The Devils Uniforms

20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That actually hurts to look at...a bit like those throwback Steeler jerseys, only the Canadiens' version manages to be even WORSE.

Just bought one white authentic and one red authentic Reebok...will probably get them both personalized to Hischier once his number is announced (the red one for sure), and then I'm out of the jersey business for a while...I may never have bought the Reeboks if not for the Adidas redesign.  As far as Devils jerseys go, I've got a rookie #29 white Brodeur, red Y2K Daneyko, red preseason game-worn #28 Kevin Dean (I've had it for several years now courtesy of DM84, but have never worn it), white Gilmour (this one isn't in the best shape unfortunately), white #16 Verbeek (this one's from the mid-80s), and a white #33 game-issued Auvitu (for the McMullen game...just got this one along with the Verbeek...always wanted one of those McMullen night jerseys, and Auvitu was simply the most affordable).  Along with the Rockies and Scouts jerseys that I have, I can get by without ever having to buy any of the Adidas jerseys.     

I have a red #22 Lemieux with the 95 Cup Final patch on it. CCM of course. After a lot of years the jersey still looks amazing and that's after loaning it out to my brother in law for pick up adult league games and such. It's amazing how durable the CCM's are. It's not absolutely pristine but nobody would guess 20+ years. And the design of it just looks so much better than the Adidas. It looks complete. No large empty spots, no weird collars or Newark Beardogs (who are they again?) single stripe "tributes". Also, the stitching held up very well.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jesus. H. Christ. Some of you guys are hysterical. Like, beyond hysterical. I'm not a huge fan of the new uniforms, I'm really not. But holy crap some of you are acting like they slapped your sis

YOU SHUT YOUR GOD DAMN WHORE MOUTH LEAVE MY BANNERS ALONE SO HELP ME GOD *cough* I mean, uh, no I doubt they'll do that, doesn't seem to make much sense right?

Dallas doesn't have red on them though, the red and green together look awful to me. Seeing them a few times a year is fine but I never want them back full time.  

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, '7' said:

I wouldn't mind if green made a permanent return once we ditch these cheap knockoffs, but I don't think it will happen. I think we'll just have the green 3rd jersey

From your post to Shero's ears!

41 minutes ago, '7' said:

I have a red #22 Lemieux with the 95 Cup Final patch on it. CCM of course. After a lot of years the jersey still looks amazing and that's after loaning it out to my brother in law for pick up adult league games and such. It's amazing how durable the CCM's are. It's not absolutely pristine but nobody would guess 20+ years. And the design of it just looks so much better than the Adidas. It looks complete. No large empty spots, no weird collars or Newark Beardogs (who are they again?) single stripe "tributes". Also, the stitching held up very well.

Yeah, my Y2K Daneyko has held up beautifully, 17 years later.  The Gilmour not being in the best of shape is my fault, really.  All of my other jerseys are pretty much pristine.  Since I always wear a shirt underneath them, and only wear them for 4-5 hours at a clip, they don't get washed with every wear...more like every 3rd or 4th wear.  That's definitely helped.   

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I always thought those were the best out of the Hab's centennial series of jerseys they wore that year (either 08-09 or 09-10 I believe).  Other ones were either plain or not a whole lot different than what they wore.

Toronto wore their St. Pat's jerseys last year that were really nice.  Ottawa Senators throwbacks (especially the whites) are really nice too.

One of my favorite one-off jerseys from recent memory for me are the Red Wings Centennial Classic from this past season.  It's minimalist and beautiful at the same time and the shade of white they chose is probably the whitest color I have ever seen on a jersey.

Those were the best? That's like being the friendliest cannibal serial killer on death row!

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, my Y2K Daneyko has held up beautifully, 17 years later.  The Gilmour not being in the best of shape is my fault, really.  All of my other jerseys are pretty much pristine.  Since I always wear a shirt underneath them, and only wear them for 4-5 hours at a clip, they don't get washed with every wear...more like every 3rd or 4th wear.  That's definitely helped.   

There's no question the older ones wear better. 

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Ugh... I give it another season until you start to see this sh!t: http://www.tsn.ca/ads-on-nhl-jerseys-fine-says-mlse-boss-1.504460 EDIT: didn't realize this article is from a year ago, but the point stands.

I mean, not to be a debbie downer but the Sixers were the first team to adopt uniform ads in the NBA...

