Jump to content

In Russia NHL returns you. Kovalchuk staying in KHL.


Derlique
 Share

Recommended Posts

There are probably 10 other teams that are capable of making a cup run. He's also not going to subject himself to playing under Tortorella.

Yeah I think our best bet is still Florida. They have decent pieces to offer us, they have a need for him, and he owns a home down there and loves the area. It's honestly the perfect fit.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wrong thread, but, I'm wondering if Shero just might pursue Jumbo Joe. If they could keep it to a max of 2 years, reasonable $$. I think he'd contribute. Still effective in the dots, along the walls, not easy to move. Would he come to Jersey?

Edited by vadvlfan
wrong thread
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

Kovy isn't coming back from Russia to live in Columbus, Ohio.

Like Russia is so great? Outside of a few of the big cities it's like the 3rd world over there. Look what happened to Patty. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

Wrong thread, but, I'm wondering if Shero just might pursue Jumbo Joe. If they could keep it to a max of 2 years, reasonable $$. I think he'd contribute. Still effective in the dots, along the walls, not easy to move. Would he come to Jersey?

I'd love Joe. Type of character this team craves. -- The thing is, Joe's never won a Cup.. so, would he really want to come to a rebuilding team @ 38? The Devils would have to ensure him he'd be moved to a contender at the deadline if we were on the outside looking in.

It is very Shero like to have at least 1 older vet on the team, that he can trade for pick(s) at the deadline if we suck. Iginla's a RW which we need, and has history with Shero from his Penguin days.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Beezer34 said:

I'd love Joe. Type of character this team craves. -- The thing is, Joe's never won a Cup.. so, would he really want to come to a rebuilding team @ 38? The Devils would have to ensure him he'd be moved to a contender at the deadline if we were on the outside looking in.

It is very Shero like to have at least 1 older vet on the team, that he can trade for pick(s) at the deadline if we suck. Iginla's a RW which we need, and has history with Shero from his Penguin days.

Iginla's still in excellent shape. You'll always have folks that want a younger guy to get the experience and ice time. I'd love to see him here as well. It's not like we have depth (besides palms) on right side.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Beezer34 said:

I'd love Joe. Type of character this team craves. -- The thing is, Joe's never won a Cup.. so, would he really want to come to a rebuilding team @ 38? The Devils would have to ensure him he'd be moved to a contender at the deadline if we were on the outside looking in.

It is very Shero like to have at least 1 older vet on the team, that he can trade for pick(s) at the deadline if we suck. Iginla's a RW which we need, and has history with Shero from his Penguin days.

I was thinking of this too.  It sounds like he's more interested in getting the right contract (supposedly he wants a three year deal) than necessarily playing for a contender.  One, he'd be great on a line with Hall.  Second, I think he would be good for Nico, especially if Nico's NHL career gets off to a slow start.  Thornton had the same issue early in his career and could help Nico overcome any bumps in the road. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Like Russia is so great? Outside of a few of the big cities it's like the 3rd world over there. Look what happened to Patty. 

Yea Russia sucks, but it's his home. Nordic countries are much nicer and more advanced than the US in most ways, but most people aren't going to leave their homes to go live in some C- list Norwegian town. If I'm thinking of moving out there, I'll go to Oslo or Bergen or stay the hell here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Kovalchuk and Henrique for Seth Jones in return. :lol:

As much as I would take that deal every day of the week and probably retain some salary on both contracts why is everyone constantly trying to trade away Rico?

Edited by WaffleFries
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WaffleFries said:

As much as I would take that deal every day of the week and probably retain some salary on both contracts why is everyone constantly trying to trade away Rico?

Yeah I don't get it either. Henrique should be part of the core of the rebuild imo. He's only 27. A team that can't score moving a 20+ goal scorer is counterproductive. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/26/2017 at 10:32 AM, thecoffeecake said:

Yea Russia sucks, but it's his home. Nordic countries are much nicer and more advanced than the US in most ways, but most people aren't going to leave their homes to go live in some C- list Norwegian town. If I'm thinking of moving out there, I'll go to Oslo or Bergen or stay the hell here.

Are you into skinny jeans, lol  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

Are you into skinny jeans, lol  

Yea, just like the economists, healthcare professionals, educators, politicians, historians, and psychologists that study these metrics. These countries have higher GDPs per capita and life expectancies than the United States. Do you think that's a matter of personal opinion?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, WaffleFries said:

As much as I would take that deal every day of the week and probably retain some salary on both contracts why is everyone constantly trying to trade away Rico?

It seems to be the fad opinion of the summer around here. A good chunk of people seem to think he's already gone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

Yea, just like the economists, healthcare professionals, educators, politicians, historians, and psychologists that study these metrics. These countries have higher GDPs per capita and life expectancies than the United States. Do you think that's a matter of personal opinion?

Please stop injecting politics into Devils/hockey/sports threads.  There are literally a billion places all over the internet for you to do that if that's your jam.  Thanks.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Although these are teams "supposedly" interested in Kovy, anythings possible. Speculate teams Kovy is en route? and for whom? (within reason)  Fla-Petrovic or Pysyk?   Columbus Murray/Harrington?  Habs-not much in the way of D men (Zach Redmond)?   Vegas- McNabb or Schmidt (Vegas won't sniff playoffs so they're more of a longshot)Most folks on the board feel he's not worth all that much, that's why this is conservative. I'd love to have Kovy back with us.  Instantly better (offensively) than 5 of our top six.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SMantzas said:

Henrique is not some heart and soul two-way guy everyone makes him out to be. His one above average trait is finishing, which is nice to have, but he can't create for himself or others. 

Trade him for a top 4 LD to a team looking for clutchness

Generally speaking I agree, but you need players like Henrique on a team. Not saying I wouldn't consider trading him, but it would totally depend on the return. You aren't trading a guy like Lovejoy for a top 4 D, but Henrique might be able to bring such a return. 

Have to trade something worth something in order to get something worth something. Same reason Larsson was traded. 

Edited by mfitz804
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Daniel said:

Please stop injecting politics into Devils/hockey/sports threads.  There are literally a billion places all over the internet for you to do that if that's your jam.  Thanks.

First of all, I didn't inject anything. I was responding to a stupid post that was made in response to a point I made that was very relevant to this topic.

Secondly, healthcare and economics aren't politics. They're healthcare and economics.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like Henrique, but he's far from indispensable.  I see him as part of the transition, but not necessarily in the long term rebuild.  When this team is good (i.e. 3-5 years from now), he'll be 30-32.  When this team is cup contender ready (i.e. 5-10 years from now), he'll be old.  If we can use him to fill a larger need (say a top D who is younger), I think the Devils do it.  Again, I like Henrique and what he brings.  But he's the exact kind of player that gets flipped when an opportunity arises - someone who can be marketed to the other team, who can score some goals, who can fill in anywhere in the top 9, etc. - but who isn't the savior by any stretch.  He'd do great on a playoff bound team, i.e. a place where scoring 40-50 points is all that's required of him for that team to be enormously successful.  On a related note, are the ladies truly in love with Henrique?  Doesn't the dude have crossed eyes?  Sorry if that's untoward, lol, but doesn't he??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So Columbus have said that they are talking to Kovalchuks agent. 

 

Who would we want from Columbus? What would be considered a reasonable return?

They are thin on the ground in terms of D men already and aren't going to part with Jones. Equally they aren't giving up players like Wennburg. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.