DEVILS WIN #1 PICK ****2017 Draft Lottery Thread

MadDog2020

I'm also down for not blowing anyone. I don't understand how people can turn something great into a reason to be negative. Have recent draft's hype really watered down your perspective that much? NJ just moved up to getting a top prospect, and there is a chance they will be really good. The whole point is that no one knows how good these kids will be, but you take what you do know and try to pick the best one that is there. This certainly gives NJ a better chance at a future first line player than sitting in the back and trying to find Henrik Zetterburg in the 7th round. I am residing myself to believing that people would rather be negative and unhappy then end up being surprised than be let down, which is a stupid angle to take. It's okay to be happy, but apparently less fun not feeling like Bettman is calling the hounds on NJ at every turn.

1303105fa3ab97b9462a5361700f432a_release

27 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Nothing is a guarantee. First overall picks crap out, I drafted players go to the Hall of Fame. But, in theory, the higher you pick, the better your odds at something great. 

If things could be guaranteed, signing Kovy, Clowe, Cammalleri, etc. to big time free agent deals would've meant 30 goal seasons and playoff success. You can't wait around for a guarantee. 

We have to pick in the draft anyway, might as well go first.  

Not sure if this is in response to me, but I definitely wasn't implying that having a top pick in a draft where the top player may not be a can't-miss generational talent is somehow a bad thing.  You take a top pick any year you can get it...and in a year where the Devils had the fifth-best chance to get that top pick, this truly is very much a bonus. 

BUT, hopefully Devils fans are willing to be patient, and let whoever the Devils select develop a bit before trying to project his career path.  I get the impression that neither Patrick nor Hischier is going to just come right in and produce right off the bat.  Quite often fans expect #1 overall picks to have an instant impact.  I don't think it will work out that way with these guys.   

17 hours ago, CarpathianForest said:

Only thing that makes me kinda meh about us having the #1 pick is that we may get a player with the ceiling of RNH or a Nail Yakupov

17 hours ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Not to be a downer.........but I told friends, its great and all, but one year/two years too late

There were two possibilities after Dallas and Philly moved up - we draft 7th or we draft 1st.

It doesn't matter if it was Gretzky or Yakupov as the top rated prospect this year. If you walk down the street and find money on the ground weather its a $20 bill or a $500 bill do you not pick it up and feel like you got a good deal out of life? This is found money, there is no negative to it.

1 minute ago, Triumph said:

Hey everyone, haven't been around in a few days, what's been going on

I'll miss the good old days when we would stay up late and stress out about who would win an early April game between Arizona and Vancouver. 

Edited by SMantzas
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, moustic said:

Wait a second...

Is it the first time we will draft the n°1 pick in franchise history ? 

Shanny & Muller were n°2 right ? 

Yep. This is the first number 1 as the Devils. I didn't look at Colorado or KC but I'm sure someone has the info at the ready 

Yep. This is the first number 1 as the Devils. I didn't look at Colorado or KC but I'm sure someone has the info at the ready 

The last time the franchise picked #1 overall was 1979, when it was still in Colorado. First time the Devils have picked #1 since moving to NJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob Ramage was the #1 overall pick in 1979.  Wilf Paiement (1974 Scouts), Barry Dean (1975 Scouts), Barry Beck (1977 Rockies), Kirk Muller (1984 Devils) and Brendan Shanahan (1987 Devils) were taken second overall. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Rob Ramage was the #1 overall pick in 1979.  Wilf Paiement (1974 Scouts), Barry Dean (1975 Scouts), Barry Beck (1977 Rockies), Kirk Muller (1984 Devils) and Brendan Shanahan (1987 Devils) were taken second overall. 

And Niedermayer would have been 2nd due to the Leafs but the Sharks had to come into the league then.

2 minutes ago, roomtemp said:

And Niedermayer would have been 2nd due to the Leafs but the Sharks had to come into the league then.

I'll never forget that season...was funny watching the Maple Leafs scrambling to make a bunch of trades so that they wouldn't finish with the worst record overall (which would've given the Devils Lindros of course).  Also thank god that San Jose came into the league...I think Pat Falloon was pretty much the #2 guy on EVERYONE'S depth chart that season. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'll never forget that season...was funny watching the Maple Leafs scrambling to make a bunch of trades so that they wouldn't finish with the worst record overall (which would've given the Devils Lindros of course).  Also thank god that San Jose came into the league...I think Pat Falloon was pretty much the #2 guy on EVERYONE'S depth chart that season. 

I was SOOO rooting for the Nordiques that year, wanted Lindros so bad. 

We made out ok with that guy Scott with the really long last name. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SMantzas said:

I'll miss the good old days when we would stay up late and stress out about who would win an early April game between Arizona and Vancouver. 

only to wake up and see that Vancouver still hadn't earned a point in the past three weeks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Considering some of the reactions here when he got sent down, it sure was haha. 

Clemmensen

Taormina

Eckford

Urbom

All legends that we let go

lol I remember when after 3-4 games people were calling Taormina the second coming of Brian Rafalski.

• Like 1

I just wanted to say that MadDog2020 should start all Draft threads default_boogie.gif ... Ray didn't bring/wear any lucky charms to the draft (and I don't believe it was Jersey girl Kathryn wearing red that brought us luck) - thank you MadDog!! default_yes.gif

Hey, anything I can do to help the team! [emoji14][emoji482]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4