In Russia NHL returns you. Kovalchuk staying in KHL.

Derlique

I think it's a little of both, Kovy wanted to see what interest there was in the NHL and he probably didn't like the numbers he was seeing, but at least he can use it for leverage in negotiations with SKA which I figured all along. If he did come back he'd almost certainly be earning less money here, so he'd have to want it for other reasons.

Not going to jump to conclusions and believe any particular circumstance or reason, but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and thought perhaps maybe he really wanted a run at the Cup and to compete with the best in the world again.  If he just wants more money and to play in the second best league in the world, and also have a shot at the Olympics (a great event for sure, but just another second best tournament, especially with NHL'ers not going this coming trip), then best of luck to him and, frankly, good riddance.  This coming from a guy who would still like to add him to our current team.

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

As the Kovy turns, part 625,000 (2017 edition).... I wouldn't be surprised, with the Ovechkin speculation and everything, if people don't start to spread rumors about them wanting to play together again.

If that's the case, I would like to see it happen in NJ. But at what cost? What the heck would you have to give for Ovechkin?

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Palmieri, a 2nd, and a 3rd.  Do you do it?  

I mean, that doesn't get Ovie out of Washington, but regardless - no.

I love Ovie, but he's about to his the decline hard.  I'm hoping the Devils go the "Toronto" route and fill the roster out with some hungry kids who need to earn their spot. 

3 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I mean, that doesn't get Ovie out of Washington, but regardless - no.

I love Ovie, but he's about to his the decline hard.  I'm hoping the Devils go the "Toronto" route and fill the roster out with some hungry kids who need to earn their spot. 

Well I was kind of thinking Washington would at least want one first rounder, but if you're on the hope/belief that we're closer to the up and up rather than the downturn, a 1st isn't worth as much as it would've been the past few years when we were picking towards the front of the line.  Still, I was also more or less interested to see if people would be willing to part with Palmieri, because I get the sense he's already a beloved Devil after just a few years here (admittedly, I like him a lot too), but he's one of the few young pieces we have that I think others would find valuable and attractive, and would likely be sought after if we had any interest in trading for Ovechkin.

Not that he's some scrub now, but man was he a beast through his first five NHL seasons:

396 GP, 269 G, 260 A, 529 Pts, 2159 SOG (5.45 SPG), 12.5 S% (almost seems a little lower than you'd expect)...about 56 G and 54 A per 82 GP

Since: 

525 GP, 289 G, 217 A, 506 Pts, 2382 SOG (4.54 SPG). 12.1 S%...to be fair, from 2013-2016, he averaged about 53 G per 82 GP (though with only 30 A), so it's not like he's THAT far removed from being a goal-scoring machine. 

I'd still take the "since" version of Ovechkin...the guy is absurdly good at what he does. 

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Palmieri, a 2nd, and a 3rd.  Do you do it?  

I don't think I could because Palmieri is young and has so much upside, and we aren't ready to win "now". That would be a ready to win now kind of move. 

9 minutes ago, nessus said:

Taking into account any expected moves this offseason (1OA pick, maybe trading for a top 4 D, etc.), add Ovechkin to the Devils' roster in place of Palmieri - that's a team ready to win now.

That's kind of what I was going to reply with, and this is obviously all crazy conjecture and really far fetched, but if you were to add Kovy to that equation (which is how this discussion actually spawned I think), then you've really got something going.

On 5/30/2017 at 5:08 AM, Devilsfan118 said:

It ain't over til it's over, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if this whole NHL thing was just to force the KHL to pay him more money.

I wish Kovy's agent, Jay Grossman, would leak some status to whats really going on with Kovy.  Kovy has made a ton of money and more to come, so I don't think the cash is as important as the NHL team destination to sign with or when he signed with the Devs/10 years ago etc. Who knows until we hear something from those two directly.

I personally would like to see the Devs package a trade deal with Kovy to get a very high draft pick this year or next, if Kovy agrees with the teams willing to deal at the draft for future considerations.

Well, we'll all know in a few weeks

3 hours ago, nessus said:

Taking into account any expected moves this offseason (1OA pick, maybe trading for a top 4 D, etc.), add Ovechkin to the Devils' roster in place of Palmieri - that's a team ready to win now.

That's a valid point. 

11 hours ago, nessus said:

Ovechkin at this point (and going forward) isn't an upgrade worth an additional 5 million over Palmieri.

16 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I don't think I could because Palmieri is young and has so much upside, and we aren't ready to win "now". That would be a ready to win now kind of move. 

Palms is already 26...I think he probably is what he is at this point...a very likable player who gives you his all and will put up somewhere between 50-60 points if he can play in most of his team's games (and occasionally flirt with 30 or so goals).  Don't think he'll ever do more than that though...I think he's already found his upside.  Don't get me wrong...I like him a lot and he can be a lot of fun to watch, especially when he gets hot...I just don't see him getting that much better.

Would rather not see a Kovy-Ovi situation here. Getting involved with 2 aging players who are both divas during a period we could be rebuilding with young talent...meh. Could set any team back pretty far when they both decide it's too humid or something and go hold hands in the KHL.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Would rather not see a Kovy-Ovi situation here. Getting involved with 2 aging players who are both divas during a period we could be rebuilding with young talent...meh. Could set any team back pretty far when they both decide it's too humid or something and go hold hands in the KHL.

I'd accept it only if we can get Toffoli and put him on the ice at the same time, so we can watch Dano try to keep Kovy, Ovi, and Toffoli straight. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I don't think you could pay Lemaire enough money to drag him back here if his one of his duties is to keep Kovalchuk and Ovechkin engaged in the defensive zone.

Haha yeah it was in jest, but Lemaire seriously was the magic man with Kovalchuk. Couldn't believe the work he did with him. By the time DeBoer got here, he was a totally different player.

Ovie's gone through a ton of coaches, I don't know if they're will every be a coach he truly respects and fears. That's his biggest issue. 

I don't think you could pay Lemaire enough money to drag him back here if his one of his duties is to keep Kovalchuk and Ovechkin engaged in the defensive zone.

Those two would drive poor Jacques into therapy. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk