Mike Francesa Answers NJD Draft Questions

TheMazz

31 minutes ago, mikemarc1 said:

Agree, that aspect is a big part of it. 

But again, people care here. We have so many alumni from major Universities in this area. The popularity of college sports in huge here, though the percentage may not be.

That's the remaining 10% that cares.

Didn't realize there was so much soccer talk in here. I'm a Red Bulls season ticket holder and for the value and entertainment nothing beats it in this area. I spend like 350 for my seat, get way more stuff from the team compared to the Devils, get a new scarf every year, last year we got zip up Hoodies, this year practice jerseys. 

The MLS is still in its growing stage, the league has only been around since 96 and hell the last 10 years alone the league has grown so much. Almost every team has their own soccer specific stadium. Seattle packs in 40k where the Seahawks play. Portland, Orlando, Atlanta are all drawing sell out crowds. More than half the league has better attendance than the Devils do.  

People are into the world Cup more than ever before and hopefully a nice run by the USA team will only garner further interest. 

I'm strictly a Red Bulls fan / team USA fan. I'll watch other teams play during the world Cup but I don't give a sh!t about any of the European leagues or Champions League even though I'll watch the final if it's on. The biggest problem here is that most people are the opposite, they would rather watch these teams on tv instead. In order for the MLS to continue to grow we have to actually support the league now. In the future the MLS can easily be one of the best leagues in the world once the salaries start reaching other leagues.

Have any of you been to Red Bull Arena? It's an amazing place to watch a game. 

I'm not a fan of baseball or basketball, I could go the rest of my life with never watching a game ever again. I've stopped even caring about the NFL lately and hell more than half the game is players standing around doing absolutely nothing. I don't care if people don't like soccer but to be fans of those sports and still call soccer boring is laughable. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Didn't realize there was so much soccer talk in here. I'm a Red Bulls season ticket holder and for the value and entertainment nothing beats it in this area. I spend like 350 for my seat, get way more stuff from the team compared to the Devils, get a new scarf every year, last year we got zip up Hoodies, this year practice jerseys. 

The MLS is still in its growing stage, the league has only been around since 96 and hell the last 10 years alone the league has grown so much. Almost every team has their own soccer specific stadium. Seattle packs in 40k where the Seahawks play. Portland, Orlando, Atlanta are all drawing sell out crowds. More than half the league has better attendance than the Devils do.  

People are into the world Cup more than ever before and hopefully a nice run by the USA team will only garner further interest. 

I'm strictly a Red Bulls fan / team USA fan. I'll watch other teams play during the world Cup but I don't give a sh!t about any of the European leagues or Champions League even though I'll watch the final if it's on. The biggest problem here is that most people are the opposite, they would rather watch these teams on tv instead. In order for the MLS to continue to grow we have to actually support the league now. In the future the MLS can easily be one of the best leagues in the world once the salaries start reaching other leagues.

Have any of you been to Red Bull Arena? It's an amazing place to watch a game. 

I'm not a fan of baseball or basketball, I could go the rest of my life with never watching a game ever again. I've stopped even caring about the NFL lately and hell more than half the game is players standing around doing absolutely nothing. I don't care if people don't like soccer but to be fans of those sports and still call soccer boring is laughable. 

Soccer being boring has nothing to do with the pace.  It's that there are very few events that happen in a typical soccer game, much less events of note.  Even when you have a corner kick, supposedly exciting, 90 percent of the time the goalie doesn't even have to make a save, and even then the saves are easy.  

The most boring 1-0 hockey game you can imagine probably had at least 40 total shots on goal and maybe 5-10 quality saves by the goalies, not to mention power plays, hits, etc.

The commercials in football drive me nuts too, but again each play is it's own event that's worth watching until the game is either over or out of reach.  Pretty much the same thing with every at bat in baseball.

Psuedo-sophisticated Euros and third worlders like soccer.  Hooray for them!

5 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

They suck too. DiPietro tries too hard. Although they give hockey more time just because of DiPietro, so that's something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does he "try too hard"? Not really sure what you mean by that because hes pretty well-spoken and aware of the game and has a good mind for hockey.  The guy knows his stuff.

