Cory Pronman has "several NHL sources" saying Devils leaning towards Makar

Daniel

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Season ticket sales are down and most of the fanbase is already pissed off about the jersey.  Using the number 1 pick (that your PR department has been hyping for almost two months) on a guy who won't even be in your organization for one and probably at least two years is something that any owner in that situation will need to be thoroughly convinced of. 

Absolutely agree, this would be a sh!t storm of epic proportions. 

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

If they really want Makar, a scenario that might make sense is that Vegas trades number 6 and Methot to Dallas for number 3.  Vegas then trades number 3 and most of the first round picks they've accumulated for number 1.

Even still, number 3 seems way too high for Makar.  I almost think Harris would pull rank on Shero and veto any such trade.  It appears that Harris is very interested in drafts in general as I believe he stays at the draft table for the entire draft, although I'm not sure how unusual that is.

Harris is interested in Sixer draft picks, doubt he gives a hoot about ours since he  supposedly didn't even Tweet about us winning the lottery.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

It better be a trade down. All I can say. If Makar is taken 1st overall, you can fire everyone AFAIC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know a short bald man from RI who doesn't have a contract for next year who may be interested...

heh. Seriously though Shero putting his career on the line for Makar would be unfathomable. Just can't do it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roomtemp said:

Wouldn't be surprised if alot of this is the Devils and Shero trying to stir rumours in order to drive up the trade value of the pick.

I would acutally think something like this is lessening the trade value of it, because news and rumors like this at least open up the possibility that they'd be interested in picking someone like Makar.  Before this discussion came up, the perception was we were taking Nolan or Nico, both presumed to be top tier NHLers in the near future, but now with this type of talk, I think it stirs conversation to other GMs like "Hey, maybe the Devils are kinda stupid and aren't dead set on taking Nico or Nolan, so we can potentially offer them a little less and they'd be fine taking Makar".  Who knows though.

42 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I would acutally think something like this is lessening the trade value of it, because news and rumors like this at least open up the possibility that they'd be interested in picking someone like Makar.  Before this discussion came up, the perception was we were taking Nolan or Nico, both presumed to be top tier NHLers in the near future, but now with this type of talk, I think it stirs conversation to other GMs like "Hey, maybe the Devils are kinda stupid and aren't dead set on taking Nico or Nolan, so we can potentially offer them a little less and they'd be fine taking Makar".  Who knows though.

Well it might not be a little less but trying to jump start legitimate offers in that they can be moved from the 1st overall spot and take Makar if the price is right.

Stupid. Guy accomplished his goal, people are talking about him,. Besides, isn't that what Friedman suggested earlier in the week anyway.  The press just wants no marquee player in NJ, so they throw this sh*t out there. They're hoping we get a defenseman, so the dynamic scorers can play in another market. 

6 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

No way.

ESPN is about as connected to hockey insides as you or I.  Total bullsh!t fluff article to generate page clicks.

No way are they not picking one of the two top guys.

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

It can work both ways, but if the goal is to gin up interest in a trade there has to be some belief there's some team out there, maybe Dallas that really, really wants Makar.   Last year, if you recall, Columbus tried up until the very last minute (literally) to trade down from number 3 and tried to give the impression they were going to take Pulijjarvi, when they ended up taking Dubois, so it didn't work then, but the strategy was different.

However, at the NFL draft this year, San Fran made it look like they were going to take Trubitsky, a really overrated QB prospect, and were convincing enough that Chicago traded up one or two spots to draft Trubitsky themselves and gave a lot to San Fran in the process.  

So yeah, the absolute dream scenario is that Dallas trades to 1 to get Makar, we take Nico or Nolan at three, and come away with maybe a first next year and Nischushkin.  

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if this is leaked by NJ to keep teams guessing and to entice a trade offer that blows them away. Say Dallas *really* wants Makar (which sounds ludicrous to me too) and you're fine with either of Nico/Nolan...moving to 3 and picking up an additional asset wouldn't be bad.

Just now, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Any chance that Ray is trying to get another 1st round pick and taking Makar?

Where is he slated to go?

All over the map.  Some people say as low as 15, and now apparently as high as number 1.  He seems like the kind of prospect that some GM thinks can be Erik Karllson.

I really don't get the obsession.  He tore up a B-league, but so did Dante Fabbro, and no one really went this gaga over him.  Plus, he committed to UMass which isn't really known for producing top-flight NHL talent.  

15 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

From the videos we saw, is it clear if the Devils even interviewed Makar? I remember them mentioning Nico, Nolan and Hieskanen. Maybe even remember reading something about Middlestadt. But I don't remember if we've been ever linked to makar before the E$PN reporter mentioned it

I've heard bits and pieces about the Devils at least liking Makar, if not saying flat out they're considering taking him at #1, over the past couple of weeks.  

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

All over the map.  Some people say as low as 15, and now apparently as high as number 1.  He seems like the kind of prospect that some GM thinks can be Erik Karllson.

I really don't get the obsession.  He tore up a B-league, but so did Dante Fabbro, and no one really went this gaga over him.  Plus, he committed to UMass which isn't really known for producing top-flight NHL talent.  

Isn't that the knock against Hischier too? That he lit it up for one season and may be overhyped?

9 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

Isn't that the knock against Hischier too? That he lit it up for one season and may be overhyped?

Nah, Hischier excelled in a major-junior league.  Makar beat up on competition in a tier 2 or tier 3 league (AJHL).  To put it in perspective, only two players in the past ten years have been drafted in the first round (both outside the top 10) out of the AJHL and only one of them is a decent NHLer, Joe Colborne.  

The thing that makes me less comfortable about Nico is that he shot up the ranks so quickly, most people had him in the 20s when the year started, and, in my opinion anyway, he didn't truly dominate in the Q.  Patrick, on the other hand, on a points per game basis, had one of the better draft year-1 in the salary cap era.  

Since Shero said there are no issues with his health, Nolan's the guy I want.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Nah, Hischier excelled in a major-junior league.  Makar beat up on competition in a tier 2 or tier 3 league (AJHL).  To put it in perspective, only two players in the past ten years have been drafted in the first round (both outside the top 10) out of the AJHL and only one of them is a decent NHLer, Joe Colborne.  

The thing that makes me less comfortable about Nico is that he shot up the ranks so quickly, most people had him in the 20s when the year started, and, in my opinion anyway, he didn't truly dominate in the Q.  Patrick, on the other hand, on a points per game basis, had one of the better draft year-1 in the salary cap era.  

I agree it would be sickening if we drafted Makar. But Kyle Turris was also out of the AJHL (3rd overall).

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

I think Nolan is more complete.

21 minutes ago, devlman said:

I agree it would be sickening if we drafted Makar. But Kyle Turris was also out of the AJHL (3rd overall).

Turris was out of the BCHL, which is still a B-league, but seems to be better than the AJHL, at least based on who gets drafted out of each league.

Zajac and Gomez were also BCHLers.  

The other thing about Makar is that he committed to UMass, which isn't known for producing great NHLers, much less someone you'd take number 1 overall.