The Devils Uniforms

Since1982-83

A little surprised that there is still a decent amount of dislike for the Reebok Edge jerseys.  I can kind of understand the feelings towards the 1.0's (with the stretchy, pillow-y material and goofy long arms) but the 2.0 basically fixed a lot of those issues.  All the Edge 1.0 bubble mesh and xtrafil panels were replaced by airknit (which is what the Devils wore from 96-06), the arms were shortened slightly (and made wider) and the body was also made a little looser.  I actually prefer the 2.0's a little bit in terms of pure comfort as I feel they fit a little better and the construction are pretty nice (example are the stripes on the Edge 2.0's are separate panels of material while the pre-Edges had the stripes painted/printed on).

When it comes to getting players on jerseys I always advise people to avoid flavor of the weeks.  If you get a Farnham, Tootoo, Wood, Blandisi, etc jersey then you reap what you sow.  I always advise to stick to forever Devils like Marty, Elias, Stevens, etc.

30 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This really is the safest way to go these days, unless you fall back on Brodeur/Elias/Stevens/Daneyko types (obviously you can pull off Zajac/Greene/Brylin and several others in the "been here a long time" category as well)...I came close to picking up both Kovy AND Parise jerseys a couple of times...glad I didn't. 

I have considered not even personalizing my new Reeboks, but in the end I almost definitely will.   

My old Green/White home (white) jersey I've had since the late '80's I never got personalized.  

If I had been inclined to do so back in the day, I was going to put #13 and Leeds on it.    But that thought only came when I came up with my NJDevs name........

Blank is fine.

I've since gotten a red Brodeur that a buddy of mine gave me. He had 8 tix in the Fire Section (now has 4) and a couple of years ago the Devs gave him one jersey for each ticket. He's got money and is more a casual fan. So he doesn't call me for who to get and gets like 4 Brodeurs, a couple of others and he also got 1 or 2 #8 Zubrus jerseys..........I'm like "WTF" Zubrus?  You should have got the young guns at that time, Henrique, etc.   So he offered me a Zubrus jersey and I turned it down and he gave me the Brodeur one. It's a nice replica, but I've never worn it

Edited by Jimmy Leeds

42 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

A little surprised that there is still a decent amount of dislike for the Reebok Edge jerseys.  I can kind of understand the feelings towards the 1.0's (with the stretchy, pillow-y material and goofy long arms) but the 2.0 basically fixed a lot of those issues.  All the Edge 1.0 bubble mesh and xtrafil panels were replaced by airknit (which is what the Devils wore from 96-06), the arms were shortened slightly (and made wider) and the body was also made a little looser.  I actually prefer the 2.0's a little bit in terms of pure comfort as I feel they fit a little better and the construction are pretty nice (example are the stripes on the Edge 2.0's are separate panels of material while the pre-Edges had the stripes painted/printed on).

When it comes to getting players on jerseys I always advise people to avoid flavor of the weeks.  If you get a Farnham, Tootoo, Wood, Blandisi, etc jersey then you reap what you sow.  I always advise to stick to forever Devils like Marty, Elias, Stevens, etc.

I do agree, especially looking back now with release of the Adidas, that the Edge as a whole aren't bad, and I think the hockey community will look back fondly on them as we do with CCM (obviously, they never will be CCM, but the point stands). However, even though I feel like it was a good era of jerseys, I still hear nails on the chalkboard when I read the word Edge, because of how badly they botched the first generation.

I've said this before, but I've always thought it was cool for people to have flavor of the month jerseys. It's an interesting snapshot of where the team was and who was popular at a particular time for whatever reason. It's cool walking  around the arena and seeing the mix of old and new names, the classics and the one offs. It'd be boring  if the only parts of our history we embrace were the best players on the best teams. I remember when Cammy changed his number, people were upset and gonna get the 23 replaced on their jerseys, which I didn't understand. I know it's different for some people, but for hardcore collectors, isn't cool to get your hands on one of those rare jerseys with a name of a guy who flamed out or was moved and didn't have a lot of jerseys sold?