How does he "try too hard"? Not really sure what you mean by that because hes pretty well-spoken and aware of the game and has a good mind for hockey.  The guy knows his stuff.

I think he tries too hard to be funny sometimes, and I think he tries too hard to be a NY'er. Dude's born and raised in Boston, but he claims to be a Mets and Jets fan? C'mon man (I'll at least give him credit for picking those two rather than the Giants and Yankees, but I guess that would look too obvious lol). It just doesn't come off as sincere to me is all. I do appreciate his hockey knowledge obviously, and I know I probably sound like I'm nitpicking DiPietro on the fraud stuff, but I'm just not a huge fan of him personally.

16 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I think he tries too hard to be funny sometimes, and I think he tries too hard to be a NY'er. Dude's born and raised in Boston, but he claims to be a Mets and Jets fan? C'mon man (I'll at least give him credit for picking those two rather than the Giants and Yankees, but I guess that would look too obvious lol). It just doesn't come off as sincere to me is all. I do appreciate his hockey knowledge obviously, and I know I probably sound like I'm nitpicking DiPietro on the fraud stuff, but I'm just not a huge fan of him personally.

Agree to disagree I guess.  But its not like they plucked some random Casey-Affleck-sounding bostonian, the guy played in NY since his draft year, he knows area sports well.  I think Hahn is the "opie" of the show though, HES the one that tries too hard. Guy just barely knows what hes talking about.  Chris Canty and Rick have good chemistry and I genuinely find them funny.

Soccer is awesome but i'm a "Psuedo-sophisticated Euros" so... hooray for me ; ) 

oh and it's called Football. Because more than being a pseudo sophisticated Euro, i'm French... Therefore i'm arrogant and Hooray for me ! 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, moustic said:

Soccer is awesome but i'm a "Psuedo-sophisticated Euros" so... hooray for me ; ) 

oh and it's called Football. Because more than being a pseudo sophisticated Euro, i'm French... Therefore i'm arrogant and Hooray for me ! 

Sorry buddy.  Just razzing soccer fans. 

And yes, it's boring Af.

Hey.. Feel free to hate it or think that it's boring (I think that baseball is the most boring sport of all time.. Even Curling is exciting compare to Baseball) ... I hate Basketball, i think that American Football is boring ...

See, even if i'm so freaky awesome, i'm not perfect neither ; ) 

Back to Big Mike, I don't love him. I'm intrigued by him. Listening to him is like watching a dinosaur roam the streets of Manhattan: he doesn't belong in this modern world, but somehow, someway, he persists and to me, it's absolutely fascinating. 

It's also incredibly cringey, which I admittedly gravitate towards. He's a cantankerous old man who has zero self-awareness and ability to laugh at himself. The fact he takes himself so seriously is amazing, especially when people call him up just to mess with him. You have to give him credit for not dumping out whenever he gets a prank. He reacts like the caller is a genuine moron, not somebody messing with him, and the reaction always makes me shake my head and smile. He's an ass, but he's our ass if that makes any sense.

Living in Austin, I don't get to listen for any length of time, so I keep up via YouTube clips, which may be the preferred way to listen. And on a serious note, it reminds me of home. The thick New York accent, the focus on local teams (even if it isn't hockey). It's one my few nostalgic indulgences, and I'll genuinely miss him when I'm gone. It's better than radio here where if there's any Texas football in the news, even a meaningless spring game, the rest of the sports world descends into oblivion.

As for Devils podcasts, I listen to Devils Insider on occasion and they are fine. The audio quality is lacking, which is a huge pet peeve of mine as someone who's done a couple of podcasts (including my beloved, long dead DevsCast), but they have good chemistry and know their stuff. 

And for the record, I'm not sure why this board displays my awful 1999 sign on name, but my regular handle is Bulletproof. I rarely post anymore, but I wanted to say hey to those I haven't chatted with in a hot minute.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 7:38 PM, Daniel said:

Soccer being boring has nothing to do with the pace.  It's that there are very few events that happen in a typical soccer game, much less events of note.  Even when you have a corner kick, supposedly exciting, 90 percent of the time the goalie doesn't even have to make a save, and even then the saves are easy.  

