The Devils Uniforms

Since1982-83

All I can say is WOW!  Those Bingo jerseys are horrible.  The primary and secondary logos are bad, and the crest looks tiny on the jersey without the horizontal striping.  The wordmark and shoulder patches are good though.  They should have made the shoulder patch the primary logo. 

The one thing I will say is that logo scares the hell out of me when the big club comes out with a 3rd jersey in a year or 2. 

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Now that the dust has settled a little bit, my view of the B-Devils jersey has softened a little bit.  However, while a lot of teams also have cartoony logos, the B-Devils did it the wrong way.  I think the parts I hate about it is the stupid helmet and the sh!t-eating grin he has.  Remove that helmet and tail and make the Devil a little more evil looking (even the rat in the River Rat logo looked more angry/evil) and the logo would look vastly improved.

That's my beef...they made the Devil CUTE?!  It's a fvcking Devil for fvck's sake!  If they really wanted to put an actual Devil on the jersey, they could've come up with something a hell of a lot more badass than that!  That really looks like a mighty mites jersey with the Devoji as the crest.  I agree with your suggestions on how it can potentially be improved though...they would represent a start...hell, even the Lowell Devils logo was light-years ahead of the Devoji. 

Agree with others that I don't really get worked up over what the AHL team is wearing, but it will always scare me that OUR team was probably a lot closer to doing this to the big team's jersey than we'll ever know.  I have a feeling there were probably some very heated discussions about ditching the classic NJ logo.  God what a disaster that would have been...the reaction to Fishsticks and Buffaslugs would have seemed like a kumbayah serenade compared to how we would've lost it. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

A lot of people worrying about the "cute" logo need to remember that minor league teams tend to market to kids and families. That may have played into those decisions. 

That being said, it wouldn't shock me to see a black third for Bing with that shoulder logo in the future. 

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

A lot of people worrying about the "cute" logo need to remember that minor league teams tend to market to kids and families. That may have played into those decisions. 

That being said, it wouldn't shock me to see a black third for Bing with that shoulder logo in the future. 

They could have made it a little less cute-sy.  The Beast of New Haven, an ECHL team, had a Krull-inspired beast as their main logo.

Hell even the Dayton Demonz, an FHL team, has a scarier mascot/logo than the B-Devils:

web-dayton-demonz02-wp*750xx600-800-0-0.

On Sunday, July 30, 2017 at 7:41 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

What's REALLY scary is that I think changing the NJ logo was absolutely on the table at points during the redesign process...can't help but wonder if something along the lines of the Binghamton crest was heavily considered to replace ours.  Thank God SOMEONE involved put an end to that idea.

Agree with nessus, the trident isn't half-bad...if that was the main crest (with NJ logos on the shoulders), that would be a major improvement.  But the "Devoji"...bleech.  Terrible.

The sh!t storm that would happen if they used this logo on our jerseys would be unreal. I honestly believe they would have to change the logo back before the start of the season because of how much the fans, myself in included on this one would flip out lol 

3 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

They could have made it a little less cute-sy.  The Beast of New Haven, an ECHL team, had a Krull-inspired beast as their main logo.

Hell even the Dayton Demonz, an FHL team, has a scarier mascot/logo than the B-Devils:

web-dayton-demonz02-wp*750xx600-800-0-0.

They could have made it less cutesy, yes. And yeah other teams approached it differently, but I think being a minor league team made them decide to go a more kid-friendly route. 

I also think something like this was on the table for the big club and i hope who ever brought it up is bagging groceries now. 

On 7/29/2017 at 0:49 PM, DevsMan84 said:

They just revealed the new Binghamton logo and jersey.  It's pretty brutal.

IMG_2064.JPG

I like that 3rd one a lot.  The others, I don't really think they're good, but I don't hate them as much as others seem to.  I agree that it was probably marketed towards a younger audience, hence the emoji-looking face style, as well as the a sort of smile rather than a menacing grin.  It's fine for a minor league club, but as others have said, keep this away from our NHL Devils, and leave our logo as-is.