16 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

I do agree, especially looking back now with release of the Adidas, that the Edge as a whole aren't bad, and I think the hockey community will look back fondly on them as we do with CCM (obviously, they never will be CCM, but the point stands). However, even though I feel like it was a good era of jerseys, I still hear nails on the chalkboard when I read the word Edge, because of how badly they botched the first generation.

I've said this before, but I've always thought it was cool for people to have flavor of the month jerseys. It's an interesting snapshot of where the team was and who was popular at a particular time for whatever reason. It's cool walking  around the arena and seeing the mix of old and new names, the classics and the one offs. It'd be boring  if the only parts of our history we embrace were the best players on the best teams. I remember when Cammy changed his number, people were upset and gonna get the 23 replaced on their jerseys, which I didn't understand. I know it's different for some people, but for hardcore collectors, isn't cool to get your hands on one of those rare jerseys with a name of a guy who flamed out or was moved and didn't have a lot of jerseys sold?

Short answer: Not really.

In terms of gamers, these flavor of the month types are often priced high initially if they are popular with fans.  However, when their popularity wanes the jerseys just sit there and eventually no one wants to touch them with a ten foot pole.  There are plenty of Tootoo, Farnham and Tedenby jerseys sitting around at Meigray years after they left the team.

One of the rarest gamers to get is John MacLean.  I know of maybe 3-5 gamers that exist of him and they are all in collections.  That's not a whole lot considering how long he played.

In terms of authentics/replicas, same thing applies.  Since authentics and replicas are already massed produced and anyone could literally approach any customizer and have whatever they want put on the jersey, to use the term "rare" is not accurate.  What usually makes these (and gamers to extent) rare are the jersey itself and not the customization.  ProPlayer authentics tend to be rare no matter the customization as they were only worn one year.

I have an authentic Edge 1.0 Marty in red and I like it just fine. I've had it for 10 years and it still looks brand new. Granted I only wear it a handful of times a year, but it's held up great for me. I'm perfectly happy with the quality of it. I don't care about sweat beading into gloves or whatever as I only watch games in it not play. ;)

The only other Devils jersey I have is a red and green retro CCM from the first year they started wearing them again (I'm blanking on the year?). I recently had it customized Daneyko in the old font from Exclusive Pro. Learned about them here and they did great work!

I had a CCM replica white Brodeur and a blank red Koho replica that I gave away because they didn't fit anymore. The other Devils jersey I had was a black ice Kovy that went to Goodwill after his exodus. 

I want a Stevens and Elias at some point. Definitely not Adidas though.

Edited by Nicomo

11 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I have an authentic Edge 1.0 Marty in red and I like it just fine. I've had it for 10 years and it still looks brand new. Granted I only wear it a handful of times a year, but it's held up great for me. I'm perfectly happy with the quality of it. I don't care about sweat beading into gloves or whatever as I only watch games in it not play. ;)

The only other Devils jersey I have is a red and green retro CCM replica from the first year they started wearing them again (I'm blanking on the year?). I recently had it customized Daneyko in the old font from Exclusive Pro. Learned about them here and they did great work!

I had a CCM replica white Brodeur and a blank red Koho replica that I gave away because they didn't fit anymore. The other Devils jersey I had was a black ice Kovy that went to Goodwill after his exodus. 

I want a Stevens and Elias at some point. 

Throw up a pic of the Dano jersey when you get a chance.  Did you go with the original Xmas font (thinner and narrower) or the second one (bolder and wider)?  The change was made for the start of the 1987-88 season.  I prefer the second one myself. 

The original:  http://www.nhluniforms.com/1985-86/Devils.html

And the refresh:  http://www.nhluniforms.com/1991-92/Devils.html

That's the one thing that bothered me about the 3rd Xmas jerseys of recent years...that they didn't go with one of the original fonts.  That always made those jerseys feel a little off to me. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I'll throw mine out there, if I can recall off the top of my head.

