Mike Francesa Answers NJD Draft Questions

TheMazz

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Like there was any food left with that guy being the host...

Are you gonna eat dat...OH MY GOD...

How can you be the biggest sports talk show in a market and completely ignore THREE major professional franchises in your market?! Rangers and Isles both with major deals, Devils with first overall, and fat boy doesn't even mention the NHL when he briefed his audience on what was happening in ny sports today! He even mentioned old timers weekend at Yankee stadium, I kid you not. Smdh.

What is wrong w the sports media in this country? Espn.com doesn't even have anything on the NHL draft in their main headlines. Their top story is who can replace david Ortiz in star power! Gtf out of here. Don't tell me hockey doesn't get clicks either. It doesn't get clicks because it doesn't get coverage by the media.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Chris Christie, who is filling in for the other fatso doesn't want you to call in with your Devils questions and comments on WFAN.

So call in with your Devils questions and comments on WFAN!

I hope he gets HAMMERED with hate calls today, that fat fvcking a$$hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I cannot believe WFAN lets this man on their airwaves.

What this man has done to the state of NJ is mind blowing.

His actions are childlike cause he is pissed that Trump doesn't really want him in his office.

I guess, from FAN's standpoint, it's worth kicking the tires on him to see if he would make a good everyday host.  And it is kind of interesting idea to have a politician who is a sports fan as a host.  But in practice, it'll be a disaster.  Putting aside whether you like him or not, there is likely not a single politician in this country that could do a call-in radio show everyday and not get regularly heckled by callers.  The train wreck might get ratings in the short term, but eventually it'll be like the Magic Johnson late night show.

Then you add to the fact that Christie isn't really all that knowledgeable about sports to begin with.   Say what you want about the other hosts, they know the sports that they cover (hockey is an exception for the most part).  It's actually a lot of work for these guys to stay on top of what's happening in sports generally.  You think Christie is going to be able to talk about what happened in last weeks Raiders-Jaguars game or yesterday's Astros-Royals game, even just a little bit.

I hope Evan Roberts and Beningo get job.  I've loved Evan ever since he told a Ranger fan called that made fun of Devils attendance that "the Devils own this town where it matters."  And Beningo was good to my friend when he was starting out in the business, plus I kinda like his schtick as a long suffering Mets, Jets and Knicks fan.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Daniel said:

I guess, from FAN's standpoint, it's worth kicking the tires on him to see if he would make a good everyday host.  And it is kind of interesting idea to have a politician who is a sports fan as a host.  But in practice, it'll be a disaster.  Putting aside whether you like him or not, there is likely not a single politician in this country that could do a call-in radio show everyday and not get regularly heckled by callers.  The train wreck might get ratings in the short term, but eventually it'll be like the Magic Johnson late night show.

Then you add to the fact that Christie isn't really all that knowledgeable about sports to begin with.   Say what you want about the other hosts, they know the sports that they cover (hockey is an exception for the most part).  It's actually a lot of work for these guys to stay on top of what's happening in sports generally.  You think Christie is going to be able to talk about what happened in last weeks Raiders-Jaguars game or yesterday's Astros-Royals game, even just a little bit.

I hope Evan Roberts and Beningo get job.  I've loved Evan ever since he told a Ranger fan called that made fun of Devils attendance that "the Devils own this town where it matters."  And Beningo was good to my friend when he was starting out in the business, plus I kinda like his schtick as a long suffering Mets, Jets and Knicks fan.

Problem is they want the wattage, Christie's a big name, they want to replace Francesa with a big name who'll incite contreversy.

Evan and Benigno deserve the first crack at it, even Francesa's said as much on the radio - but I could definitely see Evan with Christie (yuck) as a longer-term pairing and Benigno staying at 10 AM till he retires.

57 minutes ago, TheMazz said:

Hatred for Chris Christie is truly bi partisan. 

True. Though I thought his comment about the whole beach incident was hilarious. Essentially "when you're Governor, they give you a beach house to stay in. You want a beach house? Go become governor".

Spoken like a true Governor who will not be running again and doesn't need your vote. 

True. Though I thought his comment about the whole beach incident was hilarious. Essentially "when you're Governor, they give you a beach house to stay in. You want a beach house? Go become governor".
Spoken like a true Governor who will not be running again and doesn't need your vote. 

As a NJ taxpayer, I didn't find it funny. Christie is a reprehensible human being who should be in jail.

31 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Problem is they want the wattage, Christie's a big name, they want to replace Francesa with a big name who'll incite contreversy.

Evan and Benigno deserve the first crack at it, even Francesa's said as much on the radio - but I could definitely see Evan with Christie (yuck) as a longer-term pairing and Benigno staying at 10 AM till he retires.

Maybe Evan with Chris Simms, whose frankness about sh!tty quarterbacks I enjoy and is one of the other guys that's going to get an audition.  He's pretty brutal on Bortles and Hackenberg.  

I'd take odds on it not being Christie, for the reasons I said.  Real sports fans will basically tune out, and it'll devolve into a political yelling match.

