2017 Miami Dolphins thread

MadDog2020

16 minutes ago, CarterforPresident said:

Rams trade Quinn to you guys. Good trade for the Rams. Needed the Cap space.  I don't see Quinn as elite anymore but he should fair well in Miami.

The thing is, Miami's already over the cap as well.  Unless they traded Landry for Quinn (couldn't find compensation as of now), I don't know how this fits.  

The thing is, Miami's already over the cap as well.  Unless they traded Landry for Quinn (couldn't find compensation as of now), I don't know how this fits.  

Landry is getting traded, so it doesn't really matter. It's a good move you make every day. We gave up nothing for a 27-year old former DPOY. No-brainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 3/3/2018 at 10:22 AM, MadDog2020 said:

Landry is getting traded, so it doesn't really matter. It's a good move you make every day. We gave up nothing for a 27-year old former DPOY. No-brainer.

I have absolutely no problem with the BPA trade, this is a great move for Miami as a team and will make their pass rush better if Quinn is healthy.  I'm just fascinated with cap-ology and wonder what they're going to do day 1 to make this fit.

I had a plan worked out in which Miami could shed enough salary to keep Tannehill (duh) and keep Suh at his current cap hit while signing significant free agents, so they can clear the room for it.  I had just used the room to sign people (Andrew Norwell and Trey Burton were the big adds) - this is a great move, but it probably takes Miami out of the running for one of those players.   

• Like 1

Is Richard Sherman someone we want anything to do with at this stage in his career?  I have no idea how the NFL salary cap works so I don't know our cap situation. 

Also, things are very quiet on the Landry trade front.  Why do I sense that we're going to lose this game of chicken and lose him for nothing a la Josh Norman.

EDIT: Actually, Landry just signed his franchise tender, so he's either playing for us next year, or he's going to be traded, I think....

Edited by Daniel

41 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Is Richard Sherman someone we want anything to do with at this stage in his career?  I have no idea how the NFL salary cap works so I don't know our cap situation. 

Also, things are very quiet on the Landry trade front.  Why do I sense that we're going to lose this game of chicken and lose him for nothing a la Josh Norman.

EDIT: Actually, Landry just signed his franchise tender, so he's either playing for us next year, or he's going to be traded, I think....

Miami's well-over the cap right now.  They have to be compliant with it by the first day of the new league year IIRC.  They do have two real dead-weight players (Timmons and Julius Thomas) that make up a lot of cap room, and if they choose to cut Suh and/or trade Landry they could make enough room to sign people to fill positions.  They're not crippled, but they're in bad enough shape that they lose any kind of bidding war.

As for Sherman himself - I mean, he's a name, but he's 30, he is coming off a torn Achilles plus a cleanup on the OTHER ankle, and he's primarily a Cover 3 corner whereas Miami (I think) doesn't necessarily specialize in zone defense.  I don't know if I'd take a high-money flier on that profile (and he's probably commanding at least 1/$6mm or 1/8$mm on his "pillow" contract).  

• Like 1

No thanks on Sherman. Too many injuries, and he'll want too much money.

Could they restructure Suh's contract?  If not, I would hope they don't cut him.  He still features prominently in the Dolphins twitter feed, so it doesn't look like cutting him is in the cards, but who knows.

Yeah there's been talk of a restructuring, which is a much better option than cutting him. Suh is too important to what we want to do on defense, but they need to get that cap number down somehow ($26 million). It's a major albatross.

I want to see the draft picks before I really say anything about the deal - he was a big contract (15 million) on a team that couldn't afford him, but he's also by far their best pass catcher, and his loss will be felt.  Edit: 2018 4th, 2019 7th.  Highly underwhelmed, but it replaces the pick Miami lost trading for Quinn so OK.

If we had the draft first, I'd rather see if we do or don't draft a QB and restructure Tannehill instead (only buys him one more guaranteed year on the team for 16 million in relief).  Suh would be on the team for two additional seasons beyond 2018, and he's in a position where age is not kind (as opposed to QB, where you can survive if you're protected).  If we can swing it, a line of Suh, Quinn, and Wake (+ a guy) is a terror on opposing passing games.

Edited by Hi, I'm VALUE!

