In Russia NHL returns you. Kovalchuk staying in KHL.

Derlique

12 minutes ago, caron14 said:

Oilers fans on twitter want to make an Eberle vs Kovalchuk trade.

Eberle is an imperfect player but I would take that deal in a heartbeat, you can pencil him in for 20+ goals every year. A bit overpaid but his cap hit wouldn't be an issue for us.

I doubt Chiarelli would make that offer and that Ilya would select Edmonton as a destination.

1 minute ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

Eberle is an imperfect player but I would take that deal in a heartbeat, you can pencil him in for 20+ goals every year. A bit overpaid but his cap hit wouldn't be an issue for us.

I doubt Chiarelli would make that offer and that Ilya would select Edmonton as a destination.

Yeah, the Oilers want defensemen, which is why I think the most logical destination for Eberle is Philly for someone like Morin or Sanheim, both of whom are cost controlled, which Edmonton will need when Drasitil and McDavid get their enormous deals.  

I dont think it will happen too, but I found it funny that some fans around the league thinks they will get Kovy for a third rounder and others want to trade piece of their team right away for him.

Quiet sincerely, I want us to get good asset for him or make him play for us... I like the fact that Shero saids he wants a deal that make sense. Kovalchuk is still a really good player who can play top 6 minutes in a cup contender club. 

13 hours ago, njbuff said:

What can the Devils get from St. Louis for Kovi?

this is the most cited I've been to be a Devs fan. 1st overall pick, expansion draft, and Kovy thing falling into our lap.  The force is strong with us.

12 hours ago, caron14 said:

Oilers fans on twitter want to make an Eberle vs Kovalchuk trade.

Do not want.  He looked awful in the playoffs.

Unless having him here gives us a better chance at re-signing Hall down the road or something.

If the Oilers retain half of that 6m cap hit then sure.

1 hour ago, vadvlfan said:

this is the most cited I've been to be a Devs fan. 1st overall pick, expansion draft, and Kovy thing falling into our lap.  The force is strong with us.

I'll take credit for the Devils recent string of good luck. I had a baby boy born on April 10th. Since then the Devils' future has been getting better and better. You're welcome everyone!

• Like 3

On 5/9/2017 at 10:48 PM, Nicomo said:

How many bargain bin players can Shero get from the Penguins for Kovy?

Hopefully Shero is done with hiring "Trash From The Past". Just don't get it with Lou and some of these GMs that convince themselves in signing bad investments for the franchise. Kinda like, "it's all I know" or "well, that's what's left to pick from at the FA second hand bin".

Insiders  jawing about San Jose, Vegas, and the Florida teams hard looking @ Kovy  

It seems that the consensus is that we'll only get a 2nd rounder for him which I don't know, seems low to me. He had good numbers this past year in the KHL ( granted it's not as competitive as the NHL) but like someone said earlier he's still capable of playing top 6 minutes for a contender ( most likely). I'd hope Shero can get something that we can smile about at the end of the day. we already have so many picks I'd hope we can work something out to get a decent asset that can play for us now. With our young guys like McLeod and Zacha coming up with our 1st overall this year, we can actually start putting a very competitive team together. I'm happy that it looks like we're finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel even though there's still a lot of work to be done.

Edited by SeanMac16
  • Like 3

I'm a bit perplexed by the sentiment here that a 2nd would be disappointing. It's a free asset. The stockpiling of draft picks has been nothing short of a godsend by Shero. While I get the idea of reaching for the sky when you have an opportunity, I would be thrilled with a second. 

25 minutes ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

I'm a bit perplexed by the sentiment here that a 2nd would be disappointing. It's a free asset. The stockpiling of draft picks has been nothing short of a godsend by Shero. While I get the idea of reaching for the sky when you have an opportunity, I would be thrilled with a second. 

NHL.com reports Shero is definitely looking to use those picks as trade assets. I have no idea what Kovy is worth, I've concluded. 

22 minutes ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

A second round pick from a team that figures to be good might be "free" but it's not that valuable.  If you use the pick, there's something like a 25 percent chance that it turns into something more than a replacement level player, and that happens in 2021 at the earliest.  People like to refer to the Palmieri trade, but those kind of fleecings are rare, and in any event, we have lots of second and third round picks this year and next to make that kind of deal anyway if the opportunity presents itself.

How happy you are with the return ultimately comes down to how good you think Kovy is and will be.  If he puts up 60 to 70 points with 30 to 35 goals many of which are of the highlite reel sort, you might as well have just given him away if all you got was a second rounder.  If he's an overpaid, over the hill 40 point soft minutes player, than you made your trade partner look stupid, but you still didn't get all that much if it was a second.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Daniel said:

A second round pick from a team that figures to be good might be "free" but it's not that valuable.  If you use the pick, there's something like a 25 percent chance that it turns into something more than a replacement level player, and that happens in 2021 at the earliest.  People like to refer to the Palmieri trade, but those kind of fleecings are rare, and in any event, we have lots of second and third round picks this year and next to make that kind of deal anyway if the opportunity presents itself.

How happy you are with the return ultimately comes down to how good you think Kovy is and will be.  If he puts up 60 to 70 points with 30 to 35 goals many of which are of the highlite reel sort, you might as well have just given him away if all you got was a second rounder.  If he's an overpaid, over the hill 40 point soft minutes player, than you made your trade partner look stupid, but you still didn't get all that much if it was a second.  

Which is why it helps to accumulate. 5 2nds the next two years would cast a pretty big net. A plug in and play guy would be nice but a lot of the tone here seems to be annoyed at the situation and would be disappointed with Shero if the return was a 2.

21 hours ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

Just because it's free doesn't mean it should be wasted. Yea another pick is great, but Shero is absolutely going to maximize value.

21 hours ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

Andrew Gross may have no inside info but he seems to think Shero may be looking for a player & a pick... 

Think it's hard to pinpoint. Devs obviously hope several clubs interested so market develops. Think they'd like 2nd or 3rd rounder + player.

• Like 1

Honestly, I don't know why Shero would not try his darndest to retain Kovalchuk outright.  He is a top-6 forward right from jump street.  Unless Shero is going to get a player that can make an impact, trading Kovy makes zero sense.  He is a dynamic, flashy, sexy player that can put people into seats - help the team score some goals.   I for sure would consider buying tickets knowing Kovy is on the team.  Forget his personality.  Forget his retirement.  There's more to that then meets the eye.

Now, I know I'm gonna take a ribbing for saying this -  unless the Devils can trade Kovy and something else to, let's say, Chicago for Patrick Kane, then I'm all for it.  The Devils need a player that can make an impact, and make it now.  Kovy outright can do that on his own, so trading him would require us to get back something of equal or higher value, and preferably not to our direct competition.

• Like 1

Shero has watched Kovy on film these past few years... if he's any kind of professional GM he will surely know what kovy has left in the tank...if its 60% of what he once was I'll take a second round pick thank you.. if its 80% or  close Id pay a one year to see what he has, and risk losing a second and cash if he busts

Edited by EdgeControl