Nico or Nolan

caron14

25 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Isn't Patrick's ceiling considered to be Tavares? If that's the case, then yeah he's gotta be the pick, assuming these injuries aren't gonna be a chronic issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't see that.  Tavares dominated the OHL as a 16 year old, and is probably in the top five for ppg.  

That brings up my thought that I've had for a awhile which is trading the pick for Tavares if it looks less and less like he'll sign an extension with the Isles.

• Like 3

I can't see that.  Tavares dominated the OHL as a 16 year old, and is probably in the top five for ppg.  
That brings up my thought that I've had for a awhile which is trading the pick for Tavares if it looks less and less like he'll sign an extension with the Isles.

Now THAT is a trade I would make involving the pick, with the condition a Tavares extension is worked out ahead of time. Highly doubt the Isles would do it though.

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Now THAT is a trade I would make involving the pick, with the condition a Tavares extension is worked out ahead of time. Highly doubt the Isles would do it though.

They'd have to look past the taboo of trading within the division, and realize that maximum value is much more important.

They'd have to look past the taboo of trading within the division, and realize that maximum value is much more important.

Really they'd have to overlook not only trading in division, but trading IN MARKET. I mean, for the Islanders, they'd have to hear about what Tavares was doing with the Devils all the time- just as we'd have to hear about how well Patrick or Hischier were doing with them. It's why the Mets and Yankees never make big, significant trades. It's highly unlikely, but now that we actually have the #1 pick, it's fun to speculate about.

24 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Really they'd have to overlook not only trading in division, but trading IN MARKET. I mean, for the Islanders, they'd have to hear about what Tavares was doing with the Devils all the time- just as we'd have to hear about how well Patrick or Hischier were doing with them. It's why the Mets and Yankees never make big, significant trades. It's highly unlikely, but now that we actually have the #1 pick, it's fun to speculate about.

I mean, I can understand not trading with a rival like the Rangers under any circumstance.  But the Devils and Isles aren't really rivals and are barely in the same market, at least so far as location of fan base is concerned.  It's also a bit of a perfect storm situation where now, the Devils have a lot to offer and Tavares can nix any trade based on his willingness to sign an extension.

Not saying I know one way or another whether he has any interest playing here, just that it's logical enough that he would if the money's right.

• Like 1

At a glance you would say Patrick has the higher ceiling, the WHL is known as a tougher, more defensive league than the QMJHL, to put up 100 point in his draft -1 year while having a reputation as a 2-way player is some high end sh!t. Kid is big to, right shot. Not that the Swiss kid didn't do a dam good job his first year in NA. Would have to think Patrick pending the injury situation. What was his injury(s) this year?

From Patrick's Wiki:

"Patrick never had a favourite NHL team growing up, although he follows the Dallas Stars to support his uncle."

How in the fvck can you be so into hockey that you wind up as possibly the first overall pick in the NHL Draft and not have a favorite team?? Is that even possible???

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

From Patrick's Wiki:

"Patrick never had a favourite NHL team growing up, although he follows the Dallas Stars to support his uncle."

How in the fvck can you be so into hockey that you wind up as possibly the first overall pick in the NHL Draft and not have a favorite team?? Is that even possible???

You're so wrapped up in playing competitively, and he probably knew by the time he was 13 or 14 that he was gonna play in the NHL. I think Ekblad said something similar, that he didn't enjoy watching hockey, because every time he watched, he wanted to play. He'd end up going into his basement and shooting pucks when he tried watching.

Patrick ends up with a junior teammate either here with Q or in Philly with Provorov. He must be ecstatic about that. Just from highlights, he looks like a player's player that has good relationships with his teammates.

4 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

You're so wrapped up in playing competitively, and he probably knew by the time he was 13 or 14 that he was gonna play in the NHL. I think Ekblad said something similar, that he didn't enjoy watching hockey, because every time he watched, he wanted to play. He'd end up going into his basement and shooting pucks when he tried watching.

I just feel like you have to be interested in the game to start playing. I guess if you're Canadian and your whole family plays hockey, that may not be the case. 

44 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

From Patrick's Wiki:

It's actually more common that great athletes don't follow the pro sport until they become pros.  I think Mike McLeod is that way.  Jeff Kent always said he never followed baseball growing up.  Ryan Tannehill couldn't name the teams in the Dolphins division until he got to training camp.

Just now, Daniel said:

It's actually more common that great athletes don't follow the pro sport until they become pros.  I think Mike McLeod is that way.  Jeff Kent always said he never followed baseball growing up.  Ryan Tannehill couldn't name the teams in the Dolphins division until he got to training camp.

That seems so strange. But hey, at least he's not a Rangers fan. 

7 hours ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

At a glance you would say Patrick has the higher ceiling, the WHL is known as a tougher, more defensive league than the QMJHL, to put up 100 point in his draft -1 year while having a reputation as a 2-way player is some high end sh!t. Kid is big to, right shot. Not that the Swiss kid didn't do a dam good job his first year in NA. Would have to think Patrick pending the injury situation. What was his injury(s) this year?

I will do you better than that - someone went to all the trouble of listing all his injuries since 2012 - long list since he's missed time every year with injuries (except one year): 

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=2160133

I'm thinking Nico but I'll trust in Ray and his draft gurus... 

Think I'd take Patrick. This comes seeing exactly 0 seconds of either. My real motive is the passing of the torch from Patrik to Patrick. It would inspire me to get good at photoshop and recreate the Creation of Adam with Elias as god and Nolan as Adam. 

Patrick to NJ (e5). 

1 hour ago, LittleBallofHate said:

I will do you better than that - someone went to all the trouble of listing all his injuries since 2012 - long list since he's missed time every year with injuries (except one year): 

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=2160133

I'm thinking Nico but I'll trust in Ray and his draft gurus... 

thanks. This does changes my view a bit, that is a concerning list for a teenager, makes you concerned for what will happen when he starts playing against much bigger, stronger, faster players in the big leagues.

23 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Has a Swiss player even gone #1? 

I'd be happy with either, but I guess I'm leaning towards Patrick. Lose a Patrik, gain a Patrick. ;)

1 hour ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

Think I'd take Patrick. This comes seeing exactly 0 seconds of either. My real motive is the passing of the torch from Patrik to Patrick. It would inspire me to get good at photoshop and recreate the Creation of Adam with Elias as god and Nolan as Adam. 

Patrick to NJ (e5). 

What's with people stealing my sh!t lately. :P

22 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Isn't Patrick's ceiling considered to be Tavares? If that's the case, then yeah he's gotta be the pick, assuming these injuries aren't gonna be a chronic issue.

I had heard the same thing, and also that Tavares also had injuries issues the season before being drafted...

I'm leaning towards Patrick but honestly, a year after being pissed that we passed on Logan Brown for McLeod, I'm just going to sit back and trust that management will make the best decision for the direction they want to take this team.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I want to first admit that I know less about prospects than most on here. So I'm posing a question;

assume that the players in the last 3 seasons all came out in the same draft. So; McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, Poolparty, Laine, Strome, Hanifin, Marner, Crouse, Patrick, Hischier. Pretending you don't have the benefit of hindsight, where do Patrick/Hischier go? 5th? 9th? 

Everyone says the draft is "weaker", which I can agree with without knowing much. And I know we're  not getting a Connor McDavid. But is the 1st overall this year THAT much worse than the third last year? Or the 4th two years ago?

I pretty much had the same question.  I'm not a big prospect/college/minors guy so I tend to know little about the pipeline and potential additions to the team.  From the little I've read I would figure Patrick would be somewhere around 5-7th among the names you mentioned, but I could be wrong.