The Devils Uniforms

Since1982-83

I love going through these uniform threads and reading everyone's different perspectives and opinions but dammit I'd I keep going back to the idea that these dumbass Adidas stripes are going to fvck up any cool idea we could possibly come up with. I'm really nervous our jersey, while changed very little, will still look utterly awful if we gain vertical stripes. 

Edited by Weekes Head
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think they'd lose their charm in a hurry...what made them fun was that they were never overworn once they came back.

I'd still like them, but the excitement will be gone. Every "retro night" I'm excited to see them with the old colors. I'm like a little kid honestly. Even more so when I've been able to attend. 

All that would be gone, obviously. I'd prefer to keep them for those special occasions. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Weekes Head said:

I love going through these uniform threads and reading everyone's different perspectives and opinions but dammit I'd I keep going back to the idea that these dumbass Adidas stripes are going to fvck up any cool idea we could possibly come up with. I'm really nervous our jersey, while changed very little, will still look utterly awful if we gain vertical stripes. 

Vertical stripes won't work on a jersey with horizontal stripes, which is my main fear too. I like that we still have the old school vertical striping on both the body and sleeves. But if the Adidas stripes are coming, the stripes, at least on the body, are probably going. 

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Vertical stripes won't work on a jersey with horizontal stripes, which is my main fear too. I like that we still have the old school vertical striping on both the body and sleeves. But if the Adidas stripes are coming, the stripes, at least on the body, are probably going. 

What if they just did their three stripes along the bottom of the jersey, horizontally.

OR just slap that adidas stripe logo on say the chest or where the NHL mark is  or just below it?

I know adidas slaps their trademark three stripes on almost all uniforms, I just don't think they'd bring it in the NHL for the already palpable backlash brewing. I mean, they can't be as stupid as the Bridge Troll Bettman.... can they....?

5 minutes ago, jagknife said:

What if they just did their three stripes along the bottom of the jersey, horizontally.

OR just slap that adidas stripe logo on say the chest or where the NHL mark is  or just below it?

I know adidas slaps their trademark three stripes on almost all uniforms, I just don't think they'd bring it in the NHL for the already palpable backlash brewing. I mean, they can't be as stupid as the Bridge Troll Bettman.... can they....?

I think this will be the answer. Messing with the style of hockey jerseys, which I think have more of a historical feel and tradition behind them than any other jerseys (maybe the Yankee pinstripes come close), is just not cool. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I hope you're right. It *should* be enough to just smack their logo on the jerseys and call it a day, but the last line of your post is what still worries me. This league has made completely baffling decisions before so what would stop them now? Ha.

The stripes could really look awful on some of the jerseys. Heck, most of them. I think the cons far outweigh the pros here but what do I know? I really hope they aren't coming to ours though. It can't end well.

I'm fine with losing the black shoulders but I am somewhat partial to the horizontal stripes...at least on the elbows. It just doesn't feel like a Devils sweater without em.

I do like the idea being floated around of putting the black/white/red scheme to the xmas jerseys (obv minus the green ) but I, like many other fans here, struggle with change whatsoever. (Alas, I'm not in the "keep the old goal song" boat however)

I stocked up on jerseys recently (bonus, the closeout prices have been absolutely amazing for my own bottom line) and while I'm sure I will get a new one when we do get the new style, I will undoubtedly stick with what we have now. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Weekes Head said:

I hope you're right. It *should* be enough to just smack their logo on the jerseys and call it a day, but the last line of your post is what still worries me. This league has made completely baffling decisions before so what would stop them now? Ha.

The stripes could really look awful on some of the jerseys. Heck, most of them. I think the cons far outweigh the pros here but what do I know? I really hope they aren't coming to ours though. It can't end well.

I'm fine with losing the black shoulders but I am somewhat partial to the horizontal stripes...at least on the elbows. It just doesn't feel like a Devils sweater without em.

I do like the idea being floated around of putting the black/white/red scheme to the xmas jerseys (obv minus the green ) but I, like many other fans here, struggle with change whatsoever. (Alas, I'm not in the "keep the old goal song" boat however)

I stocked up on jerseys recently (bonus, the closeout prices have been absolutely amazing for my own bottom line) and while I'm sure I will get a new one when we do get the new style, I will undoubtedly stick with what we have now. 

I freaking hated it when Arizona killed off their shoulder colors, made the uniforms look way to plain, and somehow made it worse with their black elbows, but Tampa going to just two colors worked. Idk, I just think our black shoulders work...

1 minute ago, jagknife said:

I freaking hated it when Arizona killed off their shoulder colors, made the uniforms look way to plain, and somehow made it worse with their black elbows, but Tampa going to just two colors worked. Idk, I just think our black shoulders work...

See, I could go either way on them. I'd rather not lose anything obviously, lol, but if I had to pick something I think I like those damn stripes just a bit more. Then again, I'm sure the second I see a mock up with the shoulders gone I'll be livid so....ha.

