Jump to content

Summary of and thoughts on Devils' 2017 Draft Picks


Triumph
 Share

Recommended Posts

I like the way Popugayev glides around on the ice and then let's a shot rip when he gets the puck. He definitely takes that from Malkin's style of play which is cool to see. Boqvist, Walsh, Zetterlund, and Studenic seem like interesting prospects as well. Overall I like this draft a lot. The past 2 years' selections have tried to focus on speed and offensive play. After years of big, slow, physical  utility players or undersized speedy skaters with no game, it's a nice change of pace. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

No

one

scouts like Castron, finds late round value like Castron! 

 

16 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

In the NHL Draft no one picks speed like Castron!

You guys are awesome.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

So many picks. I think after Hischier, I'm most excited about Nikita Popugaev.

N-Pop seems like the perfect 4th round choice IMHO.  Love Castron's quote on him: 

"He's a player with first-round ability written all over him...  But honestly, I never thought he'd drop to the fourth round because he's got an incredible shot. One of our scouts absolutely loves this kid and he's seen him play a lot, and we're really excited that we got him. He's got a lot of upside."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

N-Pop seems like the perfect 4th round choice IMHO.  Love Castron's quote on him: 
"He's a player with first-round ability written all over him...  But honestly, I never thought he'd drop to the fourth round because he's got an incredible shot. One of our scouts absolutely loves this kid and he's seen him play a lot, and we're really excited that we got him. He's got a lot of upside."

It's Big Poppy. Get it right. [emoji14][emoji1]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Onddeck said:

Nico here at Yankee stadium. They just put him up in the video board 

The Devils just tweeted out the picture - that's awesome! 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DDMF4pCW0AETHDV.jpg:large

Btw, they also posted a pic of him with his family and, looking at his dad, he should fill out just fine in time. Not worried - he'll eventually bulk up a bit. 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DDMEm0ZXgAAJ1O4.jpg:large

Edited by LittleBallofHate
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

The Devils just tweeted out the picture - that's awesome! 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DDMF4pCW0AETHDV.jpg:large

Btw, they also posted a pic of him with his family and, looking at his dad, he should fill out just fine in time. Not worried - he'll eventually bulk up a bit. 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DDMEm0ZXgAAJ1O4.jpg:large

Awesome 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/25/2017 at 10:12 AM, Devil Dan 56 said:

In the NHL Draft no one picks speed like Castron!

His picks are especially good at meeting expectations ..... oh what a guy, Castron!

But let's not get into whether or not every inch of him is covered with hair, okay?

 

Am I too late to this party?

Edited by AEWHistory
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/25/2017 at 2:42 PM, msweet said:

5:  #98 overall Nikita Popugayev, RW, Russia, Prince George Cougars (WHL)

Impressive highlight reel.. great shot might be a steal

 

 

I keep seeing him listed as playing for Prince George but isn't he wearing a Moose Jaw Warriors jersey in all the highlights.  Was he traded?    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lateralous said:

I keep seeing him listed as playing for Prince George but isn't he wearing a Moose Jaw Warriors jersey in all the highlights.  Was he traded?    

Yes, and his offensive numbers fell off considerably after he went from Moose Jaw to Prince George:  1.28 PPG with Moose Jaw, 0.57 PPG with Prince George (including six playoff games).  Might have been part of the reason that he fell to the 98th pick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yes, and his offensive numbers fell off considerably after he went from Moose Jaw to Prince George:  1.28 PPG with Moose Jaw, 0.57 PPG with Prince George (including six playoff games).  Might have been part of the reason that he fell to the 98th pick.

That's quite a drop off. But he's a 4th rounder so I will regard him the same as I did Boucher. If anything comes of him, what a steal. If not, no harm in trying especially in a "weak" draft where we had so many picks

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

That's quite a drop off. But he's a 4th rounder so I will regard him the same as I did Boucher. If anything comes of him, what a steal. If not, no harm in trying especially in a "weak" draft where we had so many picks

Oh I agree completely, I love the pick as a gamble pick, for sure. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I was looking back at some of the area teams drafts, and I have to say, that 2000 draft by the Isles has to be the dumbest picks in history. Just another reason Millbury should be fvcking banned for life

Screenshot_20170627-130543.png

Don't forget the Luongo and Jokinen for Parrish and Kvasha trade that same week!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Except from an NHL.com article on the draft - thought this snippet was interesting... 

So if there is a debate at the draft table once the Devils are on the clock, it's between positional players. One such debate happened in this year's draft when the Devils were about to make the 81st selection in the third round. According to Castron, Reilly Walsh and Nikita Popugaev were neck and neck, and the decision to select Walsh -- a smaller, two-way defenseman -- over Popugaev - a 6'6" power forward - came down to positional need. They had already selected three forwards and after Walsh there weren't a lot of defensemen on their list that would be the best player available at their next selection, 98th. Because they wanted to make sure they stocked up on quality defensive prospects as well as skill up front, they chose Walsh at 81. Seventeen picks later, Popugaev was still on the board and they were able to get him too.

"If we didn't take Walsh, we had another long run of forwards and we would have never gotten a D," Castron said. "And then at the end it was like all we had were D - but those were two players that were very close on the list and we opted for Walsh, and I honestly didn't think we'd get another shot at Popugaev, but I'm glad we did. He's got a lot of talent and obviously a lot of size and could be a home run for us, especially getting him in the fourth round."

https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/devils-ready-to-move-forward-with-11-new-prospects/c-290176774

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Except from an NHL.com article on the draft - thought this snippet was interesting... 

So if there is a debate at the draft table once the Devils are on the clock, it's between positional players. One such debate happened in this year's draft when the Devils were about to make the 81st selection in the third round. According to Castron, Reilly Walsh and Nikita Popugaev were neck and neck, and the decision to select Walsh -- a smaller, two-way defenseman -- over Popugaev - a 6'6" power forward - came down to positional need. They had already selected three forwards and after Walsh there weren't a lot of defensemen on their list that would be the best player available at their next selection, 98th. Because they wanted to make sure they stocked up on quality defensive prospects as well as skill up front, they chose Walsh at 81. Seventeen picks later, Popugaev was still on the board and they were able to get him too.

"If we didn't take Walsh, we had another long run of forwards and we would have never gotten a D," Castron said. "And then at the end it was like all we had were D - but those were two players that were very close on the list and we opted for Walsh, and I honestly didn't think we'd get another shot at Popugaev, but I'm glad we did. He's got a lot of talent and obviously a lot of size and could be a home run for us, especially getting him in the fourth round."

https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/devils-ready-to-move-forward-with-11-new-prospects/c-290176774

This would be a really nice story if Popugaev reaches his potential. Honestly, I'm more excited about him than Walsh!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.