In Russia NHL returns you. Kovalchuk staying in KHL.

I'm a bit perplexed by the sentiment here that a 2nd would be disappointing. It's a free asset. The stockpiling of draft picks has been nothing short of a godsend by Shero. While I get the idea of reaching for the sky when you have an opportunity, I would be thrilled with a second. 

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like how Shero handled this entire ordeal.  From the very beginning, he basically put it on the agent to find a trade that would be suitable to the Devils.  it seems like he wasted very little time

Wood needs to be coached up. Dude was two years out of prep hockey last year. Think about that. There's clay there that can be molded. Coach him up. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

I'm a bit perplexed by the sentiment here that a 2nd would be disappointing. It's a free asset. The stockpiling of draft picks has been nothing short of a godsend by Shero. While I get the idea of reaching for the sky when you have an opportunity, I would be thrilled with a second. 

NHL.com reports Shero is definitely looking to use those picks as trade assets. I have no idea what Kovy is worth, I've concluded. 

22 minutes ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

A second round pick from a team that figures to be good might be "free" but it's not that valuable.  If you use the pick, there's something like a 25 percent chance that it turns into something more than a replacement level player, and that happens in 2021 at the earliest.  People like to refer to the Palmieri trade, but those kind of fleecings are rare, and in any event, we have lots of second and third round picks this year and next to make that kind of deal anyway if the opportunity presents itself.

How happy you are with the return ultimately comes down to how good you think Kovy is and will be.  If he puts up 60 to 70 points with 30 to 35 goals many of which are of the highlite reel sort, you might as well have just given him away if all you got was a second rounder.  If he's an overpaid, over the hill 40 point soft minutes player, than you made your trade partner look stupid, but you still didn't get all that much if it was a second.  

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, Daniel said:

A second round pick from a team that figures to be good might be "free" but it's not that valuable.  If you use the pick, there's something like a 25 percent chance that it turns into something more than a replacement level player, and that happens in 2021 at the earliest.  People like to refer to the Palmieri trade, but those kind of fleecings are rare, and in any event, we have lots of second and third round picks this year and next to make that kind of deal anyway if the opportunity presents itself.

How happy you are with the return ultimately comes down to how good you think Kovy is and will be.  If he puts up 60 to 70 points with 30 to 35 goals many of which are of the highlite reel sort, you might as well have just given him away if all you got was a second rounder.  If he's an overpaid, over the hill 40 point soft minutes player, than you made your trade partner look stupid, but you still didn't get all that much if it was a second.  

Which is why it helps to accumulate. 5 2nds the next two years would cast a pretty big net. A plug in and play guy would be nice but a lot of the tone here seems to be annoyed at the situation and would be disappointed with Shero if the return was a 2.

21 hours ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

Just because it's free doesn't mean it should be wasted. Yea another pick is great, but Shero is absolutely going to maximize value.

21 hours ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

Andrew Gross may have no inside info but he seems to think Shero may be looking for a player & a pick... 

Think it's hard to pinpoint. Devs obviously hope several clubs interested so market develops. Think they'd like 2nd or 3rd rounder + player.

• Like 1

Honestly, I don't know why Shero would not try his darndest to retain Kovalchuk outright.  He is a top-6 forward right from jump street.  Unless Shero is going to get a player that can make an impact, trading Kovy makes zero sense.  He is a dynamic, flashy, sexy player that can put people into seats - help the team score some goals.   I for sure would consider buying tickets knowing Kovy is on the team.  Forget his personality.  Forget his retirement.  There's more to that then meets the eye.

Now, I know I'm gonna take a ribbing for saying this -  unless the Devils can trade Kovy and something else to, let's say, Chicago for Patrick Kane, then I'm all for it.  The Devils need a player that can make an impact, and make it now.  Kovy outright can do that on his own, so trading him would require us to get back something of equal or higher value, and preferably not to our direct competition.

