In Russia NHL returns you. Kovalchuk staying in KHL.

Derlique

I believed it was a bargaining chip all along, but the only reason I feel different now is that he only signed a 1 year deal- If it was all about maximizing his $$$ you'd think he'd sign a longer-term deal, but it seems like he's either legitimately interested in returning or at least wants the flexibility to consider it/leverage it again next year.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Triumph said:

The idea that a Kovalchuk trade would look like a regular trade is where you're off on this, DJ.  Shero wasn't negotiating with 6 teams or whatever - Grossman was going to bring him the team and then they were going to work out a deal.  It is plausible that if the Rangers wanted Kovalchuk that the two GMs started negotiating and they were so far off that there was no hope of a deal getting done.

Oooo that's exactly what I was trying to say actually, maybe I didn't express myself clearly. I was mainly addressing the people (not really on this site, but in general) and the tone and specific language of Larry Brooks' tweets which are implicating Shero for potentially leaving deals on the table or "asking too much." They're wrong, because the onus was always on Grossman/Kovalchuk to establish a destination/contract first and then Shero would jump on and negotiate the trade then. As clear as that situation seems to be, there are still loads of people thinking Shero was driving the ship and somehow messed up. Everything else beyond that, even the Rangers being mentioned, is just rumor. We have no indication that Grossman/Kovalchuk came to even a preliminary agreement with any team, so I don't know why so many people (again, not here, but elsewhere around the league) are jumping to the conclusion that Shero overplayed his hand. In reality, he had no hand.

Edited by DJ Eco

16 hours ago, Mitico12 said:

Apparently Putin had something to do with Kovy staying in Russia.

I think SKA's owner is Alexander Medvedev, also a big shot executive at Gazprom (which is majority owned by the Russian government), and also former commissioner of the KHL (at the time of Kovalchuk's signing). So, it's like Gary Bettman 1) owning a team, 2) running the league, and 3) running Exxon Mobil, if the United States government owned a majority stake in it. So, they can essentially print money for guys like Kovalchuk and it's very conceivable Putin and his boys are involved, considering the importance they place on Russians' standing in the sports world and especially the Winter Olympics. I'm sure they can bend anything from tax rates to money offered to unannounced "bonuses." Kovalchuk, having gone there in his prime, is in pretty deep and I guess he's making it work for himself and his family, financially speaking. Also, St. Petersburg is a nice little city, so that helps.

All that being said however, I'm done being a Kovy apologist, he's dead to me. He used us to maximize his last one year payout from the KHL and its pretty obvious at this point. If I had to guess, Shero's not really discussing it too openly because it makes not only the Devils, but the league, look pretty bad if that's what happened. This situation was bad for everyone.

The best league in the world being used as pawns to get a bigger KHL contract? Ouch. Shero and Bettman are probably working together on how to spin/address this. If they come out and blast Kovalchuk/Grossman, I'm sure he'd respond with the fact that the lockout and retirement restrictions in place caused all of this. Better to be quiet.

Edited by DJ Eco

24 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

I think SKA's owner is Alexander Medvedev, also a big shot executive at Gazprom (which is majority owned by the Russian government), and also former commissioner of the KHL (at the time of Kovalchuk's signing). So, it's like Gary Bettman 1) owning a team, 2) running the league, and 3) running Exxon Mobil, if the United States government owned a majority stake in it. So, they can essentially print money for guys like Kovalchuk and it's very conceivable Putin and his boys are involved, considering the importance they place on Russians' standing in the sports world and especially the Winter Olympics. I'm sure they can bend anything from tax rates to money offered to unannounced "bonuses." Kovalchuk, having gone there in his prime, is in pretty deep and I guess he's making it work for himself and his family, financially speaking. Also, St. Petersburg is a nice little city, so that helps.

