Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Daniel

2017 UFA Thread

Recommended Posts

The start of legal tampering seems like as good a time as any to start a thread devoted to UFAs.  Good place to discuss potential UFA signings and, come July 1, UFAs that sign with other teams.

I will start off with my opinion that I'd like the Devils to pull out all the stops to sign Shattenkirk.  It might get ugly towards the end, but he brings a skill set we need, and we could use the excitement.

While we're at it, I'm kind of intrigued by the idea of Joe Thornton.  Reportedly he's seeking a three year deal, which isn't a killer for a team with cap space.  I think he could also be a real mentor to Nico in the sense that Jumbo Joe's career got off to a bit of a slow start after being a number 1 pick, which could be helpful to Nico if he doesn't set the world on fire immediately.  I guess he doesn't fit the fast attacking whatever style, but not everyone on your team needs to be a burner.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the players the Devils might go after are Kevin Shattenkirk, Karl Alzner, Roman Polak, Cody Franson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think FA route for D is interesting. Shattenkirk and Alzner. I actually think Alzner helps us more TBH in terms of stability and giving some coverage to Moore, Severson or Greene to be more offensive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoping we sign Bennett, who's apparently now a UFA. As far as other UFA's go, I really don't see the need for any more offensive players; there aren't any free agents I'd want playing over Zacha/Nico/McLeod. I hear people mentioning Joe Thornton but I have no idea where he fits into the offense that's decently enough filled:

Hall, Henrique, Nico, Zacha, Palmieri, McLeod, Bennett, Quenneville, DSP, Wood, Cammalleri (ugh) and Noesen all have great chances of being on the team next year. That's already 12 forwards... plus guys like Josefson and Blandisi. I'm not sure an old and slow Thornton makes a whole lot of sense for a team trying to get younger and faster, even if he would help mentor Nico. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Hoping we sign Bennett, who's apparently now a UFA. As far as other UFA's go, I really don't see the need for any more offensive players; there aren't any free agents I'd want playing over Zacha/Nico/McLeod. I hear people mentioning Joe Thornton but I have no idea where he fits into the offense that's decently enough filled:

Hall, Henrique, Nico, Zacha, Palmieri, McLeod, Bennett, Quenneville, DSP, Wood, Cammalleri (ugh) and Noesen all have great chances of being on the team next year. That's already 12 forwards... plus guys like Josefson and Blandisi. I'm not sure an old and slow Thornton makes a whole lot of sense for a team trying to get younger and faster, even if he would help mentor Nico. 

I'm kind of going on the assumption that Henrique is getting traded.   Things really look that way.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Daniel said:

I'm kind of going on the assumption that Henrique is getting traded.   Things really look that way.  

I would be very disappointed and very confused. He's on a relatively friendly contract, he's on the good side of 30 and he's literally the only forward worth a damn with playoff experience. I guess you can count Kyle Palmieri's 1 (or 2?) first round losses with the ducks, but aside from that it would be nice to have someone here who's done it at the biggest stage.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I would be very disappointed and very confused. He's on a relatively friendly contract, he's on the good side of 30 and he's literally the only forward worth a damn with playoff experience. I guess you can count Kyle Palmieri's 1 (or 2?) first round losses with the ducks, but aside from that it would be nice to have someone here who's done it at the biggest stage.

Depends on the return.  I don't see his playoff experience as indispensable.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Daniel said:

Depends on the return.  I don't see his playoff experience as indispensable.  

I guess I just don't see it. He's one of the few forwards that is a total fan favorite. He's by far the best selling jersey, save maybe Schneider. With a team already struggling to fill seats, I can't see how that would end well. Ostensibly you'd be trading forward who's beloved for a solid defenseman - a move that makes a ton of sense to fans on NJDevs but definitely isn't the most exciting player the masses are ever going to see. I remember that Paul Martin was getting boo'ed off the ice frequently before he signed that big contract with Pittsburgh. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I guess I just don't see it. He's one of the few forwards that is a total fan favorite. He's by far the best selling jersey, save maybe Schneider. With a team already struggling to fill seats, I can't see how that would end well. Ostensibly you'd be trading forward who's beloved for a solid defenseman - a move that makes a ton of sense to fans on NJDevs but definitely isn't the most exciting player the masses are ever going to see. I remember that Paul Martin was getting boo'ed off the ice frequently before he signed that big contract with Pittsburgh. 

I understand what you are saying but we are still a draft or two away from having a lot of movable assets (thanks Lou).   The team needs to be thinking long term but they also can't possibly go into next year without at least finding 1 more D man that can make an outlet pass.   With that in mind, which of our limited assets with any type of trade value are you more willing to part with than Henrique to address said defensive issue?     

Edited by Lateralous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Polak? eww. Maybe a few years ago. What are they gonna do, pair him with Lovejoy? Seconded on Jumbo Joe

Edited by CarpathianForest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Daniel said:

I'm kind of intrigued by the idea of Joe Thornton. Reportedly he's seeking a three year deal, which isn't a killer for a team with cap space. I think he could also be a real mentor to Nico in the sense that Jumbo Joe's career got off to a bit of a slow start after being a number 1 pick, which could be helpful to Nico if he doesn't set the world on fire immediately.