32 minutes ago, Hi, I'm VALUE! said:

I want to see the draft picks before I really say anything about the deal - he was a big contract (15 million) on a team that couldn't afford him, but he's also by far their best pass catcher, and his loss will be felt.  Edit: 2018 4th, 2019 7th.  Highly underwhelmed, but it replaces the pick Miami lost trading for Quinn so OK.

If we had the draft first, I'd rather see if we do or don't draft a QB and restructure Tannehill instead (only buys him one more guaranteed year on the team for 16 million in relief).  Suh would be on the team for two additional seasons beyond 2018, and he's in a position where age is not kind (as opposed to QB, where you can survive if you're protected).  If we can swing it, a line of Suh, Quinn, and Wake (+ a guy) is a terror on opposing passing games.

So Charles Harris looks like a total waste of a pick.  Situational pass rusher, who’s not good at it.

The fourth and a seventh for Landry are more or less nothing, especially given how terrible this organization is at drafting.  

We wont be the worst team in the league, but definitely on the lower rung of mediocrity.

This trade.... I hope I see Mike Tannenbaum crossing the street so I can run that cocksucking mothetfvcker the fvck over. A 4 AND A 7!?!? And the 4 is pick 123 and not the first pick of the 4th round at least?!?! Meanwhile Buffalo gets 65 out of them for Tyrod Taylor?!?!! fvck YOU YOU fvckING PIECE OF sh!t brainless dipsh!t fvck. [emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

So Charles Harris looks like a total waste of a pick.  Situational pass rusher, who’s not good at it.

The fourth and a seventh for Landry are more or less nothing, especially given how terrible this organization is at drafting.  

We wont be the worst team in the league, but definitely on the lower rung of mediocrity.

You understand pass rushers rarely if ever make big impacts as rookies right? Well, now you know. It's not a waste of a pick after one year where the guy barely started. Let's wait a bit on that.

I think I need to send Kaepernick a fruit basket or something.  The man made me disgruntled with the NFL and its players just as the Dolphins are tearing it down with no apparent long term plan in mind.  In the past, the Dolphins could be 3-10 and I'd still be watching the games and getting upset.  Now, I'll barely care at week 1. 

When it comes to the NFL, I'll probably watch the draft and the Super Bowl, and that'll be about it.

1 hour ago, CarterforPresident said:

Miami look to trade JJ and release Suh. Suh will help with cap space alot. 

This is infuriating.  

Suh is one of Miami's best players, but if you want to tell me that 26 million is too high for a DT and he refuses to restructure, then fine.  We're a worse team because of it, but fine.  BUT, a team that is desperate for help on the O-Line is talking about trading/releasing one of their few GOOD linemen purely for cap reasons in the same breath - WTH are they thinking?  You're not going to get a good tackle for 9 million on the open market, but if that's too much money for a right tackle, then you can extend him and tear up the 5th year option.  

I mean, my cap math is in no way official, but if Miami is hell-bent on cutting Suh then there should be no good reason for them to cry poor and dump James as well prior to his deal becoming guaranteed.  They're going to have so much spare cap room it's going to look stupid when we're signing Joe Average off their couch mid-season for league minimum money to fill a hole in coverage. 

So disgusted right now.

• Like 1

This is infuriating.  

Suh is one of Miami's best players, but if you want to tell me that 26 million is too high for a DT and he refuses to restructure, then fine.  We're a worse team because of it, but fine.  BUT, a team that is desperate for help on the O-Line is talking about trading/releasing one of their few GOOD linemen purely for cap reasons in the same breath - WTH are they thinking?  You're not going to get a good tackle for 9 million on the open market, but if that's too much money for a right tackle, then you can extend him and tear up the 5th year option.  

I mean, my cap math is in no way official, but if Miami is hell-bent on cutting Suh then there should be no good reason for them to cry poor and dump James as well prior to his deal becoming guaranteed.  They're going to have so much spare cap room it's going to look stupid when we're signing Joe Average off their couch mid-season for league minimum money to fill a hole in coverage. 

So disgusted right now.

Armando is reporting they made James an offer and the ball is in James' court now. They probably low balled him, and he'll leave anyway. Mike Tannenbaum is the absolute worst. That man has no business running an NFL franchise. You Jet fans must be loving this. [emoji19]