Mike Francesa Answers NJD Draft Questions

TheMazz

Lmfao Francesa is such a dipsh!t. Missed opportunity though for the second caller- Francesa asked why he lied to his producer, and the guy didn't really answer. I would've taken the opportunity to become confrontational with Fatso and tell him what a joke he is for not covering hockey. Why don't you tell us who's gonna win the 5th on Thursday at Saratoga, like anyone cares ya fat fvck.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, jagknife said:

The guys from Devils Insiders were behind that. Their Twitter is pretty good, but I've tried to listen to their podcast and to me it runs really long, but they do try to interact with EVERYONE that contacts them during their shows.

Maybe I hit them on an off day, I listened to them once and they sounded like total bush leaguers and never have attempted again.

4 hours ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

Maybe I hit them on an off day, I listened to them once and they sounded like total bush leaguers and never have attempted again.

I definitely disagree with that. I think they do a lot of cool stuff with it. Maybe the only thing bush league about it is the audio production - I don't know if that's because of the platform they use (blog talk radio) to interact with callers but sometimes it can be laggy and drop their audio. At least when I listen to it on the podcast. They do a lot of cool stuff with it though like today they're having the University of Minnesota Duluth's head coach on to talk about Joey Anderson... they've talked to other people like this too such as Missisauga's HC... they've done interviews with former Devils like Krzysztof Oliwa, Salvador, etc... they talk to Kevin Clark pretty regularly... IDK. They've been a god send for my commute back and forth from Avon by the Sea to Philly, but I do agree with the other poster saying some episodes run a little long. I just have it on as background noise though, it's not like you need to listen to every episode to completion lol. They're pretty professional about it, IMO. The gameday podcast they did this past year for the Devils (Devils Tailgate) was good too, home games would have an interview with a player.

As far as them calling in and trolling Francesa, I found it humorous but that's cause I can't stand that guy or the WFAN in general. Never listen to that sh!t.

• Like 1

I've been pretty impressed with the Devils Daily, it's pretty informative and they know what they're talking about.

My only gripe is the audio quality.  Since I Podcast it I wish they'd record themselves and upload the clear audio.. not the radio audio.

that blogtalkradio platform makes it sound like AM radio, but I've been listening to those guys for over a year and they definitely know what they're talking about and do a great job interacting with the listeners, which is more than i can say for the actual Devils organisation 

edit: or this douche Francesca for that matter

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Lmfao Francesa is such a dipsh!t. Missed opportunity though for the second caller- Francesa asked why he lied to his producer, and the guy didn't really answer. I would've taken the opportunity to become confrontational with Fatso and tell him what a joke he is for not covering hockey.

He's an out-of-touch fool.. and the sooner he's off the radio come December, the better.

I used to be one of his biggest fans when he was with Russo. Shame how he sucks now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beezer34 said:

He's an out-of-touch fool.. and the sooner he's off the radio come December, the better.

I used to be one of his biggest fans when he was with Russo. Shame how he sucks now.

The biggest mistake he ever made was not finding someone to replace Russo, especially as he got older...it is painful to try to hear him form complete sentences now...lots of stammering, Butthead-like "uhhhhhhhhhhhhh"s, "I mean"s, and of course, the constant repeating of words and statements.  Mike was also never great at monologues, though he did have some classics (way too much repetition of a single point, and it's gotten much worse in recent years)...a co-host would've worked wonders in covering up his many on-air flaws, which Mike never felt like he had to work to correct or improve upon...Fat fvck was NEVER meant on be on-air alone...you need to be articulate and intelligent, and Francesa is neither of those...much of his "analysis" is now very surface crap straight out of the Captain Obvious Handbook.  And of course, as he always did, he tramples all over his interview subjects, often interrupting their stories so that he can show the world just how knowledgeable he really is...doesn't get much more insecure than that.    

I throw him on once or twice a week as I'm driving home (mostly to hear any Mets talk), but it's really hard to listen for long to a guy who gets paid to talk on air struggle so painfully to do just that...I'm amazed that people actually call in to be on air for 15-45 seconds to speak to guy who is now a feeble-minded idiot (listen to him try to debate a fan...he is often easily overwhelmed, made worse by the fact that his speaking ability has gotten so bad) who actually has the balls to condescend to them...yes, he gets his fair share of dumb callers, but guys trying to make a decent point get shut down undeservedly.  In a way, the one thing I admire about Fat fvck is that he's managed to bamboozle so many "fans" all these years...to this day there are people who still insist he's great on air and very knowledgeable...that they'll actually MISS HIM?!...I don't get it...what the hell are they listening to?  He is beyond awful.  

