Devils select Nico Hischier #1 overall in 2017 Draft

Triumph

12 minutes ago, Onddeck said:

I thought he was saying like nothing is keeping you in NJ.. just my two cents.

so did anyone hear all of Nicos interview with boomer and carton? Was wondering how it went 

I heard part of it. Carton starts asking him questions about spending time in the minors before playing for the big club. Boomer quickly corrected him and said he's the #1 pick, he'll be playing for the big club right away. 

Thats what's gonna happen, right?

I heard part of it. Carton starts asking him questions about spending time in the minors before playing for the big club. Boomer quickly corrected him and said he's the #1 pick, he'll be playing for the big club right away. 

Nico will be given every opportunity to make the team. Shero said today they have a spot ready for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

we will be giving him a entire camp and pre season to show his stuff. i say he makes the team

4 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

There's no guarantee, but it would be surprising if he didn't. That's for sure. The last time the #1 overall didn't play in his draft year was what, 2006? And as others have mentioned, there is no AHL for Nico: he'll either be in the NHL or the Q next year.

That's true, I didn't even think of that. I can't imagine them sending their #1 to the Q unless he's awful in camp and pre season. 

There was talk today by his agent in a Swiss paper that if he doesn't make the Devils he may go back to the Swiss league and play there for a season.  That would be better than the Q.

Last 1st overall to not play after his draft year was Erik Johnson, but he was a college player - last guy before that was Fleury, last non-goalie who played in junior to not make the team out of camp was Bryan Berard.  I have no clue who the last forward is, it could be Joe Murphy, and that was 30+ years ago.

Edited by Triumph

6 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I know NolPat was the more 'pro-ready' player; the kid is pushing 200 and has a few months on Nico. I hope the Devils don't let that influence what they feel is best for his development. I can wait a year if I have to, I don't want Nico rushed.

Shero himself said he didn't agree with the NP being more NHL ready narrative. I saw him comment on it on draft day.

He'll be on the roster.

19 minutes ago, Triumph said:

There was talk today by his agent in a Swiss paper that if he doesn't make the Devils he may go back to the Swiss league and play there for a season.  That would be better than the Q.

Last 1st overall to not play after his draft year was Erik Johnson, but he was a college player - last guy before that was Fleury, last non-goalie who played in junior to not make the team out of camp was Bryan Berard.  I have no clue who the last forward is, it could be Joe Murphy, and that was 30+ years ago.

You could sorta say that Dany Heatley qualifies in that he was the first forward taken after a goalie at number 2, and played another year at college before joining the Thrashers.

As a complete aside, as I was researching that I came across Pavel Brendl's junior stats in his draft year.  Holy moly, he put up 73 goals and 61 assists in 68 games in the WHL in his draft year and it wasn't like he was playing with other super stars.  How the hell did he turn into a bust?

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

You could sorta say that Dany Heatley qualifies in that he was the first forward taken after a goalie at number 2, and played another year at college before joining the Thrashers.

As a complete aside, as I was researching that I came across Pavel Brendl's junior stats in his draft year.  Holy moly, he put up 73 goals and 61 assists in 68 games in the WHL in his draft year and it wasn't like he was playing with other super stars.  How the hell did he turn into a bust?

I was actually posting on the Prospects HFBoards around the time of Pavel Brendl and can speak to this - first off, his fitness and skating were both question marks at the time, as well as his defense.  Second, while Brad Moran never really got a chance in the NHL, he was a great junior player before Brendl got there and went on to be an excellent AHL player - I think he helped more than you might guess at first glance.  When Moran left in 2000, Brendl dropped to 1.5 PPG, which is still good, but not great for a guy who was almost at 2 points a game 2 years before.  Third, I suspect Brendl was somewhat lucky that first year in Calgary.

3 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Nico showing off the new, highly coveted, "New Jersey Devils Nightgown"

The collar and tie definitely isn't helping the look any.  More than any other sport to me, young just-drafted hockey players always look so kid-like to me (like any typical teenager)...almost hard to believe that guys like Nico will soon be skating on NHL ice with men, some of whom will be twice his age. 

11 hours ago, Triumph said:

I was actually posting on the Prospects HFBoards around the time of Pavel Brendl and can speak to this - first off, his fitness and skating were both question marks at the time, as well as his defense.  Second, while Brad Moran never really got a chance in the NHL, he was a great junior player before Brendl got there and went on to be an excellent AHL player - I think he helped more than you might guess at first glance.  When Moran left in 2000, Brendl dropped to 1.5 PPG, which is still good, but not great for a guy who was almost at 2 points a game 2 years before.  Third, I suspect Brendl was somewhat lucky that first year in Calgary.

I kind of remember both Brendl (4th overall in 1999) AND Lundmark's (9th overall in 99) work ethic being called into question on several occasions.  Couldn't have been a much worse draft for the Devils...they got 57 NHL games out of Mike Commodore.  That was it (though he was one of the pieces moved in the Sykora and others for Friesen, Tverdovsky, and that Russian guy with a lot of consonants at the end of his name). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The collar and tie definitely isn't helping the look any.  More than any other sport to me, young just-drafted hockey players always look so kid-like to me (like any typical teenager)...almost hard to believe that guys like Nico will soon be skating on NHL ice with men, some of whom will be twice his age. 

I kind of remember both Brendl (4th overall in 1999) AND Lundmark's (9th overall in 99) work ethic being called into question on several occasions.  Couldn't have been a much worse draft for the Devils...they got 57 NHL games out of Mike Commodore.  That was it. 

The rest of the WHL that year must have been huffing industrial strength glue before, during and after games if Brendl was out of shape and had a poor work ethic yet he could still dominate like that when his best teammate only became a career AHLer. 

^and with hall getting killed out there without anyone to step up for him...same with schnieder...im not saying that you need a big hitting team but these assets need to be protected...pens were lucky crosby was able to come back from being concussed mid series.

maybe wood can hit but he loses it and the power play cant do anything about it.

So we have to wait until he makes the team to get his jersey number.??  Imo, theres No doubt he's going to make the team ,with his skill set and skating. Small quick skaters play in the NHL, they're elusive. Nico will certainly be here.  Hopefully he won't be the only youngster playing with the club for the first time.  If McLeod steps up, and one of our recent 2nd rounders this will be an exciting year.