Sign me up too. Then trade Kovy and a conditional 3rd to the Habs for Galchenyuk.

Galchenyuk, Henrique, Nico, Hall, Palmieri, Thornton.. your Top 6. #LetsGo

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm kind of going on the assumption that Henrique is getting traded.   Things really look that way.  

I have the same hunch. I don't think Henrique is here come October.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I guess I just don't see it. He's one of the few forwards that is a total fan favorite. He's by far the best selling jersey, save maybe Schneider. With a team already struggling to fill seats, I can't see how that would end well. Ostensibly you'd be trading forward who's beloved for a solid defenseman - a move that makes a ton of sense to fans on NJDevs but definitely isn't the most exciting player the masses are ever going to see. I remember that Paul Martin was getting boo'ed off the ice frequently before he signed that big contract with Pittsburgh. 

If you make decisions to appease the fans, you'll be sitting with them. Shero isn't gonna decide to trade or not trade Henrique because he sells jerseys and the idiots on Facebook and Twitter like him.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I understand what you are saying but we are still a draft or two away from having a lot of movable assets (thanks Lou).   The team needs to be thinking long term but they also can't possibly go into next year without at least finding 1 more D man that can make an outlet pass.   With that in mind, which of our limited assets with any type of trade value are you more willing to part with than Henrique to address said defensive issue?     

I don't, and that's why I feel strongly we should overpay significantly to land the UFA defenseman we like. We're not gonna be even remotely close to a cap-team for the next 3/4 years, there is no reason to not use a tangible asset like money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:


If you make decisions to appease the fans, you'll be sitting with them. Shero isn't gonna decide to trade or not trade Henrique because he sells jerseys and the idiots on Facebook and Twitter like him.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well that's clearly an oversimplification of my point. I like him, and I have neither Facebook nor twitter. I don't see the value in trading a home-grown fan favorite forward on a good contract. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I guess I just don't see it. He's one of the few forwards that is a total fan favorite. He's by far the best selling jersey, save maybe Schneider. With a team already struggling to fill seats, I can't see how that would end well. Ostensibly you'd be trading forward who's beloved for a solid defenseman - a move that makes a ton of sense to fans on NJDevs but definitely isn't the most exciting player the masses are ever going to see. I remember that Paul Martin was getting boo'ed off the ice frequently before he signed that big contract with Pittsburgh. 

I see FAR more Henrique's than Schneiders...especially on the ladies, cause they think he's a handsome bastard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well that's clearly an oversimplification of my point. I like him, and I have neither Facebook nor twitter. I don't see the value in trading a home-grown fan favorite forward on a good contract. 

Oh I like him too, he's an all-timer in Devils history for 2012 alone. I bought a Henrique jersey myself last year. I'm just saying that if Shero gets offered a deal that makes sense and improves the team, he can't really worry about the PR backlash of trading a fan favorite, that's all.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I see FAR more Henrique's than Schneiders...especially on the ladies, cause they think he's a handsome bastard. 

My wife, and her two Henrique jerseys, shamelessly agrees. 

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Oh I like him too, he's an all-timer in Devils history for 2012 alone. I bought a Henrique jersey myself last year. I'm just saying that if Shero gets offered a deal that makes sense and improves the team, he can't really worry about the PR backlash of trading a fan favorite, that's all.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can agree with that and concede my point. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I see FAR more Henrique's than Schneiders...especially on the ladies, cause they think he's a handsome bastard. 

My gf certainly likes him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with what's been said. Would be a shame to see Henrique get moved when he is one of the few guys that seems like he really wants to be here and appreciates his role though. NJ isn't a huge hockey market and doesn't have the all star talent that used to make other players interested in coming here anymore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to get Shattenkirk.  I think Shero simply cannot be outbid for him at this point.

If he wants to play at THA GAHDEN under DA BRIGHT LIGHTS then there's nothing we can do about it (except throw more money his way) but cash and term shouldn't be of concern imo.  We won't be cap-crunched for a good while yet.

Edited by Devilsfan118

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Have to get Shattenkirk.  I think Shero simply cannot be outbid for him at this point.

If he wants to play at THA GAHDEN under DA BRIGHT LIGHTS then there's nothing we can do about it (except throw more money his way) but cash and term shouldn't be of concern imo.  We won't be cap-crunched for a good while yet.

Isn't that a Boston accent?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Isn't that a Boston accent?

Yeah, should be DA GAWDEN, if anything.  As in "Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh..."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Isn't that a Boston accent?

34 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, should be DA GAWDEN, if anything.  As in "Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh..."

 

Hah, fair enough - I gave it my best shot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

 

Hah, fair enough - I gave it my best shot

I will donate $5 to the website if you change your avatar. 

*shutters*

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.