In Russia NHL returns you. Kovalchuk staying in KHL.

Derlique

Forgot to consider conditionals (though I saw Tri bring it up previously).  Makes a lot of sense.  Devils at least get something, and then some more to boot. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Just now, NLinfante said:

To ensure that Shero has some say over where he ends up or is compensated for not having that say?

Basically a no-Rangers poison pill if for some reason there's a cockmamie trade scheme worked out where Team X pretends they're Kovalchuk's ultimate destination but aren't.  

4 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Basically a no-Rangers poison pill if for some reason there's a cockmamie trade scheme worked out where Team X pretends they're Kovalchuk's ultimate destination but aren't.  

Gotcha. Same page.

Some of the indications are that he wants to be on the east coast, which probably isn't ideal for NJ, but maybe not the end of the world either as long as it's not with NYR.

Personally, I'm fine trading him to the Rangers if they are the top bidders; especially if we are committed to the rebuild for the next season or two.
It won't honestly matter except our "pride"...   I wouldn't want pride to get in the way of our benefit.

I don't think we will trade with the Rangers in the end; but if it's the top haul; why not?

31 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Kovy's camp kept desperately trying to pull LA in...LA was kind of willing (not with much enthusiasm), but not for the kind of money Kovy was looking for.  I still think that's where he really wanted to go deep down, but in the end, the Kings just weren't all that interested (and no one else seemed to be either at that term and those dollars). 

Who knows if will ever come to this (I suspect that it won't), but there's a part of me that wonders, should no one really step up with an offer to Shero's liking, if Shero goes back to Kovy's agent and simply says, "Look, I'm not going to get completely screwed here, so if your client really wants to play in the NHL, he's going to have to do it for us to start, and if he shows something, then I can deal him for something that makes sense for my team.  I know this isn't how we planned it, but it is what it is."  I know, obviously if Kovy did actually come here and play well and the team was somehow fighting for a playoff berth, then why trade him under those circumstances?  I'd just like to know what kind of price Shero actually has in mind...if it's actually less than any of us are thinking.  I'm thinking 2nd-rounder and something smaller (like a 5th rounder)...there's just too much uncertainty as to what Kovy can be in the NHL at this point that I don't see how Shero can get much more than that. 

I think LA made him a firm offer, but it was a pretty standard 7 year/40-50 million, according to I think Lombardi.  He spent a lot of time in LA if you recall, but he went with the much bigger payday. 

Reading the tea leaves, I think Shero is not going to take second rounder, and he really intends to maximize value.  That's where the "has to make sense for us" comes from. 

8 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I think LA made him a firm offer, but it was a pretty standard 7 year/40-50 million, according to I think Lombardi.  He spent a lot of time in LA if you recall, but he went with the much bigger payday. 

Reading the tea leaves, I think Shero is not going to take second rounder, and he really intends to maximize value.  That's where the "has to make sense for us" comes from. 

That I remember, re:  LA...they made him an offer in the neighborhood you mentioned, but one that was clearly on their terms, and not really one of those over-the-top, "We got have you!" deals for the time.  They made it clear that they were not going to go all-out to get him, and were pretty lukewarm about getting dragged back in after their initial "this is it" offer. 

Always made me wonder why the Devils went SO over the top for him, as in the realm that they were in, they were bidding entirely against themselves.  I know a lot of what happened was VBK-driven, but that whole mess was very odd.

Re:  what Shero is going to take...what if a 2nd + a conditional or something along those lines is all anyone is willing to offer?  That very well could be max value.      

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That I remember, re:  LA...they made him an offer in the neighborhood you mentioned, but one that was clearly on their terms, and not really one of those over-the-top deals for the time.  They made it clear that they were not going to go all-out to get him, and were pretty lukewarm about getting dragged back in after their initial "this is it" offer. 

Always made me wonder why the Devils went SO over the top for him, as in the realm that they were in, they were bidding entirely against themselves.  I know a lot of what happened was VBK-driven, but that whole mess was very odd.

Re:  what Shero is going to take...what if a 2nd + a conditional or something along those lines is all anyone is willing to offer?  That very well could be max value.      

Everything we're hearing is that Kovy is set on playing in the NHL this year and is not using going back to the KHL as leverage.  If anything, I guess it has to do with him not wanting to sign an over 35 deal.  So it looks like he's played his hand, which puts Shero in the drivers seat.  The Devils are flush with draft picks this year and next year.  Another second round pick doesn't really help them all that much.  At some point, you need players that can play now or very soon.  A second rounder next year is someone who probably won't be playing, if at all, until 2020 or 2021. 

I get it that Shero could also overplay his hand, and Kovy can decide to rest for a year, but a player without a body of work for a year and at that age may not command the salary he can get now. 

1 minute ago, Triumph said:

I think LA offered him something like 12-60 or maybe it was 15-75, but either way it was way short of the dollars he was looking for.

Vanderbeek was bidding against Russia who was definitely still in there.

Now that I see the 15/75, yeah, I kind of remember that (and some quick searches confirm that LA did put a 15-year deal on the table).  Still never felt like LA was that into bringing him there, crazy as that sounds, given the offer.

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Everything we're hearing is that Kovy is set on playing in the NHL this year and is not using going back to the KHL as leverage.  If anything, I guess it has to do with him not wanting to sign an over 35 deal.  So it looks like he's played his hand, which puts Shero in the drivers seat.  The Devils are flush with draft picks this year and next year.  Another second round pick doesn't really help them all that much.  At some point, you need players that can play now or very soon.  A second rounder next year is someone who probably won't be playing, if at all, until 2020 or 2021. 

I get it that Shero could also overplay his hand, and Kovy can decide to rest for a year, but a player without a body of work for a year and at that age may not command the salary he can get now. 

