In Russia NHL returns you. Kovalchuk staying in KHL.

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like how Shero handled this entire ordeal.  From the very beginning, he basically put it on the agent to find a trade that would be suitable to the Devils.  it seems like he wasted very little time

Wood needs to be coached up. Dude was two years out of prep hockey last year. Think about that. There's clay there that can be molded. Coach him up. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted Images

Jesus Christ I feel like we'd almost be doing the NHL a disservice by sending Kovalchuk to the Penguins, presumably with a manageable cap hit.

But if they're the highest bidder and the price is right...

14 hours ago, Weekes Head said:

Too bad it wasn't a different player...those black ice jerseys are pretty sweet.

And pretty valuable if you have an Elias one.  Paid $130 for one when they were available, never wore it and sold it for $200 plus shipping.

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

And pretty valuable if you have an Elias one.  Paid $130 for one when they were available, never wore it and sold it for $200 plus shipping.

What do you think you're doing, talking about jerseys here.

But seriously, I don't think any current contender should be looking at Kovalchuk, he changes the nature of a team so entirely. Remember 2010? We were cup contenders that year, and Kovy altered the whole dynamic of that group and we played 5 playoff games. Granted, we sucked against the Flyers that year (if I remember correctly, I was at the regular season finale against Buffalo, and the Flyers and Rangers went to a shootout with the playoffs on the line for both teams, and fans stuck around after our game to watch the shootout on tvs. Everyone celebrated when the Flyers won, and one level headed fan was yelling about how bad we'd been against Philly that year and that we should've been hoping for a different result), but I think that team makes a run minus Kovy. Now that was a much different Kovalchuk, but I don't see him fitting onto the Pens roster all too well. I think the Isles, Boston, Florida, LA, St. Louis, Minnesota, Dallas, Winnipeg, Calgary, and Toronto seem like good destinations to me off hand, not considering cap issues. Imagine getting him around that young leafs team? Not that he and Babcock would make the best duo presumably, but roster wise.

20 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

What do you think you're doing, talking about jerseys here.

But seriously, I don't think any current contender should be looking at Kovalchuk, he changes the nature of a team so entirely. Remember 2010? We were cup contenders that year, and Kovy altered the whole dynamic of that group and we played 5 playoff games. Granted, we sucked against the Flyers that year (if I remember correctly, I was at the regular season finale against Buffalo, and the Flyers and Rangers went to a shootout with the playoffs on the line for both teams, and fans stuck around after our game to watch the shootout on tvs. Everyone celebrated when the Flyers won, and one level headed fan was yelling about how bad we'd been against Philly that year and that we should've been hoping for a different result), but I think that team makes a run minus Kovy. Now that was a much different Kovalchuk, but I don't see him fitting onto the Pens roster all too well. I think the Isles, Boston, Florida, LA, St. Louis, Minnesota, Dallas, Winnipeg, Calgary, and Toronto seem like good destinations to me off hand, not considering cap issues. Imagine getting him around that young leafs team? Not that he and Babcock would make the best duo presumably, but roster wise.

The Devils actually played pretty well in 2010, but Brodeur was trash and they couldnt solve Boucher:

G1- Outshot Philly 24-14. Lost 2-1

G2- Outshot Philly 33-29. Won 5-3

G3- Got outshot 34-19. Lost 3-2 in OT

G4- Outshot Philly 31-28. Lost 4-1

G5- Outshot Philly 28-21. Lost 3-0

1 hour ago, SMantzas said:

The Devils actually played pretty well in 2010, but Brodeur was trash and they couldnt solve Boucher:

G1- Outshot Philly 24-14. Lost 2-1

G2- Outshot Philly 33-29. Won 5-3

G3- Got outshot 34-19. Lost 3-2 in OT

G4- Outshot Philly 31-28. Lost 4-1

G5- Outshot Philly 28-21. Lost 3-0

I've tried to block that series from my memory. Game 5 was my first (and so far only) playoff game, and remembering the Flyers fans celebrating the way they did in our building makes me want to light something on fire.

• Like 1

I was at game 1. I remember Kovalchuk had a rush up ice with one of the sweetest moves I've ever seen in my life and hit the crossbar I believe. The arena kinda felt like they wouldn't win that game after that play

10 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I was at game 1. I remember Kovalchuk had a rush up ice with one of the sweetest moves I've ever seen in my life and hit the crossbar I believe. The arena kinda felt like they wouldn't win that game after that play

Painful, but awesome.  Wish he had buried it.

