The Devils Uniforms

Since1982-83

14 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Yeah I heard about that too and looking at NHL Uniforms website it happened in the 77-78 season.

Ballard wasn't alone in hating the name being put on the back of the jerseys.  I believe it was the Seals who started doing that as one of the ways to help promote the team (along with wearing completely white skates).  Other teams soon followed but a lot of the owners didn't like the idea of putting names on the back as they thought that it would place the players above the team and therefore the owners would have to shell out more for the bigger names.  Ballard was really the only one who tried to fight it but it was a losing battle.

Yeah, only a handful of teams were putting names on the backs of the jerseys in 76-77 (just prior to the mandate), and even then, it was only for home jerseys.  I'm sure not all of the owners were thrilled about it, but I can't picture jerseys without names now (nor would I want to...I like the names being there myself).   

On 7/25/2017 at 11:02 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, only a handful of teams were putting names on the backs of the jerseys in 76-77 (just prior to the mandate), and even then, it was only for home jerseys.  I'm sure not all of the owners were thrilled about it, but I can't picture jerseys without names now (nor would I want to...I like the names being there myself).   

I'd be surprised if anyone could picture or want no names on jerseys.  I mean, I guess it's a "cleaner" look, but it makes it easier to follow the game and the action, and it also gives the players something to be proud of from an individual/personal standpoint.   The name being on the back is a way they represent themselves on the ice (in terms of their character, effort, and of course, playing ability).  I actually hate the fact that the Yankees don't have names on their jerseys in baseball.  Besides just looking weird, I find it pretty hard to tell who's who since I don't follow baseball, or at least the Yankees, too closely.

Also, I can't believe two teams wore colored jerseys last year in the same game.  That actually happened?  What was the reasoning for it?  That would drive me nuts, and I'm someone who has pretty good vision and doesn't have any trouble telling colors apart.

11 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I'd be surprised if anyone could picture or want no names on jerseys.  I mean, I guess it's a "cleaner" look, but it makes it easier to follow the game and the action, and it also gives the players something to be proud of from an individual/personal standpoint.   The name being on the back is a way they represent themselves on the ice (in terms of their character, effort, and of course, playing ability).  I actually hate the fact that the Yankees don't have names on their jerseys in baseball.  Besides just looking weird, I find it pretty hard to tell who's who since I don't follow baseball, or at least the Yankees, too closely.

Also, I can't believe two teams wore colored jerseys last year in the same game.  That actually happened?  What was the reasoning for it?  That would drive me nuts, and I'm someone who has pretty good vision and doesn't have any trouble telling colors apart.

It was in a preseason game at a neutral site I believe.  From what I understand, the Panthers didn't read the memo right and brought the wrong set with them to the game.

9 hours ago, '7' said:

Imagine the AHL jersey ends up having the proper Devils striping. We'd all bowl over laughing. Unless they need to pay tribute to the Newark Bullsh!ts and Rockies too.

The shoulders do kind of look like the old, wider yoke there...

What's REALLY scary is that I think changing the NJ logo was absolutely on the table at points during the redesign process...can't help but wonder if something along the lines of the Binghamton crest was heavily considered to replace ours.  Thank God SOMEONE involved put an end to that idea.

Agree with nessus, the trident isn't half-bad...if that was the main crest (with NJ logos on the shoulders), that would be a major improvement.  But the "Devoji"...bleech.  Terrible.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

I think the word mark one without the head looks better than the creepy smiling face. And the trident is cool. 

But eh, it's the minor league team. It doesn't matter enough to get worked to over

And CR76 is right... I think you can guarantee this was on the table for the big club. Thank god someone had the sense not to let it happen

• Like 1

One thing that's weird too is the introduction of Orange in the color palette on the trident...that seems weird to me. 

Again, the more I look at it, the more I like it - I'd buy a tshirt...but stay away from the NHL team with it.

Also, it's a logo that can move cities too as minor teams do from time to time. 

4 hours ago, HellOnICE said:

You know what , for our minor team... I like it. Only thing is the tail out of his head seems weird. But other than that, i think it's coool. I still would like to see the Devils den logo head as a minor primary. 

It's a mullet; representing parts of upstate NY where they still rock that look. 

It looks like garbage. Again the empty no bottom stripes look. And it indeed is an emoji. A silly cartoonish emoji. 

It's still feels odd to me, after the Lou era, to have this franchise behaving in such a bush league manner. Even though this is just minor leagues so nobody will lose any sleep over it.

It's all around ugly. Even the best aspect of it, the trident, looks out of place and cluttered on the shoulders

• Like 3

Now that the dust has settled a little bit, my view of the B-Devils jersey has softened a little bit.  However, while a lot of teams also have cartoony logos, the B-Devils did it the wrong way.  I think the parts I hate about it is the stupid helmet and the sh!t-eating grin he has.  Remove that helmet and tail and make the Devil a little more evil looking (even the rat in the River Rat logo looked more angry/evil) and the logo would look vastly improved.