Jump to content

Brooks stirs the Kovy to Rags pot


Since1982-83

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Since1982-83 said:

I'd rather let Kovy stay in Russia one more year and gain no assets than trade him to the Rags for scraps (and by scraps I mean anything less than an overpayment). Maybe some kind of 3 way trade with a third party team or something could work.

Edited by Jerzey
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You know that scene in bad Santa where Bernie Mac (RIP) meets with Billy Bob Thornton at the bar to negotiate earnings? Shero has to channel his inner Bernie. Instead of "half", you whisper "Skjei" until you've got him. 

Lindberg is appetizing, and honesty, probably would be satisfied if the deal was from anywhere else but I'd rather get nothing from them than giving them an opportunity to win. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is typical Brooks fanning the flames. Right, overpay or nothing.

He also thinks he's among the hockey masses they want to see Chi vs Pitt in the finals every year like the stale NBA.

Maybe they got a final the league wanted, a snorefest through 3 rounds.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The article states he could play in Russia another year and then come back as a unrestricted free agent. I thought he had to sit out of all professional play for a year for that to happen?

Can anyone clarify? 

You are correct that there was a line of thinking that said he had to sit out a year, and there is a provision in the by-laws that says just that.  However, other parts of the by-laws contradict the provision that says he has to sit out a year.  Bettman ultimately decides how it works.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Has Brooks ever been right about anything?  I imagine the organization hates him, so I don't see how he gets any inside information. 

Apparently he was the first journalist to predict that Kovy would get triple digits  (millions) back when we gave him that mega contract in 2010. Though,  I don't know whether he was just speculating or he knows someone in the Kovalchuk camp.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Has Brooks ever been right about anything?  I imagine the organization hates him, so I don't see how he gets any inside information. 

He's not getting this from the Devils.  If he's getting it from anywhere, it's Grossman.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Triumph said:

He's not getting this from the Devils.  If he's getting it from anywhere, it's Grossman.

From organization, I meant the Rangers, should have been clearer on that one.  

I thought about Grossman, but I doubt it.  If Grossman was really going to leak something that involved the Rangers, it would be something to the effect that Kovalchuk will ONLY accept a trade to the Rangers or that he'll sit out a year and sign with them next year if he has to. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Daniel said:

From organization, I meant the Rangers, should have been clearer on that one.  

I thought about Grossman, but I doubt it.  If Grossman was really going to leak something that involved the Rangers, it would be something to the effect that Kovalchuk will ONLY accept a trade to the Rangers or that he'll sit out a year and sign with them next year if he has to. 

I don't think he is getting it from the Rangers.  He's getting it from Grossman.  Why would Grossman say this when the final numbers aren't in yet?  There's almost no way that the Rangers can offer the most money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Triumph said:

I don't think he is getting it from the Rangers.  He's getting it from Grossman.  Why would Grossman say this when the final numbers aren't in yet?  There's almost no way that the Rangers can offer the most money.

It would have to do less with salary than some supposed desire that Kovalchuk might have to play for the Rangers for its own sake.  Anyone familiar with things knows that the Devils would not trade Kovalchuk to the Rangers unless there was a gross overpayment or if the Devils had no choice.  The latter would be the message if the Rangers were really a player in this thing, which is why I think Brooks could very well be scouring twitter and hockey message boards when he says "slap shots has learned."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Triumph said:

I don't think he is getting it from the Rangers.  He's getting it from Grossman.  Why would Grossman say this when the final numbers aren't in yet?  There's almost no way that the Rangers can offer the most money.

We don't do (impactful) business w/ our closest neighbors. (Rag$/Flyers) unless it's swapping minor league prospects. Kovy has a history w/ PDB, Marty, & Lou. Kovy could replace Marleau in SJ.   Brooksie=gas bag. I just want us to get a roster player to help continue our rebuild

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

It would have to do less with salary than some supposed desire that Kovalchuk might have to play for the Rangers for its own sake.  Anyone familiar with things knows that the Devils would not trade Kovalchuk to the Rangers unless there was a gross overpayment or if the Devils had no choice.  The latter would be the message if the Rangers were really a player in this thing, which is why I think Brooks could very well be scouring twitter and hockey message boards when he says "slap shots has learned."

If Brooks has actually learned that the Rangers have talked to Grossman, he is free to speculate in that column about what it would take to make him a Ranger.  That's what he appears to be doing.