I have the following authentic jerseys:

White Vintage Red & Green CCM Daneyko

White CCM Ultrafil MacLean

White CCM Airknit Niedermayer

White Edge 2.0 Tootoo (daughter's favorite player because of his funny name)

White Edge 2.0 Palmieri (in production currently)

Red CCM Ultrafil Brodeur

Red ProPlayer Niedermayer

Red Koho Elias

Red Koho Stevens

Red Edge 2.0 Tootoo

Red Edge 2.0 Hall

Red & Green Edge 2.0 Stadium Series Jagr (because everyone should have a Jagr)

This list does not include the red ProPlayer Rafalski I am presently selling on eBay. Well I guess now it does. 

I THINK that's all of them. The Devils ones, anyhow. 

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Throw up a pic of the Dano jersey when you get a chance.  Did you go with the original Xmas font (thinner and narrower) or the second one (bolder and wider)?  The change was made for the start of the 1987-88 season.  I prefer the second one myself. 

The original:  http://www.nhluniforms.com/1985-86/Devils.html

And the refresh:  http://www.nhluniforms.com/1991-92/Devils.html

That's the one thing that bothered me about the 3rd Xmas jerseys of recent years...that they didn't go with one of the original fonts.  That always made those jerseys feel a little off to me. 

Not sure. They asked me if I wanted the older font or the current, and I chose the former. 

2967.jpeg

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This really is the safest way to go these days, unless you fall back on Brodeur/Elias/Stevens/Daneyko types (obviously you can pull off Zajac/Greene/Brylin and several others in the "been here a long time" category as well)...I came close to picking up both Kovy AND Parise jerseys a couple of times...glad I didn't. 

I have considered not even personalizing my new Reeboks, but in the end I almost definitely will.   

Yep, I made this decision years and years ago for a few reasons.  For one, it's more expensive to get a name and number on them, and two, it's as you said it's a lot safer so that you jersey isn't obsolete when the player gets traded, retires or whatever the case may be, even if it's as short as 2 years or as long as 20 years.  Sure there's iconic guys like Brodeur, Stevens, and the others you mentioned that will never go out of style, but it'd definitely be weird rocking a Friesen jersey nowadays, just like it still might make sense to rock a Clarkson jersey because he hasn't been gone too long, but in another 5 years or so it'll feel odd.  I also keep my Devils jerseys plain because I feel it's more of a representation of the team too, rather than one particular player.  Don't get my wrong, I've had my favorites over the years, and for whatever reason I really liked Sykora when he was with us and considered him my favorite, but I've always loved the team in general more than any one guy.

Oddly enough, I like the Giants almost as much as the Devils, and I have several jerseys that are all personalized.  I think it's because I care less about them, and I tend to get them on the cheap as well.  I used to have a home and away jersey and preferred to have an offensive player and defensive player (i.e. Tiki Barber, Michael Strahan, Jeremy Shockey, Osi Umenyiora, etc), but that became too hard to keep up with as guys moved around.  I still rock my Manning away jersey and Strahan home, but was recently given a Beckham home one that I wear now too.

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 1:47 PM, NJDfan1711 said:

Yep, I made this decision years and years ago for a few reasons.  For one, it's more expensive to get a name and number on them, and two, it's as you said it's a lot safer so that you jersey isn't obsolete when the player gets traded, retires or whatever the case may be, even if it's as short as 2 years or as long as 20 years.  Sure there's iconic guys like Brodeur, Stevens, and the others you mentioned that will never go out of style, but it'd definitely be weird rocking a Friesen jersey nowadays, just like it still might make sense to rock a Clarkson jersey because he hasn't been gone too long, but in another 5 years or so it'll feel odd.  I also keep my Devils jerseys plain because I feel it's more of a representation of the team too, rather than one particular player.  Don't get my wrong, I've had my favorites over the years, and for whatever reason I really liked Sykora when he was with us and considered him my favorite, but I've always loved the team in general more than any one guy.

