Former CSN Philly Flyers reporter Sarah Baicker takes job with New Jersey Devils

Since1982-83

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Don LaGreca is a good example- guy used to be a die-hard Devils fan. Grew up here in NJ. Now he covers the Rags, and he's basically a shill for them. I've never heard him speak a negative word about them in years, and there's never a time where he doesn't think they'll win a game or a series. He may as well tattoo a pair of blue pom poms on his arm and call it a day.

Very good example. Listening to him on the radio daily, you wouldn't believe he's anything but a die hard Rangers fan. 

• Like 1

Very good example. Listening to him on the radio daily, you wouldn't believe he's anything but a die hard Rangers fan. 

It sickens me. The guy literally has a Devils tattoo- the Rags probably made him remove it before they started pumping him full of blue kool-aid. He may as well change his name to Boomer and run for mayor of Rangerstown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In fairness...it's not like there's tons and tons of jobs like this out there.  Sure, if you get to do it for the team you happen to root for, awesome.  But I don't know how you turn down an opportunity in such a limited market over loyalty to a certain team.  That's not a luxury that most people can afford. 

The one thing that IS kind of sad is you do hear how people in this line of work basically kind of stop being fans of any given team (even they one they grew up rooting for)...I have to admit, I would miss that...but I'm not walking in their shoes either. 

46 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Don LaGreca is a good example- guy used to be a die-hard Devils fan. Grew up here in NJ. Now he covers the Rags, and he's basically a shill for them. I've never heard him speak a negative word about them in years, and there's never a time where he doesn't think they'll win a game or a series. He may as well tattoo a pair of blue pom poms on his arm and call it a day.

Wait, so are you saying he's still a Devils fan at heart, or pretends to be one outside of work anyway, and is basically just covering the Rags for his job and a paycheck?  I mean, if he can do that, great for him I guess, but personally I'd find it very hard to do, even if I needed the money, and even then, I still don't think I could bring myself to do it.  There's just some things not worth doing.  I don't want to dig ditches for a living.  I don't want to clean toilets for a living.  And I don't want to cover any of my team's hated rivals for a living.  

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

In fairness...it's not like there's tons and tons of jobs like this out there.  Sure, if you get to do it for the team you happen to root for, awesome.  But I don't know how you turn down an opportunity in such a limited market over loyalty to a certain team.  That's not a luxury that most people can afford. 

The one thing that IS kind of sad is you do hear how people in this line of work basically kind of stop being fans of any given team (even they one they grew up rooting for)...I have to admit, I would miss that...but I'm not walking in their shoes either. 

Howie Rose lifelong Rangers fan being with the rival Islanders for two decades is another.

16 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Why the fvck did I just watch a 35 second commercial to see a 25 second long clip of a fully dressed borderline attractive woman jump into a cold pool. 

I need to re-analyze what I do with my free time 

Gotta love when the commercials exceed the clip.
And borderline is kind.  

• Like 1

On 5/8/2017 at 8:00 AM, Jimmy Leeds said:

She's 10x hotter than Deb

That's not saying much and of all the Devils babes and reporters within New Jersey, yah think they could of found some young smokin hot babe to attract fans/viewers? Nope, they pick a lifelong Flyers fan, but far more important, she's 'beer goggles' special at best.

Man have standards dropped on this forum  :wub:

5 minutes ago, HOLLYWOOD said:

That's not saying much and of all the Devils babes and reporters within New Jersey, yah think they could of found some young smokin hot babe to attract fans/viewers? Nope, they pick a lifelong Flyers fan, but far more important, she's 'beer goggles' special at best.

Man have standards dropped on this forum  :wub:

I was basing this on her photo. Now I agree..........she's about a 7 beer move

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TheMazz said:

This might be blasphemy to some of you but I would have no issue if they phased Dano out. I think he's insufferable as a color guy and was far better suited doing something like H.N.L. 

Total agreement from me.  I don't need someone yelling at me every game.

17 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

I was basing this on her photo. Now I agree..........she's about a 7 beer move

Gonna second this... the video has me changing my opinion. 

• Like 1

Meh, as much as I love eye candy, as long as she does a good job, that's good enough for me...would rather someone like that than some hottie who clearly got the job due to looks (obviously if you can get both looks AND ability, best of all worlds, but for something like this I'll sacrifice beauty for talent).  And she's not THAT bad...just very ordinary from head to toe...no real reaction either way.  You're neither wake up strutting nor ashamed the next morning. 

Agree on Dano, much as I keep wanting to hope that he'll grow into the job more, I'm just not seeing it...and his voice is just not very easy on the ears. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

7 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I didn't know so many of our fellow posters here on njdevs have or are currently dating pageant winners.

Heh heh, and there's that.  I think it's the Flyers thing that has her getting picked apart.  Actually, with what could be a very interesting offseason, I couldn't really care less about who's on air.   

She's a really nice girl who isn't a bad hockey player either. I am sure she is excited to take on this next job and if you know anything about working for professional sports it is often best to work for a team that ins't your favorite because the day to day can sour you very much on the team. I highly doubt her Philthadelphia background will taint her capabilities to do the job. It's also nice to see a person that works hard get to a spot like this. Is it October yet?

