Nico or Nolan

caron14

Take your time to analyse this... Im curious about your answer.

Don't know much about Nolan but  injury issues concern me a little ...

Really like what I saw from Hischier in the QJMHL and at the World championship. Great skater with pure offensive abilities. Reminds me a lot of A bigger version of Jonathan Drouin. (Skillset)

So with the first selection of the 2017 nhl entry draft, the New Jersey Devils are proud to select...

Edited by caron14

Was just going to post a similar thread. 

I give the edge to Nico. Great stats and no precarious injury history. I don't think Patrick would be a bad choice, but if it's me, Nico all the way. 

Of course, he is Swiss, so his game is full of holes. ;)

I'm legitimately fine with either pick, honestly. As long as we don't Adrian Foster this, we will have a solid player in Nolan or Nico. And yes, I know there are shades of Foster with Nolan's injury history but I think the kid will be fine once he develops balls of steel. Jersey will toughen him up right quick. Ha. 

My money is on Nolan at the end of the day. But really. I'm happy with either player. I'm just happy. What a great day. Ha. 

• Like 2

Obviously will trust Castron, but if Patrick has a clean bill of health, he's the one I take.  Nico didn't put up 100 points in the Q and had a very so so playoffs.  I mean who was the last forward taken number 1 overall who couldn't manage to do that?

2 hours ago, Weekes Head said:

I'm legitimately fine with either pick, honestly. As long as we don't Adrian Foster this, we will have a solid player in Nolan or Nico. And yes, I know there are shades of Foster with Nolan's injury history but I think the kid will be fine once he develops balls of steel. Jersey will toughen him up right quick. Ha. 

My money is on Nolan at the end of the day. But really. I'm happy with either player. I'm just happy. What a great day. Ha. 

Weekes Head doesn't have a liver to metabolize toxins.

My gut says Patrick, but what the hell does it know.

• Like 1

Nolan Patrick.  He's a center with size, very good shot, fluid skater too.  Plays two ways.  Was fairly dominant last year.  If he stayed healthy this year, he would have been clear cut first pick.

Hischier looks like he's got ability but I'm not sure I see a high ceiling with him.  I also am wary of guys from the Q.

i think as long as we can squeeze a good 3-4 yrs out of Zajac he can be a terrific mentor to both McLeod and Patrick.  

Centers that are good don't grow on trees.  Shero followed that blueprint in PITT.  He then went and found complements on the wings.  And then drafted a lot of the guys who helped them retool their wings on the top 3 lines to help win that second Cup last year.

I look at this way: Nolan is 6 3 according to scouting reports I read a very good 2 way center.  Nico is 6 1 and a very good offensive center,  Nolan has injury history.  If Nolan gets healthy can the Devils afford to give a 6 3 inch center to the Flyers?  Or do they give the Flyers an offensive wiz?  This is a decision for the guy making big bucks Shero.

* Of course the Devils will draft a goal tender.  :o

8 minutes ago, Rock said:

I look at this way: Nolan is 6 3 according to scouting reports I read a very good 2 way center.  Nico is 6 1 and a very good offensive center,  Nolan has injury history.  If Nolan gets healthy can the Devils afford to give a 6 3 inch center to the Flyers?  Or do they give the Flyers an offensive wiz?  This is a decision for the guy making big bucks Shero.

* Of course the Devils will draft a goal tender.  :o

Can't worry about the Flyers here. Courterier was once considered 1st overall possible and a big center and he has been an overall disappointment for what they expected. 

1 hour ago, Jersey Sure said:

Question to those who know better than me---

Does the fact that Patrick plays in the WHL mean anything here?  Doesn't that league have less of a rep than some of the other junior leagues?  or am I off on this and it doesn't matter.

If I had to rank them it would be probably WHL being the best, then OHL, then QMJHL. But great players come from all three.

Just listening to Nolan Patrick last night -- he already sounds like a Devil talking about defensive responsibility and playing as a two-way center. I think they will take him. He's a big, talented guy up the middle, and he will take less time to adjust to living and playing hockey in the United States (presumably).

He's also from the same hometown as Zajac! And he played junior hockey with John Quenneville last year. So the Devils should be familiar with him.

• Like 3

I think you have to go Patrick. Injuries happen, but he has shown an ability to dominate. We've been saying we need someone like him at center forever and now we have a chance. 

The idea of him and McLeod down the middle in a few years is too good to pass up, as is the idea of a Hall-Patrick-Palmieri line. Or hell maybe even Kovy depending what Shero is thinking

• Like 1

Nolan, but I'll be smiling like a kid in a candy shop either way. 

Both have question marks. Patrick has some injuries but will Nico definitely be a C at the next level? 

In two years:

Nolan/Nico 

Zajac/McLeod

McLeod/Zajac 

For once, NJ will be deep as hell down the middle

Edited by SMantzas

Shero won in Pittsburgh with the model of depth down the middle, Patrick/McLeod isn't Crosby/Malkin, but it's still part of what I believe his plan is. I'm just so stoked, people have said for so long that this team will be where it needs to be when Zajac is the #3 center, and suddenly that looks so much closer than it did even a week ago.

• Like 1