4 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

If you thought those were bad, be worried that if there is ever a Seattle team that they might dust off an old Metropolitans jersey from the 1910's:

1263_6051_large.gif

Also if you like older style jerseys, there is a company called Ebbets Field Flannels that reproduces old style jerseys (usually 60+ years ago) and sells them made to order.  They try to use original materials as much as possible or get as close as they can.  That's why their jerseys are largely wool and made to order (thus pricey).  That's where I got the above picture from.  They largely do baseball, but do some hockey too:

http://www.ebbets.com/category/HockeySweaters

That's Ho-Ho-Rendous.  Looks like an ugly Christmas sweater that actually has a chance of winning the bottle of egg nog (first prize) at a cheesy office holiday party.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

It's really only a matter of when it happens at this point. 

Yup agree.  I highly doubt it will reach the levels of some of the European leagues where the players look like they could race for NASCAR in their jerseys, but one or two patches is eventually coming.  I give it 5 years or less.

33 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

It's really only a matter of when it happens at this point. 

Don't want to get too far ahead of myself here, but if this does happen, the spot where the lower stripes were axed on the new Devils jersey will obviously be a perfect open spot to stick ads (though the area below the truncated shoulders would be better)...suffice it to say that I'm never buying a jersey with advertisements on them.  Bleech. 

26 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Don't want to get too far ahead of myself here, but if this does happen, the spot where the lower stripes were axed on the new Devils jersey will obviously be a perfect open spot to stick ads (though the area below the truncated shoulders would be better)...suffice it to say that I'm never buying a jersey with advertisements on them.  Bleech. 

I doubt they will put them on the replicas or even the authentics that they sell to the public.

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

I doubt they will put them on the replicas or even the authentics that they sell to the public.

Hallelujah and amen to that!

40 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Then they wouldn't be authentic! heh

But yea it's coming. I mean they have the virtual ads now. They're hunting for every tiny little inch to stick the ads. It wouldn't shock me though if they first tried to put ads on the players helmets since that area is not quite as sacred as jerseys.

I don't think it's right around the corner but I'd be shocked if there aren't ads on jerseys in 10-15 years. And if Harris/Blitzer still own the Devils at that time we'll be the ones leading the way.

42 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Just now, '7' said:

Then they wouldn't be authentic! heh

While some collectors will spend their time tracking down a K-Y Jelly sponsor patch for their authentic jersey, I myself will not. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

While some collectors will spend their time tracking down a K-Y Jelly sponsor patch for their authentic jersey, I myself will not. 

It's going to be tough watching hockey in general with jersey ads. While it won't resemble the clownish euro leagues overnight, it is such a distraction and an eyesore.

Even the jerseys we have now. I just can't stop staring at the big empty space under the logo where stripes should be. It's designed specifically in a way to lead the eye right into that big empty space and I just can't understand why

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1

If they did it small, it wouldn't be so annoying. 

Of course, if they did it small, it would be a sh!tty advertisement as well. 

Placement aside, is the Celtics GE ad too big or too small?

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/noQwNdMcsyVSc_KrcXSjEA--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjtzbT0xO3c9NzQ0O2g9NTIx/http://media.zenfs.com/en/homerun/feed_manager_auto_publish_494/b2c345be5f4fe98e6ed5bc4ecc2473e0

I'm saying too big. And in a terrible location. At least for hockey. 

Of course, I also hate the arena naming trend; Brendan Byrne Arena had a lot more meaning than the Continental Airlines Arena or Prudential Center, in my opinion. But such is the way of the world. 

Edited by mfitz804
31 minutes ago, '7' said:

It's going to be tough watching hockey in general with jersey ads. While it won't resemble the clownish euro leagues overnight, it is such a distraction and an eyesore.

Even the jerseys we have now. I just can't stop staring at the big empty space under the logo where stripes should be. It's designed specifically in a way to lead the eye right into that big empty space and I just can't understand why

It will be more along the lines of the SAP patch they had on the WCOH jerseys.  You will be hard pressed to find anyone who found those distracting.

59 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If they did it small, it wouldn't be so annoying. 

Of course, if they did it small, it would be a sh!tty advertisement as well. 

Placement aside, is the Celtics GE ad too big or too small?

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/noQwNdMcsyVSc_KrcXSjEA--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjtzbT0xO3c9NzQ0O2g9NTIx/http://media.zenfs.com/en/homerun/feed_manager_auto_publish_494/b2c345be5f4fe98e6ed5bc4ecc2473e0

I'm saying too big. And in a terrible location. At least for hockey. 

Of course, I also hate the arena naming trend; Brendan Byrne Arena had a lot more meaning than the Continental Airlines Arena or Prudential Center, in my opinion. But such is the way of the world. 

Most arenas/stadiums built over the last 20 years are basically taxpayer/corporate funded malls that happen to have a sports team play there.  Having a corporate sponsor have the naming rights is only fitting at this point.