Re:  another second-rounder...they could package that with other picks to get someone who CAN help now.  I agree, don't get completely ripped, but don't also let an opportunity to get what pretty amounts to free assets get away either.

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Re:  another second-rounder...they could package that with other picks to get someone who CAN help now.  I agree, don't get completely ripped, but don't also let an opportunity to get what pretty amounts to free assets get away either.

Meh, we all seem to assume that a Palmieri-type deal or a trade up into the mid-to-late first round is there for the taking, so long as you have enough second and third rounders (and we already have two of each of those this year and next).  I'd rather have him playing for us on whatever kind of deal he thinks he can get elsewhere.

Irregardless what you may think of Kovy, EVERYONE on this forum should be pumping and continue pumping his stock UP, even on other sports/hockey sites, everywhere.

SPORTSNET's Chris Johnston is on the air and the NHL channel, I swear he's parroting, almost verbatim, a lot of the negativity posted on this forum. Could the 'Malcontents' just cool it for a few weeks until the Devils get top dollar if they decide to sell him?

Thanks, Peace out

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Let's throw out there that the tweet confirms that he WANTS to return to the NHL. In no way does it confirm that he WILL. That requires a deal being made and there is no deal done. 

One of the things the NHL front office/Bettman love is visibility and attention to the sport. This is international publicity, the attraction of exactly what NHL management adores(more news/media/fan attention). In this business, they will make this happen, for love of the game and the international hockey visibility they so garner for the league.

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Let's throw out there that the tweet confirms that he WANTS to return to the NHL. In no way does it confirm that he WILL. That requires a deal being made and there is no deal done. 

Untitled.png

9 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Untitled.png

I was mid post saying the same thing as mfitz804 but then I just deleted what I was typing when his post popped up. Just missed out in this prestigious award! Ha.

But seriously.I'm all for this sign and trade,  however, there's a small part of me that is still bitter and annoyed with a guy that wants no part of a rebuild when was a huge reason WHY we are in the middle of this damn rebuild. And then there's a part of me who was 5% excited about the prospect of being able to pull my old Kovy jersey out of storage and wearing it again. Mostly because I'm stubborn and still annoyed with myself for falling for the glitz and glamor of his deal and running out to buy a #17 jersey right away. Maybe I'll just use it as an expensive dust rag instead. 

Anyway, I digress. So...basically, there's, like, no way he's staying with us, right? It's either sign and trade or bust? Instagram and Facebook Devils groups are driving me to drink with their ridiculous delusions about why we should say fvck it and keep him whether he wants to play here or not. 

Edited by Weekes Head
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Weekes Head said:

I was mid post saying the same thing as mfitz804 but then I just deleted what I was typing when his post popped up. Just missed out in this prestigious award! Ha.

But seriously.I'm all for this sign and trade,  however, there's a small part of me that is still bitter and annoyed with a guy that wants no part of a rebuild when was a huge reason WHY we are in the middle of this damn rebuild. And then there's a part of me who was 5% excited about the prospect of being able to pull my old Kovy jersey out of storage and wearing it again. Mostly because I'm stubborn and still annoyed with myself for falling for the glitz and glamor of his deal and running out to buy a #17 jersey right away. Maybe I'll just use it as an expensive dust rag instead. 

Anyway, I digress. So...basically, there's, like, no way he's staying with us, right? It's either sign and trade or bust? Instagram and Facebook Devils groups are driving me to drink with their ridiculous delusions about why we should say fvck it and keep him whether he wants to play here or not. 

I came as close to buying a Kovy jersey as one could...just before Game 1 of the 2012 SCF...loved the way he seemed so into being a Devil that year, and the way he had improved upon some of the holes in his game...I don't know what exactly stopped me (I had a few beers in me and that usually makes me that much more impulsive in a true "Aw fvck it, what the hell?" kind of way), but for some reason I just didn't do it...and the irony of it was at the time the other reason I was seriously thinking of buying a Kovy jersey was "Well, this guy's going to be here for a damned long time, so why not?"  

Glad I didn't...I never would've worn it again after his last game here.  Don't know what I would've done with it.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HOLLYWOOD said:

Irregardless what you may think of Kovy, EVERYONE on this forum should be pumping and continue pumping his stock UP, even on other sports/hockey sites, everywhere.

SPORTSNET's Chris Johnston is on the air and the NHL channel, I swear he's parroting, almost verbatim, a lot of the negativity posted on this forum. Could the 'Malcontents' just cool it for a few weeks until the Devils get top dollar if they decide to sell him?

Thanks, Peace out

Yeah, sorry, I'm not going to pretend my opinion on him is different just on the extreme off-chance that someone in the media or in a front office reads my opinion and trusts it.  Chris Johnston is actually a good reporter and knows his stuff - anyone who knows their stuff should be a little skeptical of Kovalchuk.

• Like 2

Just now, Triumph said:

Yeah, sorry, I'm not going to pretend my opinion on him is different just on the extreme off-chance that someone in the media or in a front office reads my opinion and trusts it.  Chris Johnston is actually a good reporter and knows his stuff - anyone who knows their stuff should be a little skeptical of Kovalchuk.

on point. part of determining his value is that you simply cannot trust him. any deal signed should be looked as a one year deal knowing that he has absolutely no qualms about bolting back to Russia on a whim.

41 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Glad I didn't...I never would've worn it again after his last game here.  Don't know what I would've done with it.   

Well if ya ever change your mind, I've got one in my closet collecting dust I can send your way :doh1:

I've been waiting for the Devils to get another 'notable' player wearing #17 so I can get the nameplate changed but.. no one worth the $$$ has made it yet.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1