Sign in to follow this  
MadDog2020

Devils acquire D Mirco Mueller from SJ

That's a high price to pay for someone I've never heard of.

Kidding aside, anyone know anything about this kid?

I like Mueller a lot, two-way defenseman with some good mobility, 18th Overall Pick back in his draft year, I could see him panning out into a 2nd pairing defenseman. Like this move a lot.

FWIW, It's our 2nd second (Boston) and our second 4 (Nashville); i.e., #49 & #123 for Mueller and 143.

PS, sorry I posted this trade in the offseason thread a few minutes back - this does deserve it's own post. 

Edited by LittleBallofHate

Sharks fans seem disappointed in this trade which is always good news. Was one of their best D prospects, had a 'down' year but still has the potential to one day being a top of the lineup defenseman.

like this a lot

• Like 2

Also for anyone who's feeling upset about this: we got a 22 year old solid D prospect who will play next year for Stempniak and Fiddler

• Like 5

Eliteprospects:

Mirco Müller is a smooth skating two-way defenseman with impressive mobility. Has strong puck-moving abilities and combined with decent passing-skills he is capable to push a team’s transition game. He is poised with the puck, but needs to learn to take quicker decisions as he tends to hold on to the puck to long, while all his pass-options closing. Despite his size, he doesn’t use his body to his advantage as you rarely see him hit other players. Reads the play well, plays a smart defensive game in his own end and keeps his actions simple

I'm pretty sure he was a deboer causality just like Larsson was here. I expect him to be on our NHL roster next season. Especially since he needs to be protected. 

Itll be interesting to see who the Devils protect now on D. Do they go the 8 skater route and protect Greene, Severson, Mueller, Moore/Merrill/Killjoy or do they got 7 and 3 and go Greene, Severson, Murller and leave the other 3 exposed?

Sharks fans seem disappointed in this trade which is always good news. Was one of their best D prospects, had a 'down' year but still has the potential to one day being a top of the lineup defenseman.
like this a lot

The Sharks fans over on HF are most certainly not disappointed, the consensus over there seems to be that they're surprised they got as much as they did for this guy. That doesn't make me feel all that great, but whatever. We had 11 picks and we gave up the lower of the 2's, so I'm not gonna stomp my feet too hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

The Sharks fans over on HF are most certainly not disappointed, the consensus over there seems to be that they're surprised they got as much as they did for this guy. That doesn't make me feel all that great, but whatever. We had 11 picks and we gave up the lower of the 2's, so I'm not gonna stomp my feet too hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On R/hockey it seems the consensus is that his value was at an all time low. He was drafted 18th in 2013 and looked solid in the AHL. If the expansion draft wasn't this season and the sharks didn't need to protect, I don't think this move gets made. It's Stempniak and Fiddler for a solid prospect, it's opportunistic and I am excited.

• Like 2

My gut reaction is that this isn't a bargain, not a discount I was hoping we could take advantage of relative to the expansion draft/protection situation. Admittedly though I don't know much about the player though so it is a wait and see.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Interesting to note that he's Swiss.

A friendly countryman for Nico? ;) 

Good catch!  Shero picked up Gazdic so Hall would have a buddy... even McLeod got his "super"buddy Bastian.  I guess a fellow countryman couldn't hurt?   #teamNico

22 year old fleet footed defenseman. Few years down the road, this trade could prove to be more integral than the Palmieri trade we all believed to be a fleecing. 

3 minutes ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

22 year old fleet footed defenseman. Few years down the road, this trade could prove to be more integral than the Palmieri trade we all believed to be a fleecing. 

Granted we paid a bit more for Palmieri, but Palms had already established himself and shown something at the NHL level at about .5 PPG and some jam. Loved that trade when it was announced, this one I am tepid on. 

I'm kinda meh on this trade. I like that Shero used the extra picks they had to target a young defenseman, though some could argue it's still not the best asset management since Mueller is getting close to bust status. The 4th to 5th is pretty much a wash in value. I suppose Shero isn't high on a lot of the potential 2nd round talent and would rather gamble on a more developed prospect that is closer to contributing. Mueller is going to have a great opportunity to finally cement his status as a NHL defender this season and I hope he takes advantage of it. Entering his age 22 year, he really needs to take that next step. Hopefully this works out for the Devils.

4 minutes ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

Granted we paid a bit more for Palmieri, but Palms had already established himself and shown something at the NHL level at about .5 PPG and some jam. Loved that trade when it was announced, this one I am tepid on. 

I see people elsewhere compare this to the Palmieri trade but I agree with you. As you said, Palmieri had already shown that he was a NHL player, the book is out on Mueller and entering his age 22 year, it's time to show something. Definitely a different situation.

Yeah, not a huge fan of this but it's not terrible. Mueller has no offense to his game but he's a fantastic skater. At least he makes our D core a lot more mobile and seems to have great escapability. We shouldn't be so quick to judge his NHL results (talking possession stats, shot suppression, etc) when most of his results came in his 19 year old season

5 minutes ago, SMantzas said:

Yeah, not a huge fan of this but it's not terrible. Mueller has no offense to his game but he's a fantastic skater. At least he makes our D core a lot more mobile and seems to have great escapability. We shouldn't be so quick to judge his NHL results (talking possession stats, shot suppression, etc) when most of his results came in his 19 year old season

sounds like a bigger jon merril.. wonder if this means we're trading a D man this draft

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

Oh, I agree with you. My point is I think this one has more boom or bust potential. People seem more disappointed but I have a feeling we'll be looking back on this saying it was more important than the Palmieri trade. 

• Like 1