Oddly enough, I like the Giants almost as much as the Devils, and I have several jerseys that are all personalized.  I think it's because I care less about them, and I tend to get them on the cheap as well.  I used to have a home and away jersey and preferred to have an offensive player and defensive player (i.e. Tiki Barber, Michael Strahan, Jeremy Shockey, Osi Umenyiora, etc), but that became too hard to keep up with as guys moved around.  I still rock my Manning away jersey and Strahan home, but was recently given a Beckham home one that I wear now too.

I think quite a few jerseys remain "acceptable", if one just looks at them as a snapshot of a certain period of time.  Guys like Arnott, Friesen and Clarkson fit that bill to me...along with several others.  And obviously a guy like Langenbrunner works too, even though it ended a bit ugly for him here.

As kooky as it sounds, I did consider a Brookbank for a while.  I enjoy guys who clearly don't have loads of ability and talent finding a way to play in a league where they're clearly fringers, but somehow make themselves passable.  I wanted that guy to score a goal so badly as a Devil...I always enjoyed it when he picked up a point.  He's managed to play over four seasons' worth of regular season games (351)...I think there's something kind of cool about that. 

There's certain guys I don't think I could bring myself to wear (doesn't make others wrong for wearing what they've got of course).  I could never wear a Gomez...I know he's not the brightest bulb, but when he did that ridiculous press conference and was practically nodding along with Sather about the Devils not using him properly, he was pretty much dead to me (didn't really mind him coming back though for those 50-something games).  Ditto Kovy in the "dead to me" group...if I had one of his jerseys, I would've sold it for pennies on e-bay, or just gotten rid of it altogether...guess I could've re-nameplated it to a Sykora.  Ditto Parise, to a Hall.  Fortunately never bought a Kovy or Parise, as previously mentioned.  But there really aren't too many former Devils that are in my "dead to me" class.   

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think quite a few jerseys remain "acceptable", if one just looks at them as a snapshot of a certain period of time.  Guys like Arnott, Friesen and Clarkson fit that bill to me...along with several others.  And obviously a guy like Langenbrunner works too, even though it ended a bit ugly for him here.

As kooky as it sounds, I did consider a Brookbank for a while.  I enjoy guys who clearly don't have loads of ability and talent finding a way to play in a league where they're clearly fringers, but somehow make themselves passable.  I wanted that guy to score a goal so badly as a Devil...I always enjoyed it when he picked up a point.  He's managed to play over four seasons' worth of regular season games (351)...I think there's something kind of cool about that. 

There's certain guys I don't think I could bring myself to wear (doesn't make others wrong for wearing what they've got of course).  I could never wear a Gomez...I know he's not the brightest bulb, but when he did that ridiculous press conference and was practically nodding along with Sather about the Devils not using him properly, he was pretty much dead to me (didn't really mind him coming back though for those 50-something games).  Ditto Kovy in the "dead to me" group...if I had one of his jerseys, I would've sold it for pennies on e-bay, or just gotten rid of it altogether...guess I could've re-nameplated it to a Sykora.  Ditto Parise, to a Hall.  Fortunately never bought a Kovy or Parise, as previously mentioned.  But there really aren't too many former Devils that are in my "dead to me" class.   

I have a list of players I could never wear because I just outright hate them for one reason for another.  The ones that comes to my mind are:

Clarkson

Tootoo

Farnham

Stephen Gionta

Kovalchuk

Parise

Gelinas

Blandisi

Danton/Jefferson

Janssen

8 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I have a list of players I could never wear because I just outright hate them for one reason for another.  The ones that comes to my mind are:

Clarkson - wouldn't go out of my way for one, but I could deal

Tootoo - bleech.  Ditto Ruutu

Farnham - indifferent, bordering on pointless

Stephen Gionta - indifferent, I'd wear Brian way before him though.  The longer he was here the more painful it was to watch him.