I'd still like them, but the excitement will be gone. Every "retro night" I'm excited to see them with the old colors. I'm like a little kid honestly. Even more so when I've been able to attend. 
All that would be gone, obviously. I'd prefer to keep them for those special occasions. 

This is how I feel- it's special when we wear the red and green, and it's awesome as a one or two time a year thing- maybe even three times if you wanna break 'em out for a game around Christmas as well. But I don't want a full-time return... I'm in the camp that wants absolutely no changes whatsoever to our jerseys, as I believe they're perfect as is, but I've accepted the fact that that isn't likely. All I ask is that they keep it as subtle and unobtrusive as possible, and keep those fvcking Adidas stripes the fvck away from not just our jerseys, but ALL jerseys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Weekes Head said:

See, I could go either way on them. I'd rather not lose anything obviously, lol, but if I had to pick something I think I like those damn stripes just a bit more. Then again, I'm sure the second I see a mock up with the shoulders gone I'll be livid so....ha.

Haha, I hear you, I really wouldn't mind us getting the one that was posted earlier, the retro look with the black and white trimmed shoulders would work

• Like 1

Guys, I have to admit, as a fan since the first drop of the puck back in 1982, I must concede that if there is a return to the original colors I'll be smiling. If they stick with the red & black I'll also have no issue with it. I remember reading in the Bergen Record when they announced the switch to red & black, I won't lie, I was kind of disappointed, only because I had grown so attached to the red and green and felt that it was a uniform ensemble that was unique to the league - and ours alone.

When it comes to the whole 'Christmas' thing, I've never looked at it like that. Are Christmas colors red/green? Yeah, but so what? I never considered the Devils color combination to be anything other than red & green back then just like I never think 'Halloween' when I see a team wearing black and orange...I've never really understood this.

Part of me is really hoping they do go back to the red and green, with red helmets for home and white for the road.

If you take a look at this picture from the winter classic game at Yankee Stadium a few years ago...in my opinion this look is incredibly sharp! And yes, bring back the shoulder yoking too!

One thing is non-negotiable: The iconic logo remains unchanged.

Period.

EDIT: Also remember that a young Ray Shero was around the infant Devils during those days and perhaps he really liked the look of the team back in those days?

EDIT II: The Rags uniforms looked like sh!t that day.

deva.jpg

deva.jpg

devb.jpg

Edited by Since1982-83
  • Like 1

^You make a good point 82-83. My NFL team is the Bengals and I've never once heard our uni's called "Halloween." Weren't the Devils original colors chosen because of all the Italian Americans in NJ? I could have swore I heard that somewhere once. I always liked that too as I'm half Italian myself. 

47 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

^You make a good point 82-83. My NFL team is the Bengals and I've never once heard our uni's called "Halloween." Weren't the Devils original colors chosen because of all the Italian Americans in NJ? I could have swore I heard that somewhere once. I always liked that too as I'm half Italian myself. 

I can't speak in any authoritarian way concerning why the original colors chosen were red and green my friend, however, I'm glad you agree with me in regard to the ridiculousness of attaching Holiday's to team colors simply because they happen to coincide with a specific day.

When I first saw the original Devils logo in the colors below the last thing that came to my mind was the word; 'Christmas', or the Italian flag, or anything else that also matched the colors. When I saw the logo I thought to myself; "Look at that...the Devils colors are red and green". I was proud of those colors, I still am...even though the more I think about it the more I get the sense they won't go back to the original color scheme. Lastly, the San Francisco Giants really need to revise their colors because every time I see them I think of the date: October 31. I mean...who doesn't?

300px-New_Jersey_Devils_old_logo.svg.png

Edited by Since1982-83

5 hours ago, Since1982-83 said:

I can't speak in any authoritarian way concerning why the original colors chosen were red and green my friend, however, I'm glad you agree with me in regard to the ridiculousness of attaching Holiday's to team colors simply because they happen to coincide with a specific day.

When I first saw the original Devils logo in the colors below the last thing that came to my mind was the word; 'Christmas', or the Italian flag, or anything else that also matched the colors. When I saw the logo I thought to myself; "Look at that...the Devils colors are red and green". I was proud of those colors, I still am...even though the more I think about it the more I get the sense they won't go back to the original color scheme. Lastly, the San Francisco Giants really need to revise their colors because every time I see them I think of the date: October 31. I mean...who doesn't?

In fairness, I don't think most Devils fans making Xmas references ever truly meant it in a derogatory way...if anything, ironically, I think they mean it more endearingly...embracing that color scheme for what it was...unique, unusual, and not something that you'd necessary expect to work on an NHL hockey uniform, but kind of did.  The funny thing is that I don't really remember many Xmas comments back when the team was actually wearing those uniforms full-time...they kind of came later...like you said, it was just red and green, nothing more.

Anyway, John McMullen's wife was the one who chose the colors (red for the Devils, green for the Garden State) and designed the initial logo that would evolve into the logo we've all come to love...it was based on the NJ Transit logo.

Image result for new jersey devils red and green

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I was a kid through the red and green years, and was a teenager through the transition to black and our first cup.  While I don't mind the old uniforms as a third jersey or something to be worn on certain occasions, I would hate it if they changed the colors back.  Never really liked the awkward striping on the arms and socks for the red "road" jerseys, and hate the color green unless it is in my wallet. Plus, that uniform and color combo was associated with nothing but losing for me, outside the miracle run in 1987-88.  The one thing I always liked was the striping down the side of the pants.  Hopefully they incorporate that into the new unis. 

The Christmas tree uniform thing was always something I heard from Rags fans trying to poke fun at the Devils.  It was never something endearing said about the uniforms by our own fans from what I remember. 

I thought I already heard somewhere that they weren't changing the colors or logo (it could also just be wishful thinking for me), but if they do then they need to go with a much darker shade of green than what was worn in the 80's.  I guess we will see when the pick is announced in June.  Should make for an interesting day if they keep their decision on the pick under lock and key and the jersey designs aren't leaked beforehand. 

32 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

I was a kid through the red and green years, and was a teenager through the transition to black and our first cup.  While I don't mind the old uniforms as a third jersey or something to be worn on certain occasions, I would hate it if they changed the colors back.  Never really liked the awkward striping on the arms and socks for the red "road" jerseys, and hate the color green unless it is in my wallet. Plus, that uniform and color combo was associated with nothing but losing for me, outside the miracle run in 1987-88.  The one thing I always liked was the striping down the side of the pants.  Hopefully they incorporate that into the new unis. 

The Christmas tree uniform thing was always something I heard from Rags fans trying to poke fun at the Devils.  It was never something endearing said about the uniforms by our own fans from what I remember. 

I thought I already heard somewhere that they weren't changing the colors or logo (it could also just be wishful thinking for me), but if they do then they need to go with a much darker shade of green than what was worn in the 80's.  I guess we will see when the pick is announced in June.  Should make for an interesting day if they keep their decision on the pick under lock and key and the jersey designs aren't leaked beforehand. 

The bolded:  That's part of what makes the reds look dated to me...that striping red/white/red part always looked like a misplaced strip of white tape to me.  I like the stripe layout on the current jerseys much better (though the old white jersey stripe pattern wasn't bad). 

I heard my share of crap from Rangers fans, but nothing much about the Devils' uniforms.  And I've never heard too much disdainful Xmas jersey talk...I remember there being a lot of excitement once it was announced that the Devils were actually going to wear them again (not saying that you're wrong, just that there's probably a fairly wide spectrum of personal experiences when it comes to this stuff). 

And yeah, the darker the green, the better.  That would make a hell of a lot of difference (though I'm definitely more of a red and black guy). 

36 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The bolded:  That's part of what makes the reds look dated to me...that striping red/white/red part always looked like a misplaced strip of white tape to me.  I like the stripe layout on the current jerseys much better (though the old white jersey stripe pattern wasn't bad). 

I heard my share of crap from Rangers fans, but nothing much about the Devils' uniforms.  And I've never heard too much disdainful Xmas jersey talk...I remember there being a lot of excitement once it was announced that the Devils were actually going to wear them again (not saying that you're wrong, just that there's probably a fairly wide spectrum of personal experiences when it comes to this stuff). 

And yeah, the darker the green, the better.  That would make a hell of a lot of difference (though I'm definitely more of a red and black guy). 

FWIW since the re-introduction of the throwbacks the green on them have been a darker shade than that of when they wore between 82-92.  I can attest to this as I have compared gamers I have from both periods and it's noticeably darker.  Even Daneyko has mentioned it on TV and a lot of pictures of the current throwbacks online the green often looks like it is black unless it is under certain lighting.

18 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

FWIW since the re-introduction of the throwbacks the green on them have been a darker shade than that of when they wore between 82-92.  I can attest to this as I have compared gamers I have from both periods and it's noticeably darker.  Even Daneyko has mentioned it on TV and a lot of pictures of the current throwbacks online the green often looks like it is black unless it is under certain lighting.

Oh sure it definitely is darker, but I'd almost prefer black with a hint of green, if they do bring green back...just enough for someone to tell that it's not black.

I always heard the old unis referenced as the Christmas unis.

This all being said..............I think it would be great ( yet I think my camp would lose) if they had a poll of our fans and get our input.

Adidas does plenty of college football uniforms without adding the 3 stripes.   Off the top of my head, UCLA, Miami and Tennessee in recent years.  Adidas and the NHL can't possibly be stupid enough to try and force them onto hockey sweaters, can they?    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

When I was younger, I used to hear the old uniforms called the Pizza Box uniforms more than being described as the Christmas colors.

Also from what I am hearing the Adidas stripes will most likely not be on the NHL jerseys.

Thank god.