In Russia NHL returns you. Kovalchuk staying in KHL.

Derlique

15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

This is sarcasm.... Right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Kovy for Ovi, not exactly.  But the Kovy for Kane is definitely sarcastic...

13 hours ago, Mitico12 said:

A Kovy for Ovi trade would definitely be something to consider.  Or, how 'bout packaging Kovy with something to try to lure away Patrick Kane from Chicago...?

If Sheri pulled that off, I'd give him a free pass on his next two Lovejoys.

Kukla's Korner Retweeted Pavel Lysenkov

Kovalchuk's mother is interviewed, says he is in Miami training/rehabbing his injury, wants to win a Stanley Cup.

Kukla's Korner added,

DBtKZl9XYAE7C5P.jpg
Pavel Lysenkov @plysenkov
Любовь Ковальчук: Илья уже выиграл Кубок Гагарина. Теперь хочется Кубок Стэнли (интервью) http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-item/984985?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=communities_sovsport&utm_source=twitter 
1 reply2 retweets2 likes

Interesting.  While we might not be considered a top 10 team at the moment, if we add some depth on the blue line this off-season and also the addition of our #1 overall pick, I think we could definitely be a team that has a shot at the Cup in a year or two, and adding him would certainly help and accelerate that.  I hope he doesn't dismiss the idea of coming back to us based solely on the idea that we might not be "ready to win a Cup".  

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Interesting.  While we might not be considered a top 10 team at the moment, if we add some depth on the blue line this off-season and also the addition of our #1 overall pick, I think we could definitely be a team that has a shot at the Cup in a year or two, and adding him would certainly help and accelerate that.  I hope he doesn't dismiss the idea of coming back to us based solely on the idea that we might not be "ready to win a Cup".  

I'm an optimist but you sir are on a whole other level :lol:. How many teams do you see us behind currently in terms of being close to a cup? Because it's not just how close you think the Devils are, it's how close all of Kovy's other options are.

There are plenty of young guys to start getting excited for as a Devils fan but we need to temper expectations. A playoff appearance in either of the next two years would be a surprise to me personally.

11 minutes ago, bekim said:

Kovy for Ovi obviously is bonkers, but Kovy to Washington isn't crazy.  I wonder what assets Caps have that they would consider sending our way to make a push for their Cup.

Could be something there, Ovi was a big fan of his. To work for the Washington Cap I think the Devils may need to retain salary, which is something they should be looking at doing anyway as a way to advantageously utilize some of their cap space.

2 hours ago, Triumph said:

The Devils are nowhere close to the Cup, and any decent agent would advise Kovalchuk to avoid New Jersey on that basis if his desire for a Cup is genuine.

When I say close to a Cup, I mean just in terms of getting to compete for one, i.e. making the dance.  When you consider that just over half the league makes the playoffs (16 out of 30), the chances aren't all that bad.   Granted this past season sucked, but the two prior to that, we were largely a bubble team to the end.  Again, if you believe that we're making strides in the right direction, possibly adding someone like Shattenkirk in the off-season, a #1 overall pick, a top 5 pick in McLeod in the wings, further development of a guy like Zacha, AND possibly adding this guy to the mix (though I still think it's doubtful), you're going to say we're not capable of being in the top 16?  And before you say anything else, I realize a good chunk of the teams that make the playoffs generally aren't regarded as having a good shot at winning it, but all you have to do is look at Nashville this very moment.  #16 in the entire playoffs.  Considered a darkhorse without much change of going deep.  Look what's happened.

1 hour ago, dmann422 said:

I'm an optimist but you sir are on a whole other level :lol:. How many teams do you see us behind currently in terms of being close to a cup? Because it's not just how close you think the Devils are, it's how close all of Kovy's other options are.

There are plenty of young guys to start getting excited for as a Devils fan but we need to temper expectations. A playoff appearance in either of the next two years would be a surprise to me personally.

Depending on what we do in the off-season in terms of free agent acquisitions, and whether or not McLeod makes the big club this year, I wouldn't at all be surprised if we make the playoffs this coming season.  

In terms of Kovy's other options and who I see behind us, it could be anyone from Buffalo, Carolina, Florida, Philly, Arizona, Colorado, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Dallas, etc. There's a whole slew of teams in the middle there that we could be competing with, much like we did for a good portion of this past year before we entered super tank mode.  It's too early to tell, and a lot will unfold during and after the draft/free agency.  I just don't think Kovy should write us off completely.

FWIW:

Slava Malamud‏ @SlavaMalamud  

It looks less and less likely that Kovalchuk will choose to stay in Russia after all. #CBJ is a very intriguing possibility.

The Jackets are perfect for Kovy, hockey-wise. The biggest issue is family matters. Not the most "glamorous" town.

34 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

FWIW:

It looks less and less likely that Kovalchuk will choose to stay in Russia after all. #CBJ is a very intriguing possibility.

The Jackets are perfect for Kovy, hockey-wise. The biggest issue is family matters. Not the most "glamorous" town.

Columbus has some great forward prospects that are ready to jump in. I would deal Kovy for Bjorkstrand and I think CBJ might too. Their defense is young, but top forwards like Dubinsky, Foligno and Hartnell are getting up there. I mean, their window isn't closing or anything like that, but Im not sure how good they actually are and adding a top 6 forward wont hurt.

40 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

FWIW:

I told you this guy has no inside information.

3 minutes ago, SMantzas said:

Columbus has some great forward prospects that are ready to jump in. I would deal Kovy for Bjorkstrand and I think CBJ might too. Their defense is young, but top forwards like Dubinsky, Foligno and Hartnell are getting up there. I mean, their window isn't closing or anything like that, but Im not sure how good they actually are and adding a top 6 forward wont hurt.

If Columbus is a place that Kovy would be willing to go to, I wonder if you could, before the expansion draft, trade for Ryan Murray in exchange for a mid-round draft pick and "future considerations", which turns into Kovy on July 1.  That way, Columbus doesn't have to use a protection spot on Murray, although, looking at their roster it doesn't look that the expansion draft will be too hard on them, especially if Hartnell agrees to waive his NMC and assuming they don't value Jack Johnson all that much.

1 hour ago, SMantzas said:

Bjorkstrand comes here, guaranteed I get his jersey, just because his name is so funny. 

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

Lmfao like Kovalchuk will agree to live in Columbus, Ohio. Right.

Wherever Kovy goes, he's going to be the ultimate merc.  Seems like all that he cares about at the moment is getting that Cup on his resume.  I think he'll go to a team that gives him a great chance to do it, even if it's not exactly what he wants at this point...parachute in, win a Cup, yay I won a Cup, adios. 

• Like 1

Wherever Kovy goes, he's going to be the ultimate merc.  Seems like all that he cares about at the moment is getting that Cup on his resume.  I think he'll go to a team that gives him a great chance to do it, even if it's not exactly what he wants at this point...parachute in, win a Cup, yay I won a Cup, adios. 

I don't know CR... I'll believe it when I see it. Kovalchuk has always been a guy who wants to have his cake and it eat it too. He says he wants to win a Cup- but then what's the crap about wanting to only go to the Rags/Isles or to one of the Florida teams? If you wanna win a Cup and that's your #1 priority, you have to be willing to consider all your options- I'm not convinced the diva in Kovy will let him live in a college town in the Midwest. I hope I'm wrong though, I think Columbus could be a good trade partner.

Go easy on Ohio, guys. :angry:

Believe me I have nothing against Ohio- I've been to Ohio on a couple of occasions and I really liked it. I just don't think it's Kovalchuk's cup of tea based on his diva-like attitude.

On 6/7/2017 at 2:18 PM, NJDfan1711 said:

Depending on what we do in the off-season in terms of free agent acquisitions, and whether or not McLeod makes the big club this year, I wouldn't at all be surprised if we make the playoffs this coming season.  

In terms of Kovy's other options and who I see behind us, it could be anyone from Buffalo, Carolina, Florida, Philly, Arizona, Colorado, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Dallas, etc. There's a whole slew of teams in the middle there that we could be competing with, much like we did for a good portion of this past year before we entered super tank mode.  It's too early to tell, and a lot will unfold during and after the draft/free agency.  I just don't think Kovy should write us off completely.

I agree we could do a lot this offseason that could hep us, but don't forget all those other teams also get the same chance to improve in the off season too. In terms of short-term aspirations, I honestly feel the only team in the metro we're ahead of is Carolina, and thats only if last year was a fluke for Cory. That's not to say we shouldn't hope for a playoff appearance next year but for me it will be a pleasant surprise.