Kovalchuk - fvck 'im

Parise - Couldn't wear his because even though his contract was insane, it still stung to see him leave...it's a reminder of how things have gone since he left.  At least his most productive years came as a Devil.

Gelinas - Nope

Blandisi - indifferent at this point

Danton/Jefferson - Guy is too fvcked up, would anyone wear his jersey?!

Janssen - Might as well wear a clown suit, since Janssen was just this goofy clown who on some very rare occasions managed to surprise with a goal.

I don't know if I outright hate any of the above, but I'm sure as hell not going all out for any of their jerseys. 

On 7/6/2017 at 7:04 PM, Daniel said:

Not a Stadium designer, so I don't know, but the whole thing seems very bland.  I mean they have an overpriced steakhouse in the place.  I like overpriced steakhouses too.  Maybe the old Stadium was overrated, but at least you had all of places to hang out across the street.

I much prefer Citi field, if only for Shake Shack.  

From the amount of money that they were talking about (enough to fund a substantial chunk of what it cost to build the stadium) I think they would have wanted the whole shebang.

screw shakeshack.  Overrated and not waiting on line for 3 innings nor am I heading in when the gates open just to eat their garbage.  If you want to really feast at Citi, get yourself Hyundai Club tickets.  You're welcome.  

On 7/7/2017 at 0:15 AM, thecoffeecake said:

I'm glad Citizens Bank Park was built when it was, or else it might've ended up as plastic and forced as the New York parks are. But New York is in a league of their own when it comes to producing the ultimate gimmick and sucking the character out of everything it can. Honestly, I'm surprised the Wilpon's didn't cut the ribbon at Citi in Dodgers jerseys. How tone deaf could they be? I'm the first ones to sh!t on the Mets for being a pathetic nostalgia project for Dodgers and Giants fans, but that's something you can't own. Don't remind your fans their team is the one no one wanted to have to exist by designing and theming the damn stadium after the team they replaced. It's like hanging pictures of your ex in the new place you get with your current girlfriend.

Been to Citizen's Bank Park a few times.  Nice place, but not really anything special.  Best part was back in April being able to get Champions Club tickets outside the stadium for $40 each.  I think it was the Champions Club.  Sat between the plate and dugout, field level, 1st base side.,  

32 minutes ago, bostondevil11 said:

I have a Pandolfo and Oduya jersey.  I don't like getting the same jersey everyone else has.

Well aren't you just Mr. Contrarian. :P

The only player off the top of my head that isn't a # in the rafters guy I wouldn't mind having a jersey of is Madden. Probably my favorite non-all time great former Devil.

37 minutes ago, bostondevil11 said:

I have a Pandolfo and Oduya jersey.  I don't like getting the same jersey everyone else has.

I just get who I want, regardless of how popular or "mainstream" their jersey is.  Admittedly I don't buy nearly the volume that many others do...I have a fair amount of jerseys (about 15 or so), but it's taken almost 20 years to collect the ones that I do have, and though I've recently bought four (McMullen Auvitu, mid-80s Cosby Verbeek, and two Reebok 2.0 authentic blanks), it had been over a decade since I had last bought any.  It was actually the new jerseys that motivated me to start buying again...the new ones made me appreciate the old ones (both the red and greens AND red and blacks) that much more.

On 7/7/2017 at 9:17 AM, '7' said:

They've since fixed a lot of the Freds Dodgers fetish (there really wasnt much, if any Giants stuff) Fred has admitted to not listening enough to Mets fans when designing the place. And fwiw the playing field itself looks nothing like Ebbets and never did.

When the Dodgers and Giants moved it created a huge NL void in the tri state area that wasn't going to be filled by the Yankees. The Mets HAD to be created. It was too big a market not to service.

I too am glad Citi Field South was built when it was as well. Couldn't have asked for a better second home stadium.

