The Devils Uniforms

Since1982-83

20 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

They aren't going to go back to the old jersey because a handful of fans can't handle change. 

That's as objectively wrong as a statement using a relative term such as "handful" can be. I bet if you repeat the idea to yourself that only a small number of fans are upset, you might even start to believe it.

27 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

That's as objectively wrong as a statement using a relative term such as "handful" can be. I bet if you repeat the idea to yourself that only a small number of fans are upset, you might even start to believe it.

There are only a handful of fans that are upset about it enough to try to mount some kind of protest. And as your post indicated, that number is getting smaller and smaller. Good luck in your quest. 

45 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

They aren't going to go back to the old jersey because a handful of fans can't handle change. 

It's a lot more than a handful.  But not everyone who isn't feeling the change is going to speak up about it.  Anyway, it's been discussed; it's going to be (lack of) sales that dictates the future of the new jerseys.  

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's a lot more than a handful.  But not everyone who isn't feeling the change is going to speak up about it.  Anyway, it's been discussed; it's going to be (lack of) sales that dictates the future of the new jerseys.  

We shall see, but probably not this year. There are definitely a ton of hardcore fans who are going to buy the new one just because it's the new one, or just because it's what's available at the arena/team srore/retail outlets. And a lot of those people wouldn't otherwise be buying a new (old) jersey, so it will skew the sales stats higher than expected, in my opinion. 

35 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You can also say the converse of that where a lot of fans dig the new design but don't say anything.

if the team is even halfway compelling this year the jersey issue will be dead before the season is over.

9 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

You can also say the converse of that where a lot of fans dig the new design but don't say anything.

if the team is even halfway compelling this year the jersey issue will be dead before the season is over.

I think they're two different issues.  Sure, we'll be thrilled if the team is competitive, but the jersey change is still going to irk those who don't like it.  For me, it's simple:  I don't like 'em, so I ain't buyin'.  With the jerseys I already have and the two "special" ones that I just bought (you know about those two), I feel like I'm well-covered on the jersey front.  I may eventually buy a Hischier on the old template, but that'll be it.  

I still firmly believe that the majority of Devils fans would welcome the return of the old design ASAP...even if they're not going all-out to let ownership know about it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think they're two different issues.  Sure, we'll be thrilled if the team is competitive, but the jersey change is still going to irk those who don't like it.  For me, it's simple:  I don't like 'em, so I ain't buyin'.  With the jerseys I already have and the two "special" ones that I just bought (you know about those two), I feel like I'm well-covered on the jersey front.  I may eventually buy a Hischier on the old template, but that'll be it.  

I still firmly believe that the majority of Devils fans would welcome the return of the old design ASAP...even if they're not going all-out to let ownership know about it.

I'd agree with you on that one, there's nobody I have spoken to or read a post from that would have a reaction to going back. 

47 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

We shall see, but probably not this year. There are definitely a ton of hardcore fans who are going to buy the new one just because it's the new one, or just because it's what's available at the arena/team srore/retail outlets. And a lot of those people wouldn't otherwise be buying a new (old) jersey, so it will skew the sales stats higher than expected, in my opinion. 

Yeah, been through it, between Hischier and the "gotta have it because it's new" crowd, the new jerseys should do ok in the short term.  It's beyond that that I'm curious to see.

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, been through it, between Hischier and the "gotta have it because it's new" crowd, the new jerseys should do ok in the short term.  It's beyond that that I'm curious to see.

Don't forget, anyone who has been to the arena knows, the crappy heat pressed replicas they sell in the arena are prevalent, tons of people are wearing them. If they don't have the old ones remaining (possible whatever stock they still have, they'll be blowing out?), they will sell for sure, and like you said, there will be a zillion Hischier jerseys this season.

I'll probably have one of them. 

21 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think it will be less of a focus on the jerseys if the team is somewhat good or compelling this year.  When you have a year like we just had, things like the goal song, you suck chant, etc get a lot more attention/focus than if the team is good.  

Def agree that vast majority of fans would welcome the change back.  However I think there would be less resistance to the new ones for the reasons I said before.

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

I think it will be less of a focus on the jerseys if the team is somewhat good or compelling this year.  When you have a year like we just had, things like the goal song, you suck chant, etc get a lot more attention/focus than if the team is good.  

Def agree that vast majority of fans would welcome the change back.  However I think there would be less resistance to the new ones for the reasons I said before.

A better or more compelling team will help on a lot of fronts for sure...I've pointed out on a number of occasions that a lot of factors that we don't pay too much attention to in good times will get brought up and scrutinized during lean years.

I do think of all the things that get minimized in good times, the jerseys are a different beast...these had become sacred to a lot of fans, and they still are...I don't see that kind of love ever being poured out for the redesign.  What's kind of funny is that if ownership ever actually decides to go back to the old red and black, they will probably NEVER worry about having to mess around with a refresh or redesign ever again...the fanbase will be that happy to have their jerseys back.  

• Like 2

I don't anticipate myself buying a jersey unless Nico Hischier comes in and puts up 60 points in his first season, otherwise I might impulsively buy one out of love.

I honestly believe next year they're going to reintroduce the red & green retros as a full time 3rd, and when the jersey sales of that jersey blow away the new unis they're gonna switch back to the retros full time. I think in 3 years, we'll be back in the 1980 retros full time, and I wouldn't really complain with that.

16 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

A better or more compelling team will help on a lot of fronts for sure...I've pointed out on a number of occasions that a lot of factors that we don't pay too much attention to in good times will get brought up and scrutinized during lean years.

