Derlique

In Russia NHL returns you. Kovalchuk staying in KHL.

Welp... Slava Malamud‏ @SlavaMalamud 5m5 minutes ago

There is no comment from Kovalchuk, just the words of SKA board chairman Medvedev: "We are talking contract, he wants to stay now."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@SlavaMalamud:
SKA says Kovalchuk has changed his mind because he wants to play in the Olympics. Or, perhaps, because NJ could find no takers?

Free asset would have been nice but I seriously won't care at all if there are no takers for him. It's kinda funny actually. That being said we'll see what actually happens. These Russian dudes are always talking sh!t. KHL is a circus.

Well poo. 

In order of things I would like:

kovalchuk in NJ > Kovalchuk traded for asset > kovalchuk stays in Russia > Kovalchuk in NYR or PHI.

Not a great sign, but we'll see.   It isn't over until Kovalchuk has officially re-signed there.

I wasn't counting on a major asset coming back and I was against adding him to the current roster of young guys but if the story really is that he just "changed his mind" (again), I hope we never have to hear about this fvcking guy ever again.

• Like 1

I wasn't counting on a major asset coming back and I was against adding him to the current roster of young guys but if the story really is that he just "changed his mind" (again), I hope we never have to hear about this fvcking guy ever again.

Was just about to post your last sentence almost word for word before I read your post lol. If he ends up signing an extension with SKA, that's that. Hopefully we won't have to hear about him ever again.

• Like 1

I guess it was no secret that he would dangle a possible return to the NHL in order to get more $ from the khl. Whatever. 

Like tri said, nothing is definite until it's signed. 

Still would've been nice to get something back.

Without reading thru pages of posts and stories, how would it be possible for the devils to get kovy back without honoring that contract which existed.  How does the nhl tear it up, and let him play again.  What happened to that contract??

Perhaps it was Ray's "it has to make sense for us" stance that made him reconsider. He probably doesn't want to play for us, and Ray's not guaranteeing him anything. 

Rather than dealing with uncertainty, maybe he stays home and makes a ton of money. 

Or, it could all be BS. 

2 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

Without reading thru pages of posts and stories, how would it be possible for the devils to get kovy back without honoring that contract which existed.  How does the nhl tear it up, and let him play again.  What happened to that contract??

Original contract was cancelled when Kovy voluntarily retired. 

10 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Welp... Slava Malamud‏ @SlavaMalamud 5m5 minutes ago

There is no comment from Kovalchuk, just the words of SKA board chairman Medvedev: "We are talking contract, he wants to stay now."

I have a funny feeling there is going to be a lot of back and forth

5 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Perhaps it was Ray's "it has to make sense for us" stance that made him reconsider. He probably doesn't want to play for us, and Ray's not guaranteeing him anything. 

Rather than dealing with uncertainty, maybe he stays home and makes a ton of money. 

Or, it could all be BS. 

Unless Shero's lying, which I don't see why he would do - at the very least he'd be wasting Jay Grossman's time - he's said on multiple occasions that if Kovalchuk did not want to play here but wanted to play elsewhere that as long as it makes sense for the Devils, he would do that.

This is easy to believe. His contract is up at the KHL, threaten a return to the NHL as a negotiation ploy for more rubles and he gets to play in the Olympics.

6 hours ago, Triumph said:

Unless Shero's lying, which I don't see why he would do - at the very least he'd be wasting Jay Grossman's time - he's said on multiple occasions that if Kovalchuk did not want to play here but wanted to play elsewhere that as long as it makes sense for the Devils, he would do that.

I agree...but perhaps Kovy thought he could choose his destination and Ray would just make it work so he gets the "free" asset. And he now realizes it's not as easy as that. 

It ain't over til it's over, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if this whole NHL thing was just to force the KHL to pay him more money.

I think it's a little of both, Kovy wanted to see what interest there was in the NHL and he probably didn't like the numbers he was seeing, but at least he can use it for leverage in negotiations with SKA which I figured all along. If he did come back he'd almost certainly be earning less money here, so he'd have to want it for other reasons.

Not going to jump to conclusions and believe any particular circumstance or reason, but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and thought perhaps maybe he really wanted a run at the Cup and to compete with the best in the world again.  If he just wants more money and to play in the second best league in the world, and also have a shot at the Olympics (a great event for sure, but just another second best tournament, especially with NHL'ers not going this coming trip), then best of luck to him and, frankly, good riddance.  This coming from a guy who would still like to add him to our current team.

As the Kovy turns, part 625,000 (2017 edition).... I wouldn't be surprised, with the Ovechkin speculation and everything, if people don't start to spread rumors about them wanting to play together again.

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

As the Kovy turns, part 625,000 (2017 edition).... I wouldn't be surprised, with the Ovechkin speculation and everything, if people don't start to spread rumors about them wanting to play together again.

If that's the case, I would like to see it happen in NJ. But at what cost? What the heck would you have to give for Ovechkin?

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If that's the case, I would like to see it happen in NJ. But at what cost? What the heck would you have to give for Ovechkin?

Palmieri, a 2nd, and a 3rd.  Do you do it?  

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Palmieri, a 2nd, and a 3rd.  Do you do it?  

I mean, that doesn't get Ovie out of Washington, but regardless - no.

I love Ovie, but he's about to his the decline hard.  I'm hoping the Devils go the "Toronto" route and fill the roster out with some hungry kids who need to earn their spot. 

3 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I mean, that doesn't get Ovie out of Washington, but regardless - no.

I love Ovie, but he's about to his the decline hard.  I'm hoping the Devils go the "Toronto" route and fill the roster out with some hungry kids who need to earn their spot. 

Well I was kind of thinking Washington would at least want one first rounder, but if you're on the hope/belief that we're closer to the up and up rather than the downturn, a 1st isn't worth as much as it would've been the past few years when we were picking towards the front of the line.  Still, I was also more or less interested to see if people would be willing to part with Palmieri, because I get the sense he's already a beloved Devil after just a few years here (admittedly, I like him a lot too), but he's one of the few young pieces we have that I think others would find valuable and attractive, and would likely be sought after if we had any interest in trading for Ovechkin.

Leonsis will fire McLellan before he lets him trade Ovechkin.

Not that he's some scrub now, but man was he a beast through his first five NHL seasons:

396 GP, 269 G, 260 A, 529 Pts, 2159 SOG (5.45 SPG), 12.5 S% (almost seems a little lower than you'd expect)...about 56 G and 54 A per 82 GP

Since: 

525 GP, 289 G, 217 A, 506 Pts, 2382 SOG (4.54 SPG). 12.1 S%...to be fair, from 2013-2016, he averaged about 53 G per 82 GP (though with only 30 A), so it's not like he's THAT far removed from being a goal-scoring machine. 

I'd still take the "since" version of Ovechkin...the guy is absurdly good at what he does.