Jump to content

The Devils Uniforms


Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Okay... This was posted on HF tonight. It apparently came from Reddit. I'm copying and pasting, so sorry if it's more annoying to read, but I certainly found it interesting. Those who say complaining does nothing may be wrong about that: 'HEY - INTERESTING STUFF VIA REDDIT:

I know an individual who does this kind of work. Deals with image rehabilitation, crisis management etc. basically they devise strategies to help individuals or companies navigate the waters of bad PR. I am a Canucks fan living in NY with no dog in the fight. There was a Devils staffing that just came through. It is under a code name. It is uniform related. Here is basically what I was told.

 

*Devils absolutely stunned at reaction. Paralyzed with rhetoric and disgust of fans and mobilization.

 

*NHL front office people refer to Devils and fans as an O7 team. Meaning they are similar in mentality to fans of those teams. Very protective of brand and image. Satisfied with it. NHL told Devils of risks of changing it but they did it anyway

 

*Devils will be allowed to abort and use old jerseys this year due to response. Drop dead date sometime in August. Devils want to see how and if new sells. If it does not they will develop saving face plan. Claim manufacturing and replication issues in new designs was issue not response.

 

*Individual in org who is strong supporter wants full year to see if people warm up to it. Was driving force behind changes. Wanted even more changes but old regime holdovers talked him down. This individual is not one of owners but high ranking.

 

*Devils telling staff not to engage in back in forth with fans on social media regarding comments on any jersey related posts. Just say positive things and leave.'

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

As much as I'd like to believe it, there's always someone on reddit with a convenient friend with a story everyone wants to hear.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jesus. H. Christ. Some of you guys are hysterical. Like, beyond hysterical. I'm not a huge fan of the new uniforms, I'm really not. But holy crap some of you are acting like they slapped your sis

YOU SHUT YOUR GOD DAMN WHORE MOUTH LEAVE MY BANNERS ALONE SO HELP ME GOD *cough* I mean, uh, no I doubt they'll do that, doesn't seem to make much sense right?

Dallas doesn't have red on them though, the red and green together look awful to me. Seeing them a few times a year is fine but I never want them back full time.  

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Okay... This was posted on HF tonight. It apparently came from Reddit. I'm copying and pasting, so sorry if it's more annoying to read, but I certainly found it interesting. Those who say complaining does nothing may be wrong about that: 'HEY - INTERESTING STUFF VIA REDDIT:

I know an individual who does this kind of work. Deals with image rehabilitation, crisis management etc. basically they devise strategies to help individuals or companies navigate the waters of bad PR. I am a Canucks fan living in NY with no dog in the fight. There was a Devils staffing that just came through. It is under a code name. It is uniform related. Here is basically what I was told.

 

*Devils absolutely stunned at reaction. Paralyzed with rhetoric and disgust of fans and mobilization.

 

*NHL front office people refer to Devils and fans as an O7 team. Meaning they are similar in mentality to fans of those teams. Very protective of brand and image. Satisfied with it. NHL told Devils of risks of changing it but they did it anyway

 

*Devils will be allowed to abort and use old jerseys this year due to response. Drop dead date sometime in August. Devils want to see how and if new sells. If it does not they will develop saving face plan. Claim manufacturing and replication issues in new designs was issue not response.

 

*Individual in org who is strong supporter wants full year to see if people warm up to it. Was driving force behind changes. Wanted even more changes but old regime holdovers talked him down. This individual is not one of owners but high ranking.

 

*Devils telling staff not to engage in back in forth with fans on social media regarding comments on any jersey related posts. Just say positive things and leave.'

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

If true, then it sounds to me maybe it was Ray wanted to switch the logo.  

When I saw the jersey on Nico, I did not like it. I was indifferent before that.  

Now, I couldn't imagine the reaction if they had actually gone back to Red/Green

 

And nice job on the jersey collection guys

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

If true, then it sounds to me maybe it was Ray wanted to switch the logo.  

When I saw the jersey on Nico, I did not like it. I was indifferent before that.  

Now, I couldn't imagine the reaction if they had actually gone back to Red/Green

 

And nice job on the jersey collection guys

I think the fan base could've accepted a switch to red and green had they used the original jerseys. If they'd used green with this design, it'd be nuts.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I have been using eBay a LONG time, selling since 1998. I have bought tons of stuff, and sold tons of stuff, including an over 8,000 piece, mostly worthless comic book collection I inherited. It took about 3 years, I didn't list more than 10 lots a week just so I could keep it straight. Valuable stuff went individually, crap was lumped in lots of 10-25, either same title or similar. 

I couldn't sell it at comic book shows, not even the most valuable ones. Total strikeout. Once I turned to eBay, I sold every damn one of them, including maybe 10-15 vintage price guides that weren't even comic books, they just told you how much comics were worth 20 years ago. Those nerds, i mean guys, bought everything!!!

I only ever had one deal that went truly bad, a guitar I shipped to Europe, the guy claimed he never received it, they charged me back for it and took over $750 back from my bank account. Obviously I fought it, and having proof of delivery, I won and got my money back. But it was not fun to have that experience. 

I have had non-payers, but then I just re-list the item and move on. Life's too short, and you never know, as happened to me twice in the last six months, you may get more money the second time!

And may I add, four jersey transactions? You are not as obsessed as I am. I've had that many in the last 2 weeks and trying for more!!

I haven't bought a jersey in several years...came VERY close to buying a red Kovy during the SCF, but that was it.  I think I haven't bothered because I rarely wear jerseys outside of going to games, and I really enjoy wearing the ones from my "select" group (and all are still in tremendous shape).  What's kind of funny is that these new jerseys are making me want to start adding to the stable again, but with older jerseys...I think I'm going to add either a white classic (would love a Johnny Mac) or an "old" red and black (not sure who yet).

8 hours ago, CHIP72 said:

The more I look at the new tops (fvcking Tapatalk won't let me type "new jerseys" with a comma properly), the more I think they will look fine as part of a full uniform with hockey pants, but will look vastly inferior to the old jerseys when worn without hockey pants (i.e. by fans at games). That's true for both the reds and whites.

Very much this, I think the new jerseys need equipment and shoulder pads underneath them to look "right" (or as right as they're ever going to).  The shoulder yoke on Nico in the pics I've seen so far just seems very off...the whole thing does...the elements just aren't coming together, and the pic that SH posted seals the deal for me in that regard...I wish I could learn to like these things, but I can't...at least they'll look a little better on the players.

Can only hope that there's something to MD2020's post.  I'll say this much...if the Devils ever did undo this disaster in a season or less, fans will absolutely fall in love with these owners...there's something to be said for an ownership that simply says "We heard you, we understand, we're sorry, we'll fix this."  That would buy a ton of goodwill with fans who still aren't sure what to make of this new regime.     
 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I haven't bought a jersey in several years...came VERY close to buying a red Kovy during the SCF, but that was it.  I think I haven't bothered because I rarely wear jerseys outside of going to games, and I really enjoy wearing the ones from my "select" group (and all are still in tremendous shape).  What's kind of funny is that these new jerseys are making me want to start adding to the stable again, but with older jerseys...I think I'm going to add either a white classic (would love a Johnny Mac) or an "old" red and black (not sure who yet).

If you're talking old but still black and red, I've got those covered too!!

6003355237cd24db8345654a4f71a975_zps1b2d

0634bd5dd83894044c9a33b86bb3acff_zps9067

304D1183-B2E2-485A-8A61-9267F63A183B_zps

ACB7F606-420E-47EE-BCDB-9D19459D2698_zps

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, '7' said:

I love those CCM's too. They made the perfect hockey jersey. And I like the NHL logo and CCM tag on the bottom of the jersey rather than up by the neck

Yup, some of my favorites. I have very few of the Reebok jerseys. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

The more I see it the more I hate it, especially next to the old ones...

 

 

Thrilled to see Hirschier as a Devil but that's just a strange picture. I mean he's not wearing a Buffaslug or Fisherman. But we have our 1st rounder in the budget knockoff and the fans around him are wearing the best jerseys in the league. 

He's the player so what he should be wearing should be at least equal to what the fans or wearing right?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Yup, some of my favorites. I have very few of the Reebok jerseys. 

