The Devils Uniforms

Since1982-83

35 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

It's really only a matter of when it happens at this point. 

Yup agree.  I highly doubt it will reach the levels of some of the European leagues where the players look like they could race for NASCAR in their jerseys, but one or two patches is eventually coming.  I give it 5 years or less.

33 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

It's really only a matter of when it happens at this point. 

Don't want to get too far ahead of myself here, but if this does happen, the spot where the lower stripes were axed on the new Devils jersey will obviously be a perfect open spot to stick ads (though the area below the truncated shoulders would be better)...suffice it to say that I'm never buying a jersey with advertisements on them.  Bleech. 

26 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Don't want to get too far ahead of myself here, but if this does happen, the spot where the lower stripes were axed on the new Devils jersey will obviously be a perfect open spot to stick ads (though the area below the truncated shoulders would be better)...suffice it to say that I'm never buying a jersey with advertisements on them.  Bleech. 

I doubt they will put them on the replicas or even the authentics that they sell to the public.

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

I doubt they will put them on the replicas or even the authentics that they sell to the public.

Hallelujah and amen to that!

40 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Then they wouldn't be authentic! heh

But yea it's coming. I mean they have the virtual ads now. They're hunting for every tiny little inch to stick the ads. It wouldn't shock me though if they first tried to put ads on the players helmets since that area is not quite as sacred as jerseys.

I don't think it's right around the corner but I'd be shocked if there aren't ads on jerseys in 10-15 years. And if Harris/Blitzer still own the Devils at that time we'll be the ones leading the way.

42 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Just now, '7' said:

Then they wouldn't be authentic! heh

While some collectors will spend their time tracking down a K-Y Jelly sponsor patch for their authentic jersey, I myself will not. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

While some collectors will spend their time tracking down a K-Y Jelly sponsor patch for their authentic jersey, I myself will not. 

It's going to be tough watching hockey in general with jersey ads. While it won't resemble the clownish euro leagues overnight, it is such a distraction and an eyesore.

Even the jerseys we have now. I just can't stop staring at the big empty space under the logo where stripes should be. It's designed specifically in a way to lead the eye right into that big empty space and I just can't understand why

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1

If they did it small, it wouldn't be so annoying. 

Of course, if they did it small, it would be a sh!tty advertisement as well. 

Placement aside, is the Celtics GE ad too big or too small?

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/noQwNdMcsyVSc_KrcXSjEA--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjtzbT0xO3c9NzQ0O2g9NTIx/http://media.zenfs.com/en/homerun/feed_manager_auto_publish_494/b2c345be5f4fe98e6ed5bc4ecc2473e0

I'm saying too big. And in a terrible location. At least for hockey. 

Of course, I also hate the arena naming trend; Brendan Byrne Arena had a lot more meaning than the Continental Airlines Arena or Prudential Center, in my opinion. But such is the way of the world. 

Edited by mfitz804

31 minutes ago, '7' said:

It's going to be tough watching hockey in general with jersey ads. While it won't resemble the clownish euro leagues overnight, it is such a distraction and an eyesore.

Even the jerseys we have now. I just can't stop staring at the big empty space under the logo where stripes should be. It's designed specifically in a way to lead the eye right into that big empty space and I just can't understand why

It will be more along the lines of the SAP patch they had on the WCOH jerseys.  You will be hard pressed to find anyone who found those distracting.

59 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If they did it small, it wouldn't be so annoying. 

Of course, if they did it small, it would be a sh!tty advertisement as well. 

Placement aside, is the Celtics GE ad too big or too small?

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/noQwNdMcsyVSc_KrcXSjEA--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjtzbT0xO3c9NzQ0O2g9NTIx/http://media.zenfs.com/en/homerun/feed_manager_auto_publish_494/b2c345be5f4fe98e6ed5bc4ecc2473e0

I'm saying too big. And in a terrible location. At least for hockey. 

Of course, I also hate the arena naming trend; Brendan Byrne Arena had a lot more meaning than the Continental Airlines Arena or Prudential Center, in my opinion. But such is the way of the world. 

Most arenas/stadiums built over the last 20 years are basically taxpayer/corporate funded malls that happen to have a sports team play there.  Having a corporate sponsor have the naming rights is only fitting at this point.

Yankee Stadium is an example where the name can't hide that it is basically a baseball themed Disneyland.