This article was posted by someone on a jersey forum.  This is in regards to the new Fanatics-branded "Breakaway" line of replicas which will replace the Reebok-branded Premier line of replicas.

https://sgbonline.com/fanatics-raphael-peck-talks-league-deals/

Most telling is this part:

Can you discuss the NHL fan jersey redesign? The National Hockey League has done an incredible job developing a beautiful authentic jersey, but it’s one which commands a high price point. When we gained the exclusive fan jersey rights, the first thing we wanted to do was ensure we were creating a product that fit the needs and wants of fans worldwide. So we reached out to over 15,000 fans and invited them to be part of the design solution. What we heard back was: ‘My jersey fits big,’ ‘I can’t fold it,’ ‘It has to be hung,’ ‘I struggle to launder my jersey and wash it properly, ‘It’s heavy and ‘it’s scratchy.’ And from women we heard, ‘I don’t love the fit,’ and overall women told us that against their skin it really doesn’t feel good.

And we took all these issues and said, how do we take weight out of the jersey, make it more malleable so that it can be folded and laundered and how do we refine the fit? Most of the current fan jerseys really would look better on someone who was wearing shoulder pads. So while we didn’t want to lose the authentic look, we wanted to make them appear less baggy or boxy. So we really approached this very methodically and developed what we call Fan Features. First there’s Fan Flex, an incredible new textile that supports embroidery and other forms of embellishment that go on a jersey to make it more comfortable. We also have Fan Fit, where we employed a digital model to analyze body forms to truly understand how to maximize the fit of the jersey. And then we have Fan Shield, a technology that manages moisture. Fans are always moving in different temperatures so cool and dry was a really important component to the redesign.

So these Fan Features become baseline components that we believe will be an absolutely incredible component to jerseys in the future, including our new NBA product doming out later this year.

So the jersey look basically doesn’t change? Yeah. The National Hockey League is incredibly disciplined about the heritage of the league and respect for the teams. And some teams are more open-minded to change than others. But by and large the official on-ice jersey is being overseen by Adidas and clearly that brand is going to work directly with the NHL to sort of set the basic baseline context of the aesthetic. There are some liberties that we can take creatively, and we have, but every time we take a creative liberty we make sure that it’s value additive to the jersey and to the fan and that the teams really, really love it. So we’re excited about the aesthetic. Overall, the biggest change to the  National Hockey League jersey is that that you are actually going to have by and large crew-neck jerseys on the ice for the first time in decades and you’re going to go away from the traditional V or lace up to much more of a crew-neck type look. Even where there are lace-up jerseys, those will be integrated into the crew neck as well.

In other words, prepare for replica jerseys to feel even more like a glorified t-shirt than an actual reproduction of an on-ice jersey.

16 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Shoutout to @Ralliart90 for grabbing like.. 10 jerseys on clearance from the NHL store over the weekend.

Da real MVP.

I fully expect these Adidas replicas to be garbage in quality.

Give it a few years and the customization will soon be totally screened on and you will be told it is a "feature" that will make it easier for you to fold and wash.

Just you wait.

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 5:40 PM, Devil Dan 56 said:

I also think something like this was on the table for the big club and i hope who ever brought it up is bagging groceries now. 

I just get the feeling that the jersey redesign push (which reportedly included a much bigger redesign of the logo and the jersey than we ended up with) was spearheaded by Hugh Weber.  For some reason I always feel like he thinks he's the smartest person in the room when, really, he's generally clueless when it comes to dealing with this fanbase.

• Like 1

I don't know when this country's obsession with sleek cartoons as logos is going to fade away. Whenever I think they're done, they come back with a vengeance. Still think it's dumb to have the minor league squad named after the big club. Let them develop their own identity.

In other news, the Sixers revealed new uniforms. The good news is they're great looking, the bad news is the stubhub patch. No doubt with these owners we'll be the first with advertisements.

14 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

I just get the feeling that the jersey redesign push (which reportedly included a much bigger redesign of the logo and the jersey than we ended up with) was spearheaded by Hugh Weber.  For some reason I always feel like he thinks he's the smartest person in the room when, really, he's generally clueless when it comes to dealing with this fanbase.

My opinion of him has been bumped down a couple notches over the past year.  He was hired because he is this supposed marketing geek/guru, but his one size fits all approach is not working here too well.