Yea the reeboks were sketchy, players would complain of sweat dripping into gloves as well as when they lost their footing they seemed to slide farther on the ice. Reebok at least tried to fix some of these things.

Do they still make the ccm's? I would get it customized with I hope Galchenyuk or Shattenkirk if hopefully we get one or both. Hirschier I guess would wait to see what number he takes. But I havent gotten a jersey in a while. Do people out there still have the correct lettering and numbers to make a true ccm classic?

 

Edited by '7'
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, '7' said:

Yea the reeboks were sketchy, players would complain of sweat dripping into gloves as well as when they lost their footing they seemed to slide farther on the ice. Reebok at least tried to fix some of these things.

Do they still make the ccm's? I would get it customized with I hope Galchenyuk or Shattenkirk if hopefully we get one or both. Hirschier I guess would wait to see what number he takes. But I havent gotten a jersey in a while. Do people out there still have the correct lettering and numbers to make a true ccm classic?

 

They do not still make CCMs, you're stuck with eBay for those. The lettering and numbers are (well up until this change) were basically the same since 1992, with only a slight variation between when Custom Crafted was doing them and Exclusive Pro Sports, who does them now.

I have been using EPS for several years now, for both vintage and current styles, and they do a great job. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. Yea I think I will use them

Never paid it much mind before but the subtle white and red collar strips was a nice little touch on the home and road. Well designed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2017 at 1:10 PM, Devil Dan 56 said:

I guess the only thing that will change it is the almighty dollar. If the thing doesn't sell, they will change it. My guess is that they use these this season, add a third next year, and don't consider changing back until 2020-2021 at the earliest.

I don't really sandwich the fans who voted "don't like them, but they're not terrible" with the 19 of 50+ who hate\despise them. (and again, 50 is such a small sample size) If you hate them that much, then you're never going to buy one, regardless how much success the team has wearing them. To the fans who feel they're not terrible.. I want to believe that they'll grow on them as the season progresses, when the Devils start playing with them, winning with them, bleeding in them, battling with them, etc. It takes a history and backstory to form a bond with something.. and these jersey's currently have neither. I personally like them, and think they will sell reasonably well.

EDIT:  At the very least, they created a buzz, and an internet murmur, that got people talking about the Devils during the summer. However you feel about the jersey, such attention in June\July is never a bad thing.

Edited by Beezer34
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2017 at 1:04 PM, '7' said:

Yea the reeboks were sketchy, players would complain of sweat dripping into gloves as well as when they lost their footing they seemed to slide farther on the ice. Reebok at least tried to fix some of these things.

Do they still make the ccm's? I would get it customized with I hope Galchenyuk or Shattenkirk if hopefully we get one or both. Hirschier I guess would wait to see what number he takes. But I havent gotten a jersey in a while. Do people out there still have the correct lettering and numbers to make a true ccm classic?

 

They didn't try, they actually did fix them.  Pretty quickly too.  The Edge 1.0 material is the one you are thinking about that caused both moisture to keep out, but also kept it in thus sweat dripping out of their jerseys and into their gloves.  Devils used the Edge 1.0 for just the first set in the 2007-08 season.  Basically just October through about December in 2007 before switching to Edge 2.0.  Reebok switched out the panels that had the Edge 1.0 materials (Reebok jerseys had many more panels of material that were sewn together than CCM's) with the Edge 2.0 which was largely air-knit which is the material the Devils were using since the 95-96 season.  In essence the 2.0's were largely made from the same material (some panels still had Edge mesh which is another different type of material) as the prior CCM's but just cut differently.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 9:57 AM, Beezer34 said:

You hit the nail on the head. The people that hate the new jersey, are the same people that wanted to keep the old goal song.. the same people that chant You Suck.. the same people that wanted Lou to GM until he was 98.. the same people that wanted Marty to play until he was 52...

You're not exactly a stranger to lumping people into groups Beez. 

