2017 Miami Dolphins thread

MadDog2020

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

re:  Tannehill...guy isn't an all-time great or anything, but was definitely a solid QB and a guy you can absolutely be competitive with.  Cutler is a cancer who probably doesn't even want to play football anymore.  Miami will be so much better off when he is permanently out of the picture. 

It doesn't seem like Cutler's a lockerroom cancer.  From what you can tell, the rest of the team likes him for the most part.  He's just what we thought he was.  Inconsistent and now older.  Was worth a shot seeing if he could catch fire for one last year.

With Tannehill, we'll see how good the knee is when he gets back, but he's still young enough where he might continue to steadily improve until he's a regular playoff caliber QB.

20 minutes ago, Daniel said:

It doesn't seem like Cutler's a lockerroom cancer.  From what you can tell, the rest of the team likes him for the most part.  He's just what we thought he was.  Inconsistent and now older.  Was worth a shot seeing if he could catch fire for one last year.

With Tannehill, we'll see how good the knee is when he gets back, but he's still young enough where he might continue to steadily improve until he's a regular playoff caliber QB.

I agree in that I don't necessarily see him as a lockerroom killer...but his on-the-field play and general indifference has a way of deflating his teams.  Some QBs are leaders.  He just isn't.  But it was definitely slim pickens out there for a QB. 

So to recap another lovely weekend in Dolphins Land: the starting MLB was arrested and summarily cut for assaulting an employee at a night club over an unpaid $40 tab. The team committed a franchise record 17 penalties, to go along with a mind-numbing five turnovers. And they made Ryan Fitzpatrick look like John Elway, Aaron Rodgers, and Johnny Unitas all rolled into one, on the way to a 30-20 loss to the pathetic Bucs. At home. The Pats are opening up as a 17 (17!!!!!!) point favorite for next week, and that line should be around 20 by the time next Sunday rolls around. I see absolutely no good reason to even get on the plane and give them the satisfaction of humiliating us. Just forfeit and save myself and every other Dolphins fan the time, aggravation, embarrassment, and heartache that we are inevitably slated to endure next weekend. T-minus five months til the draft. Sigh. [emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

So to recap another lovely weekend in Dolphins Land: the starting MLB was arrested and summarily cut for assaulting an employee at a night club over an unpaid $40 tab. The team committed a franchise high 17 penalties, to go along with a mind-numbing five turnovers. And they made Ryan Fitzpatrick look like John Elway, Aaron Rodgers, and Johnny Unitas all rolled into one, on the way to a 30-20 loss to the pathetic Bucs. At home. The Pats are opening up as a 17 (17!!!!!!) point favorite for next week, and that line should be around 20 by the time next Sunday rolls around. I see absolutely no good reason to even get on the plane and give them the satisfaction of humiliating us. Just forfeit and save myself and every other Dolphins fan the time, aggravation, embarrassment, and heartache that we are inevitably slated to endure next weekend. T-minus five months til the draft. Sigh. emoji20.png

So if we're in a position to draft Darnold or Rosen, do you do it?  Or, would you make a reasonable trade to get one of them, either from San Fran, or perhaps a team that either of them says they will refuse to sign with?  How bad things are going right now, it looks like we should be comfortably within the top ten.

Only other thing I'm wondering is if we try and trade for Luck if the Colts are stupid enough to trade him if they're picking 1 or 2. 

So if we're in a position to draft Darnold or Rosen, do you do it?  Or, would you make a reasonable trade to get one of them, either from San Fran, or perhaps a team that either of them says they will refuse to sign with?  How bad things are going right now, it looks like we should be comfortably within the top ten.

Only other thing I'm wondering is if we try and trade for Luck if the Colts are stupid enough to trade him if they're picking 1 or 2. 

I would absolutely draft one of those QB's if we had the chance to, and yeah I'd make a reasonable trade to move up for one of them (operative word being 'reasonable') if a deal was there to be made. I'd trade multiple 1's for Luck, but that's never gonna happen because the Colts, as dumb and dysfunctional as they are, would never trade Luck in the conference. Now, reality: none of this will happen. Gase loves Tannehill. The cracked front office staff loves Tannehill. Barring Tannehill's knee exploding again between now and the draft, there's no way this group will draft a first round QB. So we'll just have to see if a 30-year old when the 2018 season starts Tannehill, who will be two years removed from his last start, can pick up where he left off. I'm cool with going back to Tannehill, but I WOULD really like to take a QB high, ideally in the first two rounds, because we have no idea if Tannehill will actually pick up where he left off, or will ever be as good as he was pre-injury. But lmfao, this is the Dolphins, so you can forget about doing anything that actually makes any sense.

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I would absolutely draft one of those QB's if we had the chance to, and yeah I'd make a reasonable trade to move up for one of them (operative word being 'reasonable') if a deal was there to be made. I'd trade multiple 1's for Luck, but that's never gonna happen because the Colts, as dumb and dysfunctional as they are, would never trade Luck in the conference. Now, reality: none of this will happen. Gase loves Tannehill. The cracked front office staff loves Tannehill. Barring Tannehill's knee exploding again between now and the draft, there's no way this group will draft a first round QB. So we'll just have to see if a 30-year old when the 2018 season starts Tannehill, who will be two years removed from his last start, can pick up where he left off. I'm cool with going back to Tannehill, but I WOULD really like to take a QB high, ideally in the first two rounds, because we have no idea if Tannehill will actually pick up where he left off, or will ever be as good as he was pre-injury. But lmfao, this is the Dolphins, so you can forget doing anything that actually makes any sense.

Tannehill is the ultimate Godfather III "everytime I think I'm out, they pull me back in" NFL QB. 

But yeah, I'd be willing to trust Gase.  It's been a difficult season, but it really seems like we've got a good head coach in him.  For what it's worth, my friend who does play by play for CBS says that he's still very respected around the league.  (And not that it matters as much, but broadcasters really like him too). 

• Like 1

Tannehill is the ultimate Godfather III "everytime I think I'm out, they pull me back in" NFL QB.  But yeah, I'd be willing to trust Gase.  It's been a difficult season, but it really seems like we've got a good head coach in him.  For what it's worth, my friend who does play by play for CBS says that he's still very respected around the league.  (And not that it matters as much, but broadcasters really like him too). 

I like Gase too, but his team has been very undisciplined at times this year, no more so than yesterday- that's on him and his staff. I'm willing to give him a mulligan for this season for a myriad of things that happened that were out of his control, but he needs to do much better next year, or the seat may start to heat up. Finheaven is a wasteland today, the amount of Gase hate is absurd- but that's par for the course for that fvcking loony bin lol.

I like Gase too, but his team has been very undisciplined at times this year, no more so than yesterday- that's on him and his staff. I'm willing to give him a mulligan for this season for a myriad of things that happened that were out of his control, but he needs to do much better next year, or the seat may start to heat up. Finheaven is a wasteland today, the amount of Gase hate is absurd- but that's par for the course for that fvcking loony bin lol.

Finheaven makes this place look like calm and cultured debate regarding the the merits of Spinoza versus David Hume.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Apparently Gase did an onside kick in the fourth quarter up 20+ to further stick it to Elway for not supporting him trying to find a job the offseason they got to the SB then dismissing him the next year. Good for Gase default_tongue.png

He did. I fvcking loved it lol.

• Like 1

It was fun to watch Miami be the better team for the first time in a while.

Going to take both sides of the season's coin on this one:

Positive - Here's something that tells you about the state of the AFC - despite being 2 games under .500, Miami is 4-4 in conference play, with 3 of 4 winnable games coming up (Buf x 2, KC).  It's in the realm of Jim Carrey saying "So you're saying there's a chance!", but Miami's playoff hopes are not dead yet, not even if they lose to New England.  Winning the next four and having Tennessee lose 3 of their next four (@ARI, @SF, vs Rams, vs Jags) has Miami in as the 6 seed, and they can further help their cause by rooting for Oakland to win the West as Miami would have the tiebreakers on both San Diego and Kansas City. I'd consider making the 6 seed after this trainwreck of a season would qualify as a minor miracle.

Negative/Future - Miami currently has the 11th draft pick, and you can still find good players at that spot.  You may not get the top-flight QB, but you can definitely fill a need with a defensive anchor for years to come.

• Like 1

As MD already knows, I went to this game last night. 

First things first:  the building...in two words, holy sh!t!  Pictures don't do it justice...what happened to the aging dump that I went to in 2014?  Both me and my friend (a Giants fan) were completely blown away.  The Hard Rock Stadium is absolutely beautiful, inside and out.  

As for the game...nights like last night remind me why I'm not a big Puppetricia fan...Jay Cutler and one of the worst offenses this season was too much for his defense.  Guys open all over the place.  Dolphins clearly showed up and wanted it more...don't know if the Pats got caught looking ahead, but it does go to show that in today's NFL, anyone can beat anyone.  

Credit to the Dolphins fans...there were a TON of Pats fans there (always are), but the Dolphin faithful were much louder than their numbers.  

• Like 1

As MD already knows, I went to this game last night.  First things first:  the building...in two words, holy sh!t!  Pictures don't do it justice...what happened to the aging dump that I went to in 2014?  Both me and my friend (a Giants fan) were completely blown away.  The Hard Rock Stadium is absolutely beautiful, inside and out.  

As for the game...nights like last night remind me why I'm not a big Puppetricia fan...Jay Cutler and one of the worst offenses this season was too much for his defense.  Guys open all over the place.  Dolphins clearly showed up and wanted it more...don't know if the Pats got caught looking ahead, but it does go to show that in today's NFL, anyone can beat anyone.  

Credit to the Dolphins fans...there were a TON of Pats fans there (always are), but the Dolphin faithful were much louder than their numbers.  

I hope you and all the Pats fans enjoyed that. [emoji14]

And yes, the stadium is something else. Happy to say it gives us a REAL home field advantage.

• Like 1

Playoffs or not, if Miami finishes this season 2-1 in their last 3 (2 vs. Bills and @ KC) I'll be happy with the guts and effort the team shows.  They'd do themselves a great playoff favor by winning the last 3 games (could knock KC out with a win, would definitely kill Buffalo with 2 wins vs. them) but I think there's too many tiebreakers working against them right now.

• Like 1

I had a feeling the Pats weren't going to play well yesterday...and Brady's had some clunkers down there.  Highlight for me was the building.  Hands down the best renovation I've ever seen.  I never could've imagined such a thing in 2014.  Looks pretty amazing at night too.  

• Like 1

I had a feeling the Pats weren't going to play well yesterday...and Brady's had some clunkers down there.  Highlight for me was the building.  Hands down the best renovation I've ever seen.  I never could've imagined such a thing in 2014.  Looks pretty amazing at night too.  

Brady is 7-9 against the Dolphins in Miami in his career. Also, last night was the first time the Pats didn't convert a single 3rd down in a game since 1991. I'm damn proud of my defense this morning.

Brady is 7-9 against the Dolphins in Miami in his career. Also, last night was the first time the Pats didn't convert a single 3rd down in a game since 1991. I'm damn proud of my defense this morning.

MD, what's your take on Cutler for next season? What is he, 6-5 this year? Still only 34 years old. He had a tough start, but you would agree it was going to take him some time to get acclimated with the offense. Thoughts?

MD, what's your take on Cutler for next season? What is he, 6-5 this year? Still only 34 years old. He had a tough start, but you would agree it was going to take him some time to get acclimated with the offense. Thoughts?

Oh it's 110% full-on back to Tannehill next year, no question about it. Cutler had a nice game last night, but overall, he's been average at best, absolutely terrible at worst. I have no interest in bring in him back next season unless he decides he wants to transition into the role of veteran backup, because I think Matt Moore is all but finished here after this season.

44 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Oh it's 110% full-on back to Tannehill next year, no question about it. Cutler had a nice game last night, but overall, he's been average at best, absolutely terrible at worst. I have no interest in bring in him back next season unless he decides he wants to transition into the role of veteran backup, because I think Matt Moore is all but finished here after this season.

Same.  I think there's actually a good chance the Dolphins draft a QB in the first round this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

I wouldn't be against that at all. I absolutely think we should draft a QB at some point in the first three rounds this year.

So long as we don't reach in the middle of Round 1 for a QB who's clearly not a good idea (ex. Christian Ponder, Paxton Lynch) just for the extra year of control, I agree with this.  Miami's pick might be as high as 20 if they come close to the playoffs and miss.

EDIT: Ideally a good CB will fall to Miami Round 1 - WalterFootball is projecting Ken Webster, CB, Old Miss at their #13 draft position as of last week.

Edited by Hi, I'm VALUE!
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...