HHOF Class of 2017

MadDog2020

Paul Kariya isn't a hall of famer to me, didn't even play 1000 games or have 1000 points, 0 Stanley Cups,  only 2 years where he even got past the 1st round of the playoffs. Not like it really matters anymore since I find it being more and more like the WWE hof where almost everyone eventually gets in anyway. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

Paul Kariya isn't a hall of famer to me, didn't even play 1000 games or have 1000 points, not like it really matters anymore since I find it being more and more like the WWE hof where almost everyone eventually gets in anyway. 

If Kariya is in, Patty damn well better get in. I don't think Kariya's a HOF'er either. No issue with any of the other inductees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Paul Kariya isn't a hall of famer to me, didn't even play 1000 games or have 1000 points, not like it really matters anymore since I find it being more and more like the WWE hof where almost everyone eventually gets in anyway. 

If Kariya is a HOFer, then Elias should definitely get the nod. 

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

If Kariya is in, Patty damn well better get in. I don't think Kariya's a HOF'er either. No issue with any of the other inductees.

You beat me to it by 2 seconds

• Like 3

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

Just now, Chuck the Duck said:

If Kariya is a HOFer, then Elias should definitely get the nod. 

Absolutely agree with both of you, Elias is a sure fire hall of famer now. I edited my original post to include some more stats as to why I don't think Paul Kariya is a hall of famer. 

• Like 1

He averaged exactly a point per game for his career. 15 years but lost a LOT of games over some of those due to injury. He's one of those guys that if he hadn't had injury issues, there wouldn't be any question. 

But, I personally don't take "he would have been" a Hall of Fame as a reason to let him in. He is borderline, its not completely offensive that he is in though. 

For comparison, Pat LaFontaine is a guy who got in despite having a shortened career due to injury. He scored over 1,000 points in well over 100 games less than Kariya. 

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Word. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He averaged exactly a point per game for his career. 15 years but lost a LOT of games over some of those due to injury. He's one of those guys that if he hadn't had injury issues, there wouldn't be any question. 

But, I personally don't take "he would have been" a Hall of Fame as a reason to let him in. He is borderline, its not completely offensive that he is in though. 

For comparison, Pat LaFontaine is a guy who got in despite having a shortened career due to injury. He scored over 1,000 points in well over 100 games less than Kariya. 

Word. 

LaFontaine played in a very different era than that in which Kariya played the majority of his career.

8 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Paul Kariya isn't a hall of famer to me, didn't even play 1000 games or have 1000 points, 0 Stanley Cups,  only 2 years where he even got past the 1st round of the playoffs. Not like it really matters anymore since I find it being more and more like the WWE hof where almost everyone eventually gets in anyway. 

He was pretty close on both counts...989 points in 989 GP.  And though he did miss a lot of games, he did play in all 82 of his team's games 7 times (I think he was a holdout with the Ducks a couple of times too, which also cost him some games). 

I agree though, that he falls short of being a H-O-Famer...I get that he played a big chunk of his career in Dead Puck and averaging a point per game in that era is no small feat, but if he got in, it would feel more like he got in because of how his career was projecting early on, as opposed to what he actually did.  Very very good player at his best, but not for long enough. 

• Like 1

If Kariya is in, I fail to see why Mogilny isn't.

With Kariya, the magic career numbers and lack of Cups don't bother me as much as the fact that if you don't have them, you should have dominated the game for a sustained period of time.   It's why I absolutely believe Lindros deserved it and should have made it in his first year of eligibility.  Right up until the Stevens hit, there was no one in the league except maybe Jagr in his prime who scared you more when he had the puck.  And even today guys like Crosby and Ovechkin don't really do that, at least not like Jagr and Lindros did.  

I didn't watch a lot of Kariya at his peak, but I don't get the sense that he was one of those players.  Still, it's not really an outrage.

Patty will probably get in when Alfredsson does.

I agree that Kariya may not be a HOF-er.  But please remember that it's the HHOF and not the NHLHOF.

For his other accomplishments, I clipped this from Wiki:

Internationally, Kariya represented Canada on numerous stages and at different levels. He won gold at the 1993 World Junior Championships, his second appearance at the tournament. He made his first appearance at the Winter Olympics in 1994 as an amateur, winning silver. Eight years later, he helped Canada win gold at the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City. In between Olympic appearances, he won gold and silver at the 1994 and 1996 World Championships, respectively.

Yes, this makes #26 an HOF-er too.

16 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I can't argue with any of the players there. I would add a "what the fvck" for why it took so long for Andreychuk. 