48 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

It will be more along the lines of the SAP patch they had on the WCOH jerseys.  You will be hard pressed to find anyone who found those distracting.

Those weren't great but you're right, easily ignored. Which begs the question, are they getting effective advertising for what they paid?

17 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Most arenas/stadiums built over the last 20 years are basically taxpayer/corporate funded malls that happen to have a sports team play there.  Having a corporate sponsor have the naming rights is only fitting at this point.

Yankee Stadium is an example where the name can't hide that it is basically a baseball themed Disneyland.

I wish someone, somewhere would be funny about it, because Vagisil Stadium would be epic. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Those weren't great but you're right, easily ignored. Which begs the question, are they getting effective advertising for what they paid?

I wish someone, somewhere would be funny about it, because Vagisil Stadium would be epic. 

I guess on close-up shots between plays would be where they get their money's worth.

Would a larger painted advertisement work better on players helmets be more effective for the advertisers?  I think it might and would spare the jerseys from getting the patch.

23 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Just a funny story about Yankee Stadium and naming rights.  I was told by someone in the know that back when it opened, Emirates Airlines offered a ridiculous amount of money for the naming rights, enough money that the proposal had to be taken to the Yankees board.  Good thing there's something called the business judgment rule, because from a pure dollars and cents view, you would have had to accept it.  

I actually wish Yankee Stadium was more interesting than it is.  One of the reasons that I don't go to Yankee games anymore.  

8 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

If you thought those were bad, be worried that if there is ever a Seattle team that they might dust off an old Metropolitans jersey from the 1910's:

1263_6051_large.gif

Also if you like older style jerseys, there is a company called Ebbets Field Flannels that reproduces old style jerseys (usually 60+ years ago) and sells them made to order.  They try to use original materials as much as possible or get as close as they can.  That's why their jerseys are largely wool and made to order (thus pricey).  That's where I got the above picture from.  They largely do baseball, but do some hockey too:

http://www.ebbets.com/category/HockeySweaters

Here's the thing. I don't hate these. And one of my biggest prOblems with NHL jerseys as a whole is the somewhat lack of diversity across the league in the overall designs. Sure, some have a little different piping, shoulder yokes, whatever, but you never see teams with, just for example, stripes, or the multiple thin stripe around the waist (like the Newark Bulldogs jersey our black border is supposedly a tribute to), or the diagonal cuts to the design the old  Mighty Ducks jerseys used, the list goes on. I just think there's too much standardization. You definitely get more variety in junior hockey. Not that they're all good, but I'd rather have bad jerseys mixed in than jerseys all looking so similar

23 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Just a funny story about Yankee Stadium and naming rights.  I was told by someone in the know that back when it opened, Emirates Airlines offered a ridiculous amount of money for the naming rights, enough money that the proposal had to be taken to the Yankees board.  Good thing there's something called the business judgment rule, because from a pure dollars and cents view, you would have had to accept it.  

I actually wish Yankee Stadium was more interesting than it is.  One of the reasons that I don't go to Yankee games anymore.  

I wonder if they kicked around ideas like "Emirates Field at Yankee Stadium"

It's a nice stadium really. I think it's a solid continuation of the Yankees legacy. What would you have personally done to make it more interesting? I know for Citi I would've scrapped the old Ebbets Ballpark stuff. That's never what the Mets have been about. The Yankees I think did the best they could in trying to tow the line between new and throwback. At least sitting their the layout of the stands looks Yankee Stadium-ish

6 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

Here's the thing. I don't hate these. And one of my biggest prOblems with NHL jerseys as a whole is the somewhat lack of diversity across the league in the overall designs. Sure, some have a little different piping, shoulder yokes, whatever, but you never see teams with, just for example, stripes, or the multiple thin stripe around the waist (like the Newark Bulldogs jersey our black border is supposedly a tribute to), or the diagonal cuts to the design the old  Mighty Ducks jerseys used, the list goes on. I just think there's too much standardization. You definitely get more variety in junior hockey. Not that they're all good, but I'd rather have bad jerseys mixed in than jerseys all looking so similar

I agree with this.  That's why I don't mind barberpole or other somewhat out there jerseys just as long as it doesn't look too stupid or ripped directly from another sport (thrashers football style third and Buffalo motocross style third).  You also don't want to be too out there like some of the stuff in ECHL level leagues (Rocky themed jerseys, Ronald McDonald themed jerseys, etc).

