Mike Francesa Answers NJD Draft Questions

TheMazz

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I saw Chris Simms play against the Pats many years ago, up in NE...his team (the Bucs) lost 28-0, and he threw for 150 yards or so...I was with a Buc fan and told him "Don't think this guy is your future."  Suffice it to say that his career was both short and uneventful. 

See my post above how he tried to catch on with the Patriots coaching staff.

On 07/10/2017 at 3:21 PM, TheMazz said:

Chris Christie, who is filling in for the other fatso doesn't want you to call in with your Devils questions and comments on WFAN.

So call in with your Devils questions and comments on WFAN!

Wait explain this to me. They had him on WFAN and he said not to call in with devils stuff or you're just making the statement because he hates the devils?

Also, politics aside (which fvck him and his politics), the fact that a Rangers fan was the executive of this state is embarrassing. How can someone who doesn't respect this state enough to A., not be a Devils fan to begin with, and B., not support the state's only major pro team when he became governor lead our state? Imagine if Trump went to next year's World Cup and supported Germany.

Edited by thecoffeecake
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Daniel said:

It's better than you get with a lot of ex-QBs, like Ron Jaworksi, who pretty much tell you every single crappy quarterback might turn out to be as good as Tom Brady as long as they work on their footwork and mechanics.

Simms has also been around college and NFL enough that he will have interesting things to say that a non-jock wouldn't know, and he's not overly diplomatic about it, which works well for talk radio.  When he was filling in for one of Boomer and Carton a little while ago, he was talking about his time where he tried to get in with the Patriots coaching staff, but it didn't work out.  Was pretty interesting saying how the Patriots organization works, but he was also self-deprecating about how he was not able to really fit in. 

I think he actually comes off as pretty smart (or at the very least a solid listen...I enjoy him on the WFAN), and just because he didn't have the physical ability or talent to be a good NFL QB doesn't mean that he can't possibly know what he's talking about...hell, none of us fans can go out there and do what these guys do, but we all criticize aplenty.  I was more pointing out that it was pretty obvious early on that he wasn't going to take off in the NFL...sure, QBs can look shaky early on and then develop, but it just didn't seem like it was going to happen with him.  And when your dad is Phil Simms (hardly a great QB but good enough to win a SB and be around for a second one after Hostetler finished up that season), it was a little bit of a surprise to have seen Chris flame out as quickly as he did.   

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

Wait explain this to me. They had him on WFAN and he said not to call in with devils stuff or you're just making the statement because he hates the devils?

Also, politics aside (which fvck him and his politics), the fact that a Rangers fan was the executive of this state is embarrassing. How can someone who doesn't respect this state enough to A., not be a Devils fan to begin with, and B., not support the state's only major pro team when he became governor? Imagine if Trump went to next year's World Cup and supported Germany.

I mean, I guess he would go through the motions when it came to "supporting" the Devils, although I don't know if he showed up for the 2012 SCF.  He put out a congraluatory tweet to Nico when he was drafted, but was severely heckled in response.

To be fair to him though, it doesn't really do a politician any favors.  Christie Whitman is a huge Devils fan but would routinely and loudly get booed when he she would go to BBA/CAA in her Devils jersey. 

Also, politics aside (which fvck him and his politics), the fact that a Rangers fan was the executive of this state is embarrassing. How can someone who doesn't respect this state enough to A., not be a Devils fan to begin with, and B., not support the state's only major pro team when he became governor? Imagine if Trump went to next year's World Cup and supported Germany.

Aside from his garbage politics and the fact he's just an a$$hole in general, this is what drives me nuts. Everyone bitches about him being a fvcking Cowboys fan- who the fvck cares if he's a Cowboys fan? The Giants nor the Eagles represent NJ, but THAT'S the sports allegiance of his everyone gets up in arms about? The guy is the governor of NJ and is a Rags fan. THAT'S the one that should piss people off, but of course we live in a state where most of the population tries to identify with two cities that they aren't even from, so why should I even be surprised?  Oh- and Trump would be supporting Russia's soccer team, not Germany's. 

• Like 1

I really don't care about what team our Governor supports.  He grew up a Rangers fan and probably at a time when the Devils didn't exist or was very new (and terrible).  I'd rather have than him having to half-ass fake support a team he doesn't like that a lot of other politicians do.

Edit: As for as Whitman, maybe she was or wasn't a true Devils fan, but boy did she look kind of awkward when she did.  I cringe when I see old photos and especially video of her cheering on the team in 95.

Also the World Cup comparison is a bit extreme.  A bit different to compare a national team representing an entire country than a team that represents a piece of the same market with 2 other teams (3 if you stretch the idea).  Hell even half of NJ is Flyers country so there's that even.

Edited by DevsMan84

21 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Aside from his garbage politics and the fact he's just an a$$hole in general, this is what drives me nuts. Everyone bitches about him being a fvcking Cowboys fan- who the fvck cares if he's a Cowboys fan? The Giants nor the Eagles represent NJ, but THAT's the sports allegiance of his everyone gets up in arms about? The guy is the governor of NJ and is a Rags fan. THAT'S the one that should piss people off, but of course we live in a state where most of the population tries to identify with two cities that they aren't even from, so why should I even be surprised?  Oh- and Trump would be supporting Russia's soccer team, not Germany's. 

Man you are Crazy....Trump would be rooting for Russia not Germany

Edited by redruM

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

I mean, I guess he would go through the motions when it came to "supporting" the Devils, although I don't know if he showed up for the 2012 SCF.  He put out a congraluatory tweet to Nico when he was drafted, but was severely heckled in response.