The argument I used to make for Andreychuk is that, at one point in his career, he compared almost scarily eerily to Joe Mullen, who got in very quickly (retired in 1997 at 39, inducted in 2000)...and for these samples, they played at just about the same exact time (Mullen's NHL career started one season ahead of Andreychuk's):

Mullen:  1062 GP, 502 G, 561 A, 1063 Pts, +163, 18.0 S%

Andreychuk (through 1997):  1083 GP, 503 G, 561 A, 1064 Pts, +84, 15.1 S%

Mullen was definitely a superior playoff performer and more decorated from a hardware standpoint, and was also a star at Boston College (he didn't make his NHL debut until he was 24), and I'm not suggesting that Andreychuk was better or as good, but the above numbers are close enough that you can make a case for Andreychuk getting in earlier than he did.

Of course, Andreychuk's offense (which was already in decline by the end of the above sample) dropped off significantly from 1997-on, and his numbers post-97 were nothing special:  556 GP, 137 G, 137 A, 274 Pts, -46, 11.2%.  He clearly wasn't the same player as he had been at his peak, but he could still help and was a solid vet, and was the captain of the Lightning when they won their Cup...it always felt like to me he almost was penalized for continuing to play as a different (but still useful) kind of player.  If he had quit after 1997, do the voters look on his career more favorably (even though he never would've won a Cup)? 

Always respected Kariya. His HOF 'signature moment' was definitely the "Off the floor, on the board!" goal in 2003. Even coming against us, can't help but respect that. Now, had we dropped that series I'm sure it would be one of the most devastating moments in franchise history. Thank God we took care of business. I enjoy looking back being able to appreciate that moment and respect it as a great contribution to the history of the game, all the while not breaking out into a cold sweat knowing we finished the job.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

Always respected Kariya. His HOF 'signature moment' was definitely the "Off the floor, on the board!" goal in 2003. Even coming against us, can't help but respect that. Now, had we dropped that series I'm sure it would be one of the most devastating moments in franchise history. Thank God we took care of business. I enjoy looking back being able to appreciate that moment and respect it as a great contribution to the history of the game, all the while not breaking out into a cold sweat knowing we finished the job.

I'll never ever forget that moment.  Stevens' big hits were one of my favorite things about our 90s and early 2000s teams.  It's something I miss of that era and style of hockey and the game, and when he delivered that hit, especially against a star player, my reaction was "Hell yeah, he just took out their best player, in a legal way. Yes!".  And then when he returned to the game I was quite shocked, and of course not long after that when he ripped one top shelf glove side on Marty, I was just like "What the fvck?  How?".  So glad we did end up winning that series.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I'll never ever forget that moment.  Stevens' big hits were one of my favorite things about our 90s and early 2000s teams.  It's something I miss of that era and style of hockey and the game, and when he delivered that hit, especially against a star player, my reaction was "Hell yeah, he just took out their best player, in a legal way. Yes!".  

I have an 8x10 of what I believe is that hit on my office wall to this day. 

A62560FF-D86A-4172-B85B-4808D3ACBF0F_zps

The thing I remember most is Kariya regaining consciousness, he starts breathing again and his eyes popped open, right on camera. 

Definitely one of the most memorable Devils moments, aside from the obvious ones. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I have an 8x10 of what I believe is that hit on my office wall to this day. 

A62560FF-D86A-4172-B85B-4808D3ACBF0F_zps

The thing I remember most is Kariya regaining consciousness, he starts breathing again and his eyes popped open, right on camera. 

Definitely one of the most memorable Devils moments, aside from the obvious ones. 

That is freaking awesome. I remember two things from that as well -- basically just as your photo shows, Kariya dropped like a sack of potatoes.  Like, literally his body just went straight to the ice, like there was a string attached to the #9 on his jersey and someone yanked it.  The second thing was also like you mentioned when he was on the floor and regaining consciousness...I haven't looked it up yet, but isn't that the hit where you could see the puff of air come from his mouth/lungs?  I almost distinctly remember seeing that from one of the camera angles during the game.   It was pretty insane.

31 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I'll never ever forget that moment.  Stevens' big hits were one of my favorite things about our 90s and early 2000s teams.  It's something I miss of that era and style of hockey and the game, and when he delivered that hit, especially against a star player, my reaction was "Hell yeah, he just took out their best player, in a legal way. Yes!".  And then when he returned to the game I was quite shocked, and of course not long after that when he ripped one top shelf glove side on Marty, I was just like "What the fvck?  How?".  So glad we did end up winning that series.  

Same here. Stevens was a big part of the reason I started following the Devils in the early 2000's. I love all the speed and skill in the game today but I do miss some of the physical stuff, big open ice hits (without it resulting in a team scrum), guys having to pay a price in front of the net, etc.

• Like 1

Definitely have much respect for Kariya.  He was a great offensive talent.  His resurrection from the dead after Stevens literally killed him in 2003 was nothing short of amazing, then he scores a goal to top it off.  I have to say, after seeing that happen, I thought we were in trouble in game 7. 

Edited by Chuck the Duck
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...