If I recall right, I think the Nordiques were the last time to have a primary jersey design that featured something other than a type of striping or lettering (kings previous jerseys) for the bottom hem of their jersey.

17 minutes ago, '7' said:

It's a nice stadium really. I think it's a solid continuation of the Yankees legacy. What would you have personally done to make it more interesting? I know for Citi I would've scrapped the old Ebbets Ballpark stuff. That's never what the Mets have been about. The Yankees I think did the best they could in trying to tow the line between new and throwback. At least sitting their the layout of the stands looks Yankee Stadium-ish

Not a Stadium designer, so I don't know, but the whole thing seems very bland.  I mean they have an overpriced steakhouse in the place.  I like overpriced steakhouses too.  Maybe the old Stadium was overrated, but at least you had all of places to hang out across the street.

I much prefer Citi field, if only for Shake Shack.  

From the amount of money that they were talking about (enough to fund a substantial chunk of what it cost to build the stadium) I think they would have wanted the whole shebang.

Edited by Daniel

14 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That actually hurts to look at...a bit like those throwback Steeler jerseys, only the Canadiens' version manages to be even WORSE.

Just bought one white authentic and one red authentic Reebok...will probably get them both personalized to Hischier once his number is announced (the red one for sure), and then I'm out of the jersey business for a while...I may never have bought the Reeboks if not for the Adidas redesign.  As far as Devils jerseys go, I've got a rookie #29 white Brodeur, red Y2K Daneyko, red preseason game-worn #28 Kevin Dean (I've had it for several years now courtesy of DM84, but have never worn it), white Gilmour (this one isn't in the best shape unfortunately), white #16 Verbeek (this one's from the mid-80s), and a white #33 game-issued Auvitu (for the McMullen game...just got this one along with the Verbeek...always wanted one of those McMullen night jerseys, and Auvitu was simply the most affordable).  Along with the Rockies and Scouts jerseys that I have, I can get by without ever having to buy any of the Adidas jerseys.     

I care too much about my jerseys replicating what the player actually wore to get a player put on a jersey design that he didn't actually wear, otherwise I might be doing the same thing too.  That combined with my distaste for the Reebok Edge atrocities and this Adidas redesign has left me with no Devils jersey choices for a decade now.  However, thanks to the move to the Edge jerseys, I was at least able to snag some authentic pre-Edge Reebok (same as the old CCM) jerseys that were actually intended to be used by the team.  If you look closely enough, you can see where the Meigray tag was sewn on and eventually removed since it was never actually used and never even got to the point of being customized until I sent them to Exclusive Pro myself.  Since the old replicas were of such high quality and weren't expensive, these are the only authentics I own (excluding my two favorites--a game-worn 2006 Ireland jersey and a game-issued 1997 Italy jersey).  I got them for $100 each, which I think is a huge bargain compared to the Edge quality and pricing.

Edited by devilsfan26

5 hours ago, '7' said:

I'm glad Citizens Bank Park was built when it was, or else it might've ended up as plastic and forced as the New York parks are. But New York is in a league of their own when it comes to producing the ultimate gimmick and sucking the character out of everything it can. Honestly, I'm surprised the Wilpon's didn't cut the ribbon at Citi in Dodgers jerseys. How tone deaf could they be? I'm the first ones to sh!t on the Mets for being a pathetic nostalgia project for Dodgers and Giants fans, but that's something you can't own. Don't remind your fans their team is the one no one wanted to have to exist by designing and theming the damn stadium after the team they replaced. It's like hanging pictures of your ex in the new place you get with your current girlfriend.

6 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

I'm glad Citizens Bank Park was built when it was, or else it might've ended up as plastic and forced as the New York parks are. But New York is in a league of their own when it comes to producing the ultimate gimmick and sucking the character out of everything it can. Honestly, I'm surprised the Wilpon's didn't cut the ribbon at Citi in Dodgers jerseys. How tone deaf could they be? I'm the first ones to sh!t on the Mets for being a pathetic nostalgia project for Dodgers and Giants fans, but that's something you can't own. Don't remind your fans their team is the one no one wanted to have to exist by designing and theming the damn stadium after the team they replaced. It's like hanging pictures of your ex in the new place you get with your current girlfriend.