I also firmly believe he was the one who wanted to change the logo for the big club.

2 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

I don't know when this country's obsession with sleek cartoons as logos is going to fade away. Whenever I think they're done, they come back with a vengeance. Still think it's dumb to have the minor league squad named after the big club. Let them develop their own identity.

In other news, the Sixers revealed new uniforms. The good news is they're great looking, the bad news is the stubhub patch. No doubt with these owners we'll be the first with advertisements.

To be fair, I think at least a handful of other NBA teams are putting sponsor patches this year.

The WCOH jerseys had that SAP patch and quite frankly they weren't that bad.  They didn't take away from the overall appearance of the jersey and they were not really in your face. 

5 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I also firmly believe he was the one who wanted to change the logo for the big club.

I have zero clue who this guy is..............but are you suggesting this ^^^  just as a guess?   Or do you have some insight?

I'd be at the front of the pitchforks if this was true

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

I have zero clue who this guy is..............but are you suggesting this ^^^  just as a guess?   Or do you have some insight?

I'd be at the front of the pitchforks if this was true

He is the President of the Devils hockey club.  Shero reports to him.  Weber reports to the owners.  Scott O'Neil is his counterpart who is the CEO of the Devils and Prudential Center.  Hugh handles the hockey club operations side, Scott handles the business side.

I do not have conclusive proof, but I remember there being an article shortly after the unveiling in June where someone (I believe Shero) said that there was a long conversation about a new logo and that a certain someone above him was heavily pushing for it.  I, as well as others, believe that person to be Weber.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

To be fair, I think at least a handful of other NBA teams are putting sponsor patches this year.

The WCOH jerseys had that SAP patch and quite frankly they weren't that bad.  They didn't take away from the overall appearance of the jersey and they were not really in your face. 

Yea but I remember the Sixers being the first team to officially pull the trigger, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the Devils be the first to announce and lead the first class of jersey ads. I guess North American sports waited out pretty long, but I guess I was naive and thought we'd never have ads.

2 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

Yea but I remember the Sixers being the first team to officially pull the trigger, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the Devils be the first to announce and lead the first class of jersey ads. I guess North American sports waited out pretty long, but I guess I was naive and thought we'd never have ads.

That's a distinct possibility, but I won't get upset about it until we cross that bridge.

I still don't think even with ads we will never get near the level that a lot of the European leagues do with their jerseys.

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

He is the President of the Devils hockey club.  Shero reports to him.  Weber reports to the owners.  Scott O'Neil is his counterpart who is the CEO of the Devils and Prudential Center.  Hugh handles the hockey club operations side, Scott handles the business side.

I do not have conclusive proof, but I remember there being an article shortly after the unveiling in June where someone (I believe Shero) said that there was a long conversation about a new logo and that a certain someone above him was heavily pushing for it.  I, as well as others, believe that person to be Weber.

Thank you

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

That's a distinct possibility, but I won't get upset about it until we cross that bridge.

I still don't think even with ads we will never get near the level that a lot of the European leagues do with their jerseys.

Why wouldn't we once the floodgates open? That's why you can't give them even an inch. 

They are coming. I don't think especially soon, but I can see it in the next 10 years (probably closer to 10 than say 4-5)

Edited by '7'

Weber was the one who declared that he can't wait to see the Rock filled with the new jerseys as soon as they were released.

As if it's a fact. He was promptly annihilated on twitter by Devils fans saying they would never buy it.

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, '7' said:

Why wouldn't we once the floodgates open? That's why you can't give them even an inch. 

They are coming. I don't think especially soon, but I can see it in the next 10 years (probably closer to 10 than say 4-5)

Ads are inevitable.  I won't argue with that.  However I do think that they won't be as bad as the European league's jerseys.  One is that while the NHL is always money-hungry, they don't depend on that ad revenue as much as those teams in Europe.  Second is the attitude towards them.  The fans will be able to take so much and the NHL knows it will face a backlash if they start to look like NASCAR uniforms.

Besides, more likely if they do put more than a couple ads on the players the helmet would probably be more prime real estate for the advertisers than the jersey.