The Devils Uniforms

Since1982-83

13 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

The more I see it the more I hate it, especially next to the old ones...

Thrilled to see Hirschier as a Devil but that's just a strange picture. I mean he's not wearing a Buffaslug or Fisherman. But we have our 1st rounder in the budget knockoff and the fans around him are wearing the best jerseys in the league. 

He's the player so what he should be wearing should be at least equal to what the fans or wearing right?

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Yup, some of my favorites. I have very few of the Reebok jerseys. 

Yea the reeboks were sketchy, players would complain of sweat dripping into gloves as well as when they lost their footing they seemed to slide farther on the ice. Reebok at least tried to fix some of these things.

Do they still make the ccm's? I would get it customized with I hope Galchenyuk or Shattenkirk if hopefully we get one or both. Hirschier I guess would wait to see what number he takes. But I havent gotten a jersey in a while. Do people out there still have the correct lettering and numbers to make a true ccm classic?

Edited by '7'

3 minutes ago, '7' said:

Yea the reeboks were sketchy, players would complain of sweat dripping into gloves as well as when they lost their footing they seemed to slide farther on the ice. Reebok at least tried to fix some of these things.

Do they still make the ccm's? I would get it customized with I hope Galchenyuk or Shattenkirk if hopefully we get one or both. Hirschier I guess would wait to see what number he takes. But I havent gotten a jersey in a while. Do people out there still have the correct lettering and numbers to make a true ccm classic?

They do not still make CCMs, you're stuck with eBay for those. The lettering and numbers are (well up until this change) were basically the same since 1992, with only a slight variation between when Custom Crafted was doing them and Exclusive Pro Sports, who does them now.

I have been using EPS for several years now, for both vintage and current styles, and they do a great job. 

On 6/22/2017 at 1:10 PM, Devil Dan 56 said:

I guess the only thing that will change it is the almighty dollar. If the thing doesn't sell, they will change it. My guess is that they use these this season, add a third next year, and don't consider changing back until 2020-2021 at the earliest.

I don't really sandwich the fans who voted "don't like them, but they're not terrible" with the 19 of 50+ who hate\despise them. (and again, 50 is such a small sample size) If you hate them that much, then you're never going to buy one, regardless how much success the team has wearing them. To the fans who feel they're not terrible.. I want to believe that they'll grow on them as the season progresses, when the Devils start playing with them, winning with them, bleeding in them, battling with them, etc. It takes a history and backstory to form a bond with something.. and these jersey's currently have neither. I personally like them, and think they will sell reasonably well.

EDIT:  At the very least, they created a buzz, and an internet murmur, that got people talking about the Devils during the summer. However you feel about the jersey, such attention in June\July is never a bad thing.

Edited by Beezer34

On 6/24/2017 at 1:04 PM, '7' said:

They didn't try, they actually did fix them.  Pretty quickly too.  The Edge 1.0 material is the one you are thinking about that caused both moisture to keep out, but also kept it in thus sweat dripping out of their jerseys and into their gloves.  Devils used the Edge 1.0 for just the first set in the 2007-08 season.  Basically just October through about December in 2007 before switching to Edge 2.0.  Reebok switched out the panels that had the Edge 1.0 materials (Reebok jerseys had many more panels of material that were sewn together than CCM's) with the Edge 2.0 which was largely air-knit which is the material the Devils were using since the 95-96 season.  In essence the 2.0's were largely made from the same material (some panels still had Edge mesh which is another different type of material) as the prior CCM's but just cut differently.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 9:57 AM, Beezer34 said:

You hit the nail on the head. The people that hate the new jersey, are the same people that wanted to keep the old goal song.. the same people that chant You Suck.. the same people that wanted Lou to GM until he was 98.. the same people that wanted Marty to play until he was 52...

You're not exactly a stranger to lumping people into groups Beez. 