So basically, this post was one big excuse to take a bunch of lame cheap shots at the Mets and New York, while once again pumping up the awesomeness that is apparently all things Philly (even if it was subtle).  Not like you haven't done that many times in the Met thread, so it's not much of a surprise...but you should really stop trying to sell people on Philadelphia (especially from a baseball angle).  And it's fine if you hate the Mets, but the whole "pathetic nostalgia" crap is a joke...there was clearly room and demand for a new NL team in NY after the Dodgers and Giants left, so it made sense to not only grant NY an expansion team, but to try to do it in a way that would instantly appeal to Brooklyn Dodgers and NY Baseball Giants fans who might have still been stinging about having seen their teams leave.  Though Brooklyn fans were especially upset at having lost their team, in some ways you can argue that ultimately, for the long term, it might have been the best thing for MLB at the time in general...West Coast baseball got underway (and obviously led to more WC teams being formed, including a second one in the LA area in the Angels), and now local NY NL fans could unite and support one team.  And to say that no one wanted the Mets to exist is just you trying to be a d*ck...NY is way too big of a market to have just an AL team, and there were plenty of displaced Dodgers and Giants fans who were ready to embrace a new NY NL team, should one be founded.  It was only a matter of time before such a team would be playing in New York (it took only five years, though obviously the ball on a new NY team was rolling well before the Mets' first game).    

Citi has its flaws (some have been corrected or at least improved upon) and yeah, it's a reflection of the dopey Wilpons, Fred's obsession with the Brooklyn Dodgers, and ownership's complete disconnect from the fanbase (an Ebbets Field-influenced ballpark would have made far more sense in the late 80s-early 90s, if at all), but don't make CBP to be anything more than it is:  the modern equivalent of the cookie cutter, retro-influenced ballpark...there's nothing wrong with it from what I've seen (been there 4 or 5 times), other than it's yet another bandbox launching pad, but it's nothing terribly special either...it doesn't stand out from the glut of old-style-yet-modern stadiums in any way.  It just kind of is. 

7 hours ago, devilsfan26 said:

I care too much about my jerseys replicating what the player actually wore to get a player put on a jersey design that he didn't actually wear, otherwise I might be doing the same thing too.  That combined with my distaste for the Reebok Edge atrocities and this Adidas redesign has left me with no Devils jersey choices for a decade now.  However, thanks to the move to the Edge jerseys, I was at least able to snag some authentic pre-Edge Reebok (same as the old CCM) jerseys that were actually intended to be used by the team.  If you look closely enough, you can see where the Meigray tag was sewn on and eventually removed since it was never actually used and never even got to the point of being customized until I sent them to Exclusive Pro myself.  Since the old replicas were of such high quality and weren't expensive, these are the only authentics I own (excluding my two favorites--a game-worn 2006 Ireland jersey and a game-issued 1997 Italy jersey).  I got them for $100 each, which I think is a huge bargain compared to the Edge quality and pricing.

Yeah I hear you on the bolded...usually I'd agree completely (I remember seeing a blue Rockies jersey with Brodeur's name and number on it at Ken Daneyko night...not Dano's retirement ceremony, the trainwreck before that...also saw a KC Scouts jersey with Rasmussen's name and number...both just seemed odd), but I just can't bring myself to buy something I dislike that much, for the sake of accuracy.  Nice score on the pre-Edge jerseys...though I was never a huge Edge guy (I never had so much as one until I bought the Auvitu GI...now suddenly I'll have three), at least the features many of us loved remained relatively intact (never liked that rounded "flap" bottom myself).  Everytime I see those balloon white stripes on the sleeves of the new red jersey, I cringe...just fixing those would be a huge step forward.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

They've since fixed a lot of the Freds Dodgers fetish (there really wasnt much, if any Giants stuff) Fred has admitted to not listening enough to Mets fans when designing the place. And fwiw the playing field itself looks nothing like Ebbets and never did.

When the Dodgers and Giants moved it created a huge NL void in the tri state area that wasn't going to be filled by the Yankees. The Mets HAD to be created. It was too big a market not to service.

I too am glad Citi Field South was built when it was as well. Couldn't have asked for a better second home stadium.

