Devils select Nico Hischier #1 overall in 2017 Draft

Triumph

as someone who lives at the shore... I think he could probably find something to do other than eat terrible pizza or go to tacky t-shirt shops, but that's just me. They should take him to the CHEGG and have him take the ludicrous challenge. lol.

I really don't see any problem with any of the promotional stuff he's done this weekend... it's awesome how much they are promoting him. This is what we've been lacking for years. Imagine if we actually marketed more during our heyday? All that I got out of today's stuff was that I really need to get to Hobby's soon.

I think the point thecoffeecake is trying to make is that we should be exposing Nico to the things that make NJ what it really is (The shore, Delaware Water Gap, Pine Barrens, Cape May, LBI, Ect.) before selling him on the "being close to NYC" aspect. I kind of agree with this sentiment but when you are trying to advertise him as well you are going to need to show him off at the bigger venues which NJ just doesn't really have so I can accept the public outings to the Red Bulls and Yankees especially with their friendly ties to the Devils.

Also if you idea of the shore is Seaside or Wildwood please take a pilgrimage to IBSP. It is your sacred duty as a New Jerseyan to fully understand the natural beauty of your state before you sh!t on it  because you only visit the trashy touristy areas.

Edited by WaffleFries
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Hunt for guys who kill 16 Czechoslovakians while being an interior decorator?

Bingo.

56 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

The jersey shore is awesome, and people who piss and moan about the jersey shore are usually people I do not get along with. 

Agreed. It has its sleazy sections but everywhere does. Ive had lots of fun down there over the years. 

wifebeater-vi_zpsjodj0hhe.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

A) Then why get upset about him being shown around NYC?

B. Take him to the shore and see how well it will go over explaining to him why he will have to pay to get on the beach and why the boardwalk is filled with tacky t-shirt shops, terrible pizza stands and shady games of chance.

Yea, those 4 beaches are a fun part of the culture of the Shore, and there mostly really excellent pizza options in those places, as well as seafood, cheesesteaks, hot dogs, and unique desserts. And you have to pay to get on the beach because maintaining safe and clean conditions on beaches isn't free. You'd prefer tax payers on the Shore to subsidize your vacation? If you prefer, you can go to a tacky beach in Europe owned by the adjacent club and covered in cigarette butts and other assorted trash. Or if you're that intent on not contributing to the protection of our state's natural resources, one of the best and most remote beaches in the state is entirely free. But I'll gladly pay my $50 a year to access Island Beach State Park and swim 5 miles from the closest development. Let me tell you how boring that is.

39 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

Yea, those 4 beaches are a fun part of the culture of the Shore, and there mostly really excellent pizza options in those places, as well as seafood, cheesesteaks, hot dogs, and unique desserts. And you have to pay to get on the beach because maintaining safe and clean conditions on beaches isn't free. You'd prefer tax payers on the Shore to subsidize your vacation? If you prefer, you can go to a tacky beach in Europe owned by the adjacent club and covered in cigarette butts and other assorted trash. Or if you're that intent on not contributing to the protection of our state's natural resources, one of the best and most remote beaches in the state is entirely free. But I'll gladly pay my $50 a year to access Island Beach State Park and swim 5 miles from the closest development. Let me tell you how boring that is.

If our state wasn't so corrupt we wouldn't need beach access fees.  Every other state seems to figure it out without a significant tax burden, but ours can't.

I have been to many beaches in Europe and the Caribbean.  None are any more or less dirty than any beach I have been to in NJ.

9 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

If our state wasn't so corrupt we wouldn't need beach access fees.  Every other state seems to figure it out without a significant tax burden, but ours can't.

I have been to many beaches in Europe and the Caribbean.  None are any more or less dirty than any beach I have been to in NJ.

Most beaches are administered by the respective municipality, so try again.

Keep dumping on the Shore as it's one of, if not, the only Devils stronghold in the state. When the Devils are decent, the boardwalks are PACKED with Devils stuff outnumbering everyone else. 

This is true, the shore represents when it comes to the Devils- particularly Monmouth County. I know for sure there are a lot of Devils fans in the Toms River area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, WaffleFries said:

I think the point thecoffeecake is trying to make is that we should be exposing Nico to the things that make NJ what it really is (The shore, Delaware Water Gap, Pine Barrens, Cape May, LBI, Ect.) before selling him on the "being close to NYC" aspect. I kind of agree with this sentiment but when you are trying to advertise him as well you are going to need to show him off at the bigger venues which NJ just doesn't really have so I can accept the public outings to the Red Bulls and Yankees especially with their friendly ties to the Devils.

Also if you idea of the shore is Seaside or Wildwood please take a pilgrimage to IBSP. It is your sacred duty as a New Jerseyan to fully understand the natural beauty of your state before you sh!t on it  because you only visit the trashy touristy areas.

I'm ok with it in general, but not as the first thing he does as a Devil.

6 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

You don't have to be here if you don't want. 

Yes, thanks, brilliant person.  This is the kind of devastating insight I expect from you, so thank you for not disappointing.  If you honestly think that having the thread about the 1st overall pick that the Devils just took on Friday - the first time they've ever had said pick - turn into talk about Island Beach State Park by Monday, you and I have vastly different opinions about what constitutes good discussion or a good message board.

Here, I can anticipate your cutting, Churchillian response to this:

"You're derailing the thread too!"

Yes, I get it, I get how this works.  I understand that by contributing this post, I am ostensibly contributing to the problem.  The reason I make this post and don't just leave  the board is that I like this place, it's still generally good, but a few people have sh!tty opinions they can't keep out of every thread, and it's a shame that this was one of them, and it's disappointing that no one wants to moderate this place, even a little bit, to make it better.

8 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Wow, well, okay then.

I was just saying that if you're so disgusted by this place nobody's forcing you to stay. 

I actually like your posts, I've always been a big and oftentimes vocal fan of yours. Didn't mean to poke the bear.

Let me be clear, then, since it seems my last two posts were not.

I understand why threads derail.  One person makes an off-topic post that's inflammatory, other people cannot help but respond to it, and then you have a full thread derail if no one moderates the original post or discourages that behavior.  The poster in this instance who did that was thecoffeecake and his opinions about the state of New Jersey vis a vis Nico Hischier's tour of New York and New Jersey these few days.  Again, if you think this is good for a message board to devolve into totally off-topic opinions and pissing matches where people have been dug in for multiple years on various off-topic subjects, then this is indeed the board for you.   At least when SterioDesign was making every thread a referendum on Lou Lamoriello, it was about hockey and the Devils.  Yammering about New Jersey's identity as a state - confine it to a thread that's not about the #1 overall draft pick, which the Devils have never had in their New Jersey history.

I like this place and I like most of the people here.  I've been talking Devils hockey with some of the people here for close to 20 years.  It's a great place to talk hockey, when things don't go off the rails they did here.  I fully understand nothing is keeping me here, but I think with a few simple changes that this board could be much improved.

• Like 1