In Russia NHL returns you. Kovalchuk staying in KHL.

Derlique

59 minutes ago, Mitico12 said:

Honestly, I don't know why Shero would not try his darndest to retain Kovalchuk outright.  He is a top-6 forward right from jump street.  Unless Shero is going to get a player that can make an impact, trading Kovy makes zero sense.  He is a dynamic, flashy, sexy player that can put people into seats - help the team score some goals.   I for sure would consider buying tickets knowing Kovy is on the team.  Forget his personality.  Forget his retirement.  There's more to that then meets the eye.

Now, I know I'm gonna take a ribbing for saying this -  unless the Devils can trade Kovy and something else to, let's say, Chicago for Patrick Kane, then I'm all for it.  The Devils need a player that can make an impact, and make it now.  Kovy outright can do that on his own, so trading him would require us to get back something of equal or higher value, and preferably not to our direct competition.

They absolutely do not need an impact player right now. They need pieces that will come together and form the  core of the next competitive team. Kovy won't be that, and we'll waste an asset keeping him here any longer than passed this trade deadline.

I can't wait until this schmuck is traded on July 1 so the possibility of him wearing a Devils jersey ever again is finally 0.... Maybe then everyone who still wants him on the Devils can finally get it through their heads once and for all that it's never gonna happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I can't wait until this schmuck is traded on July 1 so the possibility of him wearing a Devils jersey ever again is finally 0.... Maybe then everyone who still wants him on the Devils can finally get it through their heads once and for all that it's never gonna happen.

I'm all for trading him IF it makes sense for us.  His 2 options then are not playing in the nhl, or with us for a bit.  If he produces half of what he did during the cup run it will be helpful.  Idk why people have such a negative attitude years after he left.  

"I can't wait til it doesn't happen so that people realize it won't happen"
k

Yeah exactly. Because there are still people under the delusion he's coming back to the Devils. So I look forward to seeing him in a different sweater next year so we can finally move on and these people living under said delusion can stop pining for him like some ex that they never got over.

So this delusion: is it simply delusion because you have a difference of opinion? 
Maybe we should discuss it elsewhere. Perhaps on a discussion forum. Wish we had one of those

No it's a delusion because it isn't going to happen. I absolutely believe he'll be traded. Now- in the incredibly unlikely event I turn out to be wrong and he ends up playing for the Devils after all, I will fully admit it and eat my crow and I'll root for the son of a bitch to go out and rip sh!t up because I'm a Devils fan... But I believe there's a better chance of Kovalchuk donating his entire net worth to charity than of him playing with the Devils again.

• Like 1

"It's not going to happen because I said so"
"in the incredibly unlikely event I am wrong"
did Mike Brown steal your login? SatansDevils? Yikes 

I'm sorry if I came off like either of those guys, I just don't think there's any way the guy plays here again. We can agree to disagree, but I'm not getting into a whole pissing match over this.

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I'm sorry if I came off like either of those guys, I just don't think there's any way the guy plays here again. We can agree to disagree, but I'm not getting into a whole pissing match over this.

I can't say him not playing here is what SHOULD happen, but I agree it's likely what will happen. 

• Like 1

personally I would prefer us to keep kovy here, I think he would make a huge impact on this team and it would down right help the devils in general. People would be buying tickets to see him play, I'm not sure why they wouldn't want to keep him. However if he is traded I think he should be packaged with a prospect or picks to net us a player in return that is going to make an instant impact. Shero knows what he is doing, he's not going to sell him for nothing, as he already stated the trade would need to make sense for the devils. Either way this off season should be pretty exciting.

On 5/13/2017 at 10:32 AM, thecoffeecake said:

They absolutely do not need an impact player right now. They need pieces that will come together and form the  core of the next competitive team. Kovy won't be that, and we'll waste an asset keeping him here any longer than passed this trade deadline.

No need for an impact player right now?  Hmmm, I guess Shero didn't get your memo last summer when he sent Lars off to EDM for Taylor Hall? 

If your argument is we don't need an impact player right now, then I guess Shero should package Kovy with Schneider to get some "future prospects" in return?

Schneider's window is NOW.  He is not getting younger.  He is an elite goaltender that needs positive team stimulus to win us a championship (along with the right pieces).

I'm not butt hurt by Kovalchuk bolting to Russia.  We're not in the sports business.  We don't know what transpired behind the scenes, we don't know anything.  Lot's of us treat sports as if it is the same as "building a family" and attach emotion to it.  NEWSFLASH:  Those days are long gone.

Sports is a business.  So, if Kovy feels wanted and feels that it fits his personal profile, then he will accept and play here.  If Shero feels Kovy can contribute - both on the ice and off the ice, and he comes at a decent price, bye gones are bye gones, and he signs him.

