Jump to content

Things the NHL needs to fix


roomtemp

Recommended Posts

Offside review is #1 in my book.  The Preds goal called back in game 1 is exactly what is so bad about the rule.  Nashville dominated the game to that point, score a goal and then out of no where they find an "infraction" from 33 seconds earlier.   Not only does it take a goal off the board, the PPG center was absolutely rocking after the overturned goal because it was basically like getting a free goal out of nowhere.  Pens had all the momentum coming out of that sequence which just isn't right.      

Agreed, that NBC could use a few more analysts instead of personalities in their broadcasts.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Offside review is #1 in my book.  The Preds goal called back in game 1 is exactly what is so bad about the rule.  Nashville dominated the game to that point, score a goal and then out of no where they find an "infraction" from 33 seconds earlier.   Not only does it take a goal off the board, the PPG center was absolutely rocking after the overturned goal because it was basically like getting a free goal out of nowhere.  Pens had all the momentum coming out of that sequence which just isn't right.      

Agreed, that NBC could use a few more analysts instead of personalities in their broadcasts.  

They don't even have personalities they have a$$holes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can give the replay booth maybe 20 or 30 seconds to determine if there's a clear offsides and the team asking for a review cannot take its time in determining if they want to challenge.  Would ensure that only blatant offisdes result in no-goal calls.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Offsides rule needs to be scrapped. If the ref doesn't catch it in run of play, that's that. They don't review pucks played with a high stick or hand passes from the sequence, why do they review offsides?

The playoff format is awesome, keep it. More divisional games, forget balanced schedule non-sense

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1) Division alignment- Won't complain about uneven teams in the conference as I see the logic (Detroit should suck it up and be in the West tho). However, the Metropolitan is going to continue to get screwed going forward. Just give the two division winners the top 2 spots and just fill in the next 6. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Offside replay abomination and more divisional games like it used to be. 

 

*EDIT* AND START CALLING STUFF/SUSPENDING CROSBY WHEN HE SEVERS PEOPLES FINGERS, RAMS HIS STICK INTO SOMEONE'S GONADS, OR BASHES THEIR HEAD INTO THE ICE.

Edited by Toasterleavins
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Scrap the conferences in this case. Have the top 16 teams in points, no matter what conference, make the playoffs. Kinda like the old days.

Yes, I know it will never happen due to travel, but how cool would it be for two divisional rivals pissibly meeting in the Final. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, mikemarc1 said:

Scrap the conferences in this case. Have the top 16 teams in points, no matter what conference, make the playoffs. Kinda like the old days.

Yes, I know it will never happen due to travel, but how cool would it be for two divisional rivals pissibly meeting in the Final. 

Like you said it's obviously not happening but the eastern conference finals against the Rangers is stressful enough, I couldn't even imagine playing them for the cup in the finals. It would either be the greatest thing ever or I'd be wanting to burn down the garden lol

Edited by Satans Hockey
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Offside review has to disappear. If something is missed...it's missed. You shouldn't be able to go back 10 seconds, 30 seconds...a minute, and call a goal back. Too much has happened in the interim. Offsides review has been a disaster from day 1 and everybody wants it gone.

More divisional games definitely. We had only 4 games with the Rags this year? Huh? And months between them? We don't need to play the Avs twice ok. If we go a year without seeing the Avs or Arizona nobody will care or notice. Minimum 6 division games a year.

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Like you said it's obviously not happening but the eastern conference finals against the Rangers is stressful enough, I couldn't even imagine playing them for the cup in the finals. It would either be the greatest thing ever or I'd be wanting to burn down the garden lol

lol true 

 

Edited by mikemarc1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Get rid of instant replay. I hate it. The risk of a referee making a bad call is what keeps the game exciting. Sure, it sucks if you're on the wrong side, but that's the way the game should be played. 

I am against it in all sports in all situations. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Get rid of instant replay. I hate it. The risk of a referee making a bad call is what keeps the game exciting. Sure, it sucks if you're on the wrong side, but that's the way the game should be played. 

I am against it in all sports in all situations. 

I'm with you. No reasonable person expects every call by an official to be perfect. Missed calls have been part of the sports since their inception. Technology shouldn't interfere with that. If the offside is so close that the ref couldn't catch it with the naked eye then it shouldn't be overturned.

Professional sports, not just the NHL, needs to make up it's mind as to whether it wants this human error element to be involved anymore. Technology is bordering on being able to remove certain officials entirely for some automated replacement. MLB could easily retire the home plate umpire and just use some generic strike box that is monitored by a computer program. They could probably do it with offsides too. Do people really want that? I seriously doubt it. 

New playoff format also blows. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1. Start calling interference penalties again! The defenseman clearly going out of his way to change directions and impede an attacking player who is going after a dumped puck is a blatant interference. We had a lockout for this sh!t yet it's not only creeped back in the game but taken it over.

2. Division alignment

3. Playoff seeding

4. Offside and goalie interference replays are taking us back to the dreaded skate in the crease days. If replay existed in 2012, we all would've been ordered to stop joyous spontaneous wild celebrations and wait for a referee to look at an iPad for three minutes after Henrique' goal.

5. Enough with the multiple outdoor games per year.

Edited by devlman
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We need a new Commissioner, Bettman has done well to grow the game, but holy fvck has he let it become bastardized over the past decade. The shootout is horrendous, the fingers in the ear approach to any dissension and pretending that popular opinion is actually the minority, having officiating become a goddamn joke, allowing the league to become the first in North American sports history to have multiple work stoppages, yadda yadda yadda.

I personally feel there is an embarrassing bias when it comes to star players, it goes beyond Crosby. But again, I think in some instances, it is my own personal bias.

The current playoff format is broken, so is the divisional system.

fvck the shootout and offsides challenge.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, jagknife said:

We need a new Commissioner, Bettman has done well to grow the game, but holy fvck has he let it become bastardized over the past decade. The shootout is horrendous,

fvck the shootout

So what's the solution to the shootout? Unlimited OT is unrealistic in the way the schedule is laid out and no one but weirdos on hockey message boards like ties so what is it? Or are we going to pretend the penalty shot was never apart of hockey before this and just yell about how its not hockey.

The day the NHL regresses and goes back to ties is the day I stop watching.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 06/12/2017 at 1:13 PM, Satans Hockey said:

Playoff format is garbage. There is no reason the #1 and #2 teams in the league should be playing each other in the second round meanwhile Ottawa has home ice in the first 2 rounds. 

This idea that #1 and #2 have to meet in the conference finals is dumb. Competing more directly with local rivals is good for the game, both in terms of jostling for playoff position and meeting in the playoffs consistently. Beat the teams in your region, then move on from there. It makes sense. We wouldn't get Washington - Pittsburgh every year without this format.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would take old school ties over the shootout, also now with the 3 on 3 they are going balls out anyway. Also, the artificial winning records of teams that have lost more than they won annoys me (though it did make our record this past year more palatable I guess).

I think they have to get back to calling tighter on the obstruction, they have slowly but surely let that creep back into the game more and more since the crackdown 2005 lockout, sometimes guys are getting mugged out there with no call.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

This idea that #1 and #2 have to meet in the conference finals is dumb. Competing more directly with local rivals is good for the game, both in terms of jostling for playoff position and meeting in the playoffs consistently. Beat the teams in your region, then move on from there. It makes sense. We wouldn't get Washington - Pittsburgh every year without this format.

The problem is you make the regular season more worthless. If the team with the best record has a "harder" path (in theory cause matchups cause problems in the NHL more so then say the NBA) why the hell are we trying to win games to get that record? When throwing games becomes a better strategy you make the whole thing a farce.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.