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

So basically, this post was one big excuse to take a bunch of lame cheap shots at the Mets and New York, while once again pumping up the awesomeness that is apparently all things Philly (even if it was subtle).  Not like you haven't done that many times in the Met thread, so it's not much of a surprise...but you should really stop trying to sell people on Philadelphia (especially from a baseball angle).  And it's fine if you hate the Mets, but the whole "pathetic nostalgia" crap is a joke...there was clearly room and demand for a new NL team in NY after the Dodgers and Giants left, so it made sense to not only grant NY an expansion team, but to try to do it in a way that would instantly appeal to Brooklyn Dodgers and NY Baseball Giants fans who might have still been stinging about having seen their teams leave.  Though Brooklyn fans were especially upset at having lost their team, in some ways you can argue that ultimately, for the long term, it might have been the best thing for MLB at the time in general...West Coast baseball got underway (and obviously led to more WC teams being formed, including a second one in the LA area in the Angels), and now local NY NL fans could unite and support one team.  And to say that no one wanted the Mets to exist is just you trying to be a d*ck...NY is way too big of a market to have just an AL team, and there were plenty of displaced Dodgers and Giants fans who were ready to embrace a new NY NL team, should one be founded.  It was only a matter of time before such a team would be playing in New York (it took only five years, though obviously the ball on a new NY team was rolling well before the Mets' first game).    

Citi has its flaws (some have been corrected or at least improved upon) and yeah, it's a reflection of the dopey Wilpons, Fred's obsession with the Brooklyn Dodgers, and ownership's complete disconnect from the fanbase (an Ebbets Field-influenced ballpark would have made far more sense in the late 80s-early 90s, if at all), but don't make CBP to be anything more than it is:  the modern equivalent of the cookie cutter, retro-influenced ballpark...there's nothing wrong with it from what I've seen (been there 4 or 5 times), other than it's yet another bandbox launching pad, but it's nothing terribly special either...it doesn't stand out from the glut of old-style-yet-modern stadiums in any way.  It just kind of is. 

Yeah I hear you on the bolded...usually I'd agree completely (I remember seeing a blue Rockies jersey with Brodeur's name and number on it at Ken Daneyko night...not Dano's retirement ceremony, the trainwreck before that...also saw a KC Scouts jersey with Rasmussen's name and number...both just seemed odd), but I just can't bring myself to buy something I dislike that much, for the sake of accuracy.  Nice score on the pre-Edge jerseys...though I was never a huge Edge guy (I never had so much as one until I bought the Auvitu GI...now suddenly I'll have three), at least the features many of us loved remained relatively intact (never liked that rounded "flap" bottom myself).  Everytime I see those balloon white stripes on the sleeves of the new red jersey, I cringe...just fixing those would be a huge step forward.   

Yea I was just poking the bear.

Of course I'm going to take every opportunity to take shots at New York. This is a Devils board and I'm from Jersey.

You're right, CBP is nothing special, and that's what I like about it. It's just a baseball park. No gimmicks. You go,  get in your seat, the handful of people that showed up are cursing at whatever poor a$$hole had to take the mound, and you watch baseball.

No one wanted the Mets because no one would've wanted the demand to be there by the Giants and Dodgers leaving. Of course demand was there for NL ball after that.

59 minutes ago, '7' said:

They've since fixed a lot of the Freds Dodgers fetish (there really wasnt much, if any Giants stuff) Fred has admitted to not listening enough to Mets fans when designing the place. And fwiw the playing field itself looks nothing like Ebbets and never did.

When the Dodgers and Giants moved it created a huge NL void in the tri state area that wasn't going to be filled by the Yankees. The Mets HAD to be created. It was too big a market not to service.

I too am glad Citi Field South was built when it was as well. Couldn't have asked for a better second home stadium.

Cheers, fellas.

Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

I'm a hardcore fan and I still rep my no player/no number CCM jerseys.  They look like the real thing to me and I've never been questioned on them.  

I still have no plans on buying one of these new ones.

This really is the safest way to go these days, unless you fall back on Brodeur/Elias/Stevens/Daneyko types (obviously you can pull off Zajac/Greene/Brylin and several others in the "been here a long time" category as well)...I came close to picking up both Kovy AND Parise jerseys a couple of times...glad I didn't. 

I have considered not even personalizing my new Reeboks, but in the end I almost definitely will.