Nico or Nolan

caron14

3 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Did Patrick play with Quenneville?

Maybe Shero can use Quennville to get an "inside" opinion on him.

Yes, they spent most of 2015-16 on the same line in Brandon     

41 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I want to first admit that I know less about prospects than most on here. So I'm posing a question;

assume that the players in the last 3 seasons all came out in the same draft. So; McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, Poolparty, Laine, Strome, Hanifin, Marner, Crouse, Patrick, Hischier. Pretending you don't have the benefit of hindsight, where do Patrick/Hischier go? 5th? 9th? 

Everyone says the draft is "weaker", which I can agree with without knowing much. And I know we're  not getting a Connor McDavid. But is the 1st overall this year THAT much worse than the third last year? Or the 4th two years ago?

I think in 2015, they would have slotted anywhere between 3-5 with the grouping of Strome, Marner and Hanifin depending on team need. Last year, coming off a full season with no injuries and WHL playoff MVP,  Nolan is probably 3rd instead of PLD since Columbus apparently wasn't that high on Pulijarvi.      

1 hour ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I want to first admit that I know less about prospects than most on here. So I'm posing a question;

assume that the players in the last 3 seasons all came out in the same draft. So; McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, Poolparty, Laine, Strome, Hanifin, Marner, Crouse, Patrick, Hischier. Pretending you don't have the benefit of hindsight, where do Patrick/Hischier go? 5th? 9th? 

Everyone says the draft is "weaker", which I can agree with without knowing much. And I know we're  not getting a Connor McDavid. But is the 1st overall this year THAT much worse than the third last year? Or the 4th two years ago?

Predraft?

McDavid

Eichel

Matthews

Strome/Patrick/Marner/Laine

Hischier/Puljujarvi

Hanifin

Crouse

2 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I recall that Pronman said around the time of last year's draft that he would have had Patrick ranked fourth or fifth.

If whoever the Devils take in this draft -- even if they trade the pick -- turns out to be like Crouse, then the team is going to be pretty f'd for a while longer.

The Q does a great job tracking stats compared to the WHL, so it gives us some nice data on Nico.

Some pluses:

-Averaged over 4 shots per game in the regular season and 5 per game in the playoffs

-Only 11 of his 38 goals came on the PP, which means that he did very well at ES

-Shot 16.4%, which isn't very high in that league, so he didnt shoot lights out. This indicates he wasnt riding percentages

-People say he faded down the stretch and his only less than PPG month was indeed March. However, his shot rate remained at 4 p/g and he shot 3%. He was just incredibly unlucky that month

A couple of minuses:

-His faceoff percentage was under 50% (48.7%). I'm not a big faceoffs guy, but he may need to get better if he wants to remain a C.

-He had 54 pts in 30 home games, but only 32 in 27 road games. It seems like he wasn't quite as effective when opposing coaches got the matchups they wanted

Overall- I'm actually more encouraged after looking at this data. Seems like he did a ton of damage at ES and him fading down the stretch seems a tad exaggerated considering his shot rate remained consistent in March and even increased in the playoffs.
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

That guy is a good time...

5 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Did Patrick play with Quenneville?

Maybe Shero can use Quenneville to get an "inside" opinion on him.

He was in just about every clip on that 2015-16 highlight reel that someone posted.

4 hours ago, SMantzas said:
The Q does a great job tracking stats compared to the WHL, so it gives us some nice data on Nico.

Some pluses:

-Averaged over 4 shots per game in the regular season and 5 per game in the playoffs

-Only 11 of his 38 goals came on the PP, which means that he did very well at ES

-Shot 16.4%, which isn't very high in that league, so he didnt shoot lights out. This indicates he wasnt riding percentages

-People say he faded down the stretch and his only less than PPG month was indeed March. However, his shot rate remained at 4 p/g and he shot 3%. He was just incredibly unlucky that month

A couple of minuses:

-His faceoff percentage was under 50% (48.7%). I'm not a big faceoffs guy, but he may need to get better if he wants to remain a C.

-He had 54 pts in 30 home games, but only 32 in 27 road games. It seems like he wasn't quite as effective when opposing coaches got the matchups they wanted

Overall- I'm actually more encouraged after looking at this data. Seems like he did a ton of damage at ES and him fading down the stretch seems a tad exaggerated considering his shot rate remained consistent in March and even increased in the playoffs.

His team travel a lot.. maybe it explains that his productions isn't the same...

