In Russia NHL returns you. Kovalchuk staying in KHL.

Derlique

12 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Iginla is 39 and presumably if he still wants to play, he would want to do it for a contender.

He's also just through, unfortunately.  

I imagine if he still wants to play and no contender comes around in the next month or so, he'd agree to play for a team like the Devils with the idea of getting traded at the deadline.  Have no idea if he's still any good.

36 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I imagine if he still wants to play and no contender comes around in the next month or so, he'd agree to play for a team like the Devils with the idea of getting traded at the deadline.  Have no idea if he's still any good.

You think a 40 year old guy with a wife and 3 children wants to go through that?  I don't.  In addition, can you name one time this has ever happened?

I think something like Shanahan's return to NJ is more likely - signing halfway through the season with a good team who needs RW help.

Edited by Triumph

Iginla just turned 40 on 7/1.  Also has 1554 NHL games (plus 81 playoff games) under his belt and has been playing since he was 19 (12th all-time in regular season NHL GP).  Yeah, probably just not much of anything left in the tank. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

20 minutes ago, Triumph said:

You think a 40 year old guy with a wife and 3 children wants to go through that?  I don't.  In addition, can you name one time this has ever happened?

I think something like Shanahan's return to NJ is more likely - signing halfway through the season with a good team who needs RW help.

If the money's right and no one comes around, I don't really see why not.  It's really not that much different in principle than what guys like Vernon Fiddler did.  Obviously, he's made a lot more money during his career than guys like that, but even something like an extra $1 million is not something that even people of his wealth give up if he still has a desire to play.

1 hour ago, Triumph said:

Iginla is 39 and presumably if he still wants to play, he would want to do it for a contender.

He's also just through, unfortunately.  

I have heard that he does still want to play but I think he is cooked to. I seen him play this past year some with the Avs and he just can't keep up to the pace any more. Maybe he can help a powerplay as a post up shooter but unfortunately I think his days as a legit NHLer are over.

49 minutes ago, newjerseydamo said:

No thanks. Same reason no to Jagr. Complete opposite direction to where we're heading. 

There's an argument that having a veteran guy like one of those guys would be good for all the young kids we have. But, we seem to have more forwards than we could possibly use already, I'm not in favor of taking one of those coveted spots just to give it to a guy who is going to be a mentor.

After all, we still have a couple vets (well at least one, Zajac) that should fill that role. 

I would like Jagr here because of his antics but honestly, that's not enough to give him one of those spots. 

10 minutes ago, Bonginator11 said:

He was asking for too much salary so nobody was interested in a sign and trade, perhaps?

In any event, as the article said, someone will sign him as a UFA next year, if he's willing to play for what they'll pay. 

Q: Why did you sign 1-year deal?
A: Because in my age I need to go year-by-year.

He's full of sh!t, pretty much just saving face at this point.

Also, I think it was actually @Pepperkorn who said this years ago but.. you can tell there's something crazy behind those eyes.

Edited by Devilsfan118

@1:19-1:21 of that video...yikes.

Looked like he didn't want to be answering any questions, that's for sure. 

My brother married a Russian and I deal with some Russians in my line of work (and my wife watches the trainwreck that is 90-day fiancé, and Anfisa...good lord)...and for lack of better words, this is just kind of how they are.  They're just kind of different, and have this sort of deadpan aloof blasé (borderline cold) air about them.  Obviously haven't met hundreds of them, but that's been my experience. 

On 7/11/2017 at 10:22 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

@1:19-1:21 of that video...yikes.

Looked like he didn't want to be answering any questions, that's for sure. 

My brother married a Russian and I deal with some Russians in my line of work (and my wife watches the trainwreck that is 90-day fiancé, and Anfisa...good lord)...and for lack of better words, this is just kind of how they are.  They're just kind of different, and have this sort of deadpan aloof blasé (borderline cold) air about them.  Obviously haven't met hundreds of them, but that's been my experience. 

Nope, it's very very very much a thing. Russians of a certain age either grew up during Soviet rule or in the wake of their fall. From my experience, the whole loud, obnoxious, funny/laughing, entertaining American (or Southern European) demeanor is a strange concept for them, they actually view that personality type with distrust, like "What do you heff to be so heppy about?" 

Their sense of humor is also extremely dry and dark, it's actually pretty great once you get used to it.

Edited by DJ Eco