The Devils Uniforms

Since1982-83

1 minute ago, mikepeluso8 said:

I'm no uniform guru (I have a life) but, what's the gripe with the new jerseys? Doesn't seem to strike me as "oh fvck no!"...pretty basic, pretty standard, pretty Devils to me...

I collect jerseys and I have a life. Aren't you the guy who had nothing but FIRE HYNES to say for an entire season? You're one to talk!!

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I collect jerseys and I have a life. Aren't you the guy who had nothing but FIRE HYNES to say for an entire season? You're one to talk!!

That's correct.  I have a life, I don't collect jerseys AND I wanted to Fire Hynes all last season.  Questions?

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Many. Most aren't appropriate to post online. 

Great.  So without offending all of you with "lives" who collect jerseys and critique jerseys on the regular (must be a riveting one you're leading), can you share with the rest of us common folk what the issue with the new jerseys is? Thanks dudes.

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

For everyone's info, MeiGray just posted their excess stock of Reebok jerseys on eBay. Red or white for $129.99, red and green retro for $149.99. 

For those who want a team issue Canadian made jersey in the old "correct stripes" style, those are a pretty good deal. 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=meigraygroup&_sop=12&_osacat=0&_ipg=50&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xdevils+2.0.TRS0&_nkw=devils+2.0&_sacat=0

Just  bought one of these, and will be returning the Indo. 

8 hours ago, mikepeluso8 said:

Great.  So without offending all of you with "lives" who collect jerseys and critique jerseys on the regular (must be a riveting one you're leading), can you share with the rest of us common folk what the issue with the new jerseys is? Thanks dudes.

It's called having a hobby you moron.  Is that too hard of a concept for you to grasp?

I've actually defended the new design quite a bit here and don't have any problems with it.  Questions?

now back under the bridge where you can can shout fire Hynes all day you troll.

10 hours ago, mikepeluso8 said:

I'm no uniform guru (I have a life) but, what's the gripe with the new jerseys? Doesn't seem to strike me as "oh fvck no!"...pretty basic, pretty standard, pretty Devils to me...

I know your schtick is to be an abrasive douche, but I'll sum it all up for you, re:  those of us who have a gripe with the new jerseys, since apparently you won't read through the thread.

Though many of us would've been very happy to see the new Adidas Devils jerseys remain as close to the outgoing design as possible, a number of fans were at least open to the idea of a new concept, as long as it didn't represent an overall downgrade from the previous design...I was one of them. 

Well, suffice it to say that the Adidas version, in the eyes of many, represents a MASSIVE downgrade, to say the least.  The logo fortunately survived unmolested, but the shoulder yoke was truncated and now looks off, the "equal width" sleeve stripes were blown up to the point where they look like a child's swimmies (they look especially bad on the red jerseys), and the lower stripes were eliminated and replaced with a relatively thin black stripe at the bottom of the jersey.  These are pretty significant changes in the grand scheme, and to many fans, the new jerseys look like anything from pajama tops to cheap overseas knockoffs of what we consider "the real thing".  Even worse, apparently the main reason that these changes were made was to pay homage to the Kansas City Scouts (red collar stripe), the Colorado Rockies (the three equal-sized stripes), and some team from the fvcking Prohibition Era (the Newark Bulldogs) that maybe 1% of the Devils fanbase knows ever existed...hell, as far as that black stripe goes that has nothing to do with the Bulldogs as far as anyone can see, they would have been better off telling us that that stripe was paying tribute to the Jersey Devils of the EHL (they played in the mid-60s to early-70s...see photo)...at least that might have made some kind of sense.  But the fact is that a very small percentage care about this franchise's history prior to 1982, let alone some completely unrelated team from the 1920s.  It's a design that's not only very out-of-step with the majority of the fanbase's desires, but doesn't improve on the prior template in any way.

