Poll: Who do you want Shero to select #1

devlman

Who do you want Shero to select #1  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Who do YOU want Shero to pick first overall:

1 hour ago, '7' said:

Good take on things. But you know Parise was the same way in terms of scoring around the crease. It translated fine to NHL play. You just have to have the wheels and puck skills.

Hirschier just seems to be on an upswing now. He's getting better. His offensive ceiling overall is higher. His puck skills and vision is better. 

Can't discount Patricks injuries. It may be an epidemic, it may not be. With some guys it's fluky, others get stronger and stop getting hurt so often, and others are Adrian Foster. But other than the one year I think he's been pretty healthy.

Whatever Nolan's injuries are, they're not of the Adrian Foster variety.  From all accounts, it really looks like the injuries are, at most a minor problem.

1 hour ago, '7' said:

Good take on things. But you know Parise was the same way in terms of scoring around the crease. It translated fine to NHL play. You just have to have the wheels and puck skills.

Hirschier just seems to be on an upswing now. He's getting better. His offensive ceiling overall is higher. His puck skills and vision is better. 

Can't discount Patricks injuries. It may be an epidemic, it may not be. With some guys it's fluky, others get stronger and stop getting hurt so often, and others are Adrian Foster. But other than the one year I think he's been pretty healthy.

I used the parise comparison myself in the nico vs nolan thread.  And it's a good one, I just want a sniper, if patrick truly is one.  Definitely a risk involved. Great predicament to be in. 

9 hours ago, roomtemp said:

From what I've seen his injury history was not getting the sports hernia healed correctly and trying to play through it made it worse. Sometimes freak injuries happen and aren't really an indicator of their career. As a Vikings fan I can point to Adrian Peterson. Other then 2011 he's never really had a major injury in his prime despite breaking his collarbone in college.

So unless there is a major warning from the multiple doctors the Devils have had him checked out with I'm saying you go with Nolan.

He also broke his collarbone twice, had a groin injury, a knee injury and the hernia issues.  He scares the hell out of me.

Edited by andy

1 hour ago, andy said:

He also broke his collarbone twice, had a groin injury, a knee injury and the hernia issues.  He scares the hell out of me.

And was dragging and suffering bad on one of the bike drills at the combine. 

Thought about voting, but it wouldn't really be based on anything real...neither guy is an automatic slamdunk and there's things to like about and be wary of for both.  I'm pretty much with MD2020, in that I'll embrace either one, and hope for the best, without any disappointment one way or the other. 

23 hours ago, devlman said:

And was dragging and suffering bad on one of the bike drills at the combine. 

Tbh, Don't care about slow twitch endurance exercises. I want fast twitch 60 seconds of explosiveness.  Sprinters never run distance exercises .  He gets 4mins on the bench to recoup. 

9 hours ago, sundstrom said:

what do I want?

trade 1 overall to vegas for dumba, sissons, #6, and two more of the 1st GMGM gets from the expansion draft.

I think I would rather just keep the top pick and take one of the two guys who are as close as we can get to a sure fire 1C.   I think we can add a 2nd paring D and a 4th line C through other means.    

Its an interesting situation because as a fan im just as worried about giving the flyers the better player than i am about us picking the right guy. Id almost rather be picking 2nd so there would never be questions or second guesses. Of course Shero doesnt have this mindset so i just hope hes confident in whatever choice he makes.

I'm not sure whether or not Matt Loughlin has any inside info, but he when asked over the last few weeks, he said he'd rather have Nolan. Yesterday, he changed his answer to Nico. Is he just blowing where the wind takes him (referring to Button and Dreger saying NJ is leaning Nico) or does he legit have info.

I've been wanting Patrick...  I'll stick with him.

Although everyone jumping ship to Nico scares me...     the worst part is that if we pick wrong, the Flyers benefit, and we will be reminded of that constantly.   
But gun to head, I pick Nolan Patrick.  Injuries be damned.

1 hour ago, Chuck the Duck said:

I have to say, I was firmly in Team Nolan's camp after we won the draft lottery, and still voted for him here.  However, I am almost at the point of switching to Team Nico who just seems to fit what Shero is trying to build here more than Nolan does. 

That's why I switched. Patrick is more of a Lou era Devil. If Conte were still here there would be no doubt in my mind we'd be taking Patrick.

What if Philly wanted the Flower? Pitt is giving VGK a pick to make sure they take him.  I could see Philly making a play for him. VGK would make out if that were the case...  Anyway, this is just a RUMOR but I figured I'd post it fwiw...

Matthew Sekeres‏ @mattsekeres (Host of Sekeres and Price midday program on Vancouver sports-talk radio station TSN 1040 AM.)

Not sure if this is out there, but rumblings that #VegasGoldenKnights could acquire #2 overall pick from #Flyers via their expansion bounty

Trade down, with accumulated picks for 17 year old Vilardi and Glass or Middlestadt if possible. Need the future to be those power centers with talent, Vilardi is almost a full year younger than Patrick and put him through the same skating development which Tavares and Sidney Crosby used to peak their game of top success.

I think Shero has enough assets with Kovy and picks to get one of the top speedy defensemen too. I just don't like  today's choices of putting all your 'Eggs in one Basket'  for one or the other questionable goods, especially if it's not a top generational talent like the recent previous drafts. But if one is forced to choose one 1st rounder pick, then it's Nico Hischier.

I really would love to hear all the communications-negotiations going on in Shero's office of offers/trades/side deals for the top pick/Kovy/etc. It would make for a nice 'Devils 24' sports special or  '48HRS: NJ Devils Las Vegas to Chicago Draft'.