Anyway, sure, some people probably like these things (as has been mentioned before, it's not a 100%-across-the-board universal hatred), and sure, 50 is obviously not a massive sample size (I said as much in the poll thread), but you have to have surmised by now that, based on early reactions around the internet and in social media, the overall vibe is clearly more negative than positive.  Maybe in terms of people complaining about the new look, that will soften in time (it kind of already has, now that people are accepting that this is what we're getting for at least a season or two...it's definitely not an embracement), but the much bigger question is does the initial "WTF?!" reaction ever soften so much that people who either hated them from the get-go or mildly disliked them are suddenly willing to buy them?  Admittedly though I suspect they won't sell well long term (they may initially, with first-overall Hischier in the fold, and perhaps a shiny new offseason toy or two joining the team), it's going to take several months before we get a firm answer as to the future of these jerseys, and whether or not the majority of Devils fans will eventually warm up to them.  I'm also curious to see how many fans personalize their Hischier jerseys on the old template. 

The poll questions that would answer a lot are:

1) How do you feel about these new Devils jerseys compared to the previous?  (Improved or Downgraded)

2) If the Devils could ditch these jerseys for the previous prior to start of the 2017-18 season, would you be on board with that?  (Yes or No)

I'm guessing at least 70% of the votes (conservative estimate, probably higher) would be for Downgraded and Yes. 

32 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You're not exactly a stranger to lumping people into groups Beez. 

Anyway, sure, some people probably like these things (as has been mentioned before, it's not a 100%-across-the-board universal hatred), and sure, 50 is obviously not a massive sample size (I said as much in the poll thread), but you have to have surmised by now that, based on early reactions around the internet and in social media, the overall vibe is clearly more negative than positive.  Maybe in terms of people complaining about the new look, that will soften in time (it kind of already has, now that people are accepting that this is what we're getting for at least a season or two...it's definitely not an embracement), but the much bigger question is does the initial "WTF?!" reaction ever soften so much that people who either hated them from the get-go or mildly disliked them are suddenly willing to buy them?  Admittedly though I suspect they won't sell well long term (they may initially, with first-overall Hischier in the fold, and perhaps a shiny new offseason toy or two joining the team), it's going to take several months before we get a firm answer as to the future of these jerseys, and whether or not the majority of Devils fans will eventually warm up to them.  I'm also curious to see how many fans personalize their Hischier jerseys on the old template. 

The poll questions that would answer a lot are:

1) How do you feel about these new Devils jerseys compared to the previous?  (Improved or Downgraded)

2) If the Devils could ditch these jerseys for the previous prior to start of the 2017-18 season, would you be on board with that?  (Yes or No)

I'm guessing at least 70% of the votes (conservative estimate, probably higher) would be for Downgraded and Yes. 

I would actually answer downgraded and yes for your questions.  The thing is that if they kept the jerseys for next season I wouldn't mind at all.  I really do not think it is that big of a change and a lot of Devils fans are blowing this way out of proportion.  This is not like Buffalo switching over to the Buffaslug or Islanders to the Fisherman, it is just a couple strips widening, a couple strips being removed, a very slight collar change and the shoulder yoke shortened a couple of inches.  The Devils could have went in a much more drastic direction and I am thankful that they didn't.

23 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I would actually answer downgraded and yes for your questions.  The thing is that if they kept the jerseys for next season I wouldn't mind at all.  I really do not think it is that big of a change and a lot of Devils fans are blowing this way out of proportion.  This is not like Buffalo switching over to the Buffaslug or Islanders to the Fisherman, it is just a couple strips widening, a couple strips being removed, a very slight collar change and the shoulder yoke shortened a couple of inches.  The Devils could have went in a much more drastic direction and I am thankful that they didn't.

The bolded:  except to a lot of fans, these changes ARE a big deal, especially since not one of them (in those fans' eyes) represent a positive evolution of the older design...even if some of the changes seem "minor" by description.  They're not all reacting strongly simply for the sake of reacting strongly, or being unfair.  If the best thing that can be said about the new jersey almost amounts to "Well, it could've been even worse!", that's not much of an endorsement.  I do think a good chunk of the fans could live with a modified version of the new design and might even come to embrace it (assuming that they can't get ever the old design back 100% intact)...but probably not in its current form.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The bolded:  except to a lot of fans, these changes ARE a big deal, especially since not one of them (in those fans' eyes) represent a positive evolution of the older design...even if some of the changes seem "minor" by description.  They're not all reacting strongly simply for the sake of reacting strongly, or being unfair.  If the best thing that can be said about the new jersey almost amounts to "Well, it could've been even worse!", that's not much of an endorsement.  I do think a good chunk of the fans could live with a modified version of the new design and might even come of embrace it, if they can't get the old design back 100% intact...but probably not in its current form.   

I disagree and think a good chunk of them are.

While yes I am not putting in a ringing endorsement of them, I am waiting to see how they look on the ice.  Most of the initial outrage came from the poor digital mockup that Adidas released.  Once the first actual photo of the jersey came out on the mannequin, a decent chunk of the outrage subsided.  Then when pictures of the aways came out, even more of the outrage subsided further.  I really do think these will look better on the players with equipment on the ice, so I am at least giving it a chance which is a lot more than what a lot of Devils fans are doing.

8 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

While yes I am not putting in a ringing endorsement of them, I am waiting to see how they look on the ice.  Most of the initial outrage came from the poor digital mockup that Adidas released.  Once the first actual photo of the jersey came out on the mannequin, a decent chunk of the outrage subsided.  Then when pictures of the aways came out, even more of the outrage subsided further.  I really do think these will look better on the players with equipment on the ice, so I am at least giving it a chance which is a lot more than what a lot of Devils fans are doing.

The aways came out? I'll have to look that up. I assume its the same idea

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

I do think they will look better on the ice than on fans and in digital mockups (I said this in an earlier post...the oversized white stripes will be de-emphasized through normal wrinkling during play)...it definitely didn't look terribly good on Hischier (I was hoping that might sway my opinion) as preview to how it will look on fans, which was kind of disappointing...I wanted to be swayed. 

Aways were better, though still not great...as far as the homes go, do away with the truncated shoulders (ditto away) and swap the white and black stripe pattern, I could probably live with both jerseys...wouldn't like them as much as the previous, but I wouldn't be as "WTF?!" about them for sure. 

4 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

The aways came out? I'll have to look that up. I assume its the same idea

On a scale of 1 to 10, I give the homes a 3, and the aways a 6.  Not having those oversized white stripes helps the template a lot. 

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I do think they will look better on the ice than on fans and in digital mockups (I said this in an earlier post...the oversized white stripes will be de-emphasized through normal wrinkling during play)...it definitely didn't look terribly good on Hischier (I was hoping that might sway my opinion) as preview to how it will look on fans, which was kind of disappointing...I wanted to be swayed. 

Aways were better, though still not great...as far as the homes go, do away with the truncated shoulders (ditto away) and swap the white and black stripe pattern, I could probably live with both jerseys...wouldn't like them as much as the previous, but I wouldn't be as "WTF?!" about them for sure. 

On a scale of 1 to 10, I give the homes a 3, and the aways a 6.  Not having those oversized white stripes helps the template a lot. 

That's fair and overall your reaction is more reasonable than a lot of fans have been who have hated it since the beginning.  I don't have expectations for universal love and understand why a majority of fans hate it, but the reactions are just way over the top.

The aways do look more sharp than the home ones.  What's funny is that for CCM's I always thought the whites look better than the reds.  On the Reebok's, the reds looked better than the whites.  Now it has flip flopped back again for me.

50 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

That's fair and overall your reaction is more reasonable than a lot of fans have been who have hated it since the beginning.  I don't have expectations for universal love and understand why a majority of fans hate it, but the reactions are just way over the top.

The aways do look more sharp than the home ones.  What's funny is that for CCM's I always thought the whites look better than the reds.  On the Reebok's, the reds looked better than the whites.  Now it has flip flopped back again for me.

I think I probably agree with you, though I have more red in my collection than white regardless of manufacturer. But I really started collecting when the Edges were already out and the reds already looked so good, so that could have carried over to my older stuff as well. 

Did this get posted up? Haven't seen it anywhere. Road jerseys. 

Screenshot_20170626-171730.thumb.png.0022f6fdb946b6ad5a37f2bfef3889e3.png

The black stripe at the bottom of the jersey is annoying but additionally it is completely pointless. The shorts are black, so you don't even see it when the players are wearing the jersey. 

It just makes them look really short. 

Who's fvcking idea was that?

3 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

The black stripe at the bottom of the jersey is annoying but additionally it is completely pointless. The shorts are black, so you don't even see it when the players are wearing the jersey. 