I do think of all the things that get minimized in good times, the jerseys are a different beast...these had become sacred to a lot of fans, and they still are...I don't see that kind of love ever being poured out for the redesign.  What's kind of funny is that if ownership ever actually decides to go back to the old red and black, they will probably NEVER worry about having to mess around with a refresh or redesign ever again...the fanbase will be that happy to have their jerseys back.  

Sacred?   Only the logo is sacred.  The uniforms.................eh.............we never had anything special once they lost their roots.  Just another drab uniform with the best logo

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

What logic is that? I think the "hardcore" fans wouldn't even touch this jersey. They'll be sticking with their RBK or CCMs. The only people buying these will be the casual-"is Tootoo still on the team?"-fans

32 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

What logic is that? I think the "hardcore" fans wouldn't even touch this jersey. They'll be sticking with their RBK or CCMs. The only people buying these will be the casual-"is Tootoo still on the team?"-fans

I think he might have meant hardcore jersey collectors.  I will get a gamer cause frankly it's what I collect and it is different.

Quite frankly hardcore fan of the team and hardcore jersey collectors are a separate thing.  I see a lot of hardcore fans wearing knockoffs and vice versa. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Sacred?   Only the logo is sacred.  The uniforms.................eh.............we never had anything special once they lost their roots.  Just another drab uniform with the best logo

Except for a lot of younger fans (not you and me), it's the red and black that means everything to them...the red and greens might as well be an old black and white movie to them...they're not old enough to remember why green was even chosen in the first place.  It's also what was accomplished in the red and blacks that made them extra-special to a lot of fans.  It goes beyond the simple design (which just flat-out worked), and though you clearly aren't a fan of the "old" red and blacks, the outcry over the change speaks volumes...there was no such outcry when the red and greens were put out to pasture.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

This is the question we'll see the answer to soon enough.  I won't buy one, guys like '7' won't...but what about the casual fan?  Does a lot of hardcore group feel like I do?  I suspect that they do, but sales might say otherwise.  

20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This is the question we'll see the answer to soon enough.  I won't buy one, guys like '7' won't...but what about the casual fan?  Does a lot of hardcore group feel like I do?  I suspect that they do, but sales might say otherwise.  

I won't buy one, but I'm sure plenty of people will, especially if Nico makes the team out of camp.  There's a lot of buzz and excitement around the kid, and people will go out and buy his jersey, especially the casual fans.  If I get a Nico jersey, it will be put on a blank Edge that I pick up and send out for customization. 

1 hour ago, CommonDreads said:

I don't anticipate myself buying a jersey unless Nico Hischier comes in and puts up 60 points in his first season, otherwise I might impulsively buy one out of love.

I honestly believe next year they're going to reintroduce the red & green retros as a full time 3rd, and when the jersey sales of that jersey blow away the new unis they're gonna switch back to the retros full time. I think in 3 years, we'll be back in the 1980 retros full time, and I wouldn't really complain with that.

I'd sign up for that. 

59 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

26 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I think he might have meant hardcore jersey collectors.  I will get a gamer cause frankly it's what I collect and it is different.

Quite frankly hardcore fan of the team and hardcore jersey collectors are a separate thing.  I see a lot of hardcore fans wearing knockoffs and vice versa. 

Its flawless logic. There are plenty of hardcore fans who will buy it because that's what's being worn on the ice. Then there are people, both hardcore and casual, who will buy it just because its new. Then there are still more people who will buy it at the arena or in stores because its what is being made available and they want a jersey.

The idea in you head that no true fans of the team are going to buy the new jersey is laughable; in reality, the number of people who are so offended by it that they will refuse to buy one is probably so infinitesimal that it won't make a difference; plus, by your logic, there are plenty of fans who will be good with what they have, which means they likely weren't in the market for a jersey anyway so they matter even less in terms of their effect on sales. 

Jersey collectors like our friend DevsMan84 and myself cannot be stopped or controlled, so we'll be buying them regardless. I think I once said in this forum or another, they could put out a jersey with a flaming dildo on the front of it and I would still buy it because I am that into the team and into collecting jerseys.

I was definitely hoping they had not read that post when they implemented the jersey changes, and I am thankful they didn't see that post and thing it was a good idea. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Except for a lot of younger fans (not you and me), it's the red and black that means everything to them...the red and greens might as well be an old black and white movie to them...they're not old enough to remember why green was even chosen in the first place.  It's also what was accomplished in the red and blacks that made them extra-special to a lot of fans.  It goes beyond the simple design (which just flat-out worked), and though you clearly aren't a fan of the "old" red and blacks, the outcry over the change speaks volumes...there was no such outcry when the red and greens were put out to pasture.  

Agreed

1 hour ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Holy sh!t Jimmy we get it already, you like the red and greens

lol.   Is it that apparent?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I'd sign up for that. 

Its flawless logic. There are plenty of hardcore fans who will buy it because that's what's being worn on the ice. Then there are people, both hardcore and casual, who will buy it just because its new. Then there are still more people who will buy it at the arena or in stores because its what is being made available and they want a jersey.

The idea in you head that no true fans of the team are going to buy the new jersey is laughable; in reality, the number of people who are so offended by it that they will refuse to buy one is probably so infinitesimal that it won't make a difference; plus, by your logic, there are plenty of fans who will be good with what they have, which means they likely weren't in the market for a jersey anyway so they matter even less in terms of their effect on sales. 

Jersey collectors like our friend DevsMan84 and myself cannot be stopped or controlled, so we'll be buying them regardless. I think I once said in this forum or another, they could put out a jersey with a flaming dildo on the front of it and I would still buy it because I am that into the team and into collecting jerseys.

I was definitely hoping they had not read that post when they implemented the jersey changes, and I am thankful they didn't see that post and thing it was a good idea. 

lol not sure if I would go out and get one if there was a flaming dildo on it.  Might be a little much for me.

Gay vampires......maybe.....