To be fair to him though, it doesn't really do a politician any favors.  Christie Whitman is a huge Devils fan but would routinely and loudly get booed when he she would go to BBA/CAA in her Devils jersey. 

Yea of course a politician will get that and they expect it. But you can't openly cheer for another team from another state. It's not even about votes, it's about respecting the place you govern.

30 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I really don't care about what team our Governor supports.  He grew up a Rangers fan and probably at a time when the Devils didn't exist or was very new (and terrible).  I'd rather have than him having to half-ass fake support a team he doesn't like that a lot of other politicians do.

Edit: As for as Whitman, maybe she was or wasn't a true Devils fan, but boy did she look kind of awkward when she did.  I cringe when I see old photos and especially video of her cheering on the team in 95.

Also the World Cup comparison is a bit extreme.  A bit different to compare a national team representing an entire country than a team that represents a piece of the same market with 2 other teams (3 if you stretch the idea).  Hell even half of NJ is Flyers country so there's that even.

I don't care if Slapshot punched his mother in the face and Chico filmed it laughing in full uniform. It doesn't matter that they were bad, new, or didn't exist. This bullsh!t markets, Flyers blah blah are all trivialities fans created. The team identifies as New Jersey, not the Flyers. The Rangers don't play here and aren't a New Jersey team, it's that black and white. I don't care if the Jersey Devil and Joshua Huddy showed up to the Rangers home opener with matching Messier jerseys and I was the last Devils fan in the state. The Rangers have nothing to do with our state and never again will. There's no difference between a national team and this situation. The governor needs to be the proudest New Jerseyan that exists.
 It's part of their job.

• Like 1

Just now, thecoffeecake said:

Yea of course a politician will get that and they expect it. But you can't openly cheer for another team from another state. It's not even about votes, it's about respecting the place you govern.

I don't care if Slapshot punched his mother in the face and Chico filmed it laughing in full uniform. It doesn't matter that they were bad, new, or didn't exist. This bullsh!t markets, Flyers blah blah are all trivialities fans created. The team identifies as New Jersey, not the Flyers. The Rangers don't play here and aren't a New Jersey team, it's that black and white. I don't care if the Jersey Devil and Joshua Huddy showed up to the Rangers home opener with matching Messier jerseys and I was the last Devils fan in the state. The Rangers have nothing to do with our state and never again will. There's no difference between a national team and this situation. The governor needs to be the proudest New Jerseyan that exists.
 It's part of their job.

Quite frankly, I have never ever voted for or against a politician due to their sports allegiances.

But that's just me.

3 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I sat near Whitman at a couple of games, and it definitely didn't seem like an act to me.   Yeah, I'm sure she couldn't tell you who they drafted in the third round the previous year, but it seemed like she knew the team reasonably well.

That jives with what I knew about her through a guy I grew up with whose father was one of the major Republican Party donors in the state.

10 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

Imagine if Trump went to next year's World Cup and supported Germany.

You mean Russia!

Damn, I should have read through..........I was beaten to my witticism 

Edited by Jimmy Leeds
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Daniel said:

I sat near Whitman at a couple of games, and it definitely didn't seem like an act to me.   Yeah, I'm sure she couldn't tell you who they drafted in the third round the previous year, but it seemed like she knew the team reasonably well.

That jives with what I knew about her through a guy I grew up with whose father was one of the major Republican Party donors in the state.

Agreed. I was a fan of hers but abhor her for may years now.

But she was a true Devs fan

On 7/11/2017 at 4:54 PM, DevsMan84 said:

Quite frankly, I have never ever voted for or against a politician due to their sports allegiances.

But that's just me.

5 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

Yea man, you're so enlightened. So much so that you're above the whole point.

If a guy is a Rangers fan, he's obviously got poor judgment and isn't qualified for office. I thought that was obvious.

;)

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:53 PM, thecoffeecake said:

It's part of their job.

Oh please, I couldn't give a flying fvck what team the NJ governor roots for...if anything, if it's already well-known that he roots for an out-of-state team (even if it's one that I hate, like the Rangers), I'd rather he at least continue to be true to himself, than to fake being a Devils cheerleader for the sake of not offending some people's delicate sensibilities...what would even be the point of trying?  Almost everyone would see through it. 

I'm a lot more concerned with the far more important aspects of the job that come with being a governor (as are most people)...I don't need him to be a fake shill for EVERY last thing NJ.  If anything, given the amount of out-of-state hockey fans living in NJ (many of whom root for the Rangers and the Flyers of course...it's just simple reality), it shouldn't come as any great surprise that someone who was born in NJ might not root for the Devils anyway.  It's just not anything to make a huge deal out of.    

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:51 PM, MadDog2020 said:

Aside from his garbage politics and the fact he's just an a$$hole in general, this is what drives me nuts. Everyone bitches about him being a fvcking Cowboys fan- who the fvck cares if he's a Cowboys fan? The Giants nor the Eagles represent NJ, but THAT'S the sports allegiance of his everyone gets up in arms about? The guy is the governor of NJ and is a Rags fan. THAT'S the one that should piss people off, but of course we live in a state where most of the population tries to identify with two cities that they aren't even from, so why should I even be surprised?  Oh- and Trump would be supporting Russia's soccer team, not Germany's. 

So few people care about hockey compared to the NFL, NBA, and MLB that I can't make a big deal out him being a Ranger fan.  There will always be a large swath of Ranger fans living in NJ...they're never going away, especially since fandom is so often passed down through generations.  If one of those winds up being governor, so be it...all I care about is what kind of job he's doing in general.

Not that I'm endorsing Christie in any way, or implying that he's doing a great job...more just saying that I can't make a big deal out what hockey team our governor roots for...especially if I already know for sure that it's not the Devils. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1