Personally, I think Kovy is a fantastic player.  Love the excitement he brings to the ice.  He is a competitor and can instantly bring credibility back to our hockey team.  You sign Kovy and a top 4 defenseman this offseason and the Devils instantly make a push for the playoffs.  Book it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mitico12 said:

No need for an impact player right now?  Hmmm, I guess Shero didn't get your memo last summer when he sent Lars off to EDM for Taylor Hall? 

If your argument is we don't need an impact player right now, then I guess Shero should package Kovy with Schneider to get some "future prospects" in return?

Schneider's window is NOW.  He is not getting younger.  He is an elite goaltender that needs positive team stimulus to win us a championship (along with the right pieces).

I'm not butt hurt by Kovalchuk bolting to Russia.  We're not in the sports business.  We don't know what transpired behind the scenes, we don't know anything.  Lot's of us treat sports as if it is the same as "building a family" and attach emotion to it.  NEWSFLASH:  Those days are long gone.

Sports is a business.  So, if Kovy feels wanted and feels that it fits his personal profile, then he will accept and play here.  If Shero feels Kovy can contribute - both on the ice and off the ice, and he comes at a decent price, bye gones are bye gones, and he signs him.

Personally, I think Kovy is a fantastic player.  Love the excitement he brings to the ice.  He is a competitor and can instantly bring credibility back to our hockey team.  You sign Kovy and a top 4 defenseman this offseason and the Devils instantly make a push for the playoffs.  Book it.

Schneider's window is now, so why doesn't Shero strap on his Stanley Cup helmet, squeeze into his Stanley Cup cannon, and fire off into Stanley Cup land where Stanley Cups grow on cuppies.

• Like 4

On 5/13/2017 at 10:49 AM, MadDog2020 said:

I agree.  I don't care if he plays with us or with another team next season, I just want this to be over with already.  We seem to go on this merry-go-round every offseason and it whips the fanbase into a frenzy over largely nothing.  I would give it at best a 10% chance we will see him in a Devils uniform ever again but I still see plenty pencil him in into our top 6 for next season (not as much here as other places).  I am just tired of it.

• Like 1

I honestly see there being a 0% chance he's a Devil next year.  He wants to play for a contender, and we're not even close to that yet.

He either agrees to terms with a team, and Shero gets something he likes in return, or he stays in Russia until next year and tries the process again next summer.

I don't know what the chances are of McLeod joining the big club this coming season, or if a guy like Nolan or Hirscheier (butchered that badly, I'm sure) will make the team right out of the game either, BUT, if they do, and if Kovy also somewhat miraculously joins the team too...with Zacha having another year under his belt, Henrique and Palmieri performing at a reasonably high level again, and Hall finding some consistency after having some good linemates for a change, do you think we're still really that far away from contending?  

I mean this whole Kovalchuk discussion is by no means working me into a frenzy like someone else had mentioned earlier.  I actually am on the side that thinks it's more likely that he WON'T play for us than he actually will, but there's always that chance, so in the interest of discussion, if he actually does play for us, I think it's safe to say he's in our top 6, and that we'd actually be somewhat of a contender.  Not saying we'd make a deep run into the post-season or anything like that, but that it's reasonable to consider that we could.  

I dunno, maybe I'm overrating our guys, or perhaps it's the mere idea of us being good again and contending for a cup that is creating its own fantasy in my head, but either way, when I look at the possibility of us icing these two forwards, I get a little excited.  To me, it seems like a fairly deep team.

Hall - Henrique - Palmieri

Patrick - Zajac - Kovalchuk 

Cammalleri - Zacha - Noesen

? - Coleman - Bennett 

Sure the D needs some work still, but if we land Shattenkirk, that makes them significantly better overnight. 

Take Kovalchuk away from that equation and I don't think it drastically alters it all that much, but point being, with him in there, I think that's a lineup not all that far removed from doing some surprise damage in a playoff battle.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Hall - Henrique - Palmieri

Patrick - Zajac - Kovalchuk 

Cammalleri - Zacha - Noesen

? - Coleman - Bennett

? = Miles (James Franco) Wood? If so, then this is good. Would like someone centering that isn't Coleman though, maybe Quinville?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

? = Miles (James Franco) Wood? If so, then this is good. Would like someone centering that isn't Coleman though, maybe Quinville?

Damn, can't believe I forgot him.  Yeah, definitely Wood there.  That's actually perfect for that 4th line.   And I agree with you, I'd rather see Quennville and/or Blandisi, over both Coleman and Bennett, but I put both of them in just because they have more experience, and I feel like that's who the coaching staff will give the first nod to over those other guys, even though I think it's a mistake and the other two have way more potential, and could even start making an impact at the present time.  

6 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Ha Ha. Every time they show Woods picture during a game I'm thinking damn, it's James Franco!