I hate the Wilpons as much as any other Mets fan.  However, Mets fans were a little too whiny about the stadium when the building opened.  The complaining about the Brooklyn Dodgers stuff was ridiculous.  It is part of NY baseball history, get over it.  Not as if they had a mural to honor Hershiser or Scoscia's HR.  Agreed though, should have mixed in some old NY Giants stuff, as well.  

13 minutes ago, Matteau#32 said:

screw shakeshack.  Overrated and not waiting on line for 3 innings nor am I heading in when the gates open just to eat their garbage.  If you want to really feast at Citi, get yourself Hyundai Club tickets.  You're welcome.  

Can't argue that...food is good enough, but the line is always insane, and the food (or the shake) isn't so amazing that it's worth waiting in line for THAT long.  I pretty much tailgate now when it comes to eating at a ballgame anyway...better food and at a much lower cost.  Maybe a snack or two once inside, but the heave fare is consumed in the parking lot.   

Speaking of buying authentic blank Edge's, I see NHL Shop has home and away Devs jerseys for $200. Pretty good price, no? It's been about 10 years since I bought my only authentic jersey and I'm pretty sure I paid three hundred something to get it customized Brodeur. I'm kind of debating snatching one up before they are too hard to find...

29 minutes ago, Matteau#32 said:

I hate the Wilpons as much as any other Mets fan.  However, Mets fans were a little too whiny about the stadium when the building opened.  The complaining about the Brooklyn Dodgers stuff was ridiculous.  It is part of NY baseball history, get over it.  Not as if they had a mural to honor Hershiser or Scoscia's HR.  Agreed though, should have mixed in some old NY Giants stuff, as well.  

They overdid the Dodgers crap though...a rotunda dedicated to a guy who never played a game as a Met (I get Jackie Robinson's place in baseball history transcends what team he played on, but still), with the rotunda itself a feature that pays homage to a team that not only bolted for the West Coast over 50 years prior, but is STILL VERY MUCH IN THE LEAGUE and is one of the premiere teams in MLB?!  You could even buy Sandy Koufax T-shirts in the clothing shops at Citi for a while...WTF?!

The problem was that Brooklyn Dodger history was given precedence over the team that actually plays in the building...and that made the Mets' brand-new ballpark feel less like home initially than Shea Stadium, sadly to the point that the opening of the new stadium that the Mets sorely needed was not nearly as celebrated as it should have been...what should have been a no-brainer slamdunk became more of a rim clanger (especially with the absurd outfield dimensions, which thankfully have been adjusted, and some obstructed views).  Now it's true that the Wilpons have made some welcome modifications (changing the outfield wall colors, bringing in the fences, adding a very nice Mets Hall of Fame, among other more subtle touches), but the problem with Fred and his demon seed Jeffy is that they never know what the right thing to do is until they fvck up royally first, then have to have everything explained to them.  Building a stadium that was obviously intended to be a shroud to the Brooklyn fvcking Dodgers was example #1000000 of how out of touch the Wilpons remain with the Met fanbase...and why it's forever difficult for fans to ever trust or embrace them. 

10 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Speaking of buying authentic blank Edge's, I see NHL Shop has home and away Devs jerseys for $200. Pretty good price, no? It's been about 10 years since I bought my only authentic jersey and I'm pretty sure I paid three hundred something to get it customized Brodeur. I'm kind of debating snatching one up before they are too hard to find...

That's where I snagged mine.  Reds are running low...think only 54s and 56s are left. 

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I would wait a little longer for better deals.  Those "authentics" on NHL Shop are all Indo-Edges.  Indo-Edges are Indonesian-made jerseys marketed as "authentics" to the public, but are just cheaper versions of the real made-in-Canada Edge 2.0's.

For comparison, Amazon had a sale 2-3 years ago of Indo-Edges for $80-90 a pop.  $200 is high for an Indo-Edge.