Nico or Nolan

caron14

17 hours ago, Jerzey said:

Sorry I'm bored but does anyone think there's a chance Shero tries to trade up from the second round to try to grab Hague?

Oh who knows dude..

but I will say, with the amount of picks we have, I'd love to see the team package a few of them for something bigger 

• Like 2

I gotta admit when the story broke about Dallas listening to offers for the #3 pick I hoped Shero could do a deal for it. But let' face it. Any deal involving lower round picks to move up to the first is going to require Shero to sweeten the deal and there's not a lot of sugar left in the pot to sweeten it with.

Realistically what would we have to give up to get another first rounder? Rico or Severson and a 2nd?

Random question - say you're picking 3rd-ish. Would you, as a GM, hesitate to pick Casey Mittelstadt since he's committed to college (U of Min I believe)? I know the Draft Analyst has him as #1 but I'd be nervous taking someone that could go to school for 4 years and go anywhere he wants (I know - high draft picks usually don't do this but they could, if they weren't anxious for the $$$). 

From AG's article, it sounds like Kerfoot is going to test the open market but that's for a different thread... 

1 hour ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Random question - say you're picking 3rd-ish. Would you, as a GM, hesitate to pick Casey Mittelstadt since he's committed to college (U of Min I believe)? I know the Draft Analyst has him as #1 but I'd be nervous taking someone that could go to school for 4 years and go anywhere he wants (I know - high draft picks usually don't do this but they could, if they weren't anxious for the $$$). 

From AG's article, it sounds like Kerfoot is going to test the open market but that's for a different thread... 

Someone drafted that high that goes to college will usually tear it up pretty quickly.   I can't think of a case where someone did that and stayed in college all four years and became a free agent.  

So basically if Mittlestadt ends up going to free agency, it most likely means that he's a draft bust.

• Like 1

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎26 at 2:15 PM, Daniel said:

Someone drafted that high that goes to college will usually tear it up pretty quickly.   I can't think of a case where someone did that and stayed in college all four years and became a free agent.  

So basically if Mittlestadt ends up going to free agency, it most likely means that he's a draft bust.

Yup, a player with that pedigree has a multimillion dollar ELC waiting for them, they are going to chase playing in the NHL right away.

• Like 1

I was speaking with Mark Howe last night at a friends house. Very nice man. And I asked him about Patrick and Nico.  He had no opinion to offer unfortunately.  His involvement isn't in scouting. ( I forgot what he actually does now, he even told me)

But............he told me that he was one of the few people that he had talked to that thought Edmonton got great value in the Larsson/Hall trade.  He wasn;t a big fan of Hall, said he turns the puck over way too much, and how hard it is to get a top pairing Defenseman

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Don't know if Lebrun is being serious since it's a picture of Shero laughing. Even so, not earth shattering.  I'm pretty sure every team gets calls about the first pick every year.

17 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Mark Howe also told me that when it's all said and done, Connor McDavid will be "much better" than Crosby

Hard to imagine any player being "much better" than Crosby. Staying healthier could be a factor. 

16 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Hard to imagine any player being "much better" than Crosby. Staying healthier could be a factor. 

FWIW, Conte said that McDavid was the best prospect he'd ever evaluated, and that included Mario and Lindros.

Hey, I'm just relating what an NHL HoFer said.    He also made a point how there's no uber special guy this year.  But we all knew that.

If McDavid can stay healthy and avoid the concussion issues Crosby has dealt with, I think he'll end up being better than Crosby too... Much better? He'd pretty much have to be Gretzky or Orr for that... But the kid is an absolutely incredible hockey player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

If McDavid can stay healthy and avoid the concussion issues Crosby has dealt with, I think he'll end up being better than Crosby too... Much better? He'd pretty much have to be Gretzky or Orr for that... But the kid is an absolutely incredible hockey player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crazy speed. He gets the edge and the corner on dmen like nothing. One that you pay to watch.

As far as the Crosby comparison goes, I think you are right. They seem about equal starting their respective careers, the law of averages says he will have better luck with injuries than Crosby so tbh I would bet on McDavid to have the better career but not by a that much of a margin.

Edited by Antiquated Colorado Rockie
  • Like 1

Devils are meeting with Nico today.  

Ray mentioned in the TSN interview that he went to Winnipeg to meet Nolan's family and Switzerland to meet Nico's family within the past few weeks.  He also mentioned that he met Nico's billet family. 

The other interesting thing from that interview (IMHO) was that he said the phones calls are really starting to pick up pre-expansion draft, now that teams like Anaheim & Minnesota are eliminated. He also mentioned having to wait to speak with Nashville (I.e., all the teams chock full of defense). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LittleBallofHate said:

I read on NHL.com yesterday that Nolan met with Buffalo and Winnipeg yesterday (in addition to NJ).  I'd love to get a list of all the teams each of the top picks meet with... it would give you some insight as to who might try to move up.  Or maybe I just need to get a summer hobby. :lol:

Not unusual for multiple teams to have interviews with the projected top pick.  Last year, seven teams interviewed with Matthews even though they had no chance of drafting him or trading up to get him.  I'm sure McDavid had interviews with multiple teams also. 

I've said repeatedly that I don't really care if we go with Patrick or Hischier but I think I'm at the point of hoping that our scouting staff like's Nico better so that we don't have to spend the next 5 years over analyzing every missed morning skate or practice that Nolan has.  

• Like 2

Just watched today's interview with Shero (c/o Julie Robenhymer) - nothing groundbreaking.  Ray did mention they spent quite a bit of time with Nico and that the Devils also met with Miro Heiskanen.  But he then went on to say he really only should talk about Nico/Nolan (lest anyone think we might take MH instead) :lol: