In Russia NHL returns you. Kovalchuk staying in KHL.

Derlique

13 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I always thought it would be a smart use of an asset to sign Kovalchuk to whatever ridiculous contract he wants, retain as much of the salary as possible and ship him to a contender.

Especially where we are not even at the floor, correct?

42 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

We are not; but we haven't re-signed Severson's nor signed Hischier so we'll be at the floor before season starts.

I understand, but not being at the floor at this point means plenty of room to retain salary. I wasn't implying we needed to retain salary to meet the floor.

9 hours ago, DevilMinder said:

From a shero's comments to the press, sounds like no teams have expressed viable interest yet.

I'm really curious what would be the choice of Kovy if his two only solutions are Devils or Russia.... 
(it's really a rethorical question i think but hey... ) 

Have to believe Kovy wants 3 years and 6.5 per because of the deal Marleau got.  Probably feels like if a lesser talent and a few years older can get that, that he can too.  Especially when he's making considerably more in Russia, he's not gonna want/accept too much more of a decline in pay than that if he came back to the NHL to play.  Not saying he deserves it or warrants it, but I'm sure that's his line of thinking.

32 minutes ago, Dev1965 said:

Well it's Monday! Diva Kovy, Mother Russia or NHL ?(anywhere except NJ please) here's hoping the Kovy drama ends today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully when Kovy pokes his head out he doesn't see his shadow or it'll be 6 more weeks of Kovy speculation

12 hours ago, DevilMinder said:

From a shero's comments to the press, sounds like no teams have expressed viable interest yet.

I read it differently, I read it as that any trade scenarios/discussion with other teams are a non-starter until Kovalchuk decides whether or not he wants to come to the league in the first place. Doubt he can even hit GMs with salary retainage/trade/return scenarios before Kovalchuk even indicates he's serious on a return. Rumors were that decision will come today. It's getting late in Russia though, and no news, so...

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Have to believe Kovy wants 3 years and 6.5 per because of the deal Marleau got.  Probably feels like if a lesser talent and a few years older can get that, that he can too.  Especially when he's making considerably more in Russia, he's not gonna want/accept too much more of a decline in pay than that if he came back to the NHL to play.  Not saying he deserves it or warrants it, but I'm sure that's his line of thinking.

I'm fine with those numbers, even if we have to retain $2-3m to make a deal happen. It's the 3 years that other teams might be hesitant about though, and I don't blame them.

1 hour ago, Dev1965 said:

Well it's Monday! Diva Kovy, Mother Russia or NHL ?(anywhere except NJ please) here's hoping the Kovy drama ends today.

Is there anything suggesting that it will end today?  I mean I guess he's had the weekend to think about it and seeing all the other offers come through, but I don't see any reason why it won't continue with the same back and forth crap for the next few weeks.  

6 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Is there anything suggesting that it will end today?  I mean I guess he's had the weekend to think about it and seeing all the other offers come through, but I don't see any reason why it won't continue with the same back and forth crap for the next few weeks.  

I think there were some Russian writers saying he would make a decision on the KHL v. NHL today.  

Shero also said yesterday that he doesn't expect things to last much longer, so I think there will be a resolution sooner than people think.

8 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

The way Andrew Gross interpreted is probably correct: "no decision until Monday" doesn't necessarily mean a decision will come today, just means a decision will come today or after. More pain and stress inflicted to us by Kovalchuk's camp.

Lmfao. This is Kovalchuk we're talking about. We'll be lucky if this is settled by Labor Day.

17 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Lmfao. This is Kovalchuk we're talking about. We'll be lucky if this is settled by Labor Day.

Truth, cannot stand this drama queen anymore.

EDIT addition: I also think if this douche comes back, we should have his bullsh!t cap penalty against us removed.

Edited by jagknife
  • Like 1

My gut tells me he's going back to the K, it's just so much risk for NHL team to agree to a 3 year deal for $6.5M per for a 34 year old Kovy AND have to give up assets to trade for him, I doubt the kind of interest he thought would be there is actually here. I'm fully expecting for this to drag on another week only for him to sign a 1 year with SKA, hope I'm wrong.

My gut tells me he's going back to the K, it's just so much risk for NHL team to agree to a 3 year deal for $6.5M per for a 34 year old Kovy AND have to give up assets to trade for him, I doubt the kind of interest he thought would be there is actually here. I'm fully expecting for this to drag on another week only for him to sign a 1 year with SKA, hope I'm wrong.

This is EXACTLY what'll happen. Because Kovalchuk.