All that being said however, I'm done being a Kovy apologist, he's dead to me. He used us to maximize his last one year payout from the KHL and its pretty obvious at this point. If I had to guess, Shero's not really discussing it too openly because it makes not only the Devils, but the league, look pretty bad if that's what happened. This situation was bad for everyone.

The best league in the world being used as pawns to get a bigger KHL contract? Ouch. Shero and Bettman are probably working together on how to spin/address this. If they come out and blast Kovalchuk/Grossman, I'm sure he'd respond with the fact that the lockout and retirement restrictions in place caused all of this. Better to be quiet.

If the league really wanted to get back at Kovalchuk, Bettman could "reinterpret" the rules to make his return as difficult as possible.  Maybe someone can point it out to me, but I have yet to hear a statement from someone from the league like Daily that says he's a free agent after he turns 35.  We've only been hearing it from journalists, again so far as I can tell.

Also note that if Kovy doesn't like it, neither he nor the players association can run to an arbitrator.  Bettman has the final say.   

So a supposed behind the scenes look from Wyshyinski:

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/behind-scenes-ilya-kovalchuk-mess-191858967.html

According to Ray, he didn't get a bona fide offer from another team.  I have a little trouble believing that, but it does jive with reports that NHL teams were not overly impressed with Kovy's recent body of work in the KHL. 

If anything I suppose it lends credence to the idea that he was never really serious about coming back this year and used the threat as leverage against the KHL. 

So anyway, here's to Bettman clarifying the rules come this time next year that Kovy can't come back to the NHL unless the Devils get something in return.

• Like 1

Wouldn't surprise me if Kovy's camp will make it sound as though Kovy chose the KHL (and the Olympics), as opposed to the NHL not choosing him (sounds like strong interest simply wasn't there).  At any rate, Shero didn't botch anything here.

Somewhere Dino Costa's paying to host a show that has two listeners and rambling on about how Kovy could still play in the NHL later this season if he really wants to.     

26 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Wouldn't surprise me if Kovy's camp will make it sound as though Kovy chose the KHL (and the Olympics), as opposed to the NHL not choosing him (sounds like strong interest simply wasn't there).  At any rate, Shero didn't botch anything here.

Somewhere Dino Costa's paying to host a show that has two listeners and rambling on about how Kovy could still play in the NHL later this season if he really wants to.     

Exactly, don't believe the spin coming out of Moscow. Talk about fake news. He wasn't getting 2.5 mil let alone 6 mil.and that would be embarrassing.see ya kovy. Maybe the vet minimum next year.. bu-bye

13 hours ago, Daniel said:

So a supposed behind the scenes look from Wyshyinski:

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/behind-scenes-ilya-kovalchuk-mess-191858967.html

According to Ray, he didn't get a bona fide offer from another team.  I have a little trouble believing that, but it does jive with reports that NHL teams were not overly impressed with Kovy's recent body of work in the KHL. 

If anything I suppose it lends credence to the idea that he was never really serious about coming back this year and used the threat as leverage against the KHL. 

So anyway, here's to Bettman clarifying the rules come this time next year that Kovy can't come back to the NHL unless the Devils get something in return.

Article sheds some light.  You know, this kind of process happens all the time in the world of soccer.  Players dictate where they want to go and the contract they are looking for.  The agent negotiates with the "acquiring club" and then goes back and presents a deal to the club that owns the player's rights.  It's not a far fetched notion.

If Shero really said, "I would do a deal with the Rangers," well, then I have to give him some credit.  I mean, in this day and age, you can't narrow your trade market by citing the rivalry.  Those days are gone.

Devils and Rangers players go to dinner together on off days, who are we kidding...lol...

Bottom line, Kovy will come back to the NHL next year, and I predict he will make no more than $4million per....

4 hours ago, Mitico12 said:

Article sheds some light.  You know, this kind of process happens all the time in the world of soccer.  Players dictate where they want to go and the contract they are looking for.  The agent negotiates with the "acquiring club" and then goes back and presents a deal to the club that owns the player's rights.  It's not a far fetched notion.