• Like 1

Shero has watched Kovy on film these past few years... if he's any kind of professional GM he will surely know what kovy has left in the tank...if its 60% of what he once was I'll take a second round pick thank you.. if its 80% or  close Id pay a one year to see what he has, and risk losing a second and cash if he busts

Edited by EdgeControl
59 minutes ago, Mitico12 said:

Honestly, I don't know why Shero would not try his darndest to retain Kovalchuk outright.  He is a top-6 forward right from jump street.  Unless Shero is going to get a player that can make an impact, trading Kovy makes zero sense.  He is a dynamic, flashy, sexy player that can put people into seats - help the team score some goals.   I for sure would consider buying tickets knowing Kovy is on the team.  Forget his personality.  Forget his retirement.  There's more to that then meets the eye.

Now, I know I'm gonna take a ribbing for saying this -  unless the Devils can trade Kovy and something else to, let's say, Chicago for Patrick Kane, then I'm all for it.  The Devils need a player that can make an impact, and make it now.  Kovy outright can do that on his own, so trading him would require us to get back something of equal or higher value, and preferably not to our direct competition.

They absolutely do not need an impact player right now. They need pieces that will come together and form the  core of the next competitive team. Kovy won't be that, and we'll waste an asset keeping him here any longer than passed this trade deadline.

I can't wait until this schmuck is traded on July 1 so the possibility of him wearing a Devils jersey ever again is finally 0.... Maybe then everyone who still wants him on the Devils can finally get it through their heads once and for all that it's never gonna happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I can't wait until this schmuck is traded on July 1 so the possibility of him wearing a Devils jersey ever again is finally 0.... Maybe then everyone who still wants him on the Devils can finally get it through their heads once and for all that it's never gonna happen.

I'm all for trading him IF it makes sense for us.  His 2 options then are not playing in the nhl, or with us for a bit.  If he produces half of what he did during the cup run it will be helpful.  Idk why people have such a negative attitude years after he left.  

"I can't wait til it doesn't happen so that people realize it won't happen"

k

"I can't wait til it doesn't happen so that people realize it won't happen"
k

Yeah exactly. Because there are still people under the delusion he's coming back to the Devils. So I look forward to seeing him in a different sweater next year so we can finally move on and these people living under said delusion can stop pining for him like some ex that they never got over.

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah exactly. Because there are still people under the delusion he's coming back to the Devils. So I look forward to seeing him in a different sweater next year so we can finally move on and these people living under said delusion can stop pining for him like some ex that they never got over.

So this delusion: is it simply delusion because you have a difference of opinion? 

Maybe we should discuss it elsewhere. Perhaps on a discussion forum. Wish we had one of those

• Like 1
So this delusion: is it simply delusion because you have a difference of opinion? 
Maybe we should discuss it elsewhere. Perhaps on a discussion forum. Wish we had one of those

No it's a delusion because it isn't going to happen. I absolutely believe he'll be traded. Now- in the incredibly unlikely event I turn out to be wrong and he ends up playing for the Devils after all, I will fully admit it and eat my crow and I'll root for the son of a bitch to go out and rip sh!t up because I'm a Devils fan... But I believe there's a better chance of Kovalchuk donating his entire net worth to charity than of him playing with the Devils again.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

No it's a delusion because it isn't going to happen. I absolutely believe he'll be traded. Now- in the incredibly unlikely event I turn out to be wrong and he ends up playing for the Devils after all, I will fully admit it and eat my crow and I'll root for the son of a bitch to go out and rip sh!t up because I'm a Devils fan... But I believe there's a better chance of Kovalchuk donating his entire net worth to charity than of him playing with the Devils again.

"It's not going to happen because I said so"

"in the incredibly unlikely event I am wrong"

did Mike Brown steal your login? SatansDevils? Yikes 

"It's not going to happen because I said so"
"in the incredibly unlikely event I am wrong"
did Mike Brown steal your login? SatansDevils? Yikes 

I'm sorry if I came off like either of those guys, I just don't think there's any way the guy plays here again. We can agree to disagree, but I'm not getting into a whole pissing match over this.

I'm sorry if I came off like either of those guys, I just don't think there's any way the guy plays here again. We can agree to disagree, but I'm not getting into a whole pissing match over this.

I can't say him not playing here is what SHOULD happen, but I agree it's likely what will happen. 

• Like 1