Maybe Evan with Chris Simms, whose frankness about sh!tty quarterbacks I enjoy and is one of the other guys that's going to get an audition.  He's pretty brutal on Bortles and Hackenberg.  

I'd take odds on it not being Christie, for the reasons I said.  Real sports fans will basically tune out, and it'll devolve into a political yelling match.

As someone who works in radio, nothing chaps my ass more than people with no experience getting handed jobs they don't deserve in the biggest media market on planet earth because of who they are or what they used to do for a living. Governor Fatfvck doesn't deserve this job, and quite frankly neither does Chris Simms or any other retired has-been athlete with barely any radio experience. Joe and Evan deserve that gig and I hope they get it.

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

As someone who works in radio, nothing chaps my ass more than people with no experience getting handed jobs they don't deserve in the biggest media market on planet earth because of who they are or what they used to do for a living. Governor Fatfvck doesn't deserve this job, and quite frankly neither does Chris Simms or any other retired has-been athlete with barely any radio experience. Joe and Evan deserve that gig and I hope they get it.

Believe me, my first choice is Joe and Evan.  But Chris Simms does have radio experience although admittedly it's limited.  Still it's a little different if we're talking about a former athelete doing sports commentary, same as most of the guys that do color commentary are former atheletes without a ton of broadcasting experience.  My friend does play by play, worked really hard to get where he is, but that dynamic doesn't seem to bother him all that much.

The same way I wouldn't get that upset if Christie hosted a purely political radio show and if he got a job over some guy who was never a politician, but was a long time pundit.  

• Like 1

Believe me, my first choice is Joe and Evan.  But Chris Simms does have radio experience although admittedly it's limited.  Still it's a little different if we're talking about a former athelete doing sports commentary, same as most of the guys that do color commentary are former atheletes without a ton of broadcasting experience.  My friend does play by play, worked really hard to get where he is, but that dynamic doesn't seem to bother him all that much.

The same way I wouldn't get that upset if Christie hosted a purely political radio show and if he got a job over some guy who was never a politician, but was a long time pundit.  

Retired athletes doing color commentary is always the way it's been though, and that doesn't bother me at all, because those guys can bring the unique perspective of having played whatever sport they're covering at the highest level. That's an incredibly valuable perspective during a game broadcast for obvious reasons. It's when I see these guys just being handed talk shows now all over the country that I get annoyed. Go to any market and every sports radio station employs at least one retired athlete who was gifted a job on a talk show. It's almost a cliche at this point.

Like Joe and Evan a lot, in that they've never taken themselves too seriously, and have that "one of us" vibe...you feel like you could hang with them at a bar somewhere and BS about sports and have a good time (and commiserate about the Mets and the hell that they put us through)...they sound like they're having a good time, which is what it's all about in the end.  And unlike Francesa, they're actually capable of forming coherent thoughts without constant "uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh"s, "I mean"s, dead-air lapses, and brutal stammering. 

Not that I ever thought Francesa was great, but he's like a former .300 hitter who not only can't even hit .200 anymore (and has clearly been in decline for years), but still thinks he should be playing everyday.  He is SO bad now.  I'm stunned that he actually seems to have listeners who find him compelling...it's such a struggle for him to get sentences out...the only exception seems to be when he's fired up, at which point his delivery is less stilted and far more smooth.   

I like Simms for the same reason I like Boomer...that "former pro" perspective.  I find Simms to be pretty articulate too.  But yeah, once Fatso is put out of his misery, Joe and Evan should absolutely get that gig.  They deserve it. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

, Joe and Evan should absolutely get that gig.  They deserve it. 

DIsagree100%, Joe is a wet noodle, he never argues with evan just agrees with basically everything, and on the rare occasion when they disagree, evan explains his view and Joe flip flops!!

Evan should get the Gig, maybe with DA, thought they were pretty good while they were on....

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

And Chris Simms criticizing quarterbacks is hilarious.  The guy peaked at Ramapo High School

It's better than you get with a lot of ex-QBs, like Ron Jaworksi, who pretty much tell you every single crappy quarterback might turn out to be as good as Tom Brady as long as they work on their footwork and mechanics.

Simms has also been around college and NFL enough that he will have interesting things to say that a non-jock wouldn't know, and he's not overly diplomatic about it, which works well for talk radio.  When he was filling in for one of Boomer and Carton a little while ago, he was talking about his time where he tried to get in with the Patriots coaching staff, but it didn't work out.  Was pretty interesting saying how the Patriots organization works, but he was also self-deprecating about how he was not able to really fit in. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

I like Benigno even though I heard him on air saying the only local pro team he actually hated was the Devils!

And Chris Simms criticizing quarterbacks is hilarious.  The guy peaked at Ramapo High School

I saw Chris Simms play against the Pats many years ago, up in NE...his team (the Bucs) lost 28-0, and he threw for 150 yards or so...I was with a Buc fan and told him "Don't think this guy is your future."  Suffice it to say that his career was both short and uneventful. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976