Wait, so are you saying he's still a Devils fan at heart, or pretends to be one outside of work anyway, and is basically just covering the Rags for his job and a paycheck?  I mean, if he can do that, great for him I guess, but personally I'd find it very hard to do, even if I needed the money, and even then, I still don't think I could bring myself to do it.  There's just some things not worth doing.  I don't want to dig ditches for a living.  I don't want to clean toilets for a living.  And I don't want to cover any of my team's hated rivals for a living.  

No- I'm saying he WAS a legit, die-hard Devils fan (to the point that he had a Devils tattoo on his leg that he showed me and a bunch of other fans at a playoff game he was working for ESPN Radio back in 2003), and now that he does Rags radio pre and post-games and fill-in PBP, he has turned into a Rag shill. He has openly admitted he is no longer a Devils fan because of his profession, and that the Rags winning and doing well is his priority. I actually enjoy listening to LaGreca as a talk show host, and he's very knowledgable about hockey, but his turning his back on the Devils so completely and unapologetically really pisses me off, profession, paycheck, or not. It's like he was never a fan at all to listen to him talk.

15 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Heh heh, and there's that.  I think it's the Flyers thing that has her getting picked apart.  Actually, with what could be a very interesting offseason, I couldn't really care less about who's on air.   

Is director of hockey communications even an on-air job or something visible like what Julie does on YouTube?  Sounds like a more behind the scenes role anyway.  Does anyone even know who the last one was, or if we even had one?

19 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I didn't know so many of our fellow posters here on njdevs have or are currently dating pageant winners.

Seriously... she looks like any normal woman you'd see walking down the street, lol. Some people in here are making it sound like she crawled out of a dumpster or something. Regardless, as others have brought up I really don't think her job title sounds like something that she will be on-air for? I don't think Deb is getting replaced, or Julie.

19 minutes ago, Steven M. said:

Seriously... she looks like any normal woman you'd see walking down the street, lol. Some people in here are making it sound like she crawled out of a dumpster or something. Regardless, as others have brought up I really don't think her job title sounds like something that she will be on-air for? I don't think Deb is getting replaced, or Julie.

Maybe someone should do a "would you hit it" poll. I think she'd do ok. 

On 5/8/2017 at 1:28 PM, mikemarc1 said:

Per her Facebook, she's the new director of hockey communications.

Doesnt seem like she will be on air..or replacing Deb.

must have known ONeill from their time in Philly.

Yes. "known"

On Tuesday, May 09, 2017 at 10:23 AM, MadDog2020 said:

To be fair if the Devils don't want to hire him I don't blame him, he's from the area and gets to stay here. If there was an opening with  the Devils I would imagine he would try to get it. 

To be fair if the Devils don't want to hire him I don't blame him, he's from the area and gets to stay here. If there was an opening with  the Devils I would imagine he would try to get it. 

See my second post in this thread on LaGreca as to why I have an issue with him.

• Like 1

Regarding LaGreca: To be fair, after announcing and doing PBP for a team for as long as he has been doing, I cannot fault him for getting a little emotionally involved with them.  You sort of adopt them and ease your emotions when you get as involved with the team and get to know the players/personnel over the years like he has.

I mean wasn't Doc's favorite team growing up the Red Wings?  I don't doubt he still cheers for them deep down, but he seems to have adopted the Devils as his other favorite team to the point where he is wearing their rings prominently on-air.

Regarding LaGreca: To be fair, after announcing and doing PBP for a team for as long as he has been doing, I cannot fault him for getting a little emotionally involved with them.  You sort of adopt them and ease your emotions when you get as involved with the team and get to know the players/personnel over the years like he has.
I mean wasn't Doc's favorite team growing up the Red Wings?  I don't doubt he still cheers for them deep down, but he seems to have adopted the Devils as his other favorite team to the point where he is wearing their rings prominently on-air.

I get what you're saying, but there's a big difference in Doc being a Wings fan growing up in the 50's and going on to be the Devils' PBP guy 40 years later and LaGreca basically swearing off the team he lived and died with for over 20 years to go cover their biggest and most hated rival, and then basically not even acknowledging their existence anymore.

On 5/10/2017 at 8:28 AM, '7' said:

Yes. "known"

You better believe it's  "known" This poor sport TV clown isn't even qualified for the position of Director of Hockey Communication and Content for a professional NHL team. You would figure she'd have a degree in Marketing or an MBA in running the Communications and Content of a professional sports team, at least 10 years working franchise front office technical-management communications. Nope She's a journalist, a poor one at that(see her Philly CSN failed delivery and bad videos). Zero, repeat Zero experience working in the front office of any professional or minor league hockey organization communications/marketing departments.

She may be qualified for a entry-level hockey communications position at South Mountain arena running the PeeWee league, but nowhere close to any junior or pro franchise directors position.

Yep 7, all points to, "it's not what you know, but who you've 'known'."

On 5/10/2017 at 3:52 AM, NJDevs4978 said:

Is director of hockey communications even an on-air job or something visible like what Julie does on YouTube?  Sounds like a more behind the scenes role anyway.  Does anyone even know who the last one was, or if we even had one?

Yes, I wonder how all the Marketing/Communications people in the front office at THE ROCK feel about now having a boss that doesn't know jack with zero years experience in the specific front office work/field. Below the link/information on the Devs front office. Must be a real morale booster.

NJ Devils Staff Directory

Vice President, Hockey Communications and Team Operations:

Peter Albietz

Manager, Communications and Team Operations:

James Stolfi

Assistant, Hockey Operations and Communications:

Scott Litwack