Yankee Stadium is an example where the name can't hide that it is basically a baseball themed Disneyland.

48 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

It will be more along the lines of the SAP patch they had on the WCOH jerseys.  You will be hard pressed to find anyone who found those distracting.

Those weren't great but you're right, easily ignored. Which begs the question, are they getting effective advertising for what they paid?

17 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Most arenas/stadiums built over the last 20 years are basically taxpayer/corporate funded malls that happen to have a sports team play there.  Having a corporate sponsor have the naming rights is only fitting at this point.

Yankee Stadium is an example where the name can't hide that it is basically a baseball themed Disneyland.

I wish someone, somewhere would be funny about it, because Vagisil Stadium would be epic. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Those weren't great but you're right, easily ignored. Which begs the question, are they getting effective advertising for what they paid?

I wish someone, somewhere would be funny about it, because Vagisil Stadium would be epic. 

I guess on close-up shots between plays would be where they get their money's worth.

Would a larger painted advertisement work better on players helmets be more effective for the advertisers?  I think it might and would spare the jerseys from getting the patch.

23 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Just a funny story about Yankee Stadium and naming rights.  I was told by someone in the know that back when it opened, Emirates Airlines offered a ridiculous amount of money for the naming rights, enough money that the proposal had to be taken to the Yankees board.  Good thing there's something called the business judgment rule, because from a pure dollars and cents view, you would have had to accept it.  

I actually wish Yankee Stadium was more interesting than it is.  One of the reasons that I don't go to Yankee games anymore.  

8 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

If you thought those were bad, be worried that if there is ever a Seattle team that they might dust off an old Metropolitans jersey from the 1910's:

1263_6051_large.gif

Also if you like older style jerseys, there is a company called Ebbets Field Flannels that reproduces old style jerseys (usually 60+ years ago) and sells them made to order.  They try to use original materials as much as possible or get as close as they can.  That's why their jerseys are largely wool and made to order (thus pricey).  That's where I got the above picture from.  They largely do baseball, but do some hockey too:

http://www.ebbets.com/category/HockeySweaters

Here's the thing. I don't hate these. And one of my biggest prOblems with NHL jerseys as a whole is the somewhat lack of diversity across the league in the overall designs. Sure, some have a little different piping, shoulder yokes, whatever, but you never see teams with, just for example, stripes, or the multiple thin stripe around the waist (like the Newark Bulldogs jersey our black border is supposedly a tribute to), or the diagonal cuts to the design the old  Mighty Ducks jerseys used, the list goes on. I just think there's too much standardization. You definitely get more variety in junior hockey. Not that they're all good, but I'd rather have bad jerseys mixed in than jerseys all looking so similar

23 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Just a funny story about Yankee Stadium and naming rights.  I was told by someone in the know that back when it opened, Emirates Airlines offered a ridiculous amount of money for the naming rights, enough money that the proposal had to be taken to the Yankees board.  Good thing there's something called the business judgment rule, because from a pure dollars and cents view, you would have had to accept it.  

I actually wish Yankee Stadium was more interesting than it is.  One of the reasons that I don't go to Yankee games anymore.  

I wonder if they kicked around ideas like "Emirates Field at Yankee Stadium"

It's a nice stadium really. I think it's a solid continuation of the Yankees legacy. What would you have personally done to make it more interesting? I know for Citi I would've scrapped the old Ebbets Ballpark stuff. That's never what the Mets have been about. The Yankees I think did the best they could in trying to tow the line between new and throwback. At least sitting their the layout of the stands looks Yankee Stadium-ish

6 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

Here's the thing. I don't hate these. And one of my biggest prOblems with NHL jerseys as a whole is the somewhat lack of diversity across the league in the overall designs. Sure, some have a little different piping, shoulder yokes, whatever, but you never see teams with, just for example, stripes, or the multiple thin stripe around the waist (like the Newark Bulldogs jersey our black border is supposedly a tribute to), or the diagonal cuts to the design the old  Mighty Ducks jerseys used, the list goes on. I just think there's too much standardization. You definitely get more variety in junior hockey. Not that they're all good, but I'd rather have bad jerseys mixed in than jerseys all looking so similar

I agree with this.  That's why I don't mind barberpole or other somewhat out there jerseys just as long as it doesn't look too stupid or ripped directly from another sport (thrashers football style third and Buffalo motocross style third).  You also don't want to be too out there like some of the stuff in ECHL level leagues (Rocky themed jerseys, Ronald McDonald themed jerseys, etc).

If I recall right, I think the Nordiques were the last time to have a primary jersey design that featured something other than a type of striping or lettering (kings previous jerseys) for the bottom hem of their jersey.