I don't get how anyone could listen to him other then out of habit. Rambling, no energy, points repeated during any statement he makes like he has memory loss, and its 5 hours of one guy. ESPN radio is little better cause they always seem to move hosts I like out for Stephen A Smith or Colin Cowherd back when he was an ESPN personality. The hours of 1 to 3 I have a choice of SAS or Mike Francesa which is like a hammer to the balls or a baseball bat to the balls.

A better question that someone should ask him is whether he would take calls about who the Rangers were picking if they had won the draft lottery. 

Probably. I mean if it were the Rags with the first pick, he'd probably bother to at least find out the names of the two top prospects if nothing else... But for us or the Islanders, forget it- more important to discuss who's batting 8th in the Yankee lineup tonight, and who will win the meaningless Belmont this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love Francesa. The guy is pretty good when it comes to football and baseball and gets good guests. Yeah, he stutters and mumbles, talks over his guests and is rude to callers, but thats part of his charm! The whole Mongo Nation thing and how he has thousands of young fans when he's the least relatable guy is hilarious. Just follow guys like Ordio Mongo and Mike Francesser NY on Twitter for a glimpse at how big his fanbase is.

14 minutes ago, SMantzas said:

I love Francesa. The guy is pretty good when it comes to football and baseball and gets good guests. Yeah, he stutters and mumbles, talks over his guests and is rude to callers, but thats part of his charm! The whole Mongo Nation thing and how he has thousands of young fans when he's the least relatable guy is hilarious. Just follow guys like Ordio Mongo and Mike Francesser NY on Twitter for a glimpse at how big his fanbase is.

He's awful. My least favorite thing out of many is how he fills time by saying the exact same thing 4-5 times in a row. He does it constantly. Constantly. He does it constantly. Constantly he does it. 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Lmfao Francesa is such a dipsh!t. Missed opportunity though for the second caller- Francesa asked why he lied to his producer, and the guy didn't really answer. I would've taken the opportunity to become confrontational with Fatso and tell him what a joke he is for not covering hockey. Why don't you tell us who's gonna win the 5th on Thursday at Saratoga, like anyone cares ya fat fvck.

On this one, I'd rather he NOT cover hockey at all, because he knows very little about it, and him trying to fake having much knowledge about it (or any real interest for that matter) is more painful than him not talking about it.

Part of the reason I think Mike likes talking horse racing is that it's a much easier topic to bullsh!t about to the masses...most sports fans don't even have a casual familiarity with the ins and outs of horse racing, so when Mike is loving listening to himself talk and not many know enough to call him out on anything he's likely getting wrong, it's a great situation for Mike...to the idiots who actually think Mike is some kind of sports radio god, they actually think "Duuuuuuuuuh, wow, dis guy actually knows a lot about dis stuff!" 

1 hour ago, SMantzas said:

And admittedly this is what I don't get...he's become so bad at what he does and almost such a parody of himself that some people actually find him more charming now?  Hell, if he had even the slightest ability to laugh at himself and not take himself so fvcking seriously every minute of every show, I could almost understand how that could somehow make him more tolerable...for someone who likes to come across as some tuff-guy Noo Yawker, he has a very thin skin. 

It's funny...just once I would love it if one of his guests responded to yet another Fatso trampling of an answer to say "Hey Mike, you asked me a question, can you let me answer it please?"  There's been times when he's had an old-timer on who was in the middle of relating either a really good on- or off-the-field story (always cool to hear tales like that from the players who actually lived them), and there's Mike, interjecting details in because he needs everyone to hear just how much he ALREADY knows about this story...of course, Mike doing this often throws his interviewee off-rhythm, and the recollection winds up becoming that much more disjointed as a result...I really wish one of these guests would just say "Mike, you asked me to relate this experience and I'm trying to do that...your audience listens to you for 5+ hours a day...can you shut the fvck up for five minutes and stop trying to impress everyone with your memory so can tell this story in my own words?  You can comment and add whatever details you want, but right now you're really screwing me up and it's really pissing me off!  And probably a good chunk of your listeners too."  Sometimes you have to know when to back off and just listen, especially for the benefit of your audience.  Francesa is far too full of himself to be capable of that.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

He's awful. My least favorite thing out of many is how he fills time by saying the exact same thing 4-5 times in a row. He does it constantly. Constantly. He does it constantly. Constantly he does it. 

4-5 times in a row is pretty generous.  It's often even more.  Some prank caller once asked him if there was a Broadcaster's Hall of Fame for stammering and repeating himself, did Mike think he'd get in?  Of course there was no humor in his retort...just about how great he is (he actually stammered about how he never stammers) and how long he's been on radio. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

My favorite parts of his show these days when I do listen is when he whines about being pre-empted on the Fox Sports television simulcast by European soccer.  He cannot wrap his head around the fact that there are people who would rather watch European soccer than him stammering through his interviews, spilling his diet coke and falling asleep on the air.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

My favorite parts of his show these days when I do listen is when he whines about being pre-empted on the Fox Sports television simulcast by European soccer.  He cannot wrap his head around the fact that there are people who would rather watch European soccer than him stammering through his interviews, spilling his diet coke and falling asleep on the air.

I feel like he hasn't been on FSN for a while now.

10 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

He's been off FOX since sometime in 2015...think he was only on that for a year or so.  Yeah, used to drive him absolutely batsh!t crazy when he'd get pre-empted...he didn't get someone as im-pawt-ant as him could possibly get dumped for European soccer, heh heh.  That's a new thing I don't quite get...wanting to watch a radio show on TV...I get it to an extent if you're into Howard Stern or liked O&A (then later O&J), because they'll have their fair share of visual stuff and comedy bits, but most radio shows were meant to be listened to on the radio.  There's nothing to gain by watching Mike over just listening to him. 

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He's been off FOX since sometime in 2015...think he was only on that for a year or so.  Yeah, used to drive him absolutely batsh!t crazy when he'd get pre-empted...he didn't get someone as im-pawt-ant as him could possibly get dumped for European soccer, heh heh.  That's a new thing I don't quite get...wanting to watch a radio show on TV...I get it to an extent if you're into Howard Stern or liked O&A (then later O&J), because they'll have their fair share of visual stuff and comedy bits, but most radio shows were meant to be listened to on the radio.  There's nothing to gain by watching Mike over just listening to him. 

I guess back in the day when these regional sports networks didn't have much going on in the morning it was a quick and cheap way to fill air time.  However, when sports from other parts of the globe became bigger here in the states (like live European soccer) then those shows became pretty much useless.

I still like the time during the 2014 FIFA World Cup where he asked the USA coach if the players were allowed to kick with either foot lol.

40 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

The fact that he could no grasp how big Champion league is was just comical...

6 minutes ago, redruM said:

The fact that he could no grasp how big Champion league is was just comical...

It's still not very important to a lot of Americans (not pro soccer in any form, anyway), even though a lot of kids do play it...partly because for young kids, it's easy to get into initially and pretty cheap from an equipment standpoint...not saying that this remains true forever of course (soccer obviously requires some serious skill as one progresses).  But soccer, futbol, whatever you want to call it, will never quite capture the imagination here...not when too many 90-min games end with 0-0 or 1-0 scores, or when championships can actually be decided by penalty kicks. 

34 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's still not very important to a lot of Americans (not pro soccer in any form, anyway), even though a lot of kids do play it...partly because for young kids, it's easy to get into initially and pretty cheap from an equipment standpoint...not saying that this remains true forever of course (soccer obviously requires some serious skill as one progresses).  But soccer, futbol, whatever you want to call it, will never quite capture the imagination here...not when too many 90-min games end with 0-0 or 1-0 scores, or when championships can actually be decided by penalty kicks. 

I think American audiences are slowly starting to get over the high scores = high excitement mindset.  While I agree with the penalty kick part will still be a little hard to swallow, I think those 1-0 scores aren't really much of a deterrent as they used to (Also 0-0 scores are not THAT common).

Look at the NBA right now.  High scoring games but the hype seems to have died down a little bit compared to past years.  Also having 2 teams basically buzzsawing through the rest of the league doesn't really help much either.  I am not saying soccer will one day rank equal to say MLB, NFL or NBA, but I think it might get pretty damn close to the NHL in popularity eventually.

Edited by DevsMan84