One thing I know is that Halifax had the worst lineup in the league... The only reason they didn't finish last is Nico Hischier.

He played really well in a weak team.Reminds me of Sean Monahan season before the draft.

The more I see of him the more I like.

I would Select Nico Hischier... He got speed, skill, and he plays with an Edge.... He needs to get a little bit bigger and work on his faceoffs.

Edited by caron14

5 hours ago, SMantzas said:

Some pluses:

A couple of minuses:

Do you use two accounts on HF? If not someone is plagiarizing you.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=2185633&page=14

(Post #339)

6 hours ago, SMantzas said:

Some pluses:

A couple of minuses:

Nico is a possession machine and the more seasoned and dynamic player. I go with him.

9 hours ago, Lateralous said:

I'm leaning towards Patrick but honestly, a year after being pissed that we passed on Logan Brown for McLeod, I'm just going to sit back and trust that management will make the best decision for the direction they want to take this team.   

Oh man don't regret taking McLeod. Kid is going to be a 40 goal scorer.

Edited by devlman

6 minutes ago, devlman said:

Oh man don't regret taking McLeod. Kid is going to be a 40 goal scorer.

I think that's what he meant, he was upset and McLeod looks like he'll be great, so he is trusting management again. At least that's what I took from it. 

• Like 3

Just now, mfitz804 said:

I think that's what he meant, he was upset and McLeod looks like he'll be great, so he is trusting management again. At least that's what I took from it. 

Correct.  I'm currently loving the McLeod pick with the development he's shown this season.  I stream the occasional OHL game and he's been he best player on the ice every time I've watched them this year.  I was bummed at the time of the draft because I preferred Brown but one year later, I think McLeod would be a no brainer.    

• Like 1

found this on Sportsnet

Ray Shero, New Jersey Devils General Manager
"Yes please, I'll take either. How's that?

"They’re outstanding players and Nolan, he’s obviously with injuries this year, I think it's been difficult, but everybody recognizes the talent he has and certainly hockey pedigree. And you see a kid from Switzerland with that kind of talent and you’re looking for centre icemen, but I think everybody in this position is not just looking for centre icemen, you’re looking for good players. And there are a number of good players here.

"Over the last couple of years you’ve had generational players and it's nice to see them prove it on the ice and you see a kid like Auston Matthews get 44 goals this year, from Arizona, that's fantastic. And obviously Connor McDavid, Jack Eichel, all these guys.

"In those drafts everybody’s got 1-2 and then from three to 10 maybe everybody’s got a different list — I think everybody might have a different list from one to eight at this point.

"I can’t speak for other teams, I think, if we had the first overall pick, I think we have a pretty good idea, but again, I'd love to have that problem."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-team-reps-say-nolan-patrick-vs-nico-hischier/

I'm 95% set on Nolan, but I'm open to changing my mind if there's a convincing argument for Nico. To me, it seems like Nolan is the more complete player, not too flashy, but does everything quite well, and has all the tools to succeed (hard to gauge his speed from these highlight videos, though). Also, don't forget about that shot. Nico is definitely more exciting to watch, really great hands, very fast, etc. Either pick would be good, but I'm sticking with NP.

A couple years back, during Quenneville's draft +1 year, I went to look at the Wheat Kings stats to see if Conte chose the right Wheat King (Jayce Hawryluk, JQ's teammate was selected a few picks later in 2014). I saw the name Nolan Patrick ahead of JQ in the stats page, and I wondered why Conte didn't have him on the radar as well. That's when I realized Patrick had 2 and a half more seasons before he was draft eligible. Since then, I've been dreaming of drafting a player like Patrick in NJ, someone who has been able to dominate a league from a young age, but I really did not think it would happen any time soon. The next season (17 years old), Patrick was 5th in the WHL in scoring, behind 4 players who were all 2-3 years older. And then this season, his p/g declined negligibly, but I don't see it as a problem, given it was an injury shortened season. If that injury doesn't happen, I think the Nico vs. Nolan question is a lot less difficult.

Looking at some of these highlight videos of Nolan, it almost reminds me of Matthews prospect videos from team USA. Not so much in playing style as much as how Nolan seems to be on another level compared to everyone else on the ice, every time. To me, Nico seems more like a Mitch Marner type, with his ridiculous skill set. I obviously would gladly take either one and will be happy with whichever player Shero/Castron go with, but I'm still leaning toward Nolan. I don't buy the lower ceiling talk, either.

Edited by nessus
  • Like 1