2017 Miami Dolphins thread

MadDog2020

You think they keep Landry or no? Heard SF brought up as a possible destination.

I think they will, the two sides have been talking recently (they recently exchanged proposals), and the team has told Landry they want him back. Hopefully a deal gets done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 1/2/2018 at 12:19 PM, MadDog2020 said:

I think they will, the two sides have been talking recently (they recently exchanged proposals), and the team has told Landry they want him back. Hopefully a deal gets done.

Wonder if Devante Parker ends up getting traded.  

Wonder if Devante Parker ends up getting traded.  

Parker is entering bust territory now, not even taking into consideration the fact he's made of glass. He'd fetch a 4, maybe a 3 tops based on his age and the 'maybe he needs a change of scenery' theory. Unless we make a significant upgrade at WR through the draft and/or FA (and WR isn't really a big need, given all the other holes this team has), I'd almost rather hold onto him and give him another shot with Tannehill to see if he can finally put it together. He's another guy who has freakish athletic talent, but just hasn't been able to get it all to click at the NFL level for a number of different reasons.

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Parker is entering bust territory now, not even taking into consideration the fact he's made of glass. He'd fetch a 4, maybe a 3 tops based on his age and the 'maybe he needs a change of scenery' theory. Unless we make a significant upgrade at WR through the draft and/or FA (and WR isn't really a big need, given all the other holes this team has), I'd almost rather hold onto him and give him another shot with Tannehill to see if he can finally put it together. He's another guy who has freakish athletic talent, but just hasn't been able to get it all to click at the NFL level for a number of different reasons.

Maybe trade him for another disappointing but might put it together player at a position of need, maybe guard or linebacker. 

Maybe trade him for another disappointing but might put it together player at a position of need, maybe guard or linebacker. 

Not a terrible thought, but I'd still rather draft that LB and/or that guard- especially LB, which I would be for addressing in the first round this year if a guy like Roquan Smith is on the board at 11.

27 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Things also may have changed on the Landry front: http://amp.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article192827284.html?__twitter_impression=true

Mando is kind of turning into the Larry Brooks of the Dolphins.  Lots of click bait, speculation made to sound like concrete information, and just incorrect information.  

For the past couple of weeks he was repeatedly saying the team considered Tannehill to have two injuries, then Gase at yesterday’s presser says they considered it the same ACL injury as seemed obvious to everyone.  Actually Mando tweeted out the two injury thing at the beginning of Gase’s presser, and then deleted it and is pretty much pretending like he never said anything about it.

I have no idea what the cap situation is, but the team should not lose Suh or Landry unless they have no other choice.  If Landry’s agent is smart, he’ll tell Ross that he’ll sign with the Pats if he doesn’t sign with Miami.  Ross will probably give him an ownership interest in the team and one of Ross’s skyscrapers in Hudson Yards.

Mando is kind of turning into the Larry Brooks of the Dolphins.  Lots of click bait, speculation made to sound like concrete information, and just incorrect information.  
For the past couple of weeks he was repeatedly saying the team considered Tannehill to have two injuries, then Gase at yesterday’s presser says they considered it the same ACL injury as seemed obvious to everyone.  Actually Mando tweeted out the two injury thing at the beginning of Gase’s presser, and then deleted it and is pretty much pretending like he never said anything about it.
I have no idea what the cap situation is, but the team should not lose Suh or Landry unless they have no other choice.  If Landry’s agent is smart, he’ll tell Ross that he’ll sign with the Pats if he doesn’t sign with Miami.  Ross will probably give him an ownership interest in the team and one of Ross’s skyscrapers in Hudson Yards.

Yeah Mando can get a bit dramatic sometimes, but he does have sources in the organization... He's not always correct, but I've always thought he's generally good with information. I'll take him over a dunce like Omar Kelly any day. Barry Jackson is the best though. If you need good Fins info, he's the guy.

14 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah Mando can get a bit dramatic sometimes, but he does have sources in the organization... He's not always correct, but I've always thought he's generally good with information. I'll take him over a dunce like Omar Kelly any day. Barry Jackson is the best though. If you need good Fins info, he's the guy.

I pretty much follow on Twitter every writer for the teams I follow, unless they get insufferable with politics.  Kelly is the only one I stopped following because I found his football commentary to be brutal.

So far as inside information goes, I get the sense that the NFL is a lot like the NHL in that it’s usually few guys at the national level - TSN, Sportsnet, ESPN, NFL Network — that have any inside information that’s worth anything.  

• Like 1

So something that hasn't really been discussed is the possibility of Ross's dream coming true and getting Jim Harbaugh to be head coach.  Very doubtful that it'll happen this offseason, but I think that would be the plan if Gase has another subpar seasonand Harbaugh hasn't committed to something by then.

Edited by Daniel

So something that hasn't really been discussed is the possibility of Ross's dream coming true and getting Jim Harbaugh to be head coach.  Very doubtful that it'll happen this offseason, but I think that would be the plan if Gase has another subpar seasonand Harbaugh hasn't committed to something by then.

If Gase has another subpar season next year and Harbaugh is looking to make an NFL return, Ross better move Heaven and Earth to make that happen. And this time, he better make sure there's actually a vacancy to fill first before doing anything.

That would be an incredible get...I think Harbaugh is absolutely destined to return to the NFL and the Dolphins would be a logical landing spot. I see Denver being in play too as I don't see Vance Joseph lasting long there.

1 hour ago, '7' said:

That would be an incredible get...I think Harbaugh is absolutely destined to return to the NFL and the Dolphins would be a logical landing spot. I see Denver being in play too as I don't see Vance Joseph lasting long there.

You know that Ross has always wanted him to be the coach and wouldn't hesitate to give him Gruden type money, I just don't know whether the Michigan connection would help or hurt at that point.

My guess is that Harbaugh would want the Indy job, but that depends on whether he leaves this year.  But if he stays at Michigan for another season, it's a decent bet that he is eyeing the Miami job in the event things crash and burn again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So Baker Mayfield and "#GetMeToMiami"

On the plus side, here's a guy who wants to play in Miami.  He's got at least NFL-caliber potential and he's a fiery player who clearly cares about winning football and his team.

On the minus side, he's a bit immature and I wonder if he wants Miami for the relaxation factor and not the football factor.

The Dolphins have basically said they'll take best player available at #11.

Thoughts on potentially drafting Mayfield at #11?  Will he fall that far?  Will Miami trade up for him?  

On 1/19/2018 at 9:37 AM, Hi, I'm VALUE! said:

So Baker Mayfield and "#GetMeToMiami"

On the plus side, here's a guy who wants to play in Miami.  He's got at least NFL-caliber potential and he's a fiery player who clearly cares about winning football and his team.

On the minus side, he's a bit immature and I wonder if he wants Miami for the relaxation factor and not the football factor.

The Dolphins have basically said they'll take best player available at #11.

Thoughts on potentially drafting Mayfield at #11?  Will he fall that far?  Will Miami trade up for him?  

He clarified on twitter that he used those terms in reference to Kenny Stills who's also an OU alumni. 

That said, I know nothing about evaluating football prospects, and can only go on what those draft experts say.  It sounds like though that he's not really a sure thing.  We've got a pretty good quarterback as is, and we're seeing that we might be past the age of needing a star quarterback to win. 

Edited by Daniel

• 1 month later...

I'm OK with this, so long as Landry is willing to play ball.  If he turns around and signs the tender immediately, Miami could be in a world of sh!t.  I could also easily see the whole Josh Norman situation playing out again, where Miami randomly revokes the tag when they need to.

In other roster news, Miami is reportedly looking to clean out a lot of veteran high-cap guys.  Lawrence Timmons and Julius Thomas are no-brainer cuts from a performance/pay perspective, but one of the "surprising" ones is that Miami may make Suh a post-June 1 cut.  There's sense on both sides of this one - Suh was one of the best DT's in the league last year yet again, but his cap hit (26.1 million) is the third highest in the league overall.  A post-June 1 cut opens up 17 million in cap space.  There's also rumors that they could cut JuWann James (9 million saved) and/or Ryan Tannehill (15 million saved), but I don't buy those rumors because there's no obvious replacement on the roster for either.  Unless they're going to be in some free agency sweepstakes that we don't know about, I'm thinking Tannehill is the QB next year (in what's probably a prove-it year) and James will be the RT. It may make sense to talk extension with James if they want to keep him long term, though - he's played well when healthy.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Maybe apology is too strong, but all of those people that blamed Incognito, Pouncey, John Jerry and the offensive line coach for creating a "culture of bullying" or whatever should go back and maybe amend whatever hot takes they had at the time.

An NFL team is not Widgets, Inc. and 99.999 percent of the players understood that at the time.  Now we know that it was Jonathan Martin's mental issues that made him unable to take things where every other player in the league seemed to be able to.  In fact, I imagine if we go back and look at everything in light of what we know now, we'll see that "bullying" had nothing to do with Martin's plight. 

His psychiatric issues obviously deserve sympathy.  But I don't think it prevented him at the time from saying his problems didn't have anything to do with his teammates.

• Like 2