The Devils Uniforms

Since1982-83

4 hours ago, Toasterleavins said:

Looks completely fine, and once we see them on the players on the ice, I think they will look even better.

Still liked the old jersey better, but this isn't that big a deal to me.

I'm just missing that bottom stripe of the jersey, and the shoulders feel off...

Won't buy one, but they're not terrible

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Chuck the Duck said:

IMO they still looking f'ing terrible.  The only reason why that picture of Hall makes the New Jersey seem ok is because he is bending over and you can't see the bottom 1/2 of the jersey.

There is another pic from the same shoot that has him standing up and the jersey looks horrible

12 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Well in the first game with them in action I think they look just as bad. Not having the waist band just looks pointless and the arm bands really look like floaties. Meh. 

I agree.  As much as I dislike them, I was hoping they would look better on the players in full uniform but they really don't.  The shoulder yokes didn't bother me at all.  But the lack of hem striping and the larger stripes on the arms and socks just makes it look awkward.

• Like 2

They look even worse on ice.  Can't believe those are the rags I get to see my team wear for God knows how long.  Just fvcking awful.  

• Like 2

It looked horrible. The floaty arm stripes make no sense. There is no stripes at the bottom and that empty white bottom part just seems to flap around a lot on the ice like some sort of large apron. Also they messed with the should blacks. They narrowed them.

They are cheap practice jerseys. Why cant we just use these as practice jerseys and play in our real jerseys?

• Like 2

From '7' in the offseason thread (replying to it here):

There is no way any research went into this. if they truly researched and explored and put real thought into this then nothing would change. This looks to have been a very very secretive process done behind closed doors by somebody who is very stubborn and divorced from reality. It just feels like Hugh Weber was the main person driving this.

I don't think they even allowed anybody into the room who would shrug and say let's stick with the old/nicer jersey.

Sadly '7', I do think they researched this, but though faulty research simply came up with the wrong conclusions.

I think some of the individuals involved with researching and brainstorming were watching the home crowds attending Devils games and saw some fans (in the grand scheme, a VERY small amount) wearing Rockies and Scouts gear, and assumed that there was much more interest in the franchise's prior iterations than there really is.

If they had done some other kinds of research (polls and questionnaires), they would have found:

1) Most Devils fans currently don't know much about the Rockies or Scouts, if they're even aware of them at all.

2) Most Devils fans don't CARE to know much about the Rockies or Scouts, and never will.  Those teams existed for a total of eight seasons back from 1974-1982, and were awful for all of them (even with a 1978 playoff appearance).  Whatever relevance they might have had is pretty much non-existent now, and the Devils don't even count any of Scouts or Rockies statistics in with their own.  The Scouts and Rockies are little more than just a random curiosity for a very select group of fans that eats up hockey history...the same ones that check out Seals/Golden Seals and Cleveland Barons stuff.  It's way too small of a group to ever consider catering to. 

3) Those who actually do take an active interest in the Rockies and Scouts (like me) didn't necessarily want to see aspects of those jerseys make their way into the jersey redesign.  I'm guessing 80% of the fans who saw the jersey breakdown graphic had to look up what Scouts and Rockies jerseys looked like to even have an idea as to what inspired the nods...and of course, I'm sure that 99% asked, "The Newark WHO?!"

4) If Devils fans had any interest in any prior jersey's design specs making it into a redesign, they would've liked to have possibly seen some nods to the red and greens (perhaps some green thrown into the color mix, or a shoulder yoke pattern similar to the Xmas classics, etc), but that's where it would end.  At least that design actually means something to a nice chuck of fans, especially now that they're once again highly visible due to Retro Nights.  Of course, the one "bone" the designer(s) actually throw us from that era is in an area that can't even be seen...so basically THREE eras of hockey history that mean next to nothing to the majority of the fanbase were given priority over the ONE era that actually had something meaningful to do with the New Jersey Devils.   

5) If given a choice, most Devils fans would've preferred that the red and black design simply remained 100% intact, with no changes at all.

So this is a way of saying if they had conducted PROPER research and gotten a much better feel for what the fanbase really wanted, then we would've gotten either a largely intact, basically untouched "new" jersey, or a hybrid redesign that would've combined elements from the red and greens with the red and blacks.  Either would've gone over much better than the pajama floaties...there's no disputing that. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

I think the McMullen Night patches might have skewed their thinking.  Everyone raved about that patch and with the Devils basically making it near impossible to get unless you get a game worn or game issued (or using a ton of points as a STH), there was no way to get one.  Since it had heavy Rockies influence in there they might have assumed that anything Rockies = good.

The increase of Rockies interest has gone up in the last 7-8 years.  I used to wear my Rockies jersey to the game and usually I was the only one with one on.  Sometimes there would maybe be one or at best two other people and that's it.  Most had no clue who the team was and would stop me and ask who they were.  They would often be blown away that the Devils were not some expansion team in 82 but moved to NJ.

Now, these days, I see about 5-10 people per game wearing a Rockies or even Scouts jersey.  Not a huge increase but still an increase lol.

I actually firmly believe the new uniforms were meant to be red and green instead of the black, and when that rumor got out there the team pulled back the reigns a little bit because of the blow back. I think the design actually makes way more sense in green, which is why in black it feels kinda incomplete, but ownership likely got cold feet on the switch to green which I 100% think was on the table from the get go.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I think the McMullen Night patches might have skewed their thinking.  Everyone raved about that patch and with the Devils basically making it near impossible to get unless you get a game worn or game issued (or using a ton of points as a STH), there was no way to get one.  Since it had heavy Rockies influence in there they might have assumed that anything Rockies = good.

The increase of Rockies interest has gone up in the last 7-8 years.  I used to wear my Rockies jersey to the game and usually I was the only one with one on.  Sometimes there would maybe be one or at best two other people and that's it.  Most had no clue who the team was and would stop me and ask who they were.  They would often be blown away that the Devils were not some expansion team in 82 but moved to NJ.

Now, these days, I see about 5-10 people per game wearing a Rockies or even Scouts jersey.  Not a huge increase but still an increase lol.

It has, but you like you said, it's a very tiny bit...I think M&N versions (the Paiement and Ramage jerseys) started to get the ball rolling, then CCM released more affordable versions, and it kind of went from there...but it's been a very slow growth.  Even now I still get asked by some people what jersey am I wearing when I break out my Scouts or Rockies jerseys.  More than once someone has yelled "Rangers suck" if they see me from a distance wearing a blue Rockies jersey.  One time a guy saw my white Scouts jersey from behind at a Devils-Panthers game (back in the CAA) and kept calling me out for liking the Panthers (?!).  Finally I just said, "Dude, WTF, look at this...this is a KC Scouts jersey...where do you see a panther anywhere?"   

Didn't really think about the McMullen patch being an influence...yeah, may have factored in a little, but I still think the primary catalyst was fans wearing Scouts and Rockies stuff to games.  Even though the number of fans wearing them is minimal (maybe 10-15 max any given night), the blue jerseys do stand out among the reds.

So, the jerseys that everyone hates have sold out on NHL.com in all but the smallest sizes within a couple of hours (the blank ones, anyway. Pre-customized Hall and choose your own player still available). 

I suppose we don't know how many they had, maybe it was like 10 total. But that seems unlikely. 

Edited by mfitz804