Devils select Nico Hischier #1 overall in 2017 Draft

Triumph

29 minutes ago, Crisis said:

And if a player elects to play 4 years with their college team, they can enter the league as an UFA, such as what we saw with Hayes and Vesey (potentially Kerfoot)?

Yes, after a player completes his Senior year in college he's eligible to become an UFA on August 15th.

19 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

And guess where this year's 81st OA pick just decided to play? Harvard.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=300597

I wouldn't look at it as anything more than a coincidence to be honest. I actually heard Walsh may be returning to the USHL for another year to play for Chicago again, which will delay his college career by a year. Because of this extra year, I'm hoping the Devils see enough of the kid after his Sophomore year that they're comfortable giving him a contract. I've had a good feeling about Walsh for a while (even before we drafted him), think the kid has some real upside so I hope Shero and Co. don't leave anything up to chance with him.

Edited by CommonDreads

Just now, CommonDreads said:

Yes, after a player completes his Senior year in college he's eligible to become an UFA on August 15th.

I wouldn't look at it as anything more than a coincidence to be honest. I actually heard Walsh may be returning to the USHL for another year to play for Chicago again, which will delay his college career by a year. Because of this extra year, I'm hoping the Devils see enough of the kid after his Sophomore year that they're comfortable giving him a contract. I've had a good feeling about Walsh for a while (even before we drafted him), think the kid has some real upside so I hope Shero and Co. don't leave anything up to chance with him.

I hope you're right. I'm starting to not trust these Harvard kids.

8 hours ago, SMantzas said:

I urge all of you to watch his shift by shift clips on YouTube. The guy hardly makes a mistake in all three zones

I was watching this one a few days ago. He is always making the right play, which is particularly impressive, considering how fast he plays the game. I always praised Nolan for his vision and anticipation, but these shift by shift videos of Nico are showing me the same thing.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Patrick was supposed to be back on the ice in a couple weeks, now apparently he won't be skating after all at the WJC camp at the end of the month. Just seems like it's gonna be an ongoing story with this kid.

Again, so glad we took Nico considering all these injury issues.

IMG_1055.PNG

A report came out before the draft that the Flyers were worried about Nolan's injuries.  At around the same time, Shero said the Devils weren't.  I kind of wonder, notwithstanding Shero saying afterwards that they weren't leaving without Nico, whether he discussed swapping picks with the Flyers.  If so, wonder what the asking price was.

45 minutes ago, Daniel said:

A report came out before the draft that the Flyers were worried about Nolan's injuries.  At around the same time, Shero said the Devils weren't.  I kind of wonder, notwithstanding Shero saying afterwards that they weren't leaving without Nico, whether he discussed swapping picks with the Flyers.  If so, wonder what the asking price was.

Provorov+

*Flyers fans triggered all throughout Filthadelphia*

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Daniel said:

It's very hard to make a deal involving draft picks that are next to each other because if the Flyers get the sense that the Devils won't be taking the guy they want, the trade is silly.  I still have no idea how Shero conned Dorion into trading a 3rd round pick to move up one spot in 2016.

4 hours ago, Triumph said:

I still have no idea how Shero conned Dorion into trading a 3rd round pick to move up one spot in 2016.

It's easy to say that now...   but I remember the board not liking giving up Logan Brown for a 3rd rounder.

9 hours ago, aylbert said:

It's easy to say that now...   but I remember the board not liking giving up Logan Brown for a 3rd rounder.

It's not just who the Flyers thought we were taking at #1, it's who might jump up and take the player the Flyers want via a trade.  That's what happened in 2016 when we traded pick #11 for #12 plus a third.  The Devils didn't want Brown and had teams calling to trade up.  The Sens wanted Brown and were willing to make the deal because they feared the Devils trading out of that pick and them losing out on Brown in the process.  He must have been much higher on their draft board than #11, or they felt that there was a real drop off with the other available players after him, otherwise they don't make that deal.

Even if the Flyers had Nico as #1 on their draft board, the must not have had him graded that much higher than Nolan to justify trading up to get him. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Triumph said:

It's very hard to make a deal involving draft picks that are next to each other because if the Flyers get the sense that the Devils won't be taking the guy they want, the trade is silly.  I still have no idea how Shero conned Dorion into trading a 3rd round pick to move up one spot in 2016.

I don't really follow.  You had a clear top two in Nico and Nolan with opinion seemingly split 50/50. So Shero maybe hears things about the Flyers being worried about Patrick's health, and puts something out there saying the Devils don't have any concerns to see if the Flyers come forward and offer something good to switch spots.  Again, I understand that Shero said he wanted Nico all along, but I wouldn't expect him to say anything different even if that wasn't the full truth.

In the same way, it's fairly plausible that Shero put out that rumor about Makar to gauge interest from a few teams within a specified range about moving up and what they would be willing to offer.

43 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I don't really follow.  You had a clear top two in Nico and Nolan with opinion seemingly split 50/50. So Shero maybe hears things about the Flyers being worried about Patrick's health, and puts something out there saying the Devils don't have any concerns to see if the Flyers come forward and offer something good to switch spots.  Again, I understand that Shero said he wanted Nico all along, but I wouldn't expect him to say anything different even if that wasn't the full truth.

In the same way, it's fairly plausible that Shero put out that rumor about Makar to gauge interest from a few teams within a specified range about moving up and what they would be willing to offer.

Why would the Flyers be putting out credible information on their beliefs about Patrick's health, and why would the Devils do that?  What is either side's incentive to be truthful about what they believe vis a vis Patrick's health?  As it turned out, the Devils took Hischier and the Flyers took Patrick, so it's entirely possible that both sides were lying.

Regardless, the reason why I cannot remember any trades from 2 to 1 in my draft watching lifetime are because of what I just said.  If the Flyers want player X, and they don't think the Devils will take Player X, there is no incentive for them to trade up to get him.  

Chuck:  Okay yeah that makes sense.  The Devils got to stay as close to the top as possible and got a pick out of the Senators.

The Devils have signed No. 1 pick Nico Hischier to his 3-year entry level contract. Deal includes maximum $925K salary + performance bonuses. 

There's a pic with the article that shows him holding a #13 jersey... (ETA picture)

https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/devils-sign-nico-hischier-to-a-maximum-three-year-entry-level-contract/c-290404012

cut.png

Edited by LittleBallofHate

I hope so much he finds the same success here as Elias did. With Elias hanging it up and Nico coming in the same time frame it's just too perfect for it to not seem like passing a torch. I like how much it seems like he's excited, not only to be in the NHL, but be a Devil. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Nico article from ESPN. Nothing we don't already know but if anyone is interested.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/20088802/nhl-new-jersey-devils-rookie-nico-hischier-wants-next-pavel-datsyuk

Bad research...they just presented him with a #13 jersey when he signed his contract. I'm pretty sure they aren't going to now tell him he can't wear #13. 

Edited by mfitz804

1 hour ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Again, not really funny and yet really funny - you can't make this sh*t up: 

Dave Isaac‏ Verified account @davegisaac  

#Flyers say Nolan Patrick has "an infection in his face," which has kept him from going on the ice the last couple of days.

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

To be fair, most if not all Flyers players and fans look like they have some sort of infection in their faces.

I really don't have any comment beyond these.