Anyway, sure, some people probably like these things (as has been mentioned before, it's not a 100%-across-the-board universal hatred), and sure, 50 is obviously not a massive sample size (I said as much in the poll thread), but you have to have surmised by now that, based on early reactions around the internet and in social media, the overall vibe is clearly more negative than positive.  Maybe in terms of people complaining about the new look, that will soften in time (it kind of already has, now that people are accepting that this is what we're getting for at least a season or two...it's definitely not an embracement), but the much bigger question is does the initial "WTF?!" reaction ever soften so much that people who either hated them from the get-go or mildly disliked them are suddenly willing to buy them?  Admittedly though I suspect they won't sell well long term (they may initially, with first-overall Hischier in the fold, and perhaps a shiny new offseason toy or two joining the team), it's going to take several months before we get a firm answer as to the future of these jerseys, and whether or not the majority of Devils fans will eventually warm up to them.  I'm also curious to see how many fans personalize their Hischier jerseys on the old template. 

The poll questions that would answer a lot are:

1) How do you feel about these new Devils jerseys compared to the previous?  (Improved or Downgraded)

2) If the Devils could ditch these jerseys for the previous prior to start of the 2017-18 season, would you be on board with that?  (Yes or No)

I'm guessing at least 70% of the votes (conservative estimate, probably higher) would be for Downgraded and Yes. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You're not exactly a stranger to lumping people into groups Beez. 

Anyway, sure, some people probably like these things (as has been mentioned before, it's not a 100%-across-the-board universal hatred), and sure, 50 is obviously not a massive sample size (I said as much in the poll thread), but you have to have surmised by now that, based on early reactions around the internet and in social media, the overall vibe is clearly more negative than positive.  Maybe in terms of people complaining about the new look, that will soften in time (it kind of already has, now that people are accepting that this is what we're getting for at least a season or two...it's definitely not an embracement), but the much bigger question is does the initial "WTF?!" reaction ever soften so much that people who either hated them from the get-go or mildly disliked them are suddenly willing to buy them?  Admittedly though I suspect they won't sell well long term (they may initially, with first-overall Hischier in the fold, and perhaps a shiny new offseason toy or two joining the team), it's going to take several months before we get a firm answer as to the future of these jerseys, and whether or not the majority of Devils fans will eventually warm up to them.  I'm also curious to see how many fans personalize their Hischier jerseys on the old template. 

The poll questions that would answer a lot are:

1) How do you feel about these new Devils jerseys compared to the previous?  (Improved or Downgraded)

2) If the Devils could ditch these jerseys for the previous prior to start of the 2017-18 season, would you be on board with that?  (Yes or No)

I'm guessing at least 70% of the votes (conservative estimate, probably higher) would be for Downgraded and Yes. 

 

I would actually answer downgraded and yes for your questions.  The thing is that if they kept the jerseys for next season I wouldn't mind at all.  I really do not think it is that big of a change and a lot of Devils fans are blowing this way out of proportion.  This is not like Buffalo switching over to the Buffaslug or Islanders to the Fisherman, it is just a couple strips widening, a couple strips being removed, a very slight collar change and the shoulder yoke shortened a couple of inches.  The Devils could have went in a much more drastic direction and I am thankful that they didn't.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I would actually answer downgraded and yes for your questions.  The thing is that if they kept the jerseys for next season I wouldn't mind at all.  I really do not think it is that big of a change and a lot of Devils fans are blowing this way out of proportion.  This is not like Buffalo switching over to the Buffaslug or Islanders to the Fisherman, it is just a couple strips widening, a couple strips being removed, a very slight collar change and the shoulder yoke shortened a couple of inches.  The Devils could have went in a much more drastic direction and I am thankful that they didn't.

The bolded:  except to a lot of fans, these changes ARE a big deal, especially since not one of them (in those fans' eyes) represent a positive evolution of the older design...even if some of the changes seem "minor" by description.  They're not all reacting strongly simply for the sake of reacting strongly, or being unfair.  If the best thing that can be said about the new jersey almost amounts to "Well, it could've been even worse!", that's not much of an endorsement.  I do think a good chunk of the fans could live with a modified version of the new design and might even come to embrace it (assuming that they can't get ever the old design back 100% intact)...but probably not in its current form.   

 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The bolded:  except to a lot of fans, these changes ARE a big deal, especially since not one of them (in those fans' eyes) represent a positive evolution of the older design...even if some of the changes seem "minor" by description.  They're not all reacting strongly simply for the sake of reacting strongly, or being unfair.  If the best thing that can be said about the new jersey almost amounts to "Well, it could've been even worse!", that's not much of an endorsement.  I do think a good chunk of the fans could live with a modified version of the new design and might even come of embrace it, if they can't get the old design back 100% intact...but probably not in its current form.   

