In Russia NHL returns you. Kovalchuk staying in KHL.

Derlique

What is the cap hit situation going to be for him?  If he will be a $6MM+ cap hit, the Devils are going to have to take substantially less than what most of you think is fair or they are going to have to retain some salary.  In all honesty, haven't looked at the Devils cap situation moving forward in a while, so maybe the latter isn't a problem for them.

On 5/17/2017 at 3:15 PM, roomtemp said:

From what I gather their fans hope Vegas takes Stepan to help give them some cap room.

Yup.  But, he has a NMC for the next 3 years that starts July 1st and he is not worth that plus the $6MM salary.  So I doubt it happens.

1 minute ago, Matteau#32 said:

What is the cap hit situation going to be for him?  If he will be a $6MM+ cap hit, the Devils are going to have to take substantially less than what most of you think is fair or they are going to have to retain some salary.  In all honesty, haven't looked at the Devils cap situation moving forward in a while, so maybe the latter isn't a problem for them.

The Devils, if they have to, are in a position where they could pretty easily retain salary in the right situation.

3 minutes ago, Matteau#32 said:

You have a better chance seeing Jesus Christ bouncing down your street on a pogo stick while being chased by Santa Claus then you do of this happening.  

I think you missed the joke.

5 minutes ago, Matteau#32 said:

Rangers don't want him, and he is not a major free agent, nor does qualify for "blockbuster" candidate status.  

While his skill level is still up for debate, his reputation and the hype certainly makes him likely to be a blockbuster candidate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

The Devils, if they have to, are in a position where they could pretty easily retain salary in the right situation.

I think you missed the joke.

While his skill level is still up for debate, his reputation and the hype certainly makes him likely to be a blockbuster candidate.

You think he still has a good reputation and brings hype?  This is 2017, not 2007.  

If the Devils have the cap space and can absorb a decent amount of the salary, they should.  That will get the best return, but I do not think it will be as much as Devils fans are hoping/expecting.

Just now, Matteau#32 said:

You think he still has a good reputation and brings hype?  This is 2017, not 2007.  

If the Devils have the cap space and can absorb a decent amount of the salary, they should.  That will get the best return, but I do not think it will be as much as Devils fans are hoping/expecting.

Not all Devils fans think that he's going to just step right in and pick up where he left off (not implying that 1711 specifically is saying that he will)...and yeah, his rep I would say is kind of meh at this point...it's just too hard to try to determine how committed he'll really be this time around.

He's an intriguing wild card to some teams, the kind of guy you try to buy lower on and hope for higher-than-expected reward, but is most definitely a wild card...not to mention he'll be suddenly asked to play in 82 regular season games (and possibly additional playoff games) when he comes back...he hasn't had to do that since 2012...and he's not a kid.  He also spent last season playing for a team that couldn't have been more stacked. 

A classic hockey thing is where a guy has a bad reputation around the league, and so teams are not willing to take a chance on a player unless they have someone in their organization who is personally familiar with that player.

Looking around the league, you've got -

Former teammate Brodeur, AGM in St. Louis

Former coach DeBoer in San Jose

Former GM Lamoriello in Toronto

Former GM Waddell, AGM in Carolina

2 hours ago, Matteau#32 said:

I absolutely think he brings hype.  As for his reputation, I'm not saying it's good or bad, but that's kind of beside the point.  You had said that the Rangers probably don't want him and that having him in a trade doesn't make it a blockbuster by including him in it, and I disagree with that.  Like it or not, the name Kovalchuk is still a household name.  People know the name, they remember what he brought to the table, and, if you ask me, most of them are eager and curious to see if he can regain any of them form.   Again, the jury is out on whether or not he'll live up to the hype, but I don't think there's any denying that the hype exists.   Do a quick search online and see if there's not a buzz around this.  Granted our team/fanbase specifically is looking for something to talk about, but even teams that had deep playoff runs this year and no shortage of things to get excited about are even talking about this.  

Free asset would have been nice but I seriously won't care at all if there are no takers for him. It's kinda funny actually. That being said we'll see what actually happens. These Russian dudes are always talking sh!t. KHL is a circus.

I wasn't counting on a major asset coming back and I was against adding him to the current roster of young guys but if the story really is that he just "changed his mind" (again), I hope we never have to hear about this fvcking guy ever again.

• Like 1

I wasn't counting on a major asset coming back and I was against adding him to the current roster of young guys but if the story really is that he just "changed his mind" (again), I hope we never have to hear about this fvcking guy ever again.

Was just about to post your last sentence almost word for word before I read your post lol. If he ends up signing an extension with SKA, that's that. Hopefully we won't have to hear about him ever again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I guess it was no secret that he would dangle a possible return to the NHL in order to get more $ from the khl. Whatever. 

Like tri said, nothing is definite until it's signed. 

Still would've been nice to get something back.

Perhaps it was Ray's "it has to make sense for us" stance that made him reconsider. He probably doesn't want to play for us, and Ray's not guaranteeing him anything. 

Rather than dealing with uncertainty, maybe he stays home and makes a ton of money. 

Or, it could all be BS. 

2 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

Without reading thru pages of posts and stories, how would it be possible for the devils to get kovy back without honoring that contract which existed.  How does the nhl tear it up, and let him play again.  What happened to that contract??

Original contract was cancelled when Kovy voluntarily retired. 

10 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Welp... Slava Malamud‏ @SlavaMalamud 5m5 minutes ago

There is no comment from Kovalchuk, just the words of SKA board chairman Medvedev: "We are talking contract, he wants to stay now."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a funny feeling there is going to be a lot of back and forth

5 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Perhaps it was Ray's "it has to make sense for us" stance that made him reconsider. He probably doesn't want to play for us, and Ray's not guaranteeing him anything. 

Rather than dealing with uncertainty, maybe he stays home and makes a ton of money. 

Or, it could all be BS. 

Unless Shero's lying, which I don't see why he would do - at the very least he'd be wasting Jay Grossman's time - he's said on multiple occasions that if Kovalchuk did not want to play here but wanted to play elsewhere that as long as it makes sense for the Devils, he would do that.

6 hours ago, Triumph said:

Unless Shero's lying, which I don't see why he would do - at the very least he'd be wasting Jay Grossman's time - he's said on multiple occasions that if Kovalchuk did not want to play here but wanted to play elsewhere that as long as it makes sense for the Devils, he would do that.

I agree...but perhaps Kovy thought he could choose his destination and Ray would just make it work so he gets the "free" asset. And he now realizes it's not as easy as that.