As for not trading with the Flyers and Rangers, Lou is gone.  Shero has mentioned nothing about never making trades with these teams.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Triumph said:

If Brooks has actually learned that the Rangers have talked to Grossman, he is free to speculate in that column about what it would take to make him a Ranger.  That's what he appears to be doing.

As for not trading with the Flyers and Rangers, Lou is gone.  Shero has mentioned nothing about never making trades with these teams.

And actually, just read on Sportsnet that Friedman mentioned all of the teams that were in Brooks' column on Saturday and for the same reasons.  That's where Brooks probably "learned" about those teams.

Shero and Harris know their fan base.  They know that their fans express their hatred for both the Rangers and Flyers every single game at least two times a period.  Shero will not make any deal with the Rangers for which there's even a remote chance that it makes the Rangers a better team.  I'm sure Grossman went to a few home games when three of his clients were on the team, and knows that he would have to make a lot more noise if his client was going to get traded to the Rangers.

And to my knowledge Lou also never said anything about not making a trade with the Rangers.  He'd always say stuff to the effect of "the right deal just hasn't come around." 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Holding the division rivalry aspect aside, assume the Rangers were the only team he'd go to. Who would they have to give us?

Again, try to hold the "fvck them" mentality aside for a second. Pretend they are San Jose with the Rangers' roster. Who would they gave to give us?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Holding the division rivalry aspect aside, assume the Rangers were the only team he'd go to. Who would they have to give us?

Again, try to hold the "fvck them" mentality aside for a second. Pretend they are San Jose with the Rangers' roster. Who would they gave to give us?

You can't put aside the fact that they're the Rangers.  I'd demand Brady Skiej.  I don't want a third line forward, an unproven prospect in Buchenivich, who got benched a fair amount, or a bunch of second round picks, which we don't need.

If that doesn't work, which it wouldn't, he can sit out a year and live with the one or two year deals he'll get as a 35+ player, if he doesn't play another year in the KHL where he might get hurt or see a decline in his numbers.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

You can't put aside the fact that they're the Rangers.  I'd demand Brady Skiej.  I don't want a third line forward, an unproven prospect in Buchenivich, who got benched a fair amount, or a bunch of second round picks, which we don't need.

If that doesn't work, which it wouldn't, he can sit out a year and live with the one or two year deals he'll get as a 35+ player, if he doesn't play another year in the KHL where he might get hurt or see a decline in his numbers.  

You can't put it aside in the real world, but in a hypothetical question on a message board, when you're asked to, you totally can. 

Skjei was my answer too, incidentally. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The "never" the Rangers unless we pillage them is really short sighted.   We are in a rebuild and not a retooling.  I know it's fun to think it's still early 2000s and this roster just churns on... but it's not, and it hasn't.

If we make the playoffs next year, it will be as a Cinderella team.    Play the odds and trade Kovy for the best return...  intra-division or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, aylbert said:

The "never" the Rangers unless we pillage them is really short sighted.   We are in a rebuild and not a retooling.  I know it's fun to think it's still early 2000s and this roster just churns on... but it's not, and it hasn't.

If we make the playoffs next year, it will be as a Cinderella team.    Play the odds and trade Kovy for the best return...  intra-division or not.

The point is that the "best return" might as well be no return.  For example, a second round pick has maybe a 30 percent chance of being a replacement level NHLer, and that's maybe 3 years from the time you make the pick.  

You have to draw lines somewhere, especially if we're talking about the Rangers. If Shero traded Kovy to the Rangers for a bottom line forward or a crappy draft pick and Kovy helped the Rangers even get to the conference finals, I would want Shero and his entire staff fired.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The point is that the "best return" might as well be no return.  For example, a second round pick has maybe a 30 percent chance of being a replacement level NHLer, and that's maybe 3 years from the time you make the pick.  
You have to draw lines somewhere, especially if we're talking about the Rangers. If Shero traded Kovy to the Rangers for a bottom line forward or a crappy draft pick and Kovy helped the Rangers even get to the conference finals, I would want Shero and his entire staff fired.

You're nicer than me- I'd want him lynched.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Daniel said:

You can't put aside the fact that they're the Rangers.  I'd demand Brady Skiej.  I don't want a third line forward, an unproven prospect in Buchenivich, who got benched a fair amount, or a bunch of second round picks, which we don't need.

If that doesn't work, which it wouldn't, he can sit out a year and live with the one or two year deals he'll get as a 35+ player, if he doesn't play another year in the KHL where he might get hurt or see a decline in his numbers.  

I'd take Buchnevich in a heartbeat.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.