If Shero really said, "I would do a deal with the Rangers," well, then I have to give him some credit.  I mean, in this day and age, you can't narrow your trade market by citing the rivalry.  Those days are gone.

Devils and Rangers players go to dinner together on off days, who are we kidding...lol...

Bottom line, Kovy will come back to the NHL next year, and I predict he will make no more than $4million per....

I still don't believe Shero would make a deal with the Rangers unless he fleeced them or it was some AHL transaction, especially considering the Rangers are still a theoretical Cup contender.  You don't want to be the Devils' GM that helped them win the Cup.

I recall that Lou would also give the same line, and would just say something to the effect of "the right deal just hasn't come along." 

Yeah, I know people want a more militant stance against trading with the Rangers, but it literally doesn't hurt us one bit for Shero to not close the door on a Rangers trade. That organization is so bipolar, if there's anyone who could get sucked into a fleece of a trade by Shero and not even realize it, it's them.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2017 at 9:34 AM, vadvlfan said:

Iginla's still in excellent shape. You'll always have folks that want a younger guy to get the experience and ice time, but I'd love to see him here. It's not like we have depth (besides palms) on right side.

I'm actually very surprised that there hasn't been more talk of an Iginla\Devils marriage than there's been. We're desperate for RW help. Okay.. he didn't have a great season last year... but his game did improve on a better team in LA. He played over 60 games on the dogsh!t Av's, and scored only 8 goals. Then he gets traded to the Kings, and scored 6 goals his first 14 games.

I'd kick the tires if I were Shero. 

12 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Iginla is 39 and presumably if he still wants to play, he would want to do it for a contender.

He's also just through, unfortunately.  

I imagine if he still wants to play and no contender comes around in the next month or so, he'd agree to play for a team like the Devils with the idea of getting traded at the deadline.  Have no idea if he's still any good.

36 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I imagine if he still wants to play and no contender comes around in the next month or so, he'd agree to play for a team like the Devils with the idea of getting traded at the deadline.  Have no idea if he's still any good.

You think a 40 year old guy with a wife and 3 children wants to go through that?  I don't.  In addition, can you name one time this has ever happened?

I think something like Shanahan's return to NJ is more likely - signing halfway through the season with a good team who needs RW help.

Edited by Triumph

Iginla just turned 40 on 7/1.  Also has 1554 NHL games (plus 81 playoff games) under his belt and has been playing since he was 19 (12th all-time in regular season NHL GP).  Yeah, probably just not much of anything left in the tank. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

20 minutes ago, Triumph said:

You think a 40 year old guy with a wife and 3 children wants to go through that?  I don't.  In addition, can you name one time this has ever happened?

I think something like Shanahan's return to NJ is more likely - signing halfway through the season with a good team who needs RW help.

If the money's right and no one comes around, I don't really see why not.  It's really not that much different in principle than what guys like Vernon Fiddler did.  Obviously, he's made a lot more money during his career than guys like that, but even something like an extra $1 million is not something that even people of his wealth give up if he still has a desire to play.

1 hour ago, Triumph said:

Iginla is 39 and presumably if he still wants to play, he would want to do it for a contender.

He's also just through, unfortunately.  

I have heard that he does still want to play but I think he is cooked to. I seen him play this past year some with the Avs and he just can't keep up to the pace any more. Maybe he can help a powerplay as a post up shooter but unfortunately I think his days as a legit NHLer are over.

49 minutes ago, newjerseydamo said:

No thanks. Same reason no to Jagr. Complete opposite direction to where we're heading. 

There's an argument that having a veteran guy like one of those guys would be good for all the young kids we have. But, we seem to have more forwards than we could possibly use already, I'm not in favor of taking one of those coveted spots just to give it to a guy who is going to be a mentor.

After all, we still have a couple vets (well at least one, Zajac) that should fill that role. 

I would like Jagr here because of his antics but honestly, that's not enough to give him one of those spots.