Devils select Nico Hischier #1 overall in 2017 Draft

Triumph

1 hour ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Again, not really funny and yet really funny - you can't make this sh*t up: 

Dave Isaac‏ Verified account @davegisaac  

#Flyers say Nolan Patrick has "an infection in his face," which has kept him from going on the ice the last couple of days.

That can't be real, can it?  Did that quote come from the Onion? 

Are they still holding development camp in Philly?  I thought their camp took place a week before ours.

1 hour ago, Chuck the Duck said:

That can't be real, can it?  Did that quote come from the Onion? 

Are they still holding development camp in Philly?  I thought their camp took place a week before ours.

Actually confirmed on Flyers Twitter and Sportsnet site. 

Whist i don't want the guy to have success at the flyers I really would hate to see his entire career be ravaged by injury. 

He has got to be thinking "what next" at this stage. 

1 hour ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Actually confirmed on Flyers Twitter and Sportsnet site. 

Whist i don't want the guy to have success at the flyers I really would hate to see his entire career be ravaged by injury. 

He has got to be thinking "what next" at this stage. 

I went over to their Twitter account to check it out.  As expected, the comments are glorious.  :lol:

https://twitter.com/NHLFlyers/status/888016754282311681

Edited by Chuck the Duck
  • Like 1

I've seen this guy's charts too over the past few days. I'm not sure I understand how the right column corresponds to the bottom row. Is there any data to suggest that a player who scores in the 77+ percentile is likely to be a 1st line player in the future? If you look through more of the charts that he has made, you'll see that it seems like quite a lot of these players are looking like top 6 forwards, so I'm a bit skeptical. It would be nice to know where he gets that translation from. I get the feeling that it doesn't mean very much unless you're looking at a player's draft year stats. And even then, who knows.

If you look at that guy's twitter, you can see he did one for Pierre-Luc Dubois, the 3rd overall pick in last year's draft, after Matthews and Laine. Nico crushes him - and PLD is a big dude, should be dominating that league physically. AND PLD's chart is for his draft+1 year, as compared to Nico's draft year. So much for people saying that the 2017 draft wouldn't produce a top player... What makes it even more encouraging is that Nico was on a weak team, but his stats are being compared to the top forwards in the league.

If nothing else, it can give you an idea of where the Devils' prospects (he also did Speers, Bastian, and McLeod) stack up in those categories in comparison to other prospects.

Here are some of the charts:

McLeod (pretty awesome, considering his first half was not nearly as good as his second): 

Bastian: 

Speers: 

(and for fun, to compare to McLeod, here's the guy that was drafted by Ottawa after they swapped picks with NJ): 

Edited by nessus

That chart isn't all that encouraging, but it only takes a highlights video of Studenic to feel quite optimistic about him. I'm not sure why he didn't put up many points, because this guy has tons of talent: speed, great release, and he's definitely got good vision and passing abilities. This season, he'll really pick it up and score a lot more IMO.

• 5 months later...

Some nice things said about Nico by Josi ahead of the Devils facing the Preds later this week:  https://www.nhl.com/news/rookie-watch-nico-hischier-new-jersey-devils-rookie-watch/c-295150896?tid=277548856

"When we first got together, I actually didn't know who [Hischier] was but we were practicing and running drills and I was thinking, 'This kid is unreal', so I found out", Josi said. "The skill set at his age is unbelievable. He's going to grow and get stronger. I remember when I was 18, there was no way I could have played in the NHL. Nico is going to be a superstar in this League for a long time."

"He's just a really complete player," Josi said. "He skates really well; is explosive. He makes great passes and has a great shot too, so he's got all the tools. Obviously, his hockey sense is off the charts."

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m happy with results so far, he has been advertised. Not a generational talent at age 18 but with tremendous upside. 

I think we chose well. 

He definitely needs to put on some muscle/weight, but he really is just a kid.  He's held his own with the big boys and though he really gets knocked around at times, he's never had me thinking that he's not ready for the NHL.  He's played in every game to date and is on pace for respectable numbers, given his age (about 51 points)...he was never expected to come in and just completely dominate the league from Day 1, like some kids do.  Looking forward to watching his continued development. 

I like that he's been able to click with Hall too, and that the Devils have given him some big minutes (he's also 4th overall in minutes per game for Devil forwards currently still with the team)...the Flyers are taking a much more cautious approach with Patrick, though his minutes are starting to increase a little. 

And I agree, he's just felt like the right choice from Day 1.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Again, since this is bumped, I'm putting this here for posterity (though this tweet is not so recent)! B)

Dan RosenVerified account @drosennhl
FollowFollow @drosennhl
More

It's a joy to watch Nico Hischier play. @mikemorrealeNHL pointed out to me that he thinks Hischier will win the Selke at some point. Can't argue with him. He's one of those players who does it all and does it all well. And he's 19.

8:34 PM - 15 Feb 2018
  • Like 2