The most boring 1-0 hockey game you can imagine probably had at least 40 total shots on goal and maybe 5-10 quality saves by the goalies, not to mention power plays, hits, etc.

The commercials in football drive me nuts too, but again each play is it's own event that's worth watching until the game is either over or out of reach.  Pretty much the same thing with every at bat in baseball.

Psuedo-sophisticated Euros and third worlders like soccer.  Hooray for them!

Daniel you could not be more wrong, either you are watching the wrong soccer, or you donot understand the game....

1 minute ago, redruM said:

Daniel you could not be more wrong, either you are watching the wrong soccer, or you donot understand the game....

I generally watch the men's World Cup and I've watched the English Premier League games when I was a student there.  In the typical games I've seen, there are maybe 5 to 10 events that happen that I find interesting to watch, which doesn't include the preposterous faking of injuries.  You're right that maybe there are nuances that I don't get or care to know about, but at the same time I don't get all of the nuances about hockey, baseball or football and I still find them much more interesting than soccer.

That's just me though. 

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I generally watch the men's World Cup and I've watched the English Premier League games when I was a student there.  In the typical games I've seen, there are maybe 5 to 10 events that happen that I find interesting to watch, which doesn't include the preposterous faking of injuries.  You're right that maybe there are nuances that I don't get or care to know about, but at the same time I don't get all of the nuances about hockey, baseball or football and I still find them much more interesting than soccer.

That's just me though. 

Baseball is a freaking snore fest...Hockey I would agree, love it to death, football, is certainly exciting for the 10 minutes they actually play over a 3 1/2 hour period, just wish there was not so much standing around..... but I get it those who do not understand the nuances of the game of soccer hate it, its the ignorance that is to blame.....

31 minutes ago, redruM said:

Baseball is a freaking snore fest...Hockey I would agree, love it to death, football, is certainly exciting for the 10 minutes they actually play over a 3 1/2 hour period, just wish there was not so much standing around..... but I get it those who do not understand the nuances of the game of soccer hate it, its the ignorance that is to blame.....

I play soccer at a pretty competitive level and coach year round. I'm very involved with the game, but honestly don't watch much of it at all aside from the Euro and World Cup. A lot of it has to do with the fact that I don't have a club to identify with. If Red Bull rebranded to something tolerable, that would probably change. But part of it is that even though I understand the game pretty well, it doesn't always keep my attention. I'm a goalkeeper and don't find a lot of what happens on the field all that exciting, including the constant dramatics and fake injuries. And if I'm lucky, I get to see a goalkeeper in action 5 times a game.

I really like the fan culture, and going to games is a ton a fun. Especially during the World Cup when everyone takes off work and the streets are filled with extra tvs and tables from bars spilling over, the huge watch parties for USA games.  But if you're not in a city, you don't even get that. Without a rooting interest, really tough for me to be involved as a spectator.

6 hours ago, roomtemp said:

Poor Patrik having to be interviewed by the sleepy idiot.

Fat idiot mentioned nothing about the #1 overall pick or anything Devils related. Asked Patrik if he lived in the mountains. 3 min conversation. Daryl Strawberry comes on soon after and fatty is chatting with him for 30 mins.

10 hours ago, devlman said:

Fat idiot mentioned nothing about the #1 overall pick or anything Devils related. Asked Patrik if he lived in the mountains. 3 min conversation. Daryl Strawberry comes on soon after and fatty is chatting with him for 30 mins.

The moron knows little about hockey and even less about the Devils.  I think 3 minutes is a small miracle with him.

Was probably the three most painful minutes of Elias' life.  After that he was probably thinking to himself "Geez, and I thought having Hepatitis was bad..." 

1 hour ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

What's worse is that Patty had to do this in-person. Wasted his time for a 3 minute long interview with a "radio legend" who couldn't give two squirts of sh!t about him or his profession

I hope he got fed or something for his time.