 

I disagree and think a good chunk of them are.

While yes I am not putting in a ringing endorsement of them, I am waiting to see how they look on the ice.  Most of the initial outrage came from the poor digital mockup that Adidas released.  Once the first actual photo of the jersey came out on the mannequin, a decent chunk of the outrage subsided.  Then when pictures of the aways came out, even more of the outrage subsided further.  I really do think these will look better on the players with equipment on the ice, so I am at least giving it a chance which is a lot more than what a lot of Devils fans are doing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I disagree and think a good chunk of them are.

While yes I am not putting in a ringing endorsement of them, I am waiting to see how they look on the ice.  Most of the initial outrage came from the poor digital mockup that Adidas released.  Once the first actual photo of the jersey came out on the mannequin, a decent chunk of the outrage subsided.  Then when pictures of the aways came out, even more of the outrage subsided further.  I really do think these will look better on the players with equipment on the ice, so I am at least giving it a chance which is a lot more than what a lot of Devils fans are doing.

The aways came out? I'll have to look that up. I assume its the same idea

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DevsMan84 said:

I disagree and think a good chunk of them are.

While yes I am not putting in a ringing endorsement of them, I am waiting to see how they look on the ice.  Most of the initial outrage came from the poor digital mockup that Adidas released.  Once the first actual photo of the jersey came out on the mannequin, a decent chunk of the outrage subsided.  Then when pictures of the aways came out, even more of the outrage subsided further.  I really do think these will look better on the players with equipment on the ice, so I am at least giving it a chance which is a lot more than what a lot of Devils fans are doing.

I do think they will look better on the ice than on fans and in digital mockups (I said this in an earlier post...the oversized white stripes will be de-emphasized through normal wrinkling during play)...it definitely didn't look terribly good on Hischier (I was hoping that might sway my opinion) as preview to how it will look on fans, which was kind of disappointing...I wanted to be swayed. 

Aways were better, though still not great...as far as the homes go, do away with the truncated shoulders (ditto away) and swap the white and black stripe pattern, I could probably live with both jerseys...wouldn't like them as much as the previous, but I wouldn't be as "WTF?!" about them for sure. 

4 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

The aways came out? I'll have to look that up. I assume its the same idea

On a scale of 1 to 10, I give the homes a 3, and the aways a 6.  Not having those oversized white stripes helps the template a lot. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I do think they will look better on the ice than on fans and in digital mockups (I said this in an earlier post...the oversized white stripes will be de-emphasized through normal wrinkling during play)...it definitely didn't look terribly good on Hischier (I was hoping that might sway my opinion) as preview to how it will look on fans, which was kind of disappointing...I wanted to be swayed. 

Aways were better, though still not great...as far as the homes go, do away with the truncated shoulders (ditto away) and swap the white and black stripe pattern, I could probably live with both jerseys...wouldn't like them as much as the previous, but I wouldn't be as "WTF?!" about them for sure. 

On a scale of 1 to 10, I give the homes a 3, and the aways a 6.  Not having those oversized white stripes helps the template a lot. 

That's fair and overall your reaction is more reasonable than a lot of fans have been who have hated it since the beginning.  I don't have expectations for universal love and understand why a majority of fans hate it, but the reactions are just way over the top.

The aways do look more sharp than the home ones.  What's funny is that for CCM's I always thought the whites look better than the reds.  On the Reebok's, the reds looked better than the whites.  Now it has flip flopped back again for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

That's fair and overall your reaction is more reasonable than a lot of fans have been who have hated it since the beginning.  I don't have expectations for universal love and understand why a majority of fans hate it, but the reactions are just way over the top.

The aways do look more sharp than the home ones.  What's funny is that for CCM's I always thought the whites look better than the reds.  On the Reebok's, the reds looked better than the whites.  Now it has flip flopped back again for me.

I think I probably agree with you, though I have more red in my collection than white regardless of manufacturer. But I really started collecting when the Edges were already out and the reds already looked so good, so that could have carried over to my older stuff as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.