Poll: Who do you want Shero to select #1

devlman

Who do you want Shero to select #1  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Who do YOU want Shero to pick first overall:

I'm proud to announce I've flipped again for the 1000th time - I'm team Nico right now.

I think Nolan is going to be a fine player, but I think it's too dangerous to draft a player with such an injury history #1. Plus I think Nico's a more dynamic player with dynamic upside.

Note: I reserve the right to flip sides again.

• Like 1

I had formation for my coaching today with pros like Hartley, Éric Dubois etc... and André Tourigny.

I talk with Tourigny for 40 min about coaching and I ask about Hischier.

Tourigny on Hischier today when we talk about him.

1. He is the best player he ever coach. (He coachs mackinnon etc...)Learning curve is exceptionnal. He has the best personnality and pay attention to details. He thinks he has less hand and shot than Patrick, but he has better vision , speed, he can reads the play.

2- No chance he is going back in Junior for him. He is NHL ready and will grow pretty quickcly. 

3- if it was tight.. he thinks after the interview with him and the people around him, that it is not tight anymore.

4- He dont think we can pass him... would be a huge mistake.

After talking with him I became nervous... I want Hischier.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I would pick Nolan.  He was the consensus number 1 for a while and he really didn't do anything but get injured to lose that.  Nico doesn't strike me as having had a really dominant type of season to justify leap frogging him.  

I'd pick Nico, Nolan's injury history is way too scary for me.

On 6/17/2017 at 8:28 PM, andy said:

I'd pick Nico, Nolan's injury history is way too scary for me.

From what I've seen his injury history was not getting the sports hernia healed correctly and trying to play through it made it worse. Sometimes freak injuries happen and aren't really an indicator of their career. As a Vikings fan I can point to Adrian Peterson. Other then 2011 he's never really had a major injury in his prime despite breaking his collarbone in college.

So unless there is a major warning from the multiple doctors the Devils have had him checked out with I'm saying you go with Nolan.

Edited by roomtemp

40 minutes ago, Rock said:

Today I'm leaning to the "you can't teach size" argument so I picked Nolan.  I would not be disappointed if it is Nico.

At the combine, they were only 1/2" difference in height, though 20 lbs in weight. Who knows who will end up "bigger"...  though it's safe to say that Nolan will be "sizier"(yeah I made it up, so what) at the draft... 

Reasons to draft Nico:

• Fits the "fast, attacking, supportive" mold exactly
  • Has played on bad teams (Halifax Mooseheads and Team Switzerland at World Juniors) and has been able to put up impressive points
  • One season "adjustment" to North America-style hockey/smaller ice size and living in a new country and still was one of the best players in the league
  • Great hands, has shown that he can use his stickhandling to get by several players at a time
  • Coaches seem to rave about this guy
  • Not small by any means, even though that's what the narrative has been so far 

Reasons not to draft Nico:

• Small sample size, with one season in North America
  • He had one incredible game at the World Juniors against USA, which may be receiving too much attention
  • With all things considered, his point totals this season were impressive, but not unbelievable
  • Possibility that his game and skill set will not translate to the NHL as smoothly
  • He rose to the top very quickly, which is something to be wary about

Reasons to draft Nolan:

• Dominant player in the WHL for years (outperformed John Quenneville, who was obviously not only another first rounder, but 3 years ahead of Nolan in development)
  • One of the best draft -1 seasons in recent history, including winning the WHL playoffs MVP over guys like Jayce Hawryluk, Matt Barzal, John Quenneville, etc.
  • Elite level shot and a versatile goal scorer
  • It is likely that he played injured this year on a worse team than last year, and still nearly matched his points/game from the previous season

Reasons not to draft Nolan:

• Injury history could be a concern, since he has missed a lot of time in his juniors career
  • Unlike Nico, there aren't as many coaches raving about Nolan, and his player comparisons are not as impressive as Nico's
  • Missing a lot of his draft year leaves some question marks

(This post is sponsored by Mike Brown Game Recaps, Inc.)

• Like 5

Its Patrick, never underestimate the wrist shot.  Nico scores around the crease, Patrick can score in the circles... we need snipers.  No way does we have enough finishers on this team. 26th in team shooting %  zzzzzz  

give me the quicker harder shot please...

24 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

Its Patrick, never underestimate the wrist shot.  Nico scores around the crease, Patrick can score in the circles... we need snipers.  No way does we have enough finishers on this team. 26th in team shooting %  zzzzzz  

give me the quicker harder shot please...

Good take on things. But you know Parise was the same way in terms of scoring around the crease. It translated fine to NHL play. You just have to have the wheels and puck skills.

Hirschier just seems to be on an upswing now. He's getting better. His offensive ceiling overall is higher. His puck skills and vision is better. 

Can't discount Patricks injuries. It may be an epidemic, it may not be. With some guys it's fluky, others get stronger and stop getting hurt so often, and others are Adrian Foster. But other than the one year I think he's been pretty healthy.