Edited by Devilsfan118

Gotta keep wearing my Kovy jersey.   Had the entire team, Lou, Doc and Chico sign the front logo....and Kovy on the "1" in "17" on the back.   My memories of Kovy are good ones....and was as relieved as he was when he finally scored that first goal as a NJD (remember the train wreck he was when he first got here....that shootout blunder was epic).  I wouldn't mind seeing him back in NJ, but realistically know he's more of a puzzle piece of a contender at this point than an answer to the Devils' issues.    I'm liking him with Minnesota and think he'd impact them them most positively.     Then again... I don't want to see Parise win a Cup, more for personal reasons after he said out of his car window after he cleared out his locker at the Rock that "I'll be back, don't worry".    Forker.    

12 minutes ago, caron14 said:

Oilers fans on twitter want to make an Eberle vs Kovalchuk trade.

Eberle is an imperfect player but I would take that deal in a heartbeat, you can pencil him in for 20+ goals every year. A bit overpaid but his cap hit wouldn't be an issue for us.

I doubt Chiarelli would make that offer and that Ilya would select Edmonton as a destination.

1 minute ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

Eberle is an imperfect player but I would take that deal in a heartbeat, you can pencil him in for 20+ goals every year. A bit overpaid but his cap hit wouldn't be an issue for us.

I doubt Chiarelli would make that offer and that Ilya would select Edmonton as a destination.

Yeah, the Oilers want defensemen, which is why I think the most logical destination for Eberle is Philly for someone like Morin or Sanheim, both of whom are cost controlled, which Edmonton will need when Drasitil and McDavid get their enormous deals.  

I dont think it will happen too, but I found it funny that some fans around the league thinks they will get Kovy for a third rounder and others want to trade piece of their team right away for him.

Quiet sincerely, I want us to get good asset for him or make him play for us... I like the fact that Shero saids he wants a deal that make sense. Kovalchuk is still a really good player who can play top 6 minutes in a cup contender club. 

13 hours ago, njbuff said:

What can the Devils get from St. Louis for Kovi?

this is the most cited I've been to be a Devs fan. 1st overall pick, expansion draft, and Kovy thing falling into our lap.  The force is strong with us.

12 hours ago, caron14 said:

Oilers fans on twitter want to make an Eberle vs Kovalchuk trade.

Do not want.  He looked awful in the playoffs.

Unless having him here gives us a better chance at re-signing Hall down the road or something.

If the Oilers retain half of that 6m cap hit then sure.

1 hour ago, vadvlfan said:

this is the most cited I've been to be a Devs fan. 1st overall pick, expansion draft, and Kovy thing falling into our lap.  The force is strong with us.

I'll take credit for the Devils recent string of good luck. I had a baby boy born on April 10th. Since then the Devils' future has been getting better and better. You're welcome everyone!

• Like 3
On 5/9/2017 at 10:48 PM, Nicomo said:

How many bargain bin players can Shero get from the Penguins for Kovy?

Hopefully Shero is done with hiring "Trash From The Past". Just don't get it with Lou and some of these GMs that convince themselves in signing bad investments for the franchise. Kinda like, "it's all I know" or "well, that's what's left to pick from at the FA second hand bin".

Insiders  jawing about San Jose, Vegas, and the Florida teams hard looking @ Kovy  

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'm at work in a meeting so I can't check, but didn't Dallas trade their 3rd overall for Ben Bishop? Kory was looking at LA last time around, I would take a 3rd overall for him. 

They traded their 4th round pick for the rights to Ben Bishop

It seems that the consensus is that we'll only get a 2nd rounder for him which I don't know, seems low to me. He had good numbers this past year in the KHL ( granted it's not as competitive as the NHL) but like someone said earlier he's still capable of playing top 6 minutes for a contender ( most likely). I'd hope Shero can get something that we can smile about at the end of the day. we already have so many picks I'd hope we can work something out to get a decent asset that can play for us now. With our young guys like McLeod and Zacha coming up with our 1st overall this year, we can actually start putting a very competitive team together. I'm happy that it looks like we're finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel even though there's still a lot of work to be done.

Edited by SeanMac16
  • Like 3