It just makes them look really short. 

Who's fvcking idea was that?

MD2020 had an interesting post...for whatever it's worth, supposedly it was one (very high-ranking) person in the Devils franchise who was really pushing for a redesign, and it's hinted at in the post that whoever that was wanted go even further, but was shut down...I take that to mean that the logo could've been deep-sixed if that individual had his way. 

Might as well change out the small black stripe for a small red one, with a larger black stripe above that...at least there would be some contrast with the pants...and the small red stripe could tie in with the collar red stripe. 

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

MD2020 had an interesting post...for whatever it's worth, supposedly it was one (very high-ranking) person in the Devils franchise who was really pushing for a redesign, and it's hinted at in the post that whoever that was wanted go even further, but was shut down...I take that to mean that the logo could've been deep-sixed if that individual had his way. 

Might as well change out the small black stripe for a small red one, with a larger black stripe above that...at least there would be some contrast with the pants...and the small red stripe could tie in with the collar red stripe. 

Yeah totally agree. At least it would then serve some form of asthetic purpose. 

Even a white stripe with a red above and then a black would look better. 

21 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Curious who this guy would be. I actually don't think it's any of the owners because they really don't care too much it seems. Maybe Hugh Weber? He seems to be an idiot

11 minutes ago, '7' said:

Curious who this guy would be. I actually don't think it's any of the owners because they really don't care too much it seems. Maybe Hugh Weber? He seems to be an idiot

According to what he posted, it wasn't ownership. But someone in those offices is feeling the heat from his co-workers this week. 

43 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Yeah totally agree. At least it would then serve some form of asthetic purpose. 

Even a white stripe with a red above and then a black would look better. 

I agree but now we're talking simply aesthetics. It would be better, but I'm not going to jump off a bridge because they didn't do it. 

Those away jerseys, in my opinion, look fantastic. There's something very old time hockey sweater about the whole design and I like that aspect of it. 

1 minute ago, '7' said:

We'll likely never know exactly what happened, but the new design reeks of a "meeting in the middle, too many chefs in the kitchen" kind of clusterfvck compromising, where one guy probably had a very radical idea in mind (including a different logo), then someone else said "No, whatever we do, let's not mess with the logo, but we're open to other ideas".  Then it almost seems like "OK, let's change some stuff a little, but not TOO much" was the mentality...with a last second "Well let's now pay homage to franchises we've basically completely ignored since the team's been here" thrown in for good measure.  The end result looks more like what you'd see after a brainstorming session, than a final product. 

If there WAS an actual radical redesign ever mocked up, I'd like to see it, just to see how a completely uncompromised vision of a new Devils jersey might have looked...not saying that I would've liked it, but at least it wouldn't have been too many ideas not coming together. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I agree but now we're talking simply aesthetics. It would be better, but I'm not going to jump off a bridge because they didn't do it. 

Those away jerseys, in my opinion, look fantastic. There's something very old time hockey sweater about the whole design and I like that aspect of it. 

Not that I'd ever want these on a Devils jersey so I am definitely not advocating for this, but as far the away jersey goes, I could actually see laces not looking out of place on that one. 

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

We'll likely never know exactly what happened, but the new design reeks of a "meeting in the middle, too many chefs in the kitchen" kind of clusterfvck compromising, where one guy probably had a very radical idea in mind (including a different logo), then someone else said "No, whatever we do, let's not mess with the logo, but we're open to other ideas".  Then it almost seems like "OK, let's change some stuff a little, but not TOO much" was the mentality...with a last second "Well let's now pay homage to franchises we've basically completely ignored since the team's been here" thrown in for good measure.  The end result looks more like what you'd see after a brainstorming session, than a final product. 

If there WAS an actual radical redesign ever mocked up, I'd like to see it, just to see how a completely uncompromised vision of a new Devils jersey might have looked...not saying that I would've liked it, but at least it wouldn't have been too many ideas not coming together. 

Not that I'd ever want these on a Devils jersey so I am definitely not advocating for this, but as far the away jersey goes, I could actually see laces not looking out of place on that one. 

Agreed. Don't do it but it wouldn't look awful.