Now sure, some fans do like the new jerseys, which is 100% fine...to each their own...hell, I wish I could embrace these things, but they don't look right to me and no matter how many times I look at them and hope that they'll somehow grow on me, they still don't.  I think that they'll look a little better with equipment underneath them on actual players, but not nearly as good as the old ones.  Of course, some fans who do indeed like the Adidas jerseys strongly imply that those who don't agree are somehow opposed to change, stuck in the past, complaining just because, etc.  Not the case...with some tweaks, I could definitely live with a modified version of the Adidas jerseys.  But as they're currently designed, I think that they're pretty awful.  Seeing Hischier in the "old" getup only added to that feeling.

Image result for jersey devils ehl

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

Just now, Martyisth3b3st said:

"Won't" <> "Can't". We're talking about a guy here with a third grade reading level and the attention span of a squirrel.

I think everyone has already articulated a billion times what you've said; and even though I don't disagree with it completely I think it's fair to say "let's wait to see what they look like on the players". 

At the end of the day, for me at least, there was one thing sacred; the Devils crest. They didn't touch that, so I can't be too terribly upset. I prefer the old look to the new look, but when we see a full team in pads skating out there with these uniforms I'm not so sure it'll be the worst thing ever. 

Agree on the bolded, just didn't want to give him any excuses to go on and on, especially since he clearly wasn't going to read through the thread.  Now it's all been explained to him in one post.

Fine with people hating the new jersey. I like the old style better myself. Whats starting to get to me is the complaining about them spreading to and ruining every thread. 

We finally get to see our first No1 overall pick since 1979 on the ice for the firs time ever, and the training camp thread devolves into "OMG LOOKAT THE JERSEYSSO UGLY, I WISH IT WAS 1989 AGAIN!!"

I. Dont. Give. A. sh&#33;t. Leave the uniform bitching in the uniform bitching thread. 

I want to read about Hischier and the other exciting prospects we have.

11 minutes ago, Toasterleavins said:

Fine with people hating the new jersey. I like the old style better myself. Whats starting to get to me is the complaining about them spreading to and ruining every thread. 

We finally get to see our first No1 overall pick since 1979 on the ice for the firs time ever, and the training camp thread devolves into "OMG LOOKAT THE JERSEYSSO UGLY, I WISH IT WAS 1989 AGAIN!!"

I. Dont. Give. A. sh&#33;t. Leave the uniform bitching in the uniform bitching thread. 

I want to read about Hischier and the other exciting prospects we have.

Wasn't really like this, just one poster complaining, followed by others simply wondering when the Adidas jerseys would make their debut, since it was mildly surprising to see the old ones. 

There will be more to talk about in that thread after all of the scrimmages.  I envy those who will be there; looks like it will be a lot of fun.  Just the kind of thing to get the hockey anticipation juices flowin'...

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm not a fan of using designs from outside the franchise, but if they wanted to use that logo on a third jersey, I would be all for it. That crest is badass. 

That could be pretty cool...maybe a bit gimmicky, but definitely interesting.  I wonder if that red and black ever figured into the NJ Devils' red and black...if our Devils were even aware of those Devils.

13 hours ago, mikepeluso8 said:

• Like 1

From NJDfan1711 (quoted from the Development thread as to keep the uniform chat in this thread):

They [Devils] made their bed, now they have to sleep in it.  I'm not even convinced that the Devils marketing/creative team will admit or accept that they're not so great or at the very least haven't been well received, but even if they did, they're still not going to abandon them and stop marketing them.  It is what it is. We're going to be stuck with these for probably two years at least, so they have to try and sell them.

It's funny, because if I'm on the Devils marketing/creative team, I'm probably thinking the same way that they do.  Sure, there's been some complaining, but they have no real quantitative proof as to exactly HOW many fans hate or strongly dislike these things.  Even if a lot of us despise the final result, there were still likely several brainstorming sessions, meetings, approval processes, designs that were tweaked and mocked up and tweaked and mocked up and tweaked some more...several hundred man-hours and resources invested in these, as no process like this is ever fast or as simple as it may seem (saving the logo likely shaved some significant time off the design process, though we don't know if alternate logos were considered or how much time was spent on potential new logo concepts...sounds like some man-hours might have been burned up there too). 

And of course, with all of that time and money spent, no one is going to admit within less than a month that these might indeed turn out to be a sales failure, especially when in the creative team's eyes it's only pure speculation right now that they will fail.  Sure, you'll get your share of incompetent out-of-touch buffoon-ridden "think tanks", but even those guys plan for contingencies.  Even if the volume of unhappy fans was more than they expected, they still likely expected a significant amount of them.  Things that seem damned near sacred to many often get fvcked with at some point, much like the Coca-Cola/New Coke disaster back in the day (several of you are probably too young to remember this, but in 1985 Coca-Cola decided to dump their formula for a new one, complete with a new can and logo to go with the new flavor...it was a complete disaster, so much so that Coca-Cola brought back their old formula within a few months...but of course, in not wanting to admit total failure, they still offered the new formula for another seven years as an alternate consumer option).  And like that case and many others show, you'll almost never get that instant reversal of a initially iffy-looking decision with these guys...they will be very patient, they will give it time, they will wait for numbers and data and long-term feedback that show conclusively that yes, this was a fvck-up, and THEN they might act.  I still think there's a better chance of some tweaks to the new jersey than an outright return to something very close to the old one though.  Lots of people out there who don't ever want to admit outright failure, no matter what. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

From NJDfan1711 (quoted from the Development thread as to keep the uniform chat in this thread):

They [Devils] made their bed, now they have to sleep in it.  I'm not even convinced that the Devils marketing/creative team will admit or accept that they're not so great or at the very least haven't been well received, but even if they did, they're still not going to abandon them and stop marketing them.  It is what it is. We're going to be stuck with these for probably two years at least, so they have to try and sell them.

It's funny, because if I'm on the Devils marketing/creative team, I'm probably thinking the same way that they do.  Sure, there's been some complaining, but they have no real quantitative proof as to exactly HOW many fans hate or strongly dislike these things.  Even if a lot of us despise the final result, there were still likely several brainstorming sessions, meetings, approval processes, designs that were tweaked and mocked up and tweaked and mocked up and tweaked some more...several hundred man-hours and resources invested in these, as no process like this is ever fast or as simple as it may seem (saving the logo likely shaved some significant time off the design process, though we don't know if alternate logos were considered or how much time was spent on potential new logo concepts...sounds like some man-hours might have been burned up there too). 

And of course, with all of that time and money spent, no one is going to admit within less than a month that these might indeed turn out to be a sales failure, especially when in the creative team's eyes it's only pure speculation right now that they will fail.  Sure, you'll get your share of incompetent out-of-touch buffoon-ridden "think tanks", but even those guys plan for contingencies.  Even if the volume of unhappy fans was more than they expected, they still likely expected a significant amount of them.  Things that seem damned near sacred to many often get fvcked with at some point, much like the Coca-Cola/New Coke disaster back in the day (several of you are probably too young to remember this, but in 1985 Coca-Cola decided to dump their formula for a new one, complete with a new can and logo to go with the new flavor...it was a complete disaster, so much so that Coca-Cola brought back their old formula within a few months...but of course, in not wanting to admit total failure, they still offered the new formula for another seven years as an alternate consumer option).  And like that case and many others show, you'll almost never get that instant reversal of a initially iffy-looking decision with these guys...they will be very patient, they will give it time, they will wait for numbers and data and long-term feedback that show conclusively that yes, this was a fvck-up, and THEN they might act.  I still think there's a better chance of some tweaks to the new jersey than an outright return to something very close to the old one though.  Lots of people out there who don't ever want to admit outright failure, no matter what. 

First off, sorry to all if I was the one who kept-going the uniform talk in the other thread.  Someone else brought it up, and I was merely responding to it (I tend to follow the conversation and flow in threads, without actually paying too much attention to which actual forum we're in, I just assumed it was on topic, but if it wasn't, my bad :) ). Appreciate CR76 taking the time to bring this over here and save me!

Secondly, that's a great point and comparison to Coke, and what they did with "New Coke", aka "syruppy piss water" lol.  That was largely a one-off example (I can't think of many more where a true and rather immediate reversal happened), and it came from a billion dollar company whose product is consumed daily, in millions of quantities, and only costs a few bucks.  They had to do something and had to react to the pulse of the people.  That's not the case here.  This product is a jersey, that costs substantially more, and will be worn for months/years, until the owner needs to purchase a replacement, or, hopefully, they re-brand again, and go back to what we all liked.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

"Won't" <> "Can't". We're talking about a guy here with a third grade reading level and the attention span of a squirrel.

I think everyone has already articulated a billion times what you've said; and even though I don't disagree with it completely I think it's fair to say "let's wait to see what they look like on the players". 

At the end of the day, for me at least, there was one thing sacred; the Devils crest. They didn't touch that, so I can't be too terribly upset. I prefer the old look to the new look, but when we see a full team in pads skating out there with these uniforms I'm not so sure it'll be the worst thing ever. 

Third grade reading level eh? Haha. Let's just say I didn't attend one of the state schools in NJ that y'all attended.  I will leave it at that.  I am all for banter but when you want to talk about education, you better be prepared chief...

11 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I know your schtick is to be an abrasive douche, but I'll sum it all up for you, re:  those of us who have a gripe with the new jerseys, since apparently you won't read through the thread.

Though many of us would've been very happy to see the new Adidas Devils jerseys remain as close to the outgoing design as possible, a number of fans were at least open to the idea of a new concept, as long as it didn't represent an overall downgrade from the previous design...I was one of them. 

Well, suffice it to say that the Adidas version, in the eyes of many, represents a MASSIVE downgrade, to say the least.  The logo fortunately survived unmolested, but the shoulder yoke was truncated and now looks off, the "equal width" sleeve stripes were blown up to the point where they look like a child's swimmies (they look especially bad on the red jerseys), and the lower stripes were eliminated and replaced with a relatively thin black stripe at the bottom of the jersey.  These are pretty significant changes in the grand scheme, and to many fans, the new jerseys look like anything from pajama tops to cheap overseas knockoffs of what we consider "the real thing".  Even worse, apparently the main reason that these changes were made was to pay homage to the Kansas City Scouts (red collar stripe), the Colorado Rockies (the three equal-sized stripes), and some team from the fvcking Prohibition Era (the Newark Bulldogs) that maybe 1% of the Devils fanbase knows ever existed...hell, as far as that black stripe goes that has nothing to do with the Bulldogs as far as anyone can see, they would have been better off telling us that that stripe was paying tribute to the Jersey Devils of the EHL (they played in the mid-60s to early-70s...see photo)...at least that might have made some kind of sense.  But the fact is that a very small percentage care about this franchise's history prior to 1982, let alone some completely unrelated team from the 1920s.  It's a design that's not only very out-of-step with the majority of the fanbase's desires, but doesn't improve on the prior template in any way.

Now sure, some fans do like the new jerseys, which is 100% fine...to each their own...hell, I wish I could embrace these things, but they don't look right to me and no matter how many times I look at them and hope that they'll somehow grow on me, they still don't.  I think that they'll look a little better with equipment underneath them on actual players, but not nearly as good as the old ones.  Of course, some fans who do indeed like the Adidas jerseys strongly imply that those who don't agree are somehow opposed to change, stuck in the past, complaining just because, etc.  Not the case...with some tweaks, I could definitely live with a modified version of the Adidas jerseys.  But as they're currently designed, I think that they're pretty awful.  Seeing Hischier in the "old" getup only added to that feeling.

Image result for jersey devils ehl

Appreciate your diligence and willingness to at least explain where you are coming from...respect to that.

With that being said, it's a fvcking uniform. No one gives a sh&#33;t and I certainly don't. Waste of time and energy complaining about a damn team's uniforms all day...honestly.  The logo is the same. Big deal, the stripes are different and the colors are changed here and there...tweaks...minor tweaks.  To someone who is half retarded and barely able to type on a computer, take my word for it, CAN'T SEE A fvckING THING! 

18 minutes ago, mikepeluso8 said:

Third grade reading level eh? Haha. Let's just say I didn't attend one of the state schools in NJ that y'all attended.  I will leave it at that.  I am all for banter but when you want to talk about education, you better be prepared chief...

Step off